Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Chocolate Mayonnaise Pound Cake (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/276597-chocolate-mayonnaise-pound-cake.html)

GAllison 09-26-2004 10:04 AM

Chocolate Mayonnaise Pound Cake

This is another one of BettyR's recipes, she'd posted this recipe on the old Low Carb Luxury forum before it shut down. I've had it for quiet a while but I'd never made it before.

I made this yesterday morning to take with me to a friends house. Her husband was doing a BBQ for her birthday. He asked me to bring a low carb cake, they're low carbers also so he couldn't just go buy her a cake.

This makes the most beautiful low carb cake I've ever seen and it tastes just as good as it looks. We served it with low carb vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. I came home with an empty serving platter.

Thanks Betty for this recipe, I was very proud of all the complements I got at the party yesterday.

Opps! Edited! I had to correct some amounts of ingredients that I typed in wrong.

Chocolate Mayonnaise Pound Cake

3 cups almond flour
1 cup vital wheat gluten
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1-1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1/2 cup Erythritol
1-1/2 teaspoons liquid Splenda
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup vanilla Davinci syrup
2/3 cup cream

Put ingredients into food processor in order listed and process for 30 seconds, scrape down sides and process for another 1-1/2 minutes.

Pour batter into a greased and floured bunt pan and bake.
(I sprayed my nonstick bunt pan with cooking spray and then rubbed it in with a paper towel to get an even coat. I then used oat flour to flour the pan with.)

Bake as 325° for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Tater Head 09-26-2004 10:21 AM

Are you sure that 1 cup of vital wheat gluten doesn't over power it? I have made many recipes with less then a cup of that stuff and it can take over on the taste part sometimes. I want to try it but am afraid to waste that much ingredients if it taste weird.

Tater Head 09-26-2004 10:26 AM

[COLOR=royalblue]Here is a Mayo cake I know is good, but would love to try another one too :)[/COLOR]

CHOCOLATE Cake by JLATISLAW'S

I sifted all this together and set it aside.
(Dry)
1 C. SIFTED almond flour
1/2 C. SIFTED WPI
1/2 t. cornstarch
1/3 C. cocoa
1/2 t. baking soda

(Wet)
1/2 C. vegetable oil
1/2 C. mayo
4 lg eggs
1/4 C. Diabetisweet (this makes a big difference in the finished product)
SSub= 3/4 C. sugar
1 t. vanilla

Beat until very well blended (fluffy). Add dry ingred. and mix well. Mixture is thick.
Pour into 7x11 greased pan and bake @350* for 19-22 mins.

GAllison 09-26-2004 10:48 AM

Tater Head-
Yes I'm sure, I made this cake yesterday. I made it exactly as it is written.

I served this cake at a birthday party yesterday. I came home with an empty plate. I got a lot of compliments for this cake.

It's beautiful, it rises up to the top of the pan and doesn't fall when you take it out of the oven.

The texture is like real cake.

Tater Head 09-26-2004 10:52 AM

Ok Grrrrrreat !

eko42 09-26-2004 01:38 PM

Do you happen to know the nutritional info for this cake?

Erin---

Tater Head 09-26-2004 03:58 PM

Ok I made the cake today and it is very good and very cake like. Not as sweet as I would like but I did eat a piece room temp so maybe when it's cooler it will be sweeter tasteing. It did take the full 50 minutes to bake and I used a dark bundt pan.

In addition to the recipe I added 2 squares of melted unsweetened chocolate and a few more drops of liquid splenda to the mix (mext time even more splenda) For the frosting I melted 5 hershey bars with 1/4 cup heavy cream and dizzled it over the top of the bundt cake. 5 bars was too much so 4 bars would be perfect plus I'd add more liquid splenda to that next time too.

Best chocolate cake yet, and I can see this as brownies with added walnuts too.

GAllison 09-26-2004 06:04 PM

Tater Head-

The extra chocolate that you added is going to make a difference with how much sweetener you'll need to use.

I made mine as it was written and I thought it was chocolaty enough, but then I will admit that I'm not a real big chocolate fan. It's OK I just prefer vanilla, fruit or spice flavors.

The only reason I made a chocolate cake was that my friend is a chocoholic.

GAllison 09-26-2004 06:14 PM

Erin-
I got 79g of carbs for the whole cake.

kcduffer 09-26-2004 06:19 PM

I've saved this recipe to make. Can someone do a Master Cook on this recipe. I'd love to know the carb counts. Also, how many does it serve?

Master Cook is on my wish list for Christmas.:)

bybs54 09-26-2004 06:22 PM

If I don't have a bundt pan...what would you suggest for a pan?

Sounds yummy! :up:

GAllison 09-26-2004 07:28 PM

bybs54-

You could probably use a 9x13 inch pan.

tortpoint 09-26-2004 11:21 PM

Where do I get

erythritol

eko42 09-27-2004 12:20 AM

Thanks GAllison,

79 carbs for a whole cake doesn't sound too bad. How many servings would you say the cake makes?

Erin---

eko42 09-27-2004 12:26 AM

tortpoint,

An erythritol/Splenda combination is the answer for sweetening chocolate. I purchased my erythritol here on netrition.com. They have a flat rate for shipping that is $4.95 no matter how much you order. I wait until I need everything and put in a big order. I also bought Carbquik along with the erythritol on this last order and I am having a lot of fun experimenting with the Carbquick.

Erin---

Mona 09-27-2004 04:29 AM

Here is my MasterCook nutritional info for the Chocolate Mayonnaise Pound Cake.

This is for the entire cake:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 5156 Calories; 455g Fat (74.5% calories from fat); 209g Protein; 141g Carbohydrate; 58g Dietary Fiber; 1043mg Cholesterol; 3670mg Sodium.

This is for 12 servings:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 430 Calories; 38g Fat (74.5% calories from fat); 17g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 87mg Cholesterol; 306mg Sodium.

Unknown Items:

liquid Splenda (0 carbs)
vanilla Davinci syrup (0 carbs)
erythritol (0-120 carbs, depending on if you count Sugar Alcohol carbs)

Tater Head 09-27-2004 08:42 AM

This cake is big and high so you would get more then 12 servings easy from it. It is VERY chocolatey and now that it's had time to cool way down the sweetness is perfect. I also perfer white cakes and spice cakes too, but for a party this would be perfect. It didn't fall at all, it rose right too the edge of the bundt pan and a little above it in the middle.

A tip I learned watching the foodnetwork, is to help cakes rise is too brush your butter/oil up the sides of the pan and then add flour. I use cake release(wal-mart in craft section) which has both and then just brushed up the sides of the pan as well as the tube in the middle. Doing this gives the cake or anything that needs to rise something the hold on too. I used to just spray pam, but this tip works very well on my cakes and such.

CarolynF 09-27-2004 11:02 AM

This does sound delish....And with 3 cups of the almond flour,
1 cup of the vital wheat gluten is probably very doable..

Debbie: Thanks for the tip on the cake release..I never realized that the cake needs something to grab on to..Plus there is less
resistance when the cake is rising..Next trip I will get this..

Crink 09-27-2004 03:12 PM

I thought that the cake release stuff has flour in it??????

Tater Head 09-27-2004 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Crink
I thought that the cake release stuff has flour in it??????
It does, but your only brushing on a thin layer so I don't worry about that small of an amount. make sure you shake your bottle well first.

I got my liquid splenda from LCMAN's guy so I used what's in the recipe 1 1/2 tsp plus a few drops more for the unsweetened chocolate squares I added.

GAllison 09-27-2004 03:52 PM

The amount of liquid sweetener equals one cup of granular Splenda.

Jaideyes 09-29-2004 04:59 PM

Allison, thanks SO much for posting the BettyR recipe!
This cake is TO DIE FOR mmmmmm mmmmm GOOD
Here it is glazed with 3 SF Z-Bars melted with a bit of cream, and sliced with whipped cream on top...:cool:

http://tinypic.com/aplaa
http://tinypic.com/apl6h

Brendajm 09-29-2004 05:34 PM

That looks SCRUMPTIOUS!!! I am making that this weekend for sure...I am drooling just looking at the pictures.

GAllison 09-29-2004 10:26 PM

Jaideyes-
Your welcome and your cake looks wonderful.

You have one of those neat bunt pans. I've been wanting one for some time and I thought if I hinted around enough that someone would get me one for Mother's Day, a birthday or something. But it looks like if I'm going to get one I'll have to buy it myself.

This is really a good cake but as I've said I'm not a real big fan of chocolate. I've been wondering if this basic recipe could be used to make a vanilla, lemon or streusel pound cake. I may play around with it and see what I can come up with.

mahyde 09-30-2004 09:44 AM

How long would you beat this if you only have a Kitchen Aid Mixer. My food processor is the small KA type, not large enough.

Thanks

GAllison 09-30-2004 09:54 AM

I'm sorry I don't know. I've only made this cake the one time when I made it for the party and I used a food processor.

I kind of think the reason the recipe was written using a food processor is that the blades of the processor chop the almond flour even finer than it already is along with developing the gluten. So I'm not even sure that the texture of the cake would be the same in a mixer, but I may be wrong.

You could try it, even if the texture is a little courser it would still taste good. I think I would beat it at least 5 minutes.

mahyde 09-30-2004 11:32 AM

This cake is g r e a t, yum, yum. I may have beat it 15 minutes or so with my KA mixer. Almost forgot about it, lol.

I did have to sub the vanilla syrup with choc syrup as I was almost out of the vanilla. My Monin syrups go fast.

Thanks for the recipe.

Jaideyes 09-30-2004 04:39 PM

This is the first bundt cake recipe that fit perfectly into my (10 cup) rose petal bundt pan, no extra batter.
My daughter said it looked like Mount Chocolate lol
It is even better the next day, the cake is so moist and the glaze nice and fudgey. It goes together so quickly in the food processor, how easy! I brought some to work, now it's GONE, with rave reviews from non LC co-workers.
oo la la, I can't wait to hear about the vanilla and other versions you plan to try, Allison! :)

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 10-03-2004 11:38 AM

I did make this the other day, but I forgot to put in the baking soda. What would that have done? It was very good. It rose to the top and then fell a little. What does the baking soda do for it? Thanks JUlie

GAllison 10-03-2004 06:49 PM

Is the baking soda the only thing that you changed in the recipe?

The baking soda will react with the vinegar in the mayonnaise and make the cake rise, but if you forgot the baking soda and it rose anyway it should have been ok if you put everything else in and beat it long enough.

But I guess as long as it tasted good that's all that really matters.