Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenifer_in_CA
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/28/04
French Genoise Sponge Cake

OMG, last night I made a recipe from a new lc magazine I purchased - it was either LC Living or LC Energy, I can't remember which.

Anyway, they had this recipe for strawberry shortcake and it was SO GOOD.

The sponge cake was VERY similar to the topping from LisaUK's cobbler recipe, but the texture turned out very different. To me, the cobbler topping was almost a little eggy.

With that in mind, I was very skeptical to try this because it required SIX eggs and only 1 cup of almond meal. I gave it a shot anyway.

I don't have the recipe in front of me (I can remember the ingredients, just not the splenda measurements) so I will post when I get home tonight. It's so, so good - has the texture of angel food cake, sort of.

1 c. almond meal/flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
6 eggs, separated (I only had 5 on hand)
1 t. vanilla
1 t. almond extract
1/2 c. splenda (i will verify this amount tonight)

Mix almond meal, baking powder and salt in bowl. In separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and splenda (i used liquid) until thick and pale yellow. Stir in vanilla and almond extract. Mix together with almond meal mixture. Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Take 1/4 c. of whites and mix it into the almond/yolk mixture. Gently fold in the remaining.

Spread onto a buttered cake pan (I think mine was 12 x 8 - it was one of those tin ones you buy at the grocery store) and bake at 325 or 350 for 20 minutes.

I don't have a full carb count because the recipe counts in the mag included whipped cream and strawberries.

This is just so, so yummy.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2004, 05:56 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mahyde
Stats: 119/110/110
WOE: moderate carbs/Zone
Start Date: April 2001
Any cream of tartar for the egg whites? I am going to make this when you can post the correct amount of splenda. Sounds great.

Thanks
mahyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Amazingly, my recipe was correct. No cream of tartar is needed.

I hope you like it. I ate mine w/ whipped cream and fresh strawberries.

I should also add that this is a very thin cake. Don't expect it to rise!

Last edited by Jenifer_in_CA; 07-12-2004 at 06:19 PM..
Jenifer_in_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:43 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: becksterinindy
Jennifer it sounds great and I will give it a try but can you post the carb count the magazine gave please???
becksterinindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:33 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Sounds lovely Jenifer! Which LC mag was it in?

Thanks!

Here's the nutritional info from MasterCook:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1024 Calories; 75g Fat (65.3% calories from fat); 53g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 1122mg Cholesterol; 1354mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 11 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

25 net carbs for the entire cake is pretty good! Would that make 9 servings?

Last edited by auntie3; 07-13-2004 at 02:37 AM..
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jvryden
Stats: 140/116/115
WOE: Atkins Maintenance as of 1/04
Start Date: 7/27/03
I saw that recipe and it looked like a winner to try. Nice to know that it was good before I give it a go. It was in Low Carb Living's Summer Entertaining special publication. The directions say to bake at 350 btw. And at 6 servings (with strawberries and whipped cream I would imagine) that it has 7 net carbs (1 g fiber). Oh, and it says to put parchment on the pan and butter it first also.
jvryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for adding the other info from the recipe.

I left out the parchment and butter thing because I did not do that. I just sprayed my pan w/ Pam which worked fine. Why do the extra step if you don't have to? LOL

The magazine says to put it in a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan, but mine wasn't quite that large. A pan that size would make the slices almost too thin for my taste to I prefer my size.

I think 8 servings would be a better count.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:34 PM   #8

Thanks guys - that sounds wonderful!

Jennifer, what I could see doing with the Genoise:

Firstly, I think I would use the larger jelly roll pan size. Remove the cake, and roll up with a clean tea towel until cooled.

You could combine the strawberries and whipped cream and spread over the genoise, and roll up jelly roll fashion, then make 8 nice sized slices. Now THAT would make a wonderful presentation!

The other thing you could do is just remove from the pan, and cut in half. Smear the whipped cream and strawberries on one half, and top with the other half. Then cut into servings. This would give you 6 generous portions. I think 8 would be too difficult to cut nicely this way. You're only getting 4 net grams of carbs from the cake ( or if you're not doing ecc, it would be 6). Top with a beautiful dollop of whipping cream and a gorgeous strawberry fan! Yum.

Of course, without seeing what they did in the magazine, I could be totally out to lunch! LOL

If you haven't tried a French Genoise before, you really should. These are a very delicate and light spongey type cake, with a wonderful flavor!

Thanks for sharing, Jenifer!

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
Old 07-13-2004, 06:08 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
I've got mine in the oven right now! But I goofed and used a smaller pan than I was supposed to, so mine is thicker like a regular cake. I can get 12 small servings or 8 larger ones. I think I'll cut it into 12 and than cut each piece in half for a strawberry shortcake effect. Smells good!
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:52 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Auntie, what I did was almost exactly what you suggested!

I cut the cake into 8 even pieces (w/ 2 extra smaller pieces) and I laid one piece on the plate, added a little whipped cream and strawberries then added the other piece and topped with more whipped cream, strawberries and a mint sprig.

Sort of a napoleon effect. It was really, really good.

This cake is perfectly yummy all by itself.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:43 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Auntie, that jelly roll sounds great. I am going to have to try that IF I have a jelly roll pan.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:39 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

This was very, very good!! I sliced each piece in half, topped with whipped cream (homemade) and strawberries. I also had a piece by itself and it was fantasic split, with a little SF Vanilla DaVinci's drizzled over it. Two thumbs up here!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:22 PM   #13

Interesting, Jenifer. Great minds think alike!! LOL

Oh my!! Meli-Mel - you just released a creative goddess in yourself!! That sounds awesome with the DV syrup. Mmmm. I'm thinking brandy, or kirsch, or ....

Mahyde - I hope you try that jelly roll idea. These are so elegant, and make the loveliest presentation - for yourself and company! LOL

Old 07-14-2004, 04:36 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

In the magazine they also suggest that it would be a good base for tiramisu, boston cream pie or an ice cream cake. Mmmmm. Sounds like fun. I may try something with this over the weekend.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:28 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I agree that this cake has endless possibilities and would work well in many different types of recipes!

Also, just had another piece, split w/ a drizzle of banana SF DaVinci's and a dollop of whip cream- pure heaven!!! *insert drooly smiley*
Old 07-15-2004, 02:03 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
There's a delicious recipe for Orange Blossom Torte from the Rittenhouse Inn that I bet would be wonderful with this as the torte layers. Here's the recipe (modifed to be low carb):

Torte: bake the French Genoise sponge in 8" round baking pans, and slice in half after they've cooled (if that seems possible without crumbling the cakes)

Filling:
1/4 cup sour cream
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1/3 cup splenda

Frosting:
3/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons splenda

For the filling:
In a medium bowl, beat sour cream, cream cheese, and softened butter until fluffy. Beat in orange peel, extract, and splenda.
Place one split cake layer on plate. Spread about 3/4 cup filling on top. Continue with remaining layers, ending with a filling layer.

For the frosting:
Combine whipping cream, vanilla, splenda and whip to stiff peaks. Frost completed cake. If desired, garnish with flowers and walnut halves.

In my pre-low carbing days, the full-carb version was the best imaginable torte, and the only substitutions are splenda for sugar, so I bet it will be delicious low carb too. The original called for standard genoise sponge layers, so the low carb version should work well. I'll try this when I have lots of guests coming (since otherwise I'd eat too much of it). The Rittenhouse Inn also drizzles the layers with a tiny bit of orange liquor (Grand Marnier).
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:57 PM   #17

Tiva - That sounds divine! I'm thinking you could sprinkle a bit of DaVinci's syrup on the layers for extra flavor punch, but it would be perfectly lovely without it. Just so I'm sure on this: the last layer is the cream cheese/ sour cream filling, then you top that with the whipped cream frosting. Right? Mmmmm. We really do need a drooling sticky!

Old 07-16-2004, 05:33 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Auntie3--yes, it does seem a little odd, but the last layer is the filling, topped with the whipped cream. The Rittenhouse Inn serves it with violets on top, and they add a little walnut extract to the whipped cream frosting too, but that's hard to find. It's so amazingly good (my memories from 7 years ago). I think it's time for a big party, so I can make this! You can see a little picture of the torte on their website at http://www.rittenhouseinn.com/dining.html
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 05:38 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DBrown8614
Stats: 200/165/125
WOE: Dr. Atkins
Start Date: November 2003
OMG!! I adore orange!!! This sounds sooooooooo heavenly!!!!

Thank you, thank you!! This and a nice cup of green tea with orange and jasmine................aw definitely heaven!!
DBrown8614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:15 AM   #20

Oh My!! That does look wonderful and elegant. This may just have to be a keeper! Thanks Tiva - and Jenifer!
Old 07-17-2004, 04:33 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I made the recipe as written last night for strawberry shortcakes...YUMMY!!! I cut them into 8 servings though, because 6 would have been just too huge when it was layered with the strawberries and whipped cream.

I think this could certainly be rolled for a roulade or cut creatively for a torte. Different extracts in the batter might be interesting too (like...say...Orange?). The orange torte idea sounds great. DH love, loves orange. I may have to try that soon, but I've been thinking of tiramisu ideas....

must. stop.

Old 07-17-2004, 09:36 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Auntie, I was going to try and make this jelly roll but need to know if you wait until the cake is cool and then spread the strawberry/whip cream mixture on it or spread while warm and roll it then.

Anyone else with suggestions, let me know.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2004, 01:25 PM   #23

Let the cake cool for about 1 - 2 minutes. Remove from jelly roll pan, (flip over onto counter - it's easiest if you use another pan to help with this) and peel off parchment paper. Flip back over, so that the top of the cake is on top. Lay a clean tea towel on the cake, and roll up (you're rolling one long side towards the other long side. Let cool completely - at least one hour. Unroll, then spread on the whipped cream mixture, leaving about a one inch border on the long side, and reroll. Voila! Jelly Roll, without the jelly! Be sure to refrigerate for at least half an hour before cutting. Use a serrated blade to cut into nice uniform slices.

Oh my mouth is watering at the thought!

Old 07-17-2004, 01:55 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Auntie, will let you know how it turns out.