Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2004, 06:45 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Angie B.
Stats: 165/155/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June2004
kid friendly recipes

Hello

I have two kids one is 2 1/2 and the other is 6. Anyone have kid friendly recipes that could help me not to have to cook two meals every night?

Thanks,
Angie
Angie B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2004, 05:29 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: VAmomof2
Stats: 150/130/128-130
WOE: general lc and exercise
Start Date: Jan 2004
Last night I made Linda Sue's deep dish pizza (but the thin crust variety) for the entire family. I had tested 1/2 recipe just for me last week and one DD and DH gave it a big thumbs up. I made it in 2 9x9 pans. Topped one with ricotta, chicken, broccoli, cheese and bacon, the other ricotta and cheese and then put pepperoni and 1/2 (no one in my family is a big red sauce fan - that is why the white pizza). Everyone loved it and no leftovers.

I have also served everyone:
- Linda Sue's Chicken enchilada casserole (I just use less taco seasoning so it is not spicy)
- Linda Sue's Whitecastle cheeseburger pie
- Pork BBQ (one DD eats with BBQ sauce, the other just love the meat plain - eldest DD even likes the LC coleslaw I make to go with it!)
- Pork tenderloins (smeared with mayo and mustard mix - theirs topped with breadcrumbs, mine sprinked with chopped pecans)
- Baked chicken breasts
- George Stella's LC fried chicken (a big hit but A LOT of work)
- Prime Rib (an all time favorite)
- Chicken Parm (I use very little red sauce so no problem for me)
- Zucchini fritters - big hit (11 yo DD asked to not finish her chicken this weekend so that she could have more zucchini - unbelievable!)
- Ham and cheese quiche (we love breakfast for dinner)
- French Toast (theirs regular, mine with LC bread)
- Pan fried chicken cutlets (in butter - no need to flour them)
- Chicken and broccoli stir fry (just don't thicken the sauce)

I have a very picky 10 year old and she has eaten all these (except the zucchini). I usually try and have the main course be something we will all eat and then they get a starch on the side and I get an extra veggie on the side. When I am trying something new that I think might not be good, I make a 1/2 recipe just for me and prepare them something quick and easy.

Good luck!
VAmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:38 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MIlowcarber
WOE: atkins induction
Last night I made Linda Sue's sloppy joe pie and the night before the chicken and green bean casserole. My four year old told me that I could make the green bean casserole every night for dinner. I only cook one main item for dinner and serve them a side if needed. Last night we had a big fruit salad and green beans with the sloppy joe pie. I can't think of a dinner recipe I have made that they didn't eat. I refuse to cook special for them. Tonight will be another chicken dish as soon as I decide what. Good Luck

Started: 1/5/04 190/156/140
Broke ankle
Restarted: 3/17/05 168/161/135
MIlowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 06:14 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stewcarol
VAmom, what a great list of meals!! Where did you get the zucchini fritters recipe? Sounds like you enjoy cooking. I usually make a meat dish with salad for all of us, and the kids either get garlic bread, or tortellini, mac 'n cheese, or some starchy side dish (bagel, buttered bread when in a pinch). They have to eat some of everything, and I'm finding out my 10-year old son in quite fond of beef (which I wouldn't have known if I didn't make them try everything). Found out he is NOT fond of cole slaw from last night, but hey, he tried it.
stewcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:53 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: VAmomof2
Stats: 150/130/128-130
WOE: general lc and exercise
Start Date: Jan 2004
Stewcarol - I just came up with the zucchini recipe on my own. I loved doing fried zucchini with either soy flour or parm cheese but it is too much work so I decided to try it another way.

1 large or 2 small zucchini
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons soy flour
3 tablespoons parm cheese

Grate the zucchini and press out well in paper towels to remove the extra water. Mix egg and cream. Mix in baking powder. Stir in zucchini. Sprinkle over soy flour and stir. Sprinkle over parm cheese and stir. (if you try to mix the dry with the wet first you get a lump and then it is tough to mix the zucchni in - believe me - I tried it)

Drop by large spoonfuls into a frying pan with 3 tablespoons of peanut oil in it. Flatten out each patty and flip when they are brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.

I get 8 fritters out of this which would feed 4. I ate these with sour cream, DD ate them with ranch dressing. You could add onion but my DDs don't like that so I didn't. I just bought some broccoli slaw today (just the shredded broccoli, no sauce). I plan to try 1/2 zucchini and 1/2 broccoli later this week. I love deep fried broccoli with soy batter so this should be similar.

Hope you like it!
VAmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:21 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pam in FL
Stats: 180/170/150
Start Date: January 2004
I know what you mean about picky kids! I have a 9 year old and a 12 year old that are the same way.

Mine like steak, any fried chicken (especially parmesan - one wants with sauce, the other without!) ,my baked cheesy cauliflower, my newest recipe that i just posted was a hit too- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Garlic Sauce. My 9 year old leaves the sauce off. I like to make a salad since 3 out of 4 of us will eat it. They'll also eat the Dreamfield's spaghetti, of course hamburgers and hot dogs, pretty much anything that has the meat seperate from the veggie! Casseroles don't go over well in my house! We sometimes have breakfast for dinner too, with omelets, bacon, sausage, and cut up fruit. They love that and I make toast for them. I look forward t hearing what everyone else makes for the kiddies!
Pam in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:55 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Angie B.
Stats: 165/155/125
Start Date: June2004
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I will be sure to try them. It makes me feel better to know that others are doing LC with kids and succeeding.

angie
Angie B. is offline   Reply With Quote