Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2004, 01:46 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
The BEST!!! Carrot Cake

Anyone that can tolerate sugar alcohols, I tried April Field's carrot cake (free recipe at her lowcarbsweets dot com) website (http://lowcarbsweets dot com/cake.html) this weekend and it is FABULOUS!! The exact texture of a real carrot cake. And the taste....oh YUM! I did a couple tweaks on my recipe. I used white whole wheat flour instead of regular whole wheat, I added 1/2 tsp. baking powder as well as the baking soda, and I used half granulated Maltitol (didn't have the powdered) and half Diabetisweet as well as the Stevia she called for. Now ladies and gents this is a like a real cake. I also added 1 cup pecans to my batter rather than on top of the icing and I also spread some pecans between my layers on top of the middle icing. I only used two cake pans as I didn't have three but it turned out wonderful. I would recommend this cake to anyone. I feel like I'm cheating every time I eat a piece. Keep refrigerated if you make it. I think I baked it at 350 for about 35 min. But check at 30 min. Mine wasn't quite done at 30. I have April's cookbook (101 Low-Carb & Sugarfree Dessert Recipes) and would recommend that also but a warning that she does mostly use Maltitol in her products. I usually do a mix of Maltitol and Diabetisweet though.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I bet it's good, but way too carby for me. ! cup of whloe wheat flour is 87 carbs and only 15 fiber, not to mention the rest of the stuff. Maybe later down the road I'll try it. I did a cut and paste just in case. Plus the math doesn't add up at all, so they must be saying SA are free or something.

Last edited by Tater Head; 09-05-2004 at 03:43 PM..
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:30 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I'm doing Sugar Busters so I can have ww flour. I think April says it is 16 servings at 7.84 carbs per serving. I do not count sugar alcohol carbs. And I know it's a whole lot better eating this than sugared cake with white flour. I have a terrible sweet tooth. As April said, it's too bad the dentist can't do something for a sweet tooth. LOL
Old 09-06-2004, 09:34 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally posted by lgpars
Well, I'm doing Sugar Busters so I can have ww flour. I think April says it is 16 servings at 7.84 carbs per serving. I do not count sugar alcohol carbs. And I know it's a whole lot better eating this than sugared cake with white flour. I have a terrible sweet tooth. As April said, it's too bad the dentist can't do something for a sweet tooth. LOL

I hope I didn't upset you, that was not my intention if I did....sorry. It's just that I was shocked to see the contents of this recipe is all. I did do the math on it and the carb count she listed is without the SA, so she isn't counting them at all in the final net carb count.

As for Whole wheat flour being better then white flour, it isn't really that much better if at all IMO. Whole wheat flour is per cup 87carbs - 15 fiber = 72 net, white flour is 95 carbs-3 fiber = 92 net.

You really should consider counting at least some of the SA though, because Matitol has 2.1 calories per gram and table sugar has 4 calories per gram, so If it were me I'd at least count 1/2 of the SA calories don't just disappear into thin air IMO

Here is a chart to help, remember table sugar is 4 calories per gram:

TABLE 3:
Calories Per Gram of Sugar Alcohols 3

Sugar Alcohol Calories Per Gram
HSH 3.0
Sorbitol 2.6
Xylitol 2.4
Maltitol 2.1
Isomalt 2.0
Lactitol 2.0
Mannitol 1.6
Erythritol 0.2

Last edited by Tater Head; 09-06-2004 at 09:39 AM..
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:31 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I didn't take offense, Tater. Just explaining that SugarBusters doesn't count carbs. They just have to be low-glycemic and whole grain or whole wheat. And I know April does not count sugar alcohols in her carb counts. She believes they are negligible. Everyone counts differently and is on different eating plans. But anyway this is a great cake. And I probably will get much more than 16 servings too as I don't eat a huge piece when I eat it.