Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2004, 06:51 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack
Very Low Carb Chocolate Fudge recipe

Chocolate Fudge

1 cup heavy cream
2 sticks unsalted butter (no substitutions, must be unsalted)
2 oz unsweetened chocolate (broken in pieces)
8 oz American Cheese (not processed cheese food)
2 cups Splenda or equivalent liquid
1 TBS sifted cocoa
1 tsp liquid Sweet n Low or equivalent Stevia
1 TBS Vanilla

1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

In a heavy saucepan, combine cream, butter, chocolate, cheese and Splenda if using granulated. (If using liquid Splenda, add later with vanilla and sweet n low.) Heat on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate, cheese and butter are melted. Add sifted cocoa. Beat cocoa into mixture. Boil mixture for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add liquid ingredients and nuts, if using. Pour mixture into bowl and cool to almost room temperature, stirring occasionally to prevent butter from separating. Pour into a greased 8" X 8" pan and cool in refridgerator for 3 hours.

If you use liquid Splenda and no walnuts, the entire recipe has ~18 usable carbs. If you use granulated Splenda, the entire recipe has ~64 usable carbs. I think it would be a good induction dessert, without the walnuts, of course.

A few notes... I have made this twice. The second batch was better than the first. The first batch, I used Hershey's chocolate and Food Club (Yellow) American Cheese and liquid sweet n low.

On the second batch, I used Baker's unsweetened chocolate, Great Value (Wal-Mart brand) White American Cheese, and liquid Stevia in place of the Sweet n low. I used liquid Splenda on both batches. This fudge is really good and has the same texture as regular fudge. It's a keeper in my recipe collection.

I think you could adapt this to peanut butter fudge by omitting the chocolate, adding peanut butter (at the end) and probably reducing the Splenda (since the chocolate is so bitter). I'll try it and post my results. I also believe you could adapt it for other flavors (such as maple walnut) by omitting the chocolate and adding flavorings to the cream, cheese, and butter base.
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coolbreeze
Start Date: Jan 8, 2004
This sounds good. I love the Velveeta fudge. Not that I eat it now. Will add this one to my list of recipes to try.

Thanks
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:49 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hani
Stats: 235/179/thinking about really skinny
WOE: moderate carbs, no sugar.
Start Date: 3/21/03 @235 uncomfortable pounds
i dpon't live in the US. wht is american cheese that isn't food stuff. i mena, what is the next most similar cheese that would work? why do you add the cheese? it sounds osrta gross, but you say it is so good... pleae explain.
hani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:40 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
Thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to trying it!
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 07:01 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

hani... I don't know what you would substitute for American cheese. The cheese gives it a smooth texture. American cheese is very mild, so you can't taste it in the fudge. Don't you have a Wal-Mart in Israel ?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bernie
We don't even have American cheese in Canada so I don't really have an idea what it is. I assume it like the cheddar processed slices but that's just a guess. Would cream cheese work in this recipe?

Thanks
Bernie
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:07 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I guess you could try cream cheese, but it has kind of a tangy flavor and might be a little too soft. But, I will try it with cream cheese for my international LC friends and see what happens. I think it will taste very good, but I'm not sure about the texture. Oh, I just thought of something.... I could use cream cheese in place of the American cheese and use cocoa powder in place of the unsweetened chocolate. Maybe the powder will firm up the cream cheese. I'll try this tonight and let y'all know tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:01 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kglowack
Stats: 165/158/135 @ 5'8
Start Date: October 2003. Restart July 2008
Cjack, I made this last night and the butter separated on me and I couldn't stir it back in. It's still yummy (I ended up discarding most of the butter) but I'm wondering what I did wrong. It separated after I added cocoa and try to boil the mixture. I used liquid Splenda and Sweet&Low but it happened before I added them anyway. HELP! I'm willing to give it another shot. Do I need to have all my ingredients at room temperature before I start?

-K.
kglowack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 04:05 PM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
For anyone who needs to know, american cheese is a yellow cheese we use usually to make sandwiches with. It is a mild cheese, like a very, very mild cheddar, which I believe would probably work if you cannot find something like our american cheese. I hope this helps, and by the way, I live in New Jersey, USA and I don't have a Walmart anywhere near me with a grocery store attached, so don't feel left out if you don't have a Walmart in your country.

Beeb
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
I live in New Jersey too Although I don't have a Walmart with a Supermarket anywhere close, I did drive the hour and half to get to one in neighboring Pennsylvania. Definitely worth the trip.

And regarding the fudge. I think I've seen dried milk protein (casein) in health food stores. This might give you a cheesy texture without the cheesy taste.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:33 PM   #11
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Hello scott123! Could you please tell me where in PA you found the Walmart? I would love to go, if not too far. I live in Howell, Mommouth county. Thanks so much.

Beeb
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:44 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Beeb, I took a look at a map. The nearest Super Walmart to you is Allentown, PA, which is probably a 2 hour drive. I went to Stroudsburg, PA, which is 1 1/2 hours for me. I did quite a bit of research beforehand so I had a long list of things to get, making the drive very worthwhile.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 02:45 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laschance
WOE: LC or whatever works!!
Start Date: July 2 2013
cjack; I know this is an old post but I am wondering how the fudge turned out using the cream cheese and cocoa powder as you mentioned in your last post here. I am also from Canada and in search of a really great fudge recipe to sell with my sugar fudge. I get a lot of request for sugar free so I am trying out some of the different variations I have found in here... unfortunately I do not know what the American cheese is... AS I am also in Canada. We do have a lot of different cheese type slices that come precut and packaged .. but I do think they are processed, could they be the same??
Week 1 = -11 lb
week 2 = -5 lb = 16lb gone!
Week 3 =
Laschance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:37 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mahyde
Stats: 119/110/110
WOE: moderate carbs/Zone
Start Date: April 2001
I made this last night exactly like your first post. It melts in your hand though not like regular fudge. Looks like one of those recipes that have to be frozen. Its good though.
mahyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:52 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
If you have Kraft Singles in Canada... that's American cheese.

It's basically a processed cheese - but you don't want the imitation kind with the oil.
dizneegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:08 AM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Actually I think our kraft singles are cheadar here in Canada. They are orange in color, is not American cheese yellow or white?

Thanks
Bernie
Old 08-09-2004, 11:13 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Nope, our Kraft American cheese is a light orange.

Found this at ilovecheese.com:

American Cheese:
Because of its mild and delicate flavor, its semi-soft and smooth texture - and the fact it's usually found in convenient square slices - American is known as one of the all-time great sandwich cheeses. And who doesn't long for a grilled cheese sandwich just like mom made?
But it also has a place in our hearts as a good snack for kids of all ages - try American wrapped around an apple slice, with grapes, or with some crackers or pretzels. Or take advantage of American's gooey meltability, and add it to your favorite recipe.

Did You Know?
American cheese is actually a blend of Cheddar, Colby and other cheeses. It's heated twice in the cheese-making process, instead of once, due to the mixing of cheeses. American is one of the common cheeses that is pasteurized to help prevent spoilage.

Stats:
Light yellow or golden orange, usually pre-cut in square slices.
Mild and delicate taste.
Melts well.
dizneegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 12:07 PM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks dizneegirl,

That's very interesting. I'm really going to have to buy some American cheese the next time I'm in the states and see if it tastes different.

Bernie
Old 08-09-2004, 12:58 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

mahyde: Did you use the recipe using the American cheese ?
Old 08-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
American cheese is the kind you get on a cheeseburger at McDonald's or Burger King.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:37 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mahyde
Stats: 119/110/110
WOE: moderate carbs/Zone
Start Date: April 2001
Quote:
Originally posted by Laschance
mahyde: Did you use the recipe using the American cheese ?
Hi LindaSue

Yes I did, did a double check to make sure it was. It was a Walmart brand though. My dh loved it, but you could not cut it without it being in the freezer first. I was hoping to be able to sit it out for a while but it would be just toooo soft to handle. Messy hands to eat it also.

The only recipe I have is the Delicious Peanut Butter Fudge that can sit out without melting some. I need something to take to a party that will hold up without being refrigerated the whole time.

I am making that pound cake to try it out too.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:51 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I have another question regarding the natural peanut butter..

I would like to know if I am suppose to drain off all the oil on the top or mix it in... I don't usually buy this kind and find it is very liquidy, would this ruin the fudge or is this to be expected??? thanks
Sandi
Old 08-09-2004, 08:32 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tulcat
WOE: LC with Atkins as a guide
Start Date: 10/1/03
Quote:
Originally posted by Laschance
I have another question regarding the natural peanut butter..

I would like to know if I am suppose to drain off all the oil on the top or mix it in... I don't usually buy this kind and find it is very liquidy, would this ruin the fudge or is this to be expected??? thanks
Sandi
By all means you must mix the oil in! Separation is normal.

Natural PB does not have the additives that help prevent the oil from separating, nor preserve the PB at room temp after opening. Read your label as most brands require refrigeration after opening, which will help considerably stopping the future separation of the oil.

Once you go through your first jar of natural PB, you'll wonder why the others add sugar and transfats to such a great, simple product.

Last edited by Tulcat; 08-09-2004 at 08:34 PM..
Tulcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I agree with you on that.... I already like the taste better than the standard PB... However my concern is about the texture which is very runny after mixing it... I am just concerned that this will affect the outcome of the fudge... Sandi
Old 08-09-2004, 08:46 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tulcat
WOE: LC with Atkins as a guide
Start Date: 10/1/03
I would guess you are using a different brand than me. I use Maranatha, and it doesn't seem to be too runny once it is mixed.

Are you sure you stirred up the real hard stuff on the bottom?

If you think your recipe is going to be too runny, try cutting back a bit on the cream.
Tulcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:28 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I am using Kraft All Natural and there is no hard stuff at the bottom, believe me it is like a liquid all the way thru... I put it in the fridge to see if that would stabalize it a bit..
Old 08-10-2004, 07:43 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

For the Canadians... I made this with cream cheese and cocoa powder. It tastes like chocolate cheesecake. It's not unpleasant, but it tastes more like cheesecake than fudge.