Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2004, 02:55 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Galoutofdixie
Stats: Back up to 156 :(
WOE: Atkins-Induction
Start Date: March 2004
Anybody ever make fudge?

Howdy folks!

With the holidays approaching I would like to make some fudge. I've got a craving.

Anybody here got a good LC fudge recipie. Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Chris
Galoutofdixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: bybs54
Stats: 58 pounds GONE!
WOE: Low Carb/Calorie Aware
Start Date: 1-27-03 GOAL 12-03! Still Maintaining!! :)
Here's an idea......

I do fudge at the holidays too....here's one I came up with last year....and it went over well with everyone... they didn't know about low carbing! You could probably use any brand of candy bar....really easy.

Patti’s Fudge - YUMMY!! 2003

8 Pure Delite Milk Chocolate bars (1 oz) 24
8 Pure Delite Dark Chocolate bars 0
16 T of whipped cream cheese (1 cup) 4.26
2 T plus 1 teaspoon of SF Da Vinchi choc syrup 0
1 T SF Da Vinchi Vanilla syrup 0
½ to 1 cup of nuts… 2.5- 5.0
*optional 6 drops of liquid Splenda…Patti did this 0

Break the chocolate bars into smaller pieces and melt in microwave…careful not to burn…do it small time frames and stir. Put into glass bowl to mix.
Add the cream cheese and blend by hand.
You may have to put it back in microwave periodically to melt the chocolates again to make it easier to mix.
Add the sf syrups and mix
Add nuts and mix.
(line pan with foil) Spread into a 9 ¼ X 6 ½ aluminum disposable pan.
Place in refrigerator to harden.
Gets about 48 pieces…about .70 carbs per piece (reg. fudge is 20 carbs per piece)

Enjoy!

GOOD FRIENDS ARE LIKE STARS....YOU DON'T ALWAYS SEE THEM, BUT YOU ALWAYS KNOW THEY ARE THERE!!!!!!

I miss ya Pop...Oct. 26, 1918 - Oct. 19, 2006 & Mom...Aug. 20, 1928 - March 30, 2009. Please watch over us all.
bybs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #3

Gallery: GAllison
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: January 2000
This is a really good recipe, these two ladies spent days tweaking and passing this recipe back and forth until they felt that it was perfect, and I can tell you that it is really good!

LC Fudge
Posted on Low Carb Eating by Maggie and Char
(13.5 carbs for the whole batch)

1/2 cup erythritol-0
3/4 tsp. Trishz's liquid Splenda-0
1/2 cup cream-4
1/3 cup cocoa-6
1 T. regular butter (didn't have unsalted!)-0
1 T. DaVinci chocolate syrup-0
Few drops real vanilla extract-1
½ cup broken pecans-2.5

Cooked all except the butter, DV, and vanilla in the microwave (the ONLY way I cook candy!) - 2 minutes, stirred well, 1 minute, stirred well, 1 minute, stirred well, 45 seconds - soft ball! (Your MW mileage may vary - mine is older and 700 watts.)

Added the butter, DV and vanilla, and let sit as long as I could stand it. I kept moving the bowl around on the counter to a cool spot every few minutes. (Patience, I ain't got none of!) When it was cool enough to touch the bottom (and I used an 8 quart Pyrex batter bowl, BTW) I beat in the butter and stuff. When it started to stiffen up just a bit, I stirred in the nuts, then poured it into a buttered 3 cup disposable ZipLoc plastic container. And INTO the fridge she went!

Well, DH and I just tried it. Now, he is NOT a big chocolate fan - but he thought this was great! It set up perfectly. Not too hard, not too soft. Not grainy. It DOES still have a very mild "cooling" effect, DH didn't remark on it, maybe it's just because I KNOW the erythritol does that!
GAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 04:11 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Try this thread.
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Tee hee! I came to post my fudge recipe - but it's here already! I'm the CHAR of the "Maggie and Char" fudge recipe!

It is really good, if I DO say so myself! I'm looking forward to making it again this year.

Char
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:47 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
The low carb fudge recipe would have been perfect had it not been for that cooling effect from the sugar alcohol. I wonder if you use less of it and more of the Splenda if that would cut it some. This fudge was perfect otherwise. Very good.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
This is my favorite one and it's also good for frosting a cake if you don't let it set up to hard, the second one is quick and easy and very good too, but a little grainy.

Table Cream Fudge

2 cans (7.6 oz each ) Nestle Table Cream Chilled (mex section at WM)
5 Tbsp of sugar sub. of your choice to equal 2 1/2 cups sugar.
3 oz Sugar - free Chocolate--broken into pieces
4 Tbsp sifted cocoa of choice
2 tsp vanilla

Chill the cans of cream in the refrigerator for sverals hours or overnight. Carefully drain all the liquid from each of the cans of chilled cream. Put the remaining solid cream in a heavy stainless sauce pan. Add the sweetener and stir.
Over medium heat, bring to boil.
Boil, stirring constantly, for exactly 7 minutes. You may need to lower the heat during cooking.
Just stir continually to prevent scorching.

Remove from heat immediately add:
Chocolate pieces.
Stir until melted.
Add the "sifted" cocoa, 1 Tbsp at a time, stiring until incorporated after each addition.
Stir in vanilla.

"No cook fudge"
1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
1 stick of butter
2 oz. cream cheese
1 cup of granular Splenda
2 scoops of vanilla Designer Protein Whey powder

Melt the peanut butter and butter in the microwave for 2 minutes on high. Stir and microwave for an additional 1 minute. Use a 2 quart size bowl as it will bubble up and over if you use a smaller one. Stir in 2 oz. of cream cheese. Stir in Splenda. Then stir in 2 scoops of the of the Designer Vanilla Whey powder ( the scoop comes in the container). Pour into a small dish that has been greased with butter . I use a 1 quart corningware square dish. Place the bowl in the refrigerator until cold and setup. Cut into 20 squares for a carb count of 2.2 per piece. If you just can't wait for the fudge to set up place in the freezer for a while.

: Just a note about peanut butter. Lately, I've been buying natural peanut butter made with Valencia peanuts. From what I've read, Valencia peanuts are grown in dry climates, therefore avoiding fungus problems of other peanuts, yuk! I found the Valencia peanut butter is less bitter and therefore tastes a little sweeter and it does have a creamier consistency. You can find this PB at Trader Joes or the 365 brand at Whole Foods.
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:45 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Galoutofdixie
Stats: Back up to 156 :(
WOE: Atkins-Induction
Start Date: March 2004
Hi all!

Wow! Thanks so much for all the great recipies! Now, decisions, desisions. Which one to try first? They all sound great!

Thanks again, you guys are the best!

Best regards,
Chris
Galoutofdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 03:03 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
I second the Table Cream Fudge, it's really good I'm gonna go make some right now. It does make a geat frosting for the 3 minute choc. cake.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 03:47 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 3boys4me
Stats: 5'11" pants size...18/8/8
WOE: Atkins Maintenance, goal 10/04
Start Date: 10/10(3wk break)11/06/03
Quote:
Originally posted by Tater Head

"No cook fudge"
1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
1 stick of butter
2 oz. cream cheese
1 cup of granular Splenda
2 scoops of vanilla Designer Protein Whey powder

Melt the peanut butter and butter in the microwave for 2 minutes on high. Stir and microwave for an additional 1 minute. Use a 2 quart size bowl as it will bubble up and over if you use a smaller one. Stir in 2 oz. of cream cheese. Stir in Splenda. Then stir in 2 scoops of the of the Designer Vanilla Whey powder ( the scoop comes in the container). Pour into a small dish that has been greased with butter . I use a 1 quart corningware square dish. Place the bowl in the refrigerator until cold and setup. Cut into 20 squares for a carb count of 2.2 per piece. If you just can't wait for the fudge to set up place in the freezer for a while.

I just made this but used chocolate shake mix instead of the vanilla DPW powder. It turned out fantastic. I do wish that since i used the shake mix that I added in some vanilla.

The kids loved it but it's VERY peanut buttery.
3boys4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 04:14 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally posted by 3boys4me
I just made this but used chocolate shake mix instead of the vanilla DPW powder. It turned out fantastic. I do wish that since i used the shake mix that I added in some vanilla.

The kids loved it but it's VERY peanut buttery.

Next time try using another nut butter that isn't as strong as PB. I have used chocolate designer whey and mac butter and it is very good too.
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #12
Gadget Gal

Just a note, since when I made this recipe (#3 above) you could buy Trishz's Sweetzfree liquid Splenda, and now it's gone - 1 1/2 teaspoons of Trishz's = 1 cup of sugar sweetness.

Adjust accordingly for whatever you use to replace it.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Charski, what is the difference between the Sweetzfree you can now purchase and Trishz's sweetzfree? I get the one you can now buy, was it once made by someone else, etc? Just curious.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #14
Gadget Gal

They were just "made" by different folks and in different concentrations.

If you go to LindaSue's site, she has the equivalents of lots of different forms of sweeteners on there.

Trishz's was the "original" liquid one that could be found easily, then she went out of business and Sweetzfree appeared, or there may have been a slight overlap when both were available - I don't remember now, it's been a while back!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

Here's the link to LindaSue's chart:

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Splenda Conversion Chart
Old 11-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Buffy, Trish's Zero Carb Syrup is a lot weaker than Sweetzfree.
LindaSue has a conversion chart on her site. You can compare the strengths. Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Splenda Conversion Chart

I actually take Sweetzfree, and make a weaker strength (the sthrength of Zero Carb). Sometimes I need less than one drop of Sweetzfree. I got the "recipe" for making the Zero Carb from Sweetzfree on this site some time ago. I wish I knew who to credit, but I failed to get that saved. I hate it when I fail to do that.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAllison View Post
This is a really good recipe, these two ladies spent days tweaking and passing this recipe back and forth until they felt that it was perfect, and I can tell you that it is really good!

LC Fudge
Posted on Low Carb Eating by Maggie and Char
(13.5 carbs for the whole batch)

1/2 cup erythritol-0
3/4 tsp. Trishz's liquid Splenda-0
1/2 cup cream-4
1/3 cup cocoa-6
1 T. regular butter (didn't have unsalted!)-0
1 T. DaVinci chocolate syrup-0
Few drops real vanilla extract-1
½ cup broken pecans-2.5

Cooked all except the butter, DV, and vanilla in the microwave (the ONLY way I cook candy!) - 2 minutes, stirred well, 1 minute, stirred well, 1 minute, stirred well, 45 seconds - soft ball! (Your MW mileage may vary - mine is older and 700 watts.)

Added the butter, DV and vanilla, and let sit as long as I could stand it. I kept moving the bowl around on the counter to a cool spot every few minutes. (Patience, I ain't got none of!) When it was cool enough to touch the bottom (and I used an 8 quart Pyrex batter bowl, BTW) I beat in the butter and stuff. When it started to stiffen up just a bit, I stirred in the nuts, then poured it into a buttered 3 cup disposable ZipLoc plastic container. And INTO the fridge she went!

Well, DH and I just tried it. Now, he is NOT a big chocolate fan - but he thought this was great! It set up perfectly. Not too hard, not too soft. Not grainy. It DOES still have a very mild "cooling" effect, DH didn't remark on it, maybe it's just because I KNOW the erythritol does that!
Oh cool, Char! Do you think stevia could replace the Splenda? Of course you've already come up with something genius like this. This looks pretty simple!

...and the cooling effect wasn't bad, really?!
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok, thanks and thanks for the link to Linda's chart, I just printed that out, it will really come in handy. I use the sweetzfree all the time.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #19
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmixedtape View Post
Oh cool, Char! Do you think stevia could replace the Splenda? Of course you've already come up with something genius like this. This looks pretty simple!

...and the cooling effect wasn't bad, really?!
Well it's worth a try, Lauren! Maybe half a recipe to start with?

We thought the cooling effect was NOT strong and what there WAS actually kind of added to the appeal of the fudge! Kinda like minty fresh fudge!

Uh, yeah, Crazywoman, that's the same link I gave just above your post....
Old 11-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post

Uh, yeah, Crazywoman, that's the same link I gave just above your post....
Oops!!! Sorry.
I think I was starting to type up my reply, before you posted that, and got distracted, and it took me a long time to get it finished & posted.
I swear your posts (neither of the ones just above my post) were not there when I started the post.

Anyway, I came here this time to ask you a question Char. But..... I just realized I looked at something wrong. Or I typed it in wrong when I put it in my computer files. Sooo... never mind on the question. I often live up to my screen name!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #21
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Oops!!! Sorry.
I think I was starting to type up my reply, before you posted that, and got distracted, and it took me a long time to get it finished & posted.
I swear your posts (neither of the ones just above my post) were not there when I started the post.

Anyway, I came here this time to ask you a question Char. But..... I just realized I looked at something wrong. Or I typed it in wrong when I put it in my computer files. Sooo... never mind on the question. I often live up to my screen name!
LOL! I suffer the same CRS problem at times, or the "take too long answering/posting and so don't see what the previous person posted" routine! At least we're all in it together, huh?!
Old 11-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, I've taken so long sometimes that 3 or 4 posts have been made before I got mine posted. Shoot, I started this one probably 20 mins ago.

Glad I'm not the only one that has the problems.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #23
Gadget Gal

LOL! Now what on EARTH could be MORE important, and distracting, than LCF?!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
These ideas look awesome! I may try to make some and bring it to Turkey Day at the in-laws' house. Then I won't be tempted by their non-lc stuff!!
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Good question. But today it was the DH. He thinks he more important.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #26
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Good question. But today it was the DH. He thinks he more important.
Uh oh - sounds like more training is needed...

Hey, DHs are allowed to feel important. As long as they return the favor!
Old 11-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Hey, I been workin on him fer almost 40 years! Robbed him from the craddle, and pert near raised him. But I spoiled him. He just ain't figured it out yet.

Yep, gotta make him feel 'portant sometimes!
And, yep he does reciprocate sometimes. (Well, lots of times.) I think I'll keep 'im. (prounounce with a long e --- eem).
Old 11-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Oooppps we've shore threadjacked this thread!!!

Back on subject.....

Char, I made your fudge today. I had to reduce the butter to 1/2 Tbsp, cause I was already having a hard time getting all the fat from the cream to stir back in. (It had seperated out while cooking.) I still had some that just never would blend in, and "settled" on top. I'll cut back on the cream some when I make it again, maybe adding water to make up the difference in the liquid. I used Sweetzfree (1/8 tsp) in place of the Zero Carb, and I don't have any chocolate DaVanci's. But I do have white chocolate, so I used that with 1 drop of Lorann's chocolate oil. It had a very slight off taste (which may have been the Lorann's). But it isn't too bad. I've had to fight myself to not eat it all today! Major portion control problem with this!!! And does have a slight cooling effect, again not a problem. I see I had better not make it again too soon, or too often! I'll probably use the white chocolate DaVinci's or vanilla if I'm out of the white chocolate next time, and leave out the chocolate Loranns.
I can only get DaVinci's at Sam's or TJ Max here. (Well WalMart & some of the stores do carry the small bottles for as much as the big ones cost, and I won't buy them.) And TJ Max is hit or miss (mostly miss). I rarely will order them (I've ordered onced - pineapple). For the most part, I just won't order it. So I'm very limited on what I can buy. I've never found Chocolate DaVinci's. I did find Artisan chocolate once, and bought it. I rarely throw anything away, but I finally threw most of that bottle away. I sometimes buy the Artisan, but usually avoid it, as it is usually so weak. I buy the almond & coconut in it mostly. Won't EVER buy the chocolate in it again!!!! Oops again.

Thanks for that fudge recipe Char. And thank you GAllison for posting it.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

I just made Char's fudge and it is very good. I didn't have choc davinci, so used vanilla and since my microwave is 1000 watts, I skipped the last 45 seconds of cooking. I also added 1T of notsugar to help with the cooling effect. It is the best fudge I have made so far trying the SF recipes. I ate a couple of teaspoons of it before it even made it to the fridge. Thanks Charski and Gallison for posting it.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #30
Gadget Gal

Buffy, I'm so glad you tried and liked it!

To me, it's the most reminiscent of the stuff my grandmother used to make - ooey gooey good stuff!