Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: idahospud
Stats: 195/pregnant155/?/130
WOE: on hold for pregnancy
Start Date: October 2003
How do you grind flax seed?

Howdy--first-time poster in this forum.

I want to try some of the recipes that call for flax meal or ground flax seed. I have flax seed in bulk, and wonder what the best way to grind it is. I don't have a coffee grinder, nor a food processor. I have a pretty good blender, but I've put flax seeds in shakes in a blender before and all it does is whirl them around.

Maybe I should just buy flax meal!

TIA!
idahospud is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2004, 03:31 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
I would get a small coffee grinder or mini blender. I actually found one for $5 at Home Depot not too long ago. They work great. It's a good thing to store your seeds in the refrigerator too. I like to buy the organic flax seeds in bulk. They are relatively inexpensive and then you can grind them fresh.

Laurie
underHiswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:27 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: woodswoman
Stats: 157/120/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/21/03
spud - I use a coffee grinder. I buy flaxseed in bulk, keep it in the freezer and grind it as I need it. Its cancer fighting properties are the main reason I eat it and from what I've heard, they're reduced after it sets around already ground for a while. It also goes rancid pretty quickly after it's ground, without refrigeration, and the store here keeps it on the shelf with the flour! They're so clueless about low carb. Anyway, I bought an el-cheapo coffee grinder at a drugstore for $10 and it's small, quick and easy to clean. Grinds about 1/2 cup at a time. I use it to make oat flour and almond flour too (from blanched, slivered almonds, which I also buy in bulk). It gets more use than any of my expensive appliances and has probably paid for itself many times over by now.

Last edited by woodswoman; 08-27-2004 at 01:34 AM..
woodswoman is offline   Reply With Quote