Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   1.4 Carb Hamburger Bun (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/241823-1-4-carb-hamburger-bun.html)

BettyR 06-08-2004 11:14 AM

1.4 Carb Hamburger Bun

This makes a wonderful hamburger bun, it tastes like a whole wheat bun. It's very sturdy and holds up well with all the juiciness of a hamburger with all the fixings.

1.4 Carb Hamburger Bun

2 tablespoons of melted butter-0
1/2 pinch of salt-0
1 extra large egg-.7
4 tablespoons of flaxseed meal-0
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.-.7

Mix together and put in the microwave and nuke for 1 minute or until center is set. Leave it in the bowl for another minute then turn it out on a cooling rack and let it cool.

Once it has cooled take a long bread knife and slice the bun in half and make your hamburger as usual.

I used a “grab-it” microwave bowl. It's just the right size to make a large hamburger bun.

Carb wise this should be induction legal, I just don't know if flaxseed meal is allowed on induction.

stewcarol 06-08-2004 11:25 AM

What's a grab-it microwave bowl? Like the size of a custurd cup or a small glass bowl? Sounds promising.

Di- 06-08-2004 12:09 PM

That's great...I happen to have a grab-it bowl just like the photo, I'llhave to try it. Thanks for the recipe!

kcduffer 06-08-2004 02:42 PM

Carb count is higher--

I hate to have to tell you this, but according to the USDA site, the net carb count on 4 tablespoons of flax seed is 3 grams. The nutritional info on packages is very misleading because it considers a serving size so small, that the carb count is 0. When in reality it's not really zero, but less than 1.:mad:

Here is the address for that site: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

BettyR 06-08-2004 03:44 PM

I use Bob's Red Mill flaxseed meal.

The Nutrition Facts on the package:
Serving Size 2 Tbsp
Total Carbohydrate 4g
Dietary Fiber 4g

Calorie King.com says the same thing
http://www.calorieking.com/foods/foo...95056&partner=

In any case it's very good for you and the lowest carb ingredient I can find.

LindaSue 06-08-2004 04:01 PM

I love my Grab-its. I have 10-12 of them with glass lids. I use them for reheating leftovers, for soup bowls and for storing leftovers. They are so handy. Oh, I also use them to make Mock Danish. They're just the right size.

LCRedhead 06-08-2004 04:48 PM

Betty,
Thanks for sharing. This looks Great.

shawneesioux 06-08-2004 04:53 PM

:)
Thank you BETTY for this fast and easy recipe. Will try it with a pinch of Onion powder.

;) Shawnee

Maintainer

BettyR 06-08-2004 05:42 PM

Your welcome.

I like to make one of the buns at night and wrap it up and put it in the frig. The next morning slice it in half and toast it and make an Egg McMuffin with it.

There is a 0 carb breakfast sausage on the market that is already cooked, all you have to do is warm it up, top it with a well done fried egg and a slice of cheese on a toasted LC hamburger bun, very satisfying.

shawneesioux 06-08-2004 05:54 PM

Thanks for the info, Betty...and that Recipe ! Perfect timing for me, as we are gonna grill burgers tonight. :D

I rushed right into the kitchen....WHAM-O! ..whipped some up (added in Onion Powder and a little shredded cheese, cause DH is a cheese-freak)

...so the finished product shows spots of cheese:

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/...6204190737.jpg

This will be a keeper. Thanks again :)

;) Shawnee

Maintainer

Nana Susie 06-08-2004 06:37 PM

Looks good! Can you get the bowl at Wally World?

Jewels 06-08-2004 06:52 PM

This looks sooo good but thats a lot of flaxmeal at one serving. I eat 2 TB but 4 TB might have me running to the pot...LOL

BettyR 06-08-2004 08:23 PM

shawneesioux-
Great picture, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think cheese is a great idea, I think Mozzarella would be good too.

Nana Susie-
We don't have a Wally World around here so I don't know.

Jewels60-
As for the flax meal, I sometimes eat two of these buns in one day and I haven't had any intestinal distress from it and my system is usually pretty easy to upset.

shawneesioux 06-08-2004 08:46 PM

Julie, if that's too much flaxmeal for ya, just replace 1/2 of it with some other LC flour, like almond meal.

Good stuff!

;)Shawnee

DEBI IN OHIO 06-09-2004 01:13 AM

I cant seem to open the picture of the BOWL but dang these look good with the cheese !!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap:

LindaSue 06-09-2004 03:48 AM

http://www.kitchenetc.com/shared_con...rge/534693.jpg

I have seen Grab-its at Wally World. I've also seen them at Kroger and other places.

shawneesioux, is the photo before or after slicing them in half?

BettyR 06-09-2004 06:24 AM

Is Wally World and Walmart the same thing?

Nana Susie 06-09-2004 06:31 AM

Yes, it is the same thing.;)

BettyR 06-09-2004 07:21 AM

OK, then yes you could get them at Wally World, but you'd get them a lot cheaper off eBay.

Or you could check out some flea markets this weekend or some garage sales. The people who sell them on eBay usually find them at garage sales.

They've been around for years but they're kind of expensive if you buy them new.

TXkim 06-09-2004 08:44 AM

I just made one of these this morning for breakfast. Great recipe, Betty! I used it to make a breakfast sandwich with egg, ham and cheese. Extrememly filling, actually TOO filling as I now feel stuffed after eating the whole thing! Really makes a LARGE bun. I just used a plastic, flat bottom cereal bow sprayed with Pam and it came right out after cooling for a minute. I'm thinking I might could triple the recipe and get 6 buns using a muffing top pan since they're smaller. Would have to cook them in the oven, though. Like Betty said, these are very sturdy and would hold up with any number of toppings. Would also make a great sub sandwich roll. Thank you, Betty!!:D

Jewels 06-09-2004 09:38 AM

Did you all find your hands greasy while eating? Wondering if I could reduce the butter?

BettyR 06-09-2004 10:29 AM

Jewel-
I suppose you could try 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tabespoon water and see what happens, but you also have to remember that flaxseed if VERY oily.

Ground flaxseed contains 56% Omega 3 and 16% Omega 6 fatty acids.

Research has suggested that omega-3 fatty acids, or essential fatty acids, can help lower cholesterol, regulate heartbeat, and thin the blood, thereby lessening the risk of heart disease. It's also possible that the omega-3 group may aid in treating depression, according to neuroscientist Andrew L. Stoll, MD, of Harvard Medical School, who has studied the effects of omega-3s on the illness. Besides it tastes good. ;)

DEBI IN OHIO 06-09-2004 11:16 AM

Thanks for the picture..... I have tons of these from corning ware and visions.....hardly ever use them at all

Nana Susie 06-09-2004 11:40 AM

I made one for lunch. It was yummy!! I just used a plain cereal bowl, and it came out fine. I also put onion powder and a little mixed cheese in.It was wonderful on a ham/turkey sandwich. Thanks for the recipe. It will be a staple for sure.:up:

Dar20 06-09-2004 11:59 AM

Flaxseed meal?

What is flaxseed meal? Is that ground flax seeds? I've seen flax seeds in the fridge at my local health food store, is that what I want? Help!

shawneesioux 06-09-2004 12:12 PM

Linda Sue

The pic is 'before" slicing...made in a rather large cereal bowl, so it is of course wider and not as high as one made in a Grab it.
Gonna pick up a couple of those. :D

I love this basic, simple and fast recipe...it can be experimented with, adding various other ingredients.

Cooking in the Nuker sure beats turning on the oven in hot weather...and its kinda like having "instant" bread.

Being a Maintainer (and avoiding Soy) , I will be trying this using a small amount of WW pastry flour to replace some of the Flax.

Julie, mine was not greasy...after cooling down, it was dense and firm.

;) Shawnee

Maintainer

shawneesioux 06-09-2004 12:56 PM

Darlene ~Dar20~

Yes, that flax seed is what ya want :)

I grind it in a coffee grinder, about 1/4 C at a time. Also keep the seed in the freezer, so it won't spoil...can get rancid if not kept in fridge or freezer.

Betty, GEEZ Gal...You've set off an avalance of interest in your yummy product. :cool:

Thanks again.

;) Shawnee

BettyR 06-09-2004 03:23 PM

Jewel-
I made one for lunch to eat with some leftover HB patties that I had in the frig, I used 2T almond flour and 2T flaxseed meal and it was a lot less greasy, but that ups the carb count to 3.4

LCRedhead 06-09-2004 04:16 PM

3.4 for a good bun
http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawk...wpage06/14.gif

So Betty which did you prefer? With or without the almond flour?

BettyR 06-09-2004 04:52 PM

I really did prefer the one with the almond flour. I like the taste of flaxseed but the oiliness of it sometimes puts me off a bit.

Flaxseed is so good for you and I try to eat it every day, but I'll probably make my buns with the 2T of almond flour from now on.