Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mahyde
Stats: 119/110/110
WOE: moderate carbs/Zone
Start Date: April 2001
Low Carb Fruit Cakes??

Any recipes for this?

Thanks
mahyde is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2004, 12:20 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
I don't have a low carb recipe but I do have a recipe that's been in my family for many years, it's actually good.

I don't think a low carb fruit cake would be possible with all that candied fruit in it.

White Fruit Cake

5 large eggs
1/2 pound butter
1 cup white sugar
1 3/4 cups sifted All purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 pound candied cherries
1 pound candied pineapple
4 cups shelled pecans
1/2 ounce bottle vanilla extract
1/2 ounce bottle lemon extract

Chop nuts and fruits into medium size pieces; dredge with a small amount of flour. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add well beaten eggs and blend well. Sift remaining flour and baking powder together. Fold into egg and butter mixture. Add vanilla and lemon extracts; mix well. Add fruits and nuts, blending in well. Pour batter into greased, paper lined 10 inch tube pan. Place in a cold oven and bake at 250° for 3 hours. Cool in pan on cake rack.
Makes a 5 pound cake.

Allow cake to age 24 hours before serving. Can be wrapped in foil and frozen for up to one year. Thaw in foil at room temperature.

Last edited by BettyR; 11-12-2004 at 12:22 PM..
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:41 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buttonwillow
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: RE-start date Feb. 2, 2008
I occurs to me that fruit cake could be made with candied orange and lemon peel, which had been "candied" with one of the crystalized sugar alcohols, like xylitol.

Now, I haven't done this myself but I'm on the verge of doing it. I very much like to make candied peel at this time of year, partly to give as gifts and partly to put into cakes. I don't really like the candied fruit you buy because the flavor is not good. I had also been in the habit of using dried fruit in fruit cake, because the flavor is so far superior to the usual candied fruit.

The theory seems reasonable. I'll report back to this thread when I do the experiment.

If it works, a very acceptable facsimile of full-carb fruit cake could be made. If it is mostly filled with nuts and a bit of faux candied peel, eggs, spices, then using Carbquick subbing for the little bit of flour that's needed, I think it would work out.

Do I hear a second?

Started Atkins 2/4/03
Height 5' 6"
Start Weight-- 165
Re-induct 2/3/08
Reduce carbs & calories 6/28/09
Weight on 9/13/09 151.5 lbs
buttonwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: heidimontana
Try dried apricots and raisins and dates and chopped slivered almonds, but only a 1/4 cup or so of each. I already made it and everyone loved it. It has a yummy frosting as well. Makes 2 mini loaves.

I should check I just got Dana Carpender's book - More 500 low-carb recipes. Maybe she has one in there. I also notice Atkins has a holiday baking book out - maybe they have a recipe in there? I just go to the library and look when I don't want to spend the money on a book. I can pick up good tips that way.
heidimontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:06 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. Gives me some good ideas.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:12 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helper
Buttonwillow

Yepper!! I totally second it. Be waitin' for that recipe. Thanks,
helper
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:34 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
MMMM That white fruit cake sounds good. Seems like it would be easy to sub dried fruits and CQ. Plus with enough rum or brandy
This might be a good one for ChefGreg
chickiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:05 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
I sifted through some of my old tried and true high carb fruit cake recipes this afternoon, and think that I have a couple of things that will work. I have Tuesday off, so will try at least one of them, maybe both and let you know. My plan is to use a few raisins, some coconut chips, pecans or walnuts, some snipped dried apricots, some snipped dried apples, and some fresh pineapple. I never liked the citrus fruit in the recipes anyway, so this should make an even better fruitcake.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:00 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Bette. Let us know.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:13 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Peel Candied w. Xylitol

My experiment was a success.

I cooked my orange peel as usual, sliced it up, then cooked the slices in a syrup of 1/2 cup water plus 1/2 cup xylitol. They came out the same as peel cooked in sugar syrup.

Two problems with this: the expense of xylitol or any sugar alcohol and the carb count for orange peel. I looked it up and was very surprised to find 100 grams of uncooked peel contains about 25 g. carbs and about 10 of fiber. That's way too high.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:06 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
1/2 cup of orange peel has 12 grams of carbs and 2 of fiber, for a net of 10 grams. Spread over an entire fruit cake, I don't think that's too bad! How much would you be using, and how many servings?
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:59 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Dear Auntie,

Half a cup of peel for an entire fruitcake, to me, is pretty sparse. Any fruitcake I've ever made has called for up to 4 cups (and more) of nuts and candied fruits together, in about equal amounts.

I wouldn't rule out a "fruit" cake made mostly with nuts, but now we're into panforte territory.

I was in Italy recently and tasted panforte, "strong bread". It evolved from a more bread-y product which had some fruit and nuts in it, to more of a fruitcake or confection which is very dense with nuts and a little dried fruit and/or candied peel. It is held together with honey and sometimes a little lemon juice. It often has a tiny bit of flour in it. This concoction could more reasonably be adapted to low carb sensibilities with sugar free pancake syrup or DaVinci's which has been boiled down to a thick syrup, plenty of nuts, l.c. bake mix, and a small amount of peel candied with xylitol or similar crystaline sugar alcohol.

In fact, I made panforte from a recipe I found on the web. Although it tasted like the ones I sampled in Tuscany, the consistency and mouth feel was rather different. This recipe called for ground nuts as well as whole ones. I'm still looking for a recipe that will turn out a product like the ones I tasted abroad and will be adaptable to low carbing.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:12 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Bumping the thread to see if anyone has any success in finishing a recipe for fruit cake.

'Tis the season, well, almost!
magnamater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:03 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater
Bumping the thread to see if anyone has any success in finishing a recipe for fruit cake.

'Tis the season, well, almost!
Have you seen the recipe for Aunt Ruth's Pecan Cake? That to me is a very holiday type of cake and it's soooooo good!

AUNT RUTH'S PECAN CAKE
posted by Motts Landing and tweaked by several people including myself.

In bowl mix dry ingredients together :
2 cups of almond flour
1-1/2 cups of Carbquik + 1 tablespoon
1 tablespoon double acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups Polydextrose
1-1/2 cups Splenda
1/4 cup Erythritol
1 tablespoon of SteviaPlus

Then mix wet ingredients together:
2 sticks of melted butter
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 jumbo eggs or 5 large

Then mix wet ingredients with dry stirring with a wooden spoon until well combined. Then add pecans and stir well.
3 cups of pecans

This a VERY THICK DOUGH

Cut a piece of wax paper to fit the bottom of a very large cast iron skillet. Spray the skillet with Pam, place the wax paper on top of the Pam and spray again.

The size skillet I use is 10 inches across the bottom of the pan, 11 inches across the top and the sides are 3 inches deep. There is a number 2 on the underside of the handle. I think that's supposed to be the size.

(Place a shallow pan of water on the lower rack of the oven).

Bake at 325 degrees approx. 1 hour & 10 minutes (more or less depending on your oven). The cake should rise up to the top of the pan and then it should fall in the middle. That's when you will know it is done.

Take the cake from the oven and run a knife around the sides to loosen it and place a plate over the pan then turn the cake out onto the plate.

Comes out crunchy, crusty on the outer edges and chewy, gooey on the inside. NO FROSTING NEEDED. Freezes very well also.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:10 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
HEY BETTY!! Where ya been hidin', girl? I haven't seen you for a while!!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rrosser
I haven't tried this yet, but I received it in my email and it sounds interesting. It definitely will get your gears to turning and maybe you can tweak it into something good.

I don't know the nutritional info on this because she didn't include them. Maybe someone can run it through Master Cook.

Fruitcake (sort of)

Hi All,
I haven't had much time to do things in my kitchen this year, but I've had a
real hankering for some fresh fruitcake (not the human kind ) lately and I
thought I might experiment a bit with an old recipe. I did come up with
something that's pretty edible - although, I think I might need to add a bit
more Splenda and cinnamon to get it just right. So you can experiment
yourself, here's the recipe - BTW it takes a little more prep than usual. I
also don't have the exact carb count, but it makes 30 or so servings, and I
haven't stalled on it.

1 lb blue berries (I used frozen)
1 15oz can pitted tart cherries packed in water (drained)

Here is where the work comes in: You leave the blueberries and cherries
to drain for a while (I did overnight), and then spread them on a roasting
sheet and set them in a 180 degree oven and dry them (I did for about three
hours). To those of you who have a dehydrator, this part is easy.

Now for the rest of the ingredients:

1 cup ground flax seed meal (you could probably use half flax and half chia
seed meal to make it more interesting)
2 cups whole walnuts (pecans will do, too)
1 cup whole hazelnuts
1 cup whole almonds
1 stick softened butter
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cherry flavoring
1 cup (or more) Splenda (or other sweetner)
3 eggs
1/4 cup brandy (optional)

Mix all of these ingredients plus the dried fruit together and divide them
into three small loaf forms that are lined with parchment paper. Bake the
cake at 350 degrees for about an hour (maybe shorter or longer depending on
your oven). I have a convection oven and it bakes the little critters pretty quickly.

If any of you try this recipe, let me know if you like it. Have fun.

Gabi
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/LowVolALCSS/
Old 10-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski
HEY BETTY!! Where ya been hidin', girl? I haven't seen you for a while!!
Haven’t really been around much. We bought a new house and signed the papers tail end of July, took possession and moved in August. Started getting the old house fixed up to sell and then hurricane Rita hit Southeast Texas; which is where we live.

Both houses survived the storm but we are still without water and power; Saturday will be two weeks. So we’re living with my oldest daughter and her husband. Their house is on the West side of where the storm hit and they didn’t get any damage.

We’re very lucky that our houses weren’t torn up and that we have a nice comfortable place to live while they put this part of the country back together. I have no room to complain at all, but I really want to get life back to normal. We’ve been living with my daughter since September 24th, when the storm hit. You know what they say about houseguests…They’re a lot like fish; after three days, they both start to stink. They’ve both been very gracious but I know they have got to want to get their lives back to normal as well.

Hope you’re doing well.
Betty

Edited to add pictures of the new house. This is the real estate listing and that is the previous owners furniture.
http://harlistings.marketlinx.com/Se...3&PropType=RES

Last edited by BettyR; 10-04-2005 at 10:04 PM..
Old 10-05-2005, 04:06 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Xander's Grandm
I haven't made this but was in the Low Carb Luxury Magazine!

Maureen

Lower Carb Fruitcake
12 servings
Adapted from Alton Brown's Free Range Fruitcake
• 1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
• 1 C sugar free vanilla syrup
• ¼ C golden raisins, snipped in half or roughly chopped
• 5 dried plums (prunes), diced
• ½ 12 ounce package cranberries, dried (see note)
• ½ 16 ounce package frozen blueberries, dried (see note)
• ½ C sugar free dried cherries
• 6 dried apricots, diced
• Zest of one lemon, chopped
• Zest of one orange, chopped
• 1 C golden rum
• ½ C + 2 T sweet (unsalted) butter (1+1/4 sticks), softened
• 1 C double-strength cranberry apple herb tea
• ½ tsp cloves
• ¼ tsp allspice
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp ground ginger
• 1/2 C almond flour
• 1 C vanilla whey protein powder (Designer Whey)
• ¼ C vital wheat gluten
• ¼ C oat flour
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 2 eggs
• ½ C toasted pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped
• Brandy for basting

Combine the diced ginger and sugar-free syrup in a large microwave-safe container and microwave on high for 2 minutes, or simmer together on the stove-top for 2 o 3 minutes.

Combine the ginger mixture, dried fruits, and both zests with the rum, and allow to macerate overnight, or microwave for 5 minutes to re-hydrate the fruit.

Combine fruit, liquid, butter, apple cranberry tea, and spices in a non-reactive pot and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes. You can complete up to this step ahead of time, and refrigerate this mixture up to 2 days until you're ready to continue baking. Let this mixture come back to room temperature before continuing.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine the dry ingredients and sift them into the fruit mixture. Stir just to combine, then add the eggs one at a time and stir until they are well mixed. Stir in the nuts.

Spoon into a well-greased standard loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes; check for doneness with a toothpick. Do not under bake this cake, and don't worry too much about over baking - because of all the fruit (and later basting with brandy), it's not as subject to being dry as other low carb baked goods can be.

You can also bake about 4 mini-loaves; start testing for doneness at about 25 minutes.

Remove the cake(s) from the oven and cool on a rack. Baste the top with brandy and allow to cool completely before removing from the pan. When the cake is completely cooled, seal in an air-tight container, and baste with brandy every 2 or 3 days.

The cakes flavor will deepen and develop over time, but I've never had one last more than a week, so I can't say how long the shelf-life actually would be! Traditional fruitcakes, with all their sugar and alcohol, will keep for weeks well-wrapped on the shelf, but please store these lower-carb lovelies in the refrigerator just to be safe.

Note: I couldn't find sugar free dried cranberries or blueberries anywhere, so I dried my own. Simply rinse and dry either fresh (cranberries) or frozen (blueberries) fruit, and arrange in a single layer on parchment paper (not wax paper - the fruit will stick; aluminum foil may work but I haven't tried it, so you're on your own there), and then dry the fruits at the lowest temperature your oven will hold. Mine goes down to about 225 degrees, which worked out fine. I think 175 degrees would actually be ideal. It will take several hours but all you really need to do is put them in and forget about them for an hour or so, then check on them periodically until they are nicely dried out. Do not skip this step! You need to use dried fruit so that they will absorb the flavor of the rum and spices and give you that authentic fruitcake step.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:11 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey there, thanks to both Xander's Grandma and rrosser.

I'll give em a try.

BTW, I am another Xander's Granny--he's 6 and doesn't like to be called Xander anymore, but I slip anyway! (also Granny to 4 more)
Old 10-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Xander's Grandm
Cute! Magnamater...my Xander is 7...doesn't have his friends call him that but I'm allowed...as is his Mom...I also have one new DGS Keegan 4 mos!

Maureen
Xander's Grandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:48 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kayecat
Stats: 220/211/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: many times 9-1-97
Maureen,

Did they have a carb count for the Low Carb Fruit Bread?
kayecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:36 AM   #22
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Betty, great house pics, how pretty! And your own lake too?! I'm glad you didn't sustain any damage....hope things return to "normal" soon for you and your family!

Where do the horses sleep???

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski
Betty, great house pics, how pretty! And your own lake too?! I'm glad you didn't sustain any damage....hope things return to "normal" soon for you and your family!

Where do the horses sleep???

Char
You can’t see it in these pictures, but the people whose property is next to ours have a horse pasture and barn. It’s behind the trees on the right side of the house. They’re letting us keep our horses there until we can clear some land and put up a fence and a barn. We have some really nice neighbors.
Betty
Old 11-07-2005, 02:32 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Citrus Fruitcake

I finally made a real fruitcake, following my own advice, and the result is below. Though quite lemon-y and orange-y, it tastes good, and it's an amazing fruitcake-like substance (ha-ha). And no, I haven't figured out the carb count.

Citrus Fruitcake

1 scant cup MiniCarb Lemon Cookie mix
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup nuts --I used walnuts, almonds, and pecans
1/2 cup each candied lemon and orange peel
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease a small loaf pan, approx. 4" x 8", then line with parchment paper.

Stir the cookie mix and baking powder together. Add the nuts and peel and stir till well coated. In a separate bowl beat the eggs slightly, add the vanilla extract, then pour into the other ingredients and mix until well combined. The result is a batter that's pretty thick but not dry.

Pour batter in loaf pan. Bake about 45 minutes. Remove pan from oven when the top and edges are golden brown and toothpick tested in the center comes out dry. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes then remove from the pan, peel away the parchment, and cool completely.

Soak with rum or whiskey in the usual fashion, if you like that sort of thing.

Notes:
**The candied peel is made as I described above, in a previous post. I used xylitol with the orange peel and erythritol with the lemon peel. They came out the same so I can't recommend one sugar alcohol above the other.
**As for using some kind of low carb flour instead of the cookie mix, I suspect the result would be similar. I decided to use the mix because I had it, and because it was already formulated to result in something realtively tasty and attractive. This recipe is not intended to make anything cake-like; it's more to just bind the nuts and fruits together. I should think Carbalose or WPI or the other one, along with the eggs, would provide this binding effect.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, buttonwillow, this sounds promising.

Would you use less lemon (cookie mix vs. other mix) for your taste, or was it just right?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Magnamater.....The lemon cookie mix was all I had, so I used it. The cake part of the fruit cake has only a slight lemon flavor but if I had a choice I would use something else. The nuts don't have a strong flavor so the fruitcake tastes mostly of the candied peels. I think the overall flavor would be better if the cake were of a more neutral flavor.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:49 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Chayote

I was lying in bed this morning and wondering how I could create more ingredients for fruitcake. We've been talking about chayote on another thread and I thought about using it because it reminded me, visually, of citron. I knew I could boil it in something sweet but the result would be something soft and mushy. How could I get something firm?

The light bulb went on.....put it in a DEHYDRATOR. And that 's what I did. I had cooked half a chayote several days ago and put it in the fridge. I took it out--there was about a cup of it in chunks--put it in a saucepan and almost covered it with some mango flavor Da Vinci's. I cooked it till the syrup evaporated, then did the same again. I drained the chunks and put them in the dehydrator.

The dried chayote was really good. I think it was too sweet, so in my next experiment I'll cook it in the syrup only once. It was kind of like fruit leather and you could make it just for that reason. But I'm going to use it for another ingredient in low carb fruitcake. I wonder if the same method might work for other mild flavored vegetables too. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for other possibilities.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Call me crazy but. . .

For the "cherry" part maybe the chayote with marachino cherry d vinci's?

For the "pineapple" part, maybe with something pineapple-y. Extract is pretty good here, but you'd need some sweetner.

Okay, finally, do you use coconut in some of your fruitcakes? Know I used to

and what about some cranberries or blueberries, already LC?????

Not actually trying, just thinking here.

Thnx, buttonwillow!

Last edited by magnamater; 11-11-2005 at 02:11 PM..
Old 11-11-2005, 08:13 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

MM, I've never used coconut in fruitcake. I've seen recipes that called for it and, although I like it, it never appealed to me as a fruitcake ingredient. But in this case I might make an exception, as our low carb versions obviously need more stuff.

I like your suggestion to make "cherries" and "pineapple". I can just see a loaf of fruitcake decorated on top with strips or chunks of variously colored and flavored "fruits".

I'm thinking radishes might work as another bland base material. If you remember the radish thread, once cooked, radishes lose their sharp flavor. I tried one of the recipes and it came out pretty well. It's worth a try and I'll pick some up next time I'm at the produce store.

All this is quite labor intensive and may put people off. Fortunately, all of this preparation can be done well in advance and the "candied" peels and veggies can be stored in airtight containers, like Food Savers, and then refrigerated or frozen.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:23 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
So, I'm wondering, Buttonwillow, if you ever made up your bulk recipes of "candied citron-like" goodies for that fruitcake? Did you find other good candidates besides chayote?

It's brilliant; I'm going to take a crack at it sometime before Christmas, add it to my project list!

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote