Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2004, 10:38 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: srsmom
Stats: 196/178.4/140 5'3.5"
WOE: Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead juice on since 12/27/13
Start Date: May 22, 2004
How long will egg, tuna, and chicken salad keep in the fridge?

I am really trying to lower my carbs a bit without having to actually count them, and would like to have these three already prepared and easy to grab so I will not be tempted by something else. But I do not want to make myself sick in the process, lol. So does anyone here know how long they would be safe? Thanks!

Last edited by srsmom; 06-23-2004 at 10:39 AM..
srsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: keelysmom2000
Stats: 215/215/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/28/14
I'm curious for opinions too. I generally keep all of them in the fridge for up to a week...if they last that long
keelysmom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:57 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: srsmom
Stats: 196/178.4/140 5'3.5"
WOE: Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead juice on since 12/27/13
Start Date: May 22, 2004
OK, now I do not feel much better. I went to webmd.com, which linked me to homefoodsafety.org. It has a chart, but some of the highlights were:

cooked ground beef, turkey, deli meat 2-3 days
cooked pork, poultry, beef 3-4 days
cooked seafood 2 days
salad, fresh veggies 1-2 days!!!
deviled eggs 2-3 days
cooked veggies 3-4 days
hard boiled eggs 7 days

I will look on some other sites, but so far I am not encouraged. I never eat all the veggies I buy in 1-2 days!

OK, USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service says 3-5 days for tuna and egg salad, and cooked chicken, but did not mention chicken salad. I am going to go with the 3-5 days

Last edited by srsmom; 06-23-2004 at 11:03 AM..
srsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:08 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
I think that's for veggies once they've been cut. Until they're washed and cut I keep mine at least a week in the bins. Salad in the bowl doesn't last more than 2 days anyway.

I keep egg salad for 3-4 days, and tuna 2-3 days. Cold cuts are usually good for about 5 days (depending). I think that's a "recommendation" and not what "Real" people do.

JMO,
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:29 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: saige
Stats: 199/129/131
WOE: atkins (DADR) - Maintenance
Start Date: 10/01/03
I've never tried longer than 3 days. Most of the time it's gone in 2.
I'd be nervous about anything longer than three - even cooked foods.
saige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 02:24 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
After 2-3 days, I toss chicken, tuna and egg salads, since I don't want to risk food poisoning. For deli meats, 5 days usually seems fine. For uncut fresh veggies and salad mixes, with those special veggie storage bags, you can keep them fresh for 2 weeks. Those bags save me a ton of money!
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 02:44 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kukukachew
Stats: 360/343/215 (starting = guestimate)
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: May, 2004
I'd recommend 3-4 days.

It'll do a little better on the bottom shelf of the fridge. A piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the food - in contact with the top of the food - even in a sealed plastic container, will help keep it a little fresher tasting due to less air contact.
kukukachew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom2niki
Stats: 160/150/125
I have to respond to this one... I am a trainer and one of the trainings I do is on bacteria and food safety.
The most important thing is to put it in the fridge AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Bacteria doubles every 15 minutes. Once in the fridge, bacteria won't be killed, however if you make sure your fridge is lower than 24d F, it won't multiply. The danger zone is 24-124 F.
Not a pleasant thought about all that bacteria on your food, but some is normal. Make sure all food is sealed in an airtight container.
Hope this is somewhat helpful. BTW, I usually only make enough of salads to last at most 3 days... after that there is an increased risk of foodborne illness.
Another tip... when you are eating the salads from the fridge, don't eat right out of the container! That puts bacteria into the food. Take out what you want and put the rest away.
mom2niki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:23 PM   #9
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Quote:
Another tip... when you are eating the salads from the fridge, don't eat right out of the container! That puts bacteria into the food. Take out what you want and put the rest away.
Good point. Three days is my uppermost limit for almost anything. Even with hardboiled egss I only make two days worth. In an abundance of caution.

~jezzie
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 04:35 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by mom2niki
Once in the fridge, bacteria won't be killed, however if you make sure your fridge is lower than 24d F, it won't multiply. The danger zone is 24-124 F.
Don't things freeze below 32 degrees Farenheit? I always thought you were supposed to keep your fridge at about 40 degrees. Maybe I'm confused.
Cap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:05 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
It's got me confused, too!
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:08 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
Me, Three on that 24° temp...Mine is set at 40°, and will stay there.

I throw out egg and tuna salads on the third day...they look ickky by then, separating and watery anyway, and why risk my health?

Shawnee
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:54 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: amaplay
Stats: Size 16/Size 16/Size 10
Start Date: feels like a lifetime
Gosh I was going to post exactly this because I boiled eggs on Sun? and haven't had time to eat them. Like 7! So glad to hear I have a week.

I have heard cooked veggies are max 3 days--to me max two days.

I think fresh veggies--it really really depends on the veggie, and also where you buy it. Farmer's market, they haven't spent weeks on a truck, so they last longer. And cabbage can easily last 2 weeks. I find that all bagged lettuce goes bad before the date on the package--I almost never buy that stuff any more. Celery can last a long time if it's wrapped in a paper towel and then in foil (I'm pretty sure that's the trick)

Are you sure about the deli meats??!!! I just bought $12 worth of deli ham and chicken on Sunday which would mean it's bad now!!! It seems OK. I hate to waste the $.
amaplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:44 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
I'm pretty sure those deli meats will be okay - they are so full of preservatives, my guess is they'd be good for at least 5 days - maybe even more. What you'll notice is that they begin to feel sticky and slimy before they start to smell or look off. Then it's time to get rid of them.

auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:18 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RLDCatwoman
Start Date: September 2003
Still curious about the 24 degree fridge! Personally, I don't like ice crystals in my food (or the kid's milk!) Anyone?

Rachael
RLDCatwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:30 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Alania
Stats: 195.6/185/140
Start Date: 2-3-14
I worked in the food industry and 24 degrees does sound a little low. We usually kept our refridgerators around 33-36 (max!!). I know that 40 is high, though - bacteria multiplies *very* quickly at 40 degrees. Of course, I am one to talk! I keep hard boiled eggs for weeks in the fridge. I eat dips, chicken and tuna salad, and stuffed eggs for 6-7 days. I have kept a quart of heavy cream over a month past its sell by date and it was fine. I have never gotten sick.

Basically, these day amounts are guidelines. I can tell if something is bad by the look, smell, or texture. If I threw out my food by those guidelines I'd have nothing to eat!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:50 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kukukachew
Stats: 360/343/215 (starting = guestimate)
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: May, 2004
I've seen heavy cream last months in the fridge, if unopened, and near the back or bottom where it stays the coldest.

The higher the fat content, and non-exposure to air, the more stable things seem to be.

I'm pretty daring too. Usually I throw stuff away fairly quickly, unless I really really want them. Then I am just plain stupid.

Not long ago, I wanted some shredded mozzarella on something.

In the opened package -- one end of the package of shredded mozarella was blue, but the other end looked perfectly fine. I very carefully removed and used a little cheese from the end that appeared unaffected. Nothing happened to me, but it was pretty dumb.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jennilou12
fridge temp

I'm not sure what that person is training people with, but according to ServSafe (I'm a culinary student), danger zone is 41 to 135 F. Yes, below 32 will freeze, lol.
jennilou12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsadm
Stats: Way too big/Too big/Much smaller
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennilou12 View Post
I'm not sure what that person is training people with, but according to ServSafe (I'm a culinary student), danger zone is 41 to 135 F. Yes, below 32 will freeze, lol.
Thanks jennilou, I am sure you are correct. And welcome to Low Carb friends!
mrsadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mike oliver
Curious about the egg salad in tha fridge, too.....?

Well, I was hoping to see better info. on this subject? I've always been curious about how long different foods last in the fridge. I made egg salad last Sun. am & put in sealed tupperware container. I just ate 3-egg salad sandwiches for lunch. Still good. Been doing this forever. I'm 72 & I'm still here & healthy. Also, I store deli meats (no turkey-turns slimy in short period of time) such as Va. ham, chicken breast, baby swiss/jalapena cheese in zip locked bags & lasts a good week+. Saw an article on Yahoo, & it says people waste BILLIONS of dollars every year by throwing out food that show expired.
Ex. Milk....I can tell by smelling/tasting. Be suprised how long it last if you have your fridge cold.(not turning it into ice, LOL) Test your egg! Put in pot of water, if it floats..."bad egg"..if it sinks..."good egg". Wish I had coppied that article & pasted here. Expiration is something the Mfg's put on their products.(suggested-expires) I will try & find it & come bk & post it.
Guess I will use my eyes/nose/taste & natural instinct to determine when something is not edible any longer.? Cannot see wasting good food. Times too tough to waste anything-especially when you are retired & on a fixed income. (wife aggrees) (grinnnnnnnnnnnnn)
mike oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pmoriart
Sell by date vs Expiration Date

Expiration, Use-by, and Sell-by Date Information - Home Cooking

Many products we by like milk, bread, and eggs all have sell by dates, not expiration dates. These products when stored properly should last far beyond that date.

Storage Times for the Refrigerator and Freezer | FoodSafety.gov

These are the storage charts put out by the government, which I'll add are pretty conservative as this same site also says that the minimum safe internal temp for steak is 145 degrees.

Personally, I have a 5 day rule on all meat when raw and then 3-4 days after cooking, meaning, I would keep beef for instance in the fridge for up to 5 days, cook it then keep it 3-4 more days. I grew up in a house that left food sitting out on the stove for when people got home to eat, which was sometimes hours, we thawed things on the counter, and left food out in the sun for hours at barbeques. I'm still alive. I'm sure that all of these things could make you sick. My point is we all do things that carry some sort of risk.
pmoriart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
I wont cook raw meat that has been in the fridge for more than two days. But, I will eat cooked up to 7. Same with chicken.
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote