Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: verde
Have you made FRIED CHICKEN with the pork rinds...

O.k. please dont stone me. I know I had asked this another way last time but wanted to rephrase it.

What is your recipe WITH the Pork Rinds?

Also can a non-Lcing person tell it is pork rinds?
verde is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2004, 02:17 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Potaty
Stats: 227high/227now/150goal
WOE: LC + Exercise
Start Date: July 2013 (this time, LOL)
I have only done this once, but I dipped the raw chicken in a slightly beaten egg, then dipped in pulverized hot-n-spicy pork rinds, then cooked in oil like regular fried chicken. Now, I am someone who can't stomach the thought of eating pork rinds alone as a snack, but the chicken was really pretty good! DH liked it too. I haven't made it since, I was just trying to use up stuff in the cabinets! Good luck!
Potaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: verde
Thanks for responding. I only have the plain ones in the cabinet I wonder how people make them with the plain ones?
verde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncacc1
Stats: 210/152.2/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2003
I do this all the time! I use the recipe that the girl before me does. Everyone likes it low carb or not.
ncacc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Potaty
Stats: 227high/227now/150goal
WOE: LC + Exercise
Start Date: July 2013 (this time, LOL)
You would make them the same way, it will just have a more bland flavor, but it should still taste good. Of course you could add some spices or some hot sauce (Tobasco or Frank's) for a little kick.
Potaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarajane
Stats: 155/155/115, 5'4", 27
Start Date: 1/26/05
I used regular pork rinds on some perch this weekend. i added a little seasoning salt to the porkrinds for some flavor. they turned out great and dh loved it.
im sure just some basic poultry seasoning herbs would be great on chicken. i forget the brand but it's usually no salt added too... is it mrs dash?
sarajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 03:30 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jax93
Stats: 152/129/119
WOE: VLC/ZC
I use ground pork rinds &parmesan cheese mixed after dipping it in egg. I've deep-fried (the best), pan fried (pretty good) and baked (WELL greased pan, ok). season the same as reg. fried chicken.
jax93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 03:58 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seattlegirl
Stats: Previous stint: Sz. 28/20/14, post baby: 22/22/14
WOE: Atkins modified for breastfeeding
Start Date: January 2004
I've tried just about everything to fry chicken. My favorites are either the pork rinds, the keto bread crumbs, or just the plain ol' skin. It's not bad, try that some time.
Seattlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 04:26 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bruce
Start Date: 1 June 1999
1/2 cup salt
2 quarts water
3 pounds chicken, cut up
2 cups pork rinds, ground
3 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons cream
3 cups oil
garlic powder
pepper

1. Mix salt and water. Immerse chicken and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours. Remove chicken from brine and shake off excess; place in a single layer on large wire rack set over rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate uncovered for 2
hours. Season chicken with garlic powder and pepper. If you like it spicy, also use red pepper.

2. Place pork rinds in shallow dish. Whip together egg and cream in medium bowl. Coat chicken in egg mixture, turning to coat well and allowing excess to drip off. Press chicken pieces into pork rinds.

3. Heat 2 inches of oil in large skillet to 375F. Place half of chicken pieces skin-side down in oil, cover with domed lid, reduce heat to medium and fry until deep golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over and
continue to fry, uncovered, until chicken pieces are deep golden brown on second side, 6 to 8 minutes longer.

4. Transfer chicken to paper towel-lined plate; let drain 2 minutes. Cool chicken pieces on wire rack about 5
minutes and serve.

For chicken tenders, coat with grated parmesan cheese instead of pork rinds.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 04:47 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gremlinclr
Stats: 309/228/165?
WOE: Kinda Atkins
I mix equal parts ground pork rinds and shredded parmesan and whatever seasoning Im in the mood for.

And I find a good non stick pan and NO oil works better. The prok rinds tend to soak up oil.
Gremlinclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 04:58 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: amaplay
Stats: Size 16/Size 16/Size 10
Start Date: feels like a lifetime
If you like spicy, throw in some cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to your plain ones. I've done it with just egg and plain ones, though, and it was good, too.

My fave recipe is for the heroin wings, which you can find here...

It's got parmesan, and some other good spices. It's also very easy, and could be used for regular chicken instead of wings. Let us know how it turns out.
amaplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: urban refugee
Stats: 180/172/140
Start Date: August 2012
New Sunday tradition!

I made this last night with Mashed Faux-Taters and it was just like old home week! I added a tablespoon of cayenne pepper to the cream and egg mixture and used just chicken thighs and they were moist and juicy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
1/2 cup salt
2 quarts water
3 pounds chicken, cut up
2 cups pork rinds, ground
3 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons cream
3 cups oil
garlic powder
pepper

1. Mix salt and water. Immerse chicken and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours. Remove chicken from brine and shake off excess; place in a single layer on large wire rack set over rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate uncovered for 2
hours. Season chicken with garlic powder and pepper. If you like it spicy, also use red pepper.

2. Place pork rinds in shallow dish. Whip together egg and cream in medium bowl. Coat chicken in egg mixture, turning to coat well and allowing excess to drip off. Press chicken pieces into pork rinds.

3. Heat 2 inches of oil in large skillet to 375F. Place half of chicken pieces skin-side down in oil, cover with domed lid, reduce heat to medium and fry until deep golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over and
continue to fry, uncovered, until chicken pieces are deep golden brown on second side, 6 to 8 minutes longer.

4. Transfer chicken to paper towel-lined plate; let drain 2 minutes. Cool chicken pieces on wire rack about 5
minutes and serve.

For chicken tenders, coat with grated parmesan cheese instead of pork rinds.
urban refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
This is my best recipe so far: Fried Chicken No, I don't think a non-LC person could tell this is pork rinds provided yo make it exactly as written with no substitutions or changes.

I have another one that is oven-baked with a slightly different ingredient line-up on my blog called Oven-Fried Chicken you might want to also check out. I like that one, but it's not as good as the one above IMHO.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
I make Oven Fried Chicken with Mayonnaise and Pork Rinds.
You can mix Parmesan cheese in with the rinds if you want to but I don't do it anymore.

1.Take the bag of pork rinds and place on kitchen counter. Take a can and roll back and forth until the rinds are well crushed inside the bag and then open bag and pour onto a plate.

2.Mayo- poor about a cup of mayo into a bowel. Put the chicken pieces in the mayo turning until very well coated.

3. Roll the chicken in pork rinds turning over to coat on all sides and place in roasting pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 1hour.
Cover with foil tent the last 15 minutes IF the chicken is golden enough and to prevent burning.

*I always use thighs with skin and bones because they release enough chicken fat so that the chicken actually fries and doesn't just not bake.

* also Season your raw chicken with whatever you like before starting.

Everyone loves this oven Fried Chicken and no one knows that it's low-carb.
With just the chicken, mayo and pork rinds it's 0g carbs.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote