Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
So I made this cake tonight, but halved the recipe. The other thing that was a sticking point for me is that I didn't know how much "liquid splenda" to use. I have liquid splenda in various concentrations, so I wasn't sure if it actually meant a tsp of the liquid or a tsp equivalent. I ended up adding three drops of sweetzfree and some extra erythritol.

In any event, even with my confusion, and the fact that my version didn't turn out sweet enough, this cake is a dream. In fact, it's a little too good. I ate two pieces before I could stop myself.

I hate to mess with perfection, but the calorie count on this cake is a bit high so now I'm going to start tweaking it. I'm thinking of playing with some z-trim and swapping some Carbquik for some of the almond flour.

I'd love to make an all Carbquik version, but one of the things I loved most about this cake is that it had no funny aftertaste, and I don't always trust Carbquik to pass the test with non-dieters.

Anyone done any experimenting with this?

BTW, I think Erythritol would be absolutely necessary in this cake and would not try an all splenda version. The Erythritol gives the cake body and texture, not to mention a cleaner sweetness. And no gastric issues!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2007, 12:29 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
This cake is big and high so you would get more then 12 servings easy from it. It is VERY chocolatey and now that it's had time to cool way down the sweetness is perfect. I also perfer white cakes and spice cakes too, but for a party this would be perfect. It didn't fall at all, it rose right too the edge of the bundt pan and a little above it in the middle.

A tip I learned watching the foodnetwork, is to help cakes rise is too brush your butter/oil up the sides of the pan and then add flour. I use cake release(wal-mart in craft section) which has both and then just brushed up the sides of the pan as well as the tube in the middle. Doing this gives the cake or anything that needs to rise something the hold on too. I used to just spray pam, but this tip works very well on my cakes and such.
Thank you SO much for the tip! I always use Pam - and my cakes don't rise as much as I'd like them to - thanks again
Barbara Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Barbara, would that, then, also apply to yeast bread (which does benefit from some oven rise, as well as the yeast rising)? Thanks.
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stickergoddess
Stats: 182/154/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 11/03/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAllison View Post
This is another one of BettyR's recipes, she'd posted this recipe on the old Low Carb Luxury forum before it shut down. I've had it for quiet a while but I'd never made it before.

Chocolate Mayonnaise Pound Cake

3 cups almond flour
1 cup vital wheat gluten
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1-1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1/2 cup Erythritol
1-1/2 teaspoons liquid Splenda
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup vanilla Davinci syrup
2/3 cup cream

Put ingredients into food processor in order listed and process for 30 seconds, scrape down sides and process for another 1-1/2 minutes.

Pour batter into a greased and floured bunt pan and bake.
(I sprayed my nonstick bunt pan with cooking spray and then rubbed it in with a paper towel to get an even coat. I then used oat flour to flour the pan with.)

Bake as 325┬░ for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
I made this cake this morning and I am having a slice right now-- this is by far the BEST low carb chocolate cake I have had!!
I made the recipe above- i used hersheys dark chocolate and it is awesome!
I also made a chocolate frosting. I used about 1/4 of an 85% Lindt chocolate bar
2 tablespoons sugar free chocolate chips
About 2 TBL heavy cream
1 TSP erithonyl (sp?)
1 TSP poly-d
Melted all of it together in a double boiler pan- then added davincis vanilla (about 2 tbl) then drizzled it over the cooled cake.

Proud Mom of 3 beautiful girls.
stickergoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Does it matter what brand of mayo you use or can you let me know which brand you used please? I generally buy hellmann's, but hey, I'm easy to get along with.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I baked this last night, using the recipe exactly as written. The batter tasted grainy and weird. It was still a little "off" when I tasted it warm, but after it cooled, it was amazing! Love it!
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:05 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
I baked this last night, using the recipe exactly as written. The batter tasted grainy and weird. It was still a little "off" when I tasted it warm, but after it cooled, it was amazing! Love it!
i have to ask you, was it all grainy tasting after it had cooled? i find that i don't care for so much almond in a recipe, but i am desperate for a good hunk of cake. kevin's zucchini brownie is a pretty good sub...tia!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
No, the texture was just fine after I baked it. I had another piece today and it was a bit drier, but a little whipped cream fixed that! I like it better than anything I've baked with Carbquick.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
i have to ask you, was it all grainy tasting after it had cooled? i find that i don't care for so much almond in a recipe, but i am desperate for a good hunk of cake. kevin's zucchini brownie is a pretty good sub...tia!
No, it isn't. However, I should note that I made two versions of this. One in the microwave and one that I baked in a silicone pan. The one that I baked was dry around the edges, but moist in the middle even a few days later. The microwave version seemed moister, and I will probably make it that way again.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
thanks you guys, i think i will try this on saturday, maybe throw in a 1/4 cup of sour cream, maybe it will make it more moist. thanks!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Does it matter what brand of mayo you use or can you let me know which brand you used please? I generally buy hellmann's, but hey, I'm easy to get along with.
I used Hellmans
Old 08-30-2007, 11:25 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Thank you. Great, I just happen to have some.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:46 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3leggedtable
Stats: 244/191/184 6 feet
WOE: general low carb
Start Date: 1-29-2007
Yummy!

I made the cake gluten free by substituting quinoa flour for the VWG. I also used Davinci's German Chocolate Cake Syrup instead of the vanilla.

Just my opinion but quinoa and chocolate bake together very well.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leggedtable View Post
Yummy!

I made the cake gluten free by substituting quinoa flour for the VWG. I also used Davinci's German Chocolate Cake Syrup instead of the vanilla.

Just my opinion but quinoa and chocolate bake together very well.
I may have to try the quinoa flour. I am pregnant now and doing moderate carbs, so i may try this flour now. I did a quick search and it has quite a bit more carbs then the gluten flour. I think gluten is about 5 carbs per 1/4 cup and the quinoa flour is about 18 per 1/4 cup.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:12 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lioness0455
Stats: 256.5/170/125
Start Date: 1/3/07
There is just two of us here most of the time, and I don't like to experiment much when my in-laws come home, (bil and sil), so I cut the recipe in half. I didn't have any erythritol at the time so I used 1/3 cup xylitol (I didn't know how much to use, but I thought I had remembered someone saying once that xylitol is less sweet?), a Splenda Quick Pack for the liquid splenda, and Kaluha sf syrup. I also added a tbsp of creme de cacoa. Then poured it into an 8x8 square glass baking dish, and baked it at 350 for 30 minutes. After it cooled, I frosted it with a basic cream cheese frosting, then sprinkled it with a bit of grated sf chocolate.

I was fairly disappointed with it the first night. It seemed dry and yeah, maybe a bit grainy as others said. But I had it wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, and was pleasantly surprised to find it was really moist and good the next day.

Does almond flour itself tend to make bake goods dryer? I've been reading you guys forever, but I can't remember if that's been talked about before or not.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:38 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
I've never felt that almond flour makes anything drier, but the VWG may. It's been a while since I've used so I may be wrong!
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:51 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
I just wanted to comment that I made this yesterday and It is really good. The absolute best thing I have ever baked low carb and I have experimented a lot. Even with Kevinpa's breads and they have never come out for me and I am a very experienced baker. I agree that it really needs to sit overnight. It changes the texture completely which seems to be the case with most low carb chocolate desserts for some reason.

I made with Kaluha Davinci's and added 1 heaping tsp of espresso powder.
Thank you GAllison for the original and Thank You Taterhead for bumping
shadowzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lioness0455 View Post
I cut the recipe in half. I didn't have any erythritol at the time so I used 1/3 cup xylitol (I didn't know how much to use, but I thought I had remembered someone saying once that xylitol is less sweet?), a Splenda Quick Pack for the liquid splenda, and Kaluha sf syrup. I also added a tbsp of creme de cacoa. Then poured it into an 8x8 square glass baking dish, and baked it at 350 for 30 minutes. After it cooled, I frosted it with a basic cream cheese frosting, then sprinkled it with a bit of grated sf chocolate.

I was fairly disappointed with it the first night.
You changed quite a bit about the recipe, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions about almond flour from this. Also, Xylitol is sweeter than Erythritol.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I made the Betty R version of this cake. I didn't have cream and wasn't about to go to the store, but I had buttermilk and used that. I used white chocolate SF syrup. It hasn't sat overnight, but I am still thrilled with it. The texture is excellent. It is not real sweet, but I like it that way and could always put sweetened whipped cream on top if I wanted.

It rose up high and looks beautiful. Be sure if you bake it in a different sized pan that you change the cooking time. I made mine in a bundt pan and it was perfectly moist. OF course it has some grainy texture due to it being made with nut flour and not pastry flour, but I love that bit of texture.

Excellent recipe. Thanks for posting it.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Does anyone know how much Splenda/sweetening power is in 2/3 cup DaVinci syrup (which I'll have to sub for)?
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:28 AM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
It's been posted before. I believe their website says 1 cup of Davincis has 1 1/3 cup sweetening powder. I used them 1 for 1. It seems to work for me. I do like things sweet however. I would like to know if anyone else has a ratio they use.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:31 AM   #82
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I have have used the 1 for 1 1/3 ratio and didn't feel what I made turned out sweet enough so I also use a 1 for 1 replacement ratio when I use it.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cricket4t
Stats: 285/200/160
WOE: Started with Atkins/Swithched to Caveman-Type
Start Date: May 3, 2007
Bumping

I was searching for something to make to take to a party this evening and I believe I’ll make this. I happen to have all the ingredients and it’s gotten some good reviews.

I’m very thankful to have a place that I can come to find a recipe like this and so many wonderful cooks who are willing to share their time and experiences to help others.
Cricket4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:47 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Forgive my laziness, but has anybody used Kevinpa's pastry cake flour blend in this cake?

I want to make it. . .but wondered if anybody had done so.

Sorry about the lazy streak. . .
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

The cake was a success, which is a miracle. I had mixed up the batter, which seemed horribly thick to me; I had put it in the cake pan when I went back and re-read the recipe and discovered that I had left out the cream.

I dug the batter out of the pan and put it back in the food processor and added the cream and re-mixed it. I then had to wash my cake pan and prepare it all over again.

I got a lot of complements on the cake. There was a professionally prepared and decorated high carb cake at the party; there was still some of it left but my cake was all gone.

I was asked to make the cake because the hostess knew that I’m doing low carb and several people who were coming to the party are diabetic and she wanted to have cake for everyone. I think she was very surprised at how well it turned out, to tell you the truth so was I.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:44 AM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I haven't tried Kevin's flour blend, but I think I might.

I thought I would add another version of this cake that I made. I love the texture of this cake, so I tried to modify it into a gingerbread cake. It isn't gingerbread, but a very yummy spice cake that satisfied my craving.

Chocolate Mayo Cake made into a Spice Cake

3 cups almond flour
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1-1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tablespoons ground ginger (yes, tablespoons)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (freshly grated makes a difference)
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp instant coffee crystals
2 tsp. blackstrap molasses
1/8 tsp black pepper

4 eggs
1/2 cup Erythritol
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup gingerbread Davinci SF syrup
2/3 cup heavy cream

Grease and flour a bundt pan. Pour in ingredients and bake in slow over at 325 for about 45-50 minutes. Test with cake tester. Remove from pan

I frosted it with a cream cheese icing made with cream cheese, powdered erythritol, not sugar, vanilla extract and cream.

Last edited by sungoddess; 10-07-2007 at 09:46 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

This sounds wonderful!! This will make a great cake for the holidays, thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I haven't tried Kevin's flour blend, but I think I might.

I thought I would add another version of this cake that I made. I love the texture of this cake, so I tried to modify it into a gingerbread cake. It isn't gingerbread, but a very yummy spice cake that satisfied my craving.

Chocolate Mayo Cake made into a Spice Cake

3 cups almond flour
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1-1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tablespoons ground ginger (yes, tablespoons)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (freshly grated makes a difference)
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp instant coffee crystals
2 tsp. blackstrap molasses
1/8 tsp black pepper

4 eggs
1/2 cup Erythritol
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup gingerbread Davinci SF syrup
2/3 cup heavy cream

Grease and flour a bundt pan. Pour in ingredients and bake in slow over at 325 for about 45-50 minutes. Test with cake tester. Remove from pan

I frosted it with a cream cheese icing made with cream cheese, powdered erythritol, not sugar, vanilla extract and cream.

Cricket4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:34 AM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Forgive my laziness, but has anybody used Kevinpa's pastry cake flour blend in this cake?

I want to make it. . .but wondered if anybody had done so.

Sorry about the lazy streak. . .
Janie, I have been wanting to try this with my mix so I gave it a shot.

Here is my stab with a small twist.
A half cake made in a 9 x 9 baking dish lined with non stick foil.

This is an excellent cake!!

Chocolate Blackberry Mayonnaise Pound Cake

2 cups lc cake and cookie flour mix
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
5/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1/4 cup Erythritol
1/2 teaspoons Splenda quick pack
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sf Monin blackberry syrup
1/3 cup cc milk

Calories: 153.67
Calories From Fat: 83.93
Total Fat: 10.42g
Saturated Fat: 2.01g
Cholesterol: 51.29mg
Sodium: 353.11mg
Potassium: 15.29mg
Total Carbohydrates: 9.42g
Fiber: 6.40g
Protein: 10.06g
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00003a.jpg (66.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00004a.jpg (38.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00007a.jpg (41.5 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Kevinpa; 10-08-2007 at 02:20 AM..
Old 10-08-2007, 04:33 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Kevin, is the nutritional information for 9 pieces?
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:39 AM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Kevin, is the nutritional information for 9 pieces?
yes, but it does not include the 1/4 cup erythritol.