Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2004, 04:35 PM   #1
24kdietdeva

Gallery: 24kdietdeva
Looking for Dairy free recipes -

Just been on meat and eggs for 2 weeks now - I'm sure ready to get into some other cooking. I have a severe allergy to milk and all milk products....ie. cheese, yogurt, ice cream, cream. anything made with milk. I even skip the butter dish and use a canola oil style margarine. I cook with Creamora when a recipe calls for cream - but its LOADED with carbs
I would truly appreciate any help I can get with this matter since I'm just starting out in this lifestyle.

hugs- DietDeva.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannie
WOE: LC/allergies
Start Date: restarted Oct 4, 03
I to have a problem eating/using dairy so I am constantly tweaking and looking for recipes I can use. There are a lot out there but it really takes some thought...

What I did when I started was to go to the Atkins site and go through all the recipes one at a time. I looked for ones without dairy or with some dairy that I could substitute, such as ones that used butter and I could sub another fat, or ones using a small amount of cream (in a desert recipe or such) that I could sub with unsweetened coconut/almond/soy milk. I think that would be your best bet unless you have a specific recipe you are wanting to find without dairy. You could even do that with the recipes in the room here. There are tons of sites to find recipes and try to tweak. Of course not all recipes are able to be tweaked so it's trial and error alot.

Hope this helps

Deannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:15 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Here is a list of some of the recipes I've found and tweaked, or not, depending, for no dairy.

Atkins Spinach with Pine Nuts and Garlic (no tweaks needed)
Atkins Ratatouille (none needed)
Atkins Pea and Bean Salad (none needed)
Dotties Ground Beef and Veggie Soup (none needed)
Atkins Pumpkin Turkey Stew (none needed)
Atkins Lamb and Vegetable Stew (none needed)
3 Minute Chocolate/vanilla/coconut [really any flavor] Cake (use a subs for butter) recipe from this site
Almond Vanilla Pancakes (can sub oil/margarine for butter)
Puddings can be made subs coconut/almond/soy milk

Any specific ones you are looking for? Maybe I can help...
Old 08-19-2004, 10:26 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: janerwearsred
Stats: 175/141/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2003
dietdiva

I PMed you.
janerwearsred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
24kdietdeva

You guys are the best! thanks for info.

Any subs for sour cream or cream cheese? I have a soy based product I use, (Toufutti brand) that has 1 carb per 2 Tbs. I know its high, but its all I have at this time for cheese substitutes. I buy it at a health food store, and havent used any since starting this lifestyle, but would be glad to find something new to use.

24kDietDeva.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:03 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kcduffer
Stats: 168/152/135
Start Date: Sept. 2002
What about making a 'yocheese' from a soy yogurt. You make the yocheese by suspending the yogurt in say a coffee filter and letting it drain. You're left with a more solid chunk of yogurt.
kcduffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:19 PM   #7
24kdietdeva

I love the possibilities....Sounds interesting.....where can I purchase SoyYogurt? and what kind of carbs are we talking about?

Do you have the complete instructions for making Yocheese? I have heard of doing this before, but don't have the specific instructions.

Thanks for info-
24k.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:39 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kcduffer
Stats: 168/152/135
Start Date: Sept. 2002
You can find the soy yogurt in either a health food store or that section of a regular store. I don't know how the carbs compare to regular yogurt, but the carbs in regular yogurt are a subject for debate.

You can make yocheese by taking a colander, line it with a coffee filter, put it over a dish in the refrigerator, and let the liquid drain out of the yogurt. I have not tried this with soy yogurt, but I am guessing that it would work in a similar manner as a milk yogurt. I would also guess that if you like this, you could make your own soy yogurt. There have been many threads on this board that talk about making yogurt. I use hood milk to make it, so I would guess you could use soy milk to make it yourself. Perhaps someone who has done this could chime in with their results and help you out more than I have.
kcduffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:15 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the "tofutti" sour cream you have used. It has the same carbs as regular sour cream. I'm wondering if it could be used in the place of cream cheese or drained like the yogurts. I'll be looking for it when I go shopping and give it a try when I find it. Thanks for that info on it. I hadn't heard of it before.

I know the Soy Slender milk is sweetened with splenda but I don't think they have advanced to soy yogurt sweetened with splenda yet. Just be sure to read the labels.

If you are able to make soy "yocheese" would you please post your results? I'd be very interested. TIA
Old 08-20-2004, 02:36 PM   #10
24kdietdeva

Details on Toufutti brand products:

Sour Supreme, Better than Sour Cream. Non-Dairy imitation sour cream. (Love the product for dips and even works for chese cake, but have to mix carefully as it gets very liquidy quickly. Still bakes up great, but very expensive for a cheesecake)

Better than Cream Cheese, Imitation cream cheese. Comes in plain and different flavors - onion? chive? 1 carb per oz, no cholesstrol. Same for the baking and mixing - gets very liquid but bakes up just fine.

I have used a rice/veggi product for Parmesan cheese - 1/2 carb per 2 tablespoons. (Great for Pasta House Salad).

I use Canola Harvest Margarine...it does have Whey powder in it, but I don't use too much at a time. Flieshman's Margarine (K parve) is dairy free, but more expensive.

Will post my results of the yocheese when I'm able to find the product. Unfortunately, the soy products dont always react chemically the way dairy products do.

Well, I'm off to the health food store to see what I can find!

thanks for all information. I was born with this allergy so I've been looking all my life for substitutes. I finally found a Vegan web site with lots of recipes....and lots of CARBS!!

Old 08-24-2004, 12:30 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
milk substitute

Anytime milk or cream is called for in a recipe, I use canned coconut milk. It won't whip like regular cream, but is good for almost any other recipe.
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:13 PM   #12
24kdietdeva

does the coconut milk have an overwhelming coconut flavor? I've never used it.

Havn't found the soy-yogurt yet. Have other healthfood stores to try next weekend.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:51 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
coconut milk

I have used coconut milk for several years now. To me, there is less of a "goofy" taste in recipes than when using soy milk. Try it once in a recipe and see how you like it. It beats giving up a lot of recipes that use milk which you can't drink. You may prefer soy milk, but one of the two should work and give you more eating choices.
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote