Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2004, 06:07 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: joy2c
Stats: 183 all-time hi@16yrs old/152/140
WOE: lower carb/cal/fat
Start Date: November, 2003
Anyone know carb count for gram flour?

Anyone know carb count for gram flour?--it is made of dried pigeon peas and is used in Indian cooking. A good friend of mine is Indian and we were debating whether gram flour is locarb--pigeon peas aren't true "peas" they are found in pods that grow off trees--I wonder if they are more like nuts in carb composition. I am learning to cook Indian currys, you would be AMAZED at the variety and how naturally low carb they are--just serve with salad instead of rice and naan (bread)

joy
joy2c is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I found this at Epicurious:

besan [BEH-sahn]
Used in East Indian cooking, besan is a pale yellow flour made from ground, dried CHICKPEAS. This nutritious, high-protein flour is used for myriad preparations including doughs, dumplings, noodles, a thickener for sauces and in batter for deep-fried foods. Besan, also known as gram flour, can be found in Indian or Asian markets. Store, wrapped airtight, in the refrigerator for up to 6 months

The USDA site says that one cup of chickpea flour has 53.19 carbs and 9.9 grams fiber. Definitely not low carb.

Also, 100 grams of pigeon peas, raw (about 1/2 cup) have 62.78 carbs and 15 grams fiber.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:25 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: joy2c
Stats: 183 all-time hi@16yrs old/152/140
WOE: lower carb/cal/fat
Start Date: November, 2003
Thanks Linda Sue, guess I will stick with some of our other locarb alternatives. Shouldn't be to hard to figure substitutes.

joy
joy2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Technically, besan (gram flour, bengal gram flour) isn't made from chickpeas, at least not the chickpeas westerners know as garbanzo beans, it's made from a close relative of the chickpea that Indians call channa dal.

According to a handful of studies, channa dal and besan have one of the lowest glycemic values of any food. Although having a low glycemic value and being good for a low carb WOE are definitely not one in the same, I do think besan and channa dal can play a significant role in an earlier stage than legumes, where they would normally be allowed.

That being said, the USDA numbers are correct carbwise.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ashraf
Gram Flour

Scott is right gram flour is not ground chickpeas. It is called CHANNA. It smaller in size than chickpeas and not off white like chickpeas. It is dark brown. In Urdu, Hindi and Punjabi chickpeas and gram, both are called CHANNA. Chickpeas are called "Safaid" channa, which means white gram and gram called "Kaalaa channa" means black gram.Split gram is called "daal channa or channa daal". Daal or dalia is used for any split beans.Split lentil is called "daal masoor or masoor daal". Whole channa is used in various recipes. Channa dall is cooked separately and with combination of other things like meat rice and varieties of vegetables. Roasted channa is a popular snack.Gram flour is the flour made of gram or kaala channa and called "baison" or baisan (beh-son).It is right it has hundreds of uses.
It is popularly considered that gram flour or baison is low in carb. It is suggested to make Asian flat bread with baison mixed with wheat flour for diabetes patients. It is first time that It came into my knowledge the carb count of gram flour through this "Low Carb Friends". THANKS LOW CARB FRIENDS.
Ashraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
Technically, besan (gram flour, bengal gram flour) isn't made from chickpeas, at least not the chickpeas westerners know as garbanzo beans, it's made from a close relative of the chickpea that Indians call channa dal.

According to a handful of studies, channa dal and besan have one of the lowest glycemic values of any food. Although having a low glycemic value and being good for a low carb WOE are definitely not one in the same, I do think besan and channa dal can play a significant role in an earlier stage than legumes, where they would normally be allowed.

That being said, the USDA numbers are correct carbwise.
I use this flour all the time, for breading my deep fried veggies. It needs to be seasoned well before using as a breading material because of the strong taste (I don't care for beans anyway so the taste is strong to me and may not be strong to other) and even though some would consider this not a LC food, I do because it is a "good" carb in reference to the health benefits of this product.

Sometimes a thing can be a higher carb product and STILL be incorporated into a LC WOE. Don't discount something just because the carb numbers may seem high. Look at the benefits of the product as far as what it will add to your overall health and go from there.

JMHO

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote