Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2004, 06:47 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: tyler43836
Stats: ugh
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 3/31/08
Buttermilk Replacement?

I remember reading someone mentioning an alternative to using buttermilk in recipes....I can't seem to find it now? Help??
Tyler
tyler43836 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: kidj4
Stats: 243.4/145.4/134.4 ~~ 5'6" ~~ 33 yrs old
Start Date: January 1, 2005
about 1 tablespoon vinegar OR lemon juice to 1 cup milk

i do belive to "low carb" it they said to use 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup water instead of the milk.
kidj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:01 AM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bernie
I've also used watered down sour cream or yogurt to replace buttermilk in recipes.

Bernie
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:09 AM   #4

Does it alter the taste much? It's not that I have an aversion to buttermilk. I live in NYC and it's not carried in the local small grocery stores in my neighborhood...I have to make a special trip to one of the larger ones.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:37 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bernie
HI,

I'm not sure if it alters the taste as I never use buttermilk as it is not so easily obtained here either. But I do like how my baking tastes and I don't think the buttermilk is there to add flavour more for moisture.

Bernie
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RLDCatwoman
Start Date: September 2003
Can you get the powdered buttermilk? I use the SACO brand. Keep the container in the fridge, then make up as needed.

Rachael
RLDCatwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:29 AM   #7

I've never seen powdered buttermilk! That would be an easy solution. Where would you find that? With the powdered milk?
Old 08-13-2004, 08:59 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RLDCatwoman
Start Date: September 2003
I found mine in the baking section of the grocery store. They also have the powdered egg whites. Or with the powdered milk.

Rachael
RLDCatwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:16 AM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 5cats4me
Stats: 185/134/130
WOE: Atkins without counting
Start Date: Jan 04
In Dana Carpender's cookbook 500 Low Carb Recipes it says that the authors of GO-Diet (two doctors) did research and found that most of the lactose in plain yogurt and buttermilk is converted into lactic acid by the bacteria. That gives it it's sour taste. The 12 grams per cup of carbs on the label should actually be counted as 4 grams per cup for this reason. Dana says that she now counts plain yogurt and buttermilk this way and hasn't had any weight gain or craving triggers from it.
Also, buttermilk has 8 grams of protein per cup too! Just a little FYI!
5cats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 11:59 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bruce
Start Date: 1 June 1999
I'm a big powdered buttermilk fan. Before I found it, I was always throwing away buttermilk after using a bit of a carton for a recipe. And how do you tell if buttermilk is bad in the first place?

I'm amazed that a big city like New York doesnt' have major supermarket chains. I smell the government at work in this.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:46 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenita
I have used powdered buttermilk, too, but prefer to buy a quart of buttermilk, then freeze it in an ice cube tray (2 T. to a cube). I put those in a Ziploc bag, then take out however much I need for a recipe. The easiest is to just put a T. of lemon juice or vinegar in the bottom of a cup and fill it with cream or cream/water and let it set a few minutes. I can't tell any difference in taste or texture.
Jenita
Jenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:41 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally posted by 5cats4me
In Dana Carpender's cookbook 500 Low Carb Recipes it says that the authors of GO-Diet (two doctors) did research and found that most of the lactose in plain yogurt and buttermilk is converted into lactic acid by the bacteria. That gives it it's sour taste. The 12 grams per cup of carbs on the label should actually be counted as 4 grams per cup for this reason. Dana says that she now counts plain yogurt and buttermilk this way and hasn't had any weight gain or craving triggers from it.
Also, buttermilk has 8 grams of protein per cup too! Just a little FYI!
please be a little careful in believing that
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:24 AM   #13
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Why argo? Did you find this untrue? I'm curious!
Old 08-14-2004, 10:33 PM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally posted by 5cats4me
Why argo? Did you find this untrue? I'm curious!

this has been discussed over and over on this site. that is the only source that has ever said that theory and it has next to no support in the scientific community. several of the people on this board wrote to yogurt companies as well and they also said that it was not true and that any carbs that are on the label are already what is left after the bacteria eat the rest
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 06:05 AM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Interesting! I'll be monitoring the impact of the buttermilk and yogurt to see if it affects me. So far it hasn't, but I will be aware of it. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2004, 09:43 AM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Live culture produced lactic Acid that you find in sour cream, buttermilk and yogurt is definitely not the same thing flavor wise as vinegar (acetic acid) or lemon juice (citric acid).

The same bacteria that is used to culture buttermilk is used in sour Cream. If you subscribe 100% to the 'yogurt exception' theory then by all means, use buttermilk. If you have the slightest doubt, then sour cream and water make the best substitution.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 11:01 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ForestGirl
The carbs in Buttermilk, Yogurt and Kefir

I'm not a prolific poster, preferring instead to read, but from time to time I get the urge to reply.

It is just not likely that you will ever get a company "bucking the FDA line" on anything, as that would very quickly put them out of business. The FDA has proved to be a pretty good organization, but not perfect! They insist that any foods containing Stevia should be "seized", and that all of the "carbs" in Maltitol be counted. As well they insist that when 2 tablespoons of sugar is added to the dough of bread, that its carbs be counted too and so too the logic concerning Buttermilk, Yougurt and Kefir goes.

Well anyone, with even any high-school chemistry, knows that the live yeast in the bread dough will consume most (if not all of) the sugar, producing carbon dioxide as a result and making the bread rise, so why count it? Ditto for the other cases.

What is very important is that us low-carbers, who by definition "think out of the box", remain there. Let's leave the "conventional thinking" to the low-fat community.

Yogurt, buttermilk and Kefir introduce huge amounts of beneficial live bacteria into our systems, which not only beat back the yeast present in us, thus stopping it from causing weight gain by causing a runnaway appetite (not to mention other "itchy" problems) but it also also "scoops up" many of the carbs that do make it past our gums and into our intestines, and consumes part of even those carbs too, leaving even fewer carbs to worry about, making them a low-carbers dream come true. They are natural "carb-blockers".

So, here are natural substances that have been consumed since before our good Lord walked this earth and which only enhance our health and even aid our weight loss - that eat carbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Use them freely, they work wonders!

PS. Let's not forget that most of these so-called "authorities and scientists" are also the very ones preaching the flawed message that the Low-Carb diets and WOL are most unhealthy and will kill us, that low-fat is the only way to go. Do you believe them on that subject?
ForestGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 12:11 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Bruce, I have asked that same question myself. It seems like a question to "ask Jeeves". But, because I don't know the answer, I, too, use the powdered.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote