Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Low Carb Camping? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/262794-low-carb-camping.html)

Faithtobethin 08-10-2004 09:49 AM

Low Carb Camping?

We are going camping next week. It seems like when you camp, all you do is sit around and snack!! What am I going to bring thats easy? Live off Jerky all weekend? LOL. I figure breakfast is okay, I will just eat sausage, Im probably okay with hot dogs and hamburgers. I bought some low carb granola bars to take. Im just afraid I will get the munchies and eat something I shouldnt! Anyone else camp? What have you taken? Mind you I will have a ton of No Nos seems how I have kids!

T-Bones 08-10-2004 10:37 AM

There's lots of options....BF...bacon, eggs, sausage...L...burgers, hot dogs,kabobs (made ahead & marinated).Din din, same as Lunch....make ahead boiled eggs, salad fixin's....veggies can be marinated ahead and placed in foil to cook over fire...mushrooms,squash,zuchhinni, broccollo, cauliflower etc....I used to camp alot and you do not need to do w/o...cheese strings, cut up veggies w/dipping sauce...lots to snack on as well....Good Luck & have fun.:D

Mikala 08-10-2004 10:47 AM

Hey one of the best things about camping in MHO is smores, dang it! And if everyone is sitting around eating them, how can one resist? I say take along some low carb substitutions for smores...Im thinking Hershey's sugar free choc, sugar free peanut butter...I havent checked, do they have low carb graham crackers? If not take along some low carb bagels and put the good stuff on pieces of toasted bagel. Marshmallows....hmmm, gotta be some sub for that. At any rate, I say take along some low carb goodie snacks that you can splurge on when others are eating the good stuff. Like the boy scouts..."Be prepared"

Maheve 08-10-2004 10:59 AM

That's a wonderful question I was going ot ask b/c I'm going on a 6 day camping/canoeing trip in the begining of Sept. and I wonder what we will eat. We are going to be canoeing all over the place, so there will be no 'cooler' or trailer, only what is on our backs. Right now It's lookin' like all types of jerky is going to be the thing. Well I should lose a ton of weight :aprayer: !!!

DEBI IN OHIO 08-10-2004 11:05 AM

this question has been asked A LOT this AM, do a search, there are MANY great ideas in the other threads!!!!

caboose66 08-10-2004 11:27 AM

One of my favorite Atkins bars is the S'more flavor. I don't keep them around the house on a regular basis because I am trying to train myself to stay away from the junk. But, I plan on taking some with me when I go camping next week for the sole purpose of having when the rest of my friends and kids are having real s'mores. What I'm trying to figure out is how to make my beloved whipped cream while I'm camping. Maybe I'll just make a big batch and keep it deep in the ice-box. Gotta' have that whipped cream!!:D

Motts Landing 08-10-2004 11:36 AM

how about Jalapeno poppers cooked in advance or hot wings.
Deviled eggs. Linda Sue's Coconutty Crunch (sort of like trail mix).
Pepperoni chips. Have a great time camping!

regandy 08-10-2004 11:59 AM

There is so many opinions about Low Carb products aka frankenfoods aka baaad for you.

BUT...

I think such foods should be intended for these occasions... NOT part of your daily intake but just for these moments. :)

that1redhead 08-10-2004 12:01 PM

nuts and sunflower seeds

caboose66 08-10-2004 12:03 PM

Becky,
I sooooo agree about the frankenfoods! That's why I kicked those bars out of the house. I'm reserving a select few (like the S'mores bars) for special occasions. Oh yeah.......and I promise to try not to let my definition of "special occasion" to get too loose ;)

JanMarie3 08-10-2004 03:20 PM

[COLOR=darkblue]

I can go camping and canoeing without my sugar free Raspberry jello shots :) It's a tradition:);) [/COLOR]

Maheve 08-10-2004 03:54 PM

unfortunatly I will not have an ice box. I will be fishing everyday, so there dinner, but breakfast & lunch? I am not a fan at all of the bars & frankenfoods, but it seems like besides jerky, some nuts & seeds that's what it's going to be!

Darkfire 08-11-2004 05:10 PM

I camp alot.....and grill and such never ever had a problem. Even without beef jerky or slim jims. Give me ANYTHING and a fire and some grill bags and I can make anything....I made lo carb fajitas in July when we went camping and it was better than anything I have ever bought in a store. I tossed all my stuff in a grill bag on the fire and 15 mins later we had dinner.
In addition I travel for work and have mastered the art of grilling in a hotel room with a camp stove and with a little grill outside the motor lodge. Some of the stuff I bring looks a lot like this.

I like chopped up celery and broccoli.
I bring enough to drink, remembering am I hungry really? Or just thirsty because of all the moving around.

I bring pork rinds and dip.

I always bring some good steaks ALWAYS and always good steaks.

I always bring a wheel a spice. It has sea, salt, cracked pepper, cayenne, garlic, paprika, and onion powder. With these spices alone I can make a killer steak, fajitas, chili, etc etc.

I make chili...the best pot of chili Locarb was at daytona's infield last winston cup daytona 500...was awesome.

I bring kilebosa, or sausage.
I now spend more time talking and enjoying life instead of eating.

I bring onion, green pepper and tomato for stuff.

I bring steakums. It's doable, really. Once you get used to it you can do anything on a fire or camp stove.

I bring a chicken sometimes...fire beer chicken is awesome.
Hot wings on a fire is something you can make like 5 pounds of and have as snacks, don't forget dipping sauces.

I bring extra of everything.
I bring cut up cheese, many kinds.
I learned to make omletes on a camp stove and over a fire because I hate eggs and omletes don't taste like eggs.
I bring bacon and sausage
I bring panic foods which are processed but keep me from the chips and stuff like that.
I bring whipped cream cheese
I bring peanut butter if I am low on panic foods

I have never done this but want to. Wrap your fish with butter and spices in tin foil and grill on fire....yum yum.

Or...you could accidentially forget to pack the smores ingredients, sneaky but it might help.

It's doable....it really is and it's amazingly fun...if you like to cook and create stuff like I do.

Have a wonderful time.

Darkfire 08-17-2004 06:26 PM

bumping for another thread

Tulcat 08-17-2004 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Maheve
unfortunatly I will not have an ice box. I will be fishing everyday, so there dinner, but breakfast & lunch? I am not a fan at all of the bars & frankenfoods, but it seems like besides jerky, some nuts & seeds that's what it's going to be!
LOL, You bring back an old bad memory of a 4 day float without packing food for dinner, because we were going to be fishing every day. It's a long funny story but we ended up catching no fish and starving most of the time, until we started eating what we had been using for bait: crawdads.

Anyway, I too am a hiker and canoer, but have been too busy at work to go this year. But I'm planning an early Fall trip and have been working on a LC trail mix and a replacement for my powdered Gatorade.

While all my "testing" is not complete, send me a PM if you want some more details.

Have a great trip!

Where are you going, if you don't mind sharing?

Chelveston 04-07-2012 07:58 PM

Bumping because camping season is coming.

kristina 07-13-2013 11:31 AM

*bumping* again

rosethorns 07-13-2013 11:52 AM

There a lot of great ideas here. I just took this camping MMorris has a butterfinger
recipe that I used. Freeze them just take them in a tupperware container and keep in the cooler. You will think you are cheating and your not. YAY

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ookie-pic.html

I've also made this with almond butter and carmel sauce as the filling, added coconut shredded and topped with chocolate. These cookies are awesome.

dianafoot 07-14-2013 11:58 AM

I make a lot of dried cranberries (using monin o' free blackberry syrup + a little SweetzFree to heat them up in before spreading them in a pan to dry in a slow oven.) These are amazingly good in trail mix made with a variety of nuts and sunflower seeds and sugar free chocolate chips.

We usually carry a cooler, so I make up a nice batch of tuna salad and use it to stuff celery, tomatoes on low-carb tortillas or pitas, etc. Take along extra tuna and celery and mayo to make more if need be.

lots of celery, red peppers, cherry tomatoes, Romaine lettuce, etc. Great for dipping and stuffing.

peanut butter stuffed into celery stalks and dotted with sugar-free cranberries--that's my favorite snack at home and camping both.

several lemons. Can't beat lemon water for something really refreshing and oddly enough, filling.

I love to camp and travel, and since we have the luxury of an ice chest, I never miss home food. Just be sure if you're going to cook to take along a set of basic spices and condiments. I use one of those six-pocket wine bags and that accommodates just about all of the dry food I need to take, from sweetener to spices and condiments to coffee & filters, nuts, etc., etc.

If you're canoeing and can't take an ice chest, the wine bag in a plastic bag would work well for lots of dried stuff. I'd probably take some lemons and would use an insulated lunch bag for a few fresh veggies for the first day or two.