Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2004, 07:12 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/238/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
how do you deal with freezer burn...or is it just me?

I can not stand to buy meat and keep it in the freezer for more than a few weeks. No matter what i do to it, it gets a wierd taste after a while....not to mention i often get major freezer burn.

I have tried to get it double wrapped in paper (usually my best bet for non freezer burn...but still...) if i leave it in the plastic wrapping with the styrofoam...it quickly goes "bad". I have tried those so called freezer storage bags...pfffft...yuck.

Any advise...or is it just me. If i get even the slightest funky smell...i toss my meat...grosses me out to no end. (hubby swears he doesnt smell anything...but i do!)

Liz

Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.
nurseypoo5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2004, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: red_delicious
Stats: 325/230/150
WOE: WLS - Paleo
Start Date: August 25, 2011 (Date of surgery)
I usually put it in ziplock bags . . . and then I put the ziplock bags into bigger freezer bags.

Granted, meat doesn't usually stay in my freezer longer than a couple of weeks . . . but when it has, I have never noticed a freezer burned taste. This from a woman who wouldn't eat ice cream that had been in the freezer OPENED for more than 48 hours because I don't like ice crystals . . . lol

Some people on here swear by the foodsaver, though. I'm thinking of buying one, too.

Good luck and let me know if you come up with anything better, I am always looking for ways to make my food last longer!

Old 07-02-2004, 07:19 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/193/160
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 5/28/14
I triple wrap my meats.

First, wrap tightly in aluminum foil.
Then put in baggie (make sure all air is out)
Then another baggie.

Air + condensation makes freezer burn.

I just "defrosted" chicken the other day that was from January and it tasted fine..no burn.
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:19 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: srsmom
Stats: 196/178.4/140 5'3.5"
WOE: Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead juice on since 12/27/13
Start Date: May 22, 2004
I take mine out of the store wrap and make it into smaller portions. I then wrap it in a lot of saran (a big piece so I can wrap it around more), then squeeze all the air out the sides and press it sort of into the meat before I close up the ends, if that makes any sense. Then after all the portions are wrapped and squeezed, I put all those in a big freezer ziploc bag together. It works well, but I still really want a food saver!
srsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:54 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: becksterinindy
I also wrap mine very well in saran wrap and then into freezer bags. I try to not let meat stay in freezer over 6 weeks. I think the FoodSaver may be your best bet Liz. I am toying with the idea myself. It would pay for itself in no time if you keep throwing out the meat LOL. Everyone who has one is very happy. Did you see the thread in the recipe help forum???
becksterinindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:44 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
I buy my meat in larger quantities Costco. They have excellent quality meat in my opinion Then I wrap it in one or two servings in plastic wrap placed inside a Ziploc freezer bag. The Ziploc bags are usually very full...meaning little air...before I am done. I am single and sometimes my meat is in the freezer up to 3 months. I never had a problem with freezer burn.

I guess triple wrapping wouldn't hurt. Good luck.
NorthernNisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:35 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lori42
Stats: 144/128/125
WOE: Moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: May 2003
One word: FOODSAVER!! Maybe that's two?? lol

I've had one for years now and they can't be beat for keeping your meats fresh and no freezer burn! And now Costco, Bj's and other wholesale clubs sell the rolls of bags at such good prices.

I say go for it!

Lori
Lori42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:46 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
I'm with Lori - a Food Saver! We've had one now for 3 years and we haven't had any more freezer burnt meats or moldy cheese. We use it almost every day. There's ofcourse a lot more you can do with it besides just meat and cheese. Ours has paid for itself many times over.

But, on a side note - if your meat is freezer burnt or you don't care for its freezer smell - I would then use it to make stock out of - it would still make excellent stock. I save all my veggies scraps in freezer ziploc bags - asparagus ends, onion skins, squash ends, tomatoes that are getting soft, peppers that are getting wrinkled - you get the idea. That way when I make my stock, I typically have 8-10 gallon ziploc bags full of these veggie scraps that make beautiful tasty stock. *Ɯ*
SSin-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 04:29 AM   #9

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Frost free freezers are notorious for causing freezer burn - much more quickly than the manual defrost type of freezer. Of course, if your only freezer is the one attached to your fridge, then that's just something you have to live with. I don't think I could ever own a manual defrost fridge again! I've noticed very little in the way of freezer burn with my new(er) manual defrost upright freezer. I even make ice cubes in it and they don't dry out, and disappear into nothingness! LOL.

Anyway, I agree that the taste of freezer burn is ugly. Depending on how much burn there is, I will sometimes just cut the burned part out. If it's bad, I'll toss it. I figure if it's been in the freezer long enough to get burnt, then I probably don't really need it all that badly!

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 08:40 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally posted by auntie3
Frost free freezers are notorious for causing freezer burn - much more quickly than the manual defrost type of freezer.

really? darn... do you know why then??
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 04:00 AM   #11

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
It's because of the coolant, argo2d. It just dries everything! That's why it's so important to keep out as much air as possible, because it uses the moisture from the air, and causes large ice crystals to form. That's primarily what causes the "burn". I really like vacuum sealed products for this reason, which is why I would invest in a FoodSaver if I had a frost free freezer, like I used to.

I learned this from the appliance sales person who sold me the manual defrost freezer. I thought I "wanted" frost free, until he looked at me like I had a pea for a brain! LOL

auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:26 PM   #12

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Freezer burn is just evaporation/dehydration right?

I wish i could remember who said it so I can give them credit, but
someone experimented with flash freezing their meat(uncovered) then spritzing the meat with plain water till a layer of water built up. She kept a peice of meat for months and only the water layer evaporated a little and the meat was not freezer burned!

I'm trying that right now, except I didn't have a spray bottle so i just got a dish of cold water and dunked the (small pieces of) meat into the cold water and put it back onto the foam tray. (Oh! frozen fingers! ) Five minutes later the water was frozen and the meat was shiney like glass I have dunked lots of pieces of chuck and chicken legs (chicken legs seem to dry out the worst for me) Now they all have a shiney coating of ice. I broke off any sharp edges and put them into a gallon bag (not freezer bag)

Another benefit of doing this is that the meat is individually frozen and SEPARATE No more banging it against the counter to get a one portion serving My poor counters can't take much more.

someone suggesting freezing meats individually in a liquid marinate keeps freezer burn down and flavors the meat while its thawing in the bag.

I'll leave one piece of meat unprotected in the freezer for a few months and report back to you. But I'm sure the results will be good.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carajean
Stats: 128/115 5'5"
WOE: Not too strict LC
Start Date: March 2003
I was watching America's Test Kitchen the other day and they did an "equipment test" with freezer bags and they said Glad were the best by far.
carajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:43 PM   #14
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Another Foodsaver convert here - I bought my second one last year, not because the first one (about 25 years old!) broke but because it required both hands to operate and left me wishing for a third! LOL!

The new one is totally hands-free and I love it. I use it MUCH more now than I did the old one, and not ONE spec of freezer burn or off smell on anything I've used it for. We have a big smoker and smoke LOTS at once so that Foodsaver is invaluable in getting that stuff stored in the freezer and still tasting fresh months later!

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Petlady
WOE: Just low carb
Start Date: Which time?!
I love my food sealer!! No freezer burnt taste here!
Petlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:41 PM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Ditto on the foodsaver. I actually wore mine completely out. First we replaced the rubber stripping and then the motor went and I must have had it about 10 years, but I used it every single day for something. I got a new one for Christmas and it's the hands-free type also, so much better. I love it.

I use the attachment for the wide mouth canning jars and store all my carbquick, coconut flour, chef's blend, etc via the vacuum sealer--they never go rancid. I also put them in the freezer afterwards, just in case.

I use the cannisters they sell for the foodsaver for shredded cheese and lettuce, stuff like that when I buy it in bulk from Sam's.

It really is a FOODSAVER!!
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:14 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgarza
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2002; Jan 2005
Buy a Foodsaver!

I've never had freezer burn since I started using mine.
I also LOVE it for sealing all my bags...like my Carbquik bag, Poly D bag, Coconut bag, Almond flour bag, pork rind bag, etc. etc. etc.
I can't believe I cooked for 35 years without one, and I probably never would have bought one myself, thinking it was just an expensive "gadget". But my DH surprised me with one for Christmas.
Now I will always have one! It pays for itself over time...because you never have to throw out freezer burned meat or spoiled "bag" food.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I've used a food saver (the cheapest model) for 3 years and I love it. We live way out in the country so I buy in bulk when I shop and stock up on meat that's on sale (we have two deep freezers). I've kept meat for a year with no freezer burn using the food saver. You need to freeze the meat for about an hour before vacuum packing so the juices don't runs out but the results are great. I wash (in dishwasher) the bags and reuse so a roll lasts me quite a while. If you have a Sam's store nearby you can get the rolls quite a bit cheaper (3-4 to a pack) over buying individually. I also use mine to reseal bags like carbquik etc. (Before thie WOE I learned how much longer potato chips and the like kept if the bag was just resealed with the food saver). This thing has long ago paid for itself in the food I haven't thrown out.

Last edited by jackieba; 02-27-2006 at 09:39 AM..
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Wendy T
Stats: 252/215.6/145 5'6" 50 years young
WOE: VSG
Start Date: June 2, 2014
Press and Seal Freezer (by Glad??) works really well, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wendy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:07 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Food saver
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:29 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nana Lee/MA
WOE: Gastric by-pass surgery
Start Date: Nov 20 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa
I wish i could remember who said it so I can give them credit, but
someone experimented with flash freezing their meat(uncovered) then spritzing the meat with plain water till a layer of water built up. She kept a peice of meat for months and only the water layer evaporated a little and the meat was not freezer burned!

I'm trying that right now, except I didn't have a spray bottle so i just got a dish of cold water and dunked the (small pieces of) meat into the cold water and put it back onto the foam tray. (Oh! frozen fingers! ) Five minutes later the water was frozen and the meat was shiney like glass I have dunked lots of pieces of chuck and chicken legs (chicken legs seem to dry out the worst for me) Now they all have a shiney coating of ice. I broke off any sharp edges and put them into a gallon bag (not freezer bag)

Another benefit of doing this is that the meat is individually frozen and SEPARATE No more banging it against the counter to get a one portion serving My poor counters can't take much more.

someone suggesting freezing meats individually in a liquid marinate keeps freezer burn down and flavors the meat while its thawing in the bag.

I'll leave one piece of meat unprotected in the freezer for a few months and report back to you. But I'm sure the results will be good.
When I lived in Boston and had access to a Trader Joe's, they had flash frozen chicken breast done just that way. Each one was separate and covered with ice. They do last a long time. However, since I don't have a freezer large enought to do this I use my Foodsaver! It is excellent for keeping food fresh. I also freeze things separately then package them with my Foodsaver. Then all I have to do is slice it open, take what I want, and reseal the bag. My Foodsaver is on my counter at all times.

Lee

Lee

Life is the present, enjoy!
Nana Lee/MA is offline   Reply With Quote