Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Need a recipe for SF Hot Pepper Jelly (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/268064-need-recipe-sf-hot-pepper-jelly.html)

cjack 08-27-2004 05:48 PM

Need a recipe for SF Hot Pepper Jelly

I think I could use a regular recipe and substitute splenda. However, you have to use liquid pectin with pepper jelly or it won't set up. None of those are recommended for SF recipes. Could I use plain gelatin in place of pectin? I hate to waste that much liquid splenda if it's not going to set up. Thanks for any help on this.

gungadinn1997 08-28-2004 06:05 AM

Hye...I was looking for a sugar free jelly recipe the other day....there are products out there that don't require sugar with the pectin to set it up. I can't remember the name off the top of my head but one was Mrs. somebody;s and the other was Pomade or something along those lines. Try doing a search on google for the pectin without sugar and you should find them!

HTH

Kim

Cocapelle 09-15-2004 02:31 PM

I would like that recipe, too! I'm also looking for a "tomato" recipe. I've had it, before, and it was made with orange jello. Anybody got ideas???;)

1BellaDonna 09-16-2004 08:39 AM

sounds like an interesting food, but...er...how do you eat it? :blush: i'm not familiar with pepper jelly. is it used in cooking? eaten on something?

do tell! do tell! :)

-letty

Cocapelle 09-16-2004 08:43 AM

My favorite, for pepper jelly, is with cream cheese, on a cracker. I have also eaten it on a steak. Yummy!!! :D

cgarza 09-16-2004 10:17 AM

Past thread on jams etc

You might want to check here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...ghlight=pectin

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 09-16-2004 11:00 AM

Do a search on google for Paula's Pepper Jelly, and you can buy it already made. Easy

rosethorns 09-17-2004 11:12 AM

I make a red pepper jam recipe would that help?

I also canned a pineapple mint jelly this summer. But you need pinapple mint leaves.

If you want it just holler. I use Pamona Universal Pectin cjack. This is great stuff. You can make jelly or jam.

Cocapelle 09-17-2004 11:37 AM

I would like the red pepper jam recipe, and also, where do you get the pectin?

PaminKY 09-17-2004 11:50 AM

I am so sorry but last night I looked in my book titled "Canning and Preserving Without Sugar" and it did have a recipe for mint jelly. I meant to bring the book with me this morning (I don't have Internet access at home) and post the recipe but I forgot it.

I know that you would need some tweaking because it used apple juice but I was thinking that you might could use some Lorann's apple flavoring mixed with liquid splenda and water. It didn't specify Pomona pectin but it did called for the same type ingredients that are used in it.

I will post the recipe Monday.

Pam

I don't know what I was thinking, I just reread the first post and saw that you were looking for hot pepper jelly. Where did I get mint? I check my book again this weekend.

rosethorns 09-17-2004 02:48 PM

I made this one many time it's wonderful. Here ya go:

Red Pepper Jam

6 chopped red peppers ( cook a little to soften)
1 c. vineagar
2 tsp. cinnamon
sweetner to equal 3 c. of sugar ( I use more than one for syngery effect)
1 c. water
3 tsp. pamona pectin
4 tsp. calcium water

Put soften pepper in large sauce pan, add sweetners, vinegar, cinnamon, and calcium water, cook for 10 mins. Now take 1 c. of water & boil, pour into blender and the pectin, whirl until completely dissolved. Pour into saucepan with peppers and stir until completely mixed.

Pour into jars and process for 10 mins. Makes 3 pints

This has a great taste.

rosethorns 09-17-2004 02:50 PM

Sorry .

The pectin is avaiable at any health food store.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 09-18-2004 10:20 AM

I would love the recipe for mint jelly. Yum with Lamb. TIA

cjack 09-19-2004 06:46 AM

Thanks everyone. Rosethorns.... What/where is calcium water?

rosethorns 09-19-2004 05:07 PM

Cjack....It comes in the Pamona Universal pectin box. It's a combination of pectin and calcium for the no sugar jam recipes.
It's kinda pricey ( $4.oo a box) but it make 3 to 4 recipes from 1 box.
I just made some jelly from the Hoods countdown juice. It's very tasty and easy.

Cocapelle 09-21-2004 10:13 AM

Thanks for the info. I am going to give it a try, this winter. I am not happy with what I can buy in the stores, so, this might help.:)

rosethorns 09-23-2004 07:53 AM

Cocapelle I'm with you, I don't like what I can buy in the stores.

I made all kinds of homemade jams and jellys and some unconvential ones.

Chocolate mint made from the leaves
pineapple mint
apple mint
Borage
chamimile
Spearmint

A lot of Tea leaves.

They really came out great.

Cocapelle 09-23-2004 08:07 AM

You sure do experiment, don't you. I just want pepper jelly and tomato. These are two unique jellies that I like. Thanks

Chefgreg 09-23-2004 08:26 AM

Jack
I make this all the time, and yes I use Splenda, there is also a no sugar pectrin and it works perfect, It does not require the properties of sugar to allow it ot set.

Good luck

ChefGreg

Boo1 09-23-2004 12:26 PM

rosethorns,

Please, please. please post your recipe using the Hoods Countdown Juice. I've never made jam/jelly. but this sounds so good. Very detailed instructions needed. TIA

Glade Girl 11-11-2013 04:58 AM

Sugar free hot pepper jelly

I'm looking for a refrigerator hot pepper jelly recipe using jalapeño peppers, crushed red peppers with powdered Splenda (or similar). I know that's a lot to ask! :D

Dottie 11-11-2013 05:15 AM

Glade that's an interesting challenge :)
There's no reason you can't cook your peppers down in water and sweetener (or something like sugar free torani orange syrup as a flavoring and sweetener?) then use unflavored gelatin to set it up :)

Soobee 11-11-2013 05:30 AM

This is the recipe I use. It's a tweaked version of Diana's. I use Pomona Pectin, which I love. We use Thai chilies because that's what we can get around here.
Hot Pepper Jelly Soobee
2 red peppers, chunked and seeded
1 ½ cup Thai red chiles, split and seeded and ribs removed
½ tsp. sucralose
1/3 cup powdered erythritol
5/6 cup cider vinegar
2 tsp. calcium water
2 tsp. pectin
Pinch salt
3 drops red food coloring
Put prepared peppers, calcium and vinegar in Vitamix. Blend until smooth. Put all ingredients in a saucepan. Boil for 2 minutes.

Here's Diana's original recipe.
Hot Pepper Jelly Dianafoot5 cups finely ground cayennes and habaneros or hot peppers of your choice
1 large red bell pepper
7-8 cups sweetener: I used a blend of half xylitol, half erythritol, and about 10 drops of EZsweetz to replace the sugar.
2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 packets of no-sugar-needed pectin
6-7 drops of red food coloring, optional
Slit the peppers in half and remove the seeds and ribs. Chop the peppers in the food processor about 1 cup at a time, until very finely pulverized. Boil the peppers and vinegar together for 2-3 minutes to soften the peppers. Sprinkle in the pectin while stirring vigorously. Bring to a full rolling boil that can't be stirred down, and boil for one minute. Taste and adjust sweeteners. Ladle into clean, sterile jars, wipe the rims, and put on the clean lids and screw the bands on lightly. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Let cool, making sure all lids seal, and store in a cool, dry place.

rosethorns 11-11-2013 06:52 AM

Here is Diana recipe

I had so many peppers last summer: habaneros, jalapenos, and cayennes--that I made loads of pepper jellies. Here's the recipe that I came up with, including adjustments for the diffferent kinds of peppers:

Diana’s Hot Pepper Jelly
I finally got the time to make hot pepper jelly with my huge crop of cayennes, jalapenos, and habaneros. Oh man, is it good!!! I experimented with the ratio of peppers, vinegar, and sweetener, and I like this more than any I have had, commercial or homemade.

Ingredients:
• 5 cups finely ground cayennes or hot peppers of your choice
• 1 large red bell pepper (I used a yellow bell for habanero jelly, and a green one for jalapeno jelly)
• 7-8 cups sweetener: I used a blend of half xylitol, half erythritol, and about 10 drops of EZsweetz to replace the sugar.
• 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
• 2 packets of no-sugar-needed pectin
• 6-7 drops of red (or yellow or green) food coloring (optional, it gives it a deeper glowing color)

Directions
1. Slit the peppers in half and remove the seeds and ribs*.
2. Chop the peppers in the food processor about 1 cup at a time, until very finely pulverized.
3. Boil the peppers and vinegar and sweeteners together for 2-3 minutes to soften the peppers and dissolve the sweeteners.
4. Sprinkle in the pectin while stirring vigorously.
5. Bring to a full rolling boil that can't be stirred down, and boil for one minute.
6. Taste and adjust sweeteners
7. Ladle into clean, sterile jars, wipe the rims, and put on the clean lids and screw the bands on lightly.
8. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
9. Let cool, making sure all lids seal, and store in a cool, dry place.

This made a soft jelly at first, but it firmed up nicely on sitting. It will crystalize after being opened and refrigerated, but it will go back to normal if microwaved for a minute until liquidy, then allowed to cool.

I don't like the cloudy look of jellies canned with Splenda, but with the E and X as sweeteners, it came out clear and beautiful. I also think E and X, boosted with the concentrated sucralose from EZsweetz, has a much better flavor than Splenda alone.

*Discard, or simmer the ribs and seeds in a cup of vinegar and strain, for the hottest pepper vinegar you have ever tasted (wonderful on barbecue, in hot and sour soup, etc. Just be careful, it’ll pop your eyes right out of your Head!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Here is Pami
Low-er Carb Apricot Habanero Jam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Servings: 160
Yield: 5 cups

1/2 pound Habanero chiles
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
1 cup cider vinegar
29 ounces apricot halves in juice
1/4 cup juice from apricots
1 drop red food coloring (original recipe called for more; I think it's too red)
6 drops yellow food coloring
2 cups Kevinpa's sweetener blend
1 teaspoon liquid Splenda
1 3/4 ounces SureJell premium fruit pectin for less or no sugar needed recipes

Cut off stem ends of peppers and blend together with chopped onions, vinegar, apricots, apricot juice, and food coloring. Pour the pepper mixture into a large non-aluminum pan and bring to a simmer.

Stir in the sweetener and the pectin, and bring to a hard boil. Boil exactly one minute; remove from heat

Let mixture stand long enough to be able to stir down the boil, then pour into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/8" headspace. Wipe down rim of jar and place lids. Screw rings on and leave to cool. Once cooled, store in refrigerator.

You may want to shake containers occasionally to keep bits of peppers from settling to the bottom.

ALTERNATIVELY: Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Pour into plastic containers, seal and let stand at room temperature for as long as 24 hours. Freeze and enjoy all winter long.

Per Serving (one teaspoon): 6 Calories; trace Fat (0.2% calories from fat); trace Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; trace Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Notes:
There are about 52 habaneros per pound- I just counted out 26 as I was picking them. This is close enough.
Each serving (teaspoonful) contains 3g Sugar Alcohols.

I don't know if they are refidgerator jelly , jam but it might work.

rosethorns 11-11-2013 06:53 AM

Sorry Soobee I didn't see that you put it up . Sorry.

Soobee 11-11-2013 04:56 PM

It's so good. It's worth being posted twice!

JJJ'sMom 01-25-2014 06:57 PM

Great looking recipes ladies, let me add one that doesn't use pectin, makes only 1 pint and keeps in the frig forever.

Red Pepper Jam
1 lb. sweet red peppers...or...the colored mix of sm. peppers works fine...
using all red peppers will yield a great red jam, the mix of orange, yellow and red sm. peppers will yield a lite orange jam, both are pretty to look at.
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup red vinegar or 1/4 c. rice vinegar, 1/4 c. white vinegar
1 1/3 cups xylitol
1 T. valentine hot sauce
Include hot peppers if you want or up the hot sauce, I use all xylitol because I know that it sets up when cooked. Xylitol also makes a great sweet pickle....icicle pickles or 14 day pickles.

Seed the peppers and grind in a food processor. Put in a bowl with salt and let sit for 1 hr. or overnight is fine. Put in a pot with other ingredients and cook until thick over low heat. Can take 2 hrs or more. Put in jars and seal in a water bath if making more than 1 batch. If only 1 jar, put in frig. Makes 1 pint.

You could use all green bell peppers for this or any other pepper.

JJJ'sMom 01-25-2014 07:02 PM

Forgot to add about the above recipe, you want to cook it until thick, remembering that it will set up as it cools. This is based on the jam recipes of just using the pectin in the fruit , the sugar and cooking to thicken.

FYI......and if you ever make any sweet pickles, don't throw out that """expensive""" pickle juice. Poach some salmon in it, remove cooked salmon, boil down until thick, serve as a glaze, add in some soy if you want, very yummy. The juice will keep in the frig indefinitely.