Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2004, 12:26 PM   #1

Gallery: GAllison
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: January 2000
Totally Awesome Spice Cake Cupcakes

I needed a cupcake recipe for a pot luck back yard BBQ I was invited to, I was bringing a dessert and I didn't want to mess with trying to serve a whole cake or pie.

I PM'ed BettyR and asked her if she had a good cupcake recipe and she sent me this recipe. They were so good, none of the other guests knew they were low carb and they disappeared so quickly I wish I'd made two batches.

A couple of people asked me for the recipe and when I told them they were low carb they just about called me a lier.

Thank you Betty
Hope you don't mind me posting this recipe. It was so good.

BETTY'S SPICE CAKE CUPCAKES

1 1/2 cup almond flour-12
3/4 cup vital wheat gluten-12
8 ounces cream cheese-8
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder-2
1 tsp. baking soda-0
1/2 tsp. salt-0
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg-.5
2 tsp. Cinnamon-2
1 T. Vanilla-1
2 eggs-2
1/4 cup oil-0
1 tsp. Vinegar-0
1 cup sugar substitute(I used ┬╝ cup Erythritol +1tsp. Trishz's liquid Splenda)-0
1/2 cup cream-4
1/4 cup water-0

Put everything into a food processor and process until smooth. Open processor and scrape down the sides with a spatula and process for another two minutes.

NOTE:
You want to develop the gluten, so if you don't have a food processor and are going to use a mixer I would beat it on high speed for at least 5 minutes. (The only way I've ever made these was in a food processor but I don't see why a mixer wouldn't work.)

Fill muffin tins 2/3 full (I use paper cupcake liners) and bake at 350┬░ for 17 to 20 minutes. Cupcakes are done when they spring back when lightly touched with your finger.

Makes 16 cup cakes- 3g carbs each

Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting.
GAllison is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
These sound VERY good! Thank you!

Laurie
underHiswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Yummy. Can you share your frosting recipe. TIA Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
GAllison-
Of course I don't mind that you posted the recipe, I'm just glad that you and the others enjoyed it. My little niece tells me that these cupcakes taste like Christmas.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE-
I don't really have a recipe, I just take an 8 ounce brick of cream cheese and about 1 teaspoon of vanilla, beat it on med. speed and as I beat it I drizzle some heavy cream into it a little at a time until I get a good spreading consistency. Then sweeten it to suit your taste and that's it.

Last edited by BettyR; 08-25-2004 at 04:07 PM..
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
Betty - For the frosting, I might just mix some sf vanilla DaVinci right into the cream cheese...can't wait to try these...THANKS!

Laurie
underHiswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:44 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

underHiswing-
That's a good idea. That would save a few extra carbs from the cream.

I don't know if you drink coffee or not but these cupcakes are outstanding with coffee.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kem717
Stats: 211/207.8/140
Start Date: 5/1/06
I haven't ventured too much into LC cooking. Where would I get vital wheat gluten or almond flour? thanks much!

Last edited by kem717; 08-26-2004 at 09:46 AM..
kem717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:44 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

You can make the almond flour yourself, if you can find some raw almonds at a reasonable price. Stick the almonds in the freezer, you'll get a finer grind that way, then grind them up in a coffee grinder or food processor.

Or if you have a Trader Joe's they have it.

Or call around to your local heath food stores, they may carry it.

Or you can order on line at almondsonline(dot)com, or nutty guys(dot)com, or nust4u(dot)com.

The vital wheat gluten I buy at Kroger, or most health food stores will have it.

Last edited by BettyR; 08-26-2004 at 09:47 AM..
Old 08-27-2004, 02:50 PM   #9

Bumping for a friend.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:27 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LCRedhead
Stats: Total Lost 9.5
WOE: SS
Start Date: Aug. 22, 2008
BettR,
I think you should have a web site with your recipes

kem717 you can order the almond flour and lots of other GREAT items here at the market place at the top of the page. Shipping is cheap. They carry all the SF Davinich's, great LC spaghetti sauce and so much more. The NEW Bisquick too. I just ordered some. Can't wait to try it.

PLUS it supports this site!
LCRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

LCRedhead-
You're so sweet, but I'm one of the most computer illiterate people that has ever been.

I know how to turn the thing on and I can write and save recipes in a file or a folder, I'm sure what to call it, but that's about it.

I'd have about as much chance of building a website as "Dude Where's My Car" would have of winning an Oscar.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:02 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenita
LOL at Betty! I am right there with you about being computer illiterate! Sure do enjoy using it, though, especially when I can find recipes this good. I made your cupcakes yesterday and they are fabulous!!!! In fact, I just ate one with my bacon and eggs--who needs toast? Thanks for a great recipe! Can't wait to try the chocolate version!
Jenita
Jenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 06:04 AM   #13
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LCRedhead
Stats: Total Lost 9.5
WOE: SS
Start Date: Aug. 22, 2008
Is the wheat gluten necessary? Any subs for it?
LCRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:18 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Jenita-
I'm so glad you liked them. I think the spice cake is my favorite. The chocolate are good, but the spice cake is the best.

LCRedhead-
The wheat gluten is what gives it it's great texture and taste.

I've never made it trying to sub something else. You could do some experimenting and see what happens using one of the gums. But you would have to up the amount of almond flour or replace it with some whey or soy protein.

Last edited by BettyR; 08-29-2004 at 07:26 AM..
Old 08-29-2004, 05:03 PM   #15

Betty,
I agree, the chocolate are good but the spice cake is the best!!!!!
Old 09-02-2004, 10:52 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
Can WPI be used as a sub for the VWG? Kind of new to this LC baking thang. These sound so yummy. Thanks for sharing
chickiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:08 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I've never used WPI before, but I've read that it's just a more highly refined VWG and works about the same way just with less carbs. So my guess is that it would work just fine.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
Thanks for the reply on the WPI vs VWG. These are on my must make list. Thanks again for all the yummy recipes. I have a version of the strawberry cobbler baking as I type.
chickiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 05:11 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
I made these for the first time yesterday. I wasn't that impressed with them right out of the oven with no frosting, but today I put peanut butter frosting on them and OMG! Majorly yummy! Great texture too! I had to give some away so I wouldn't eat too many. I look forward to trying the chocolate version next. Thanks BettyR.
Cap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 07:09 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Yea, I've found that with most low carb baking, it's better the next day.

Glad you liked it.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:27 AM   #21
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: VAmomof2
Stats: 150/130/128-130
WOE: general lc and exercise
Start Date: Jan 2004
I made these last night. I did enjoy them almost right out of the oven - haven't tried one yet this morning.

Mine fell quite a bit as they were cooling - I am thinking I might not have cooked them long enough. Did this happen to anyone else? They looked nice and puffy in the oven and then caved in on the counter.

If any of you are in maintenace, I added just 1/4 of a diced apple to half of my batter and those are great. I am LCing but recently added back in just about any fruit. I used to make this apple torte and these come close in flavor.

Thanks for the recipe!
VAmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:50 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by VAmomof2

Mine fell quite a bit as they were cooling - I am thinking I might not have cooked them long enough. Did this happen to anyone else? They looked nice and puffy in the oven and then caved in on the counter
The same thing happened to me, and I decided I should cook them a bit longer next time. Oh well, once I put the peanut butter frosting on them, you couldn't tell they had caved in, and the frosting was nice and thick in the middle!
Old 09-06-2004, 07:56 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Mine have never fallen. I always tested the cake with my finger to make sure they were firm before removing them from the oven.

Also not beating them long enough might make them fall.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:29 PM   #24
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: VAmomof2
Stats: 150/130/128-130
WOE: general lc and exercise
Start Date: Jan 2004
I did the full 2 minutes in the food processor. I love how the processor really breaks the almonds into such little pieces that you can't really tell that they are there. I like the 3-min choc cake as a treat but the texture does throw me a bit.

Next time I will mix a bit longer and cook a bit longer too.
VAmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:14 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

The two full minutes in the processor should be enough, I'm thinking that maybe it didn't cook quiet long enough. If you ever make them again, touch them with your finger before taking them out of the oven to make sure that their firm.
Betty
Old 09-10-2004, 11:33 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spencer19
Stats: 205/131.5/127 (5' tall)
WOE: lowfat/cal in 2003, now Atkins
Start Date: Atkins 1-26-2004 (at 176.5 lbs)
I made these for a potluck last night. Thought I'd share my results.

I didn't have any cream, so I used about 1/6 cup powdered milk (filled a 1/3 cup halfway), carb count est. 5.2 for the powdered milk. I did not reconstitute the powdered milk, since I wanted to use Davinci for the sweetener.

Instead of the 1 cup sugar substitute, I used 3/4 cup Davinci - half of it cinnamon, half of it simple syrup. I also omitted the 1/4 cup water, to offset the 'wetness' of the Davinci.

I substituted 1/2 tsp. ginger for the nutmeg, because of someone's food allergy.

I used a hand mixer, since I don't have a large food processor. I beat it for 5 minutes total, and it seemed to work fine. I got 16 nice-size cupcakes - which is great, since I don't always have luck getting the number of servings a recipe says it makes!

The cupcakes fell just a bit as they cooled, but I kept them in the oven with the door open for the first ten minutes as they cooled - I think that helped them fall less.

People seemed to like them - the texture was good, but some felt they could have used more spice. I liked the texture and taste, too, but wouldn't mind a bit more spice taste either. Next time I'll increase the spices, maybe 3 tsp. cinnamon, and 1 tsp. nutmeg or ginger (or both!). I've also contemplated leaving out the spices, and using banana Davinci, and adding walnuts (optional) for 'banana bread' type cupcakes.

Personally, I didn't care for the cream cheese frosting, so I'll check into different frostings next time - differently flavored cream cheese (I used cinnamon Davinci), or a peanut butter like cap57, or maybe even sweetened whipped cream.

These were easy to make, and really good!! I got a total carb count of 2.8 without frosting (I weighed most of my ingredients to be sure).
Old 09-10-2004, 05:23 PM   #27

VAmomof2,

I just wanted to let you know that the problem you had with the cupcakes falling was from not cooking them long enough.

My daughter made some this afternoon when she got home from school and instead of testing them to see if they were done she just took them out of the oven when the timer went off. They fell big time.

This is the first time I'd had that happen.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:38 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stewcarol
So has anyone substituted the vital wheat gluten? Have they turned out okay?
stewcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:30 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

They are so good, I wouldn't want to mess with replacing the Vital Wheat Gluten with anything else. Are you having trouble finding it? At my regular grocery store, it is with the flour in a small box, Hodgson Mill brand for $1.75. I know Bob's Red Mill makes it too. Definitely try this recipe, as well as the chocolate version. They are both the best LC desserts I have tried.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:21 AM   #30

I agree with Cap57, these are the best LC desserts I've had so far. "Don't fix it if it ain't broke."

By the way, the Super Walmart near my house carries the Hodgson Mill brand of VWG and it's $.99 for a 6.5 ounce box. Most large grocery stores should carry it and health food stores carry it as well.

If your wanting to sub the VWG because your allergic, you could try one of the soy baking mixes and see what happens, but I don't think it will be as good. These have the taste and texture of real cake and I think the VWG is what does it.