Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sashadane
Stats: 176/173/150 - 5'10.5"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2004
Yogurt/Yocheese recipes

Since there has been so much interest in yogurt/yocheese lately, I figured I'd start a thread here. Post your home made yogurt how to's, yogurt recipe favorites, yocheese recipe favorites, etc.

So... how do YOU decorate your yogurt/yocheese?
sashadane is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2004, 07:29 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/145.4/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
My new favorite is Atkin's vanilla syrup and a few sprinkles of cocoa powder stirred into drained yogurt. It's yummy! I feel like I am eating cheesecake.

I also like adding pure cinnamon and a few drops of stevia.

This summer, I'm looking forward to dipping strawberries in sweetened yo-cheese, oh yum!! A berry parfait with yo-cheese would be so delicious!

Rachel
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:39 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maddysmama
Stats: size 24/size 16-18/size 10-12??
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: January 17, 2004
I have made my own yogurt using all half and half, it's very simple and for those of you who have no source of Total Greek yogurt it might be a good option.

Basically, I make this a quart at a time and use 2 pint jars to do it. I nuke the half and half until it is at 18-185 fahrenheit (about 5 minutes in my micro), then cool it to 110-115 fahrenheit at room temperature (it takes about an hour in a seventyish degree home with few drafts), then add 2 tbsp. of dannon plain full fat (though non fat and fat free work just as well), set jars on a heating pad set to low and cover with an upside down stock pot for 12-24 hours. The. Best. Yogurt. Evah. You could strain it, but it will be very thick even before straining.

I have also subbed a cup of heavy cream for one cup of half and half in the above recipe with good results. I have not used plastic containers, as I am concerned about chemical leaching with the heating aspect of it.

Yogurt gets more tart the longer it has time for the cultures to make lactose into lactic acid, so initially the yogurt will be vary mild tasting and will get more tart as it sits.

There's a great no heat no cool method of making yogurt in Dana Carpender's 500 Low Carb Recipes, but it uses powdered milk and I have health concerns about using that.

I hope this helps you guys.
maddysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:53 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
Since I'm the only one in my house that eats yogurt I usually get some from my daughter when she makes it at her house.

She uses a Crockpot and makes a big batch. She uses half and half to make her yogurt and processes it for 24 hours. Her husband has Crohn's disease and can't tolerate lactose at all. This way it is virtually lactose free. Which also makes it virtually carb free.

As soon as the yogurt is done processing she puts it to drip in the frig. for the better part of a day. The whey that comes out of the yogurt takes a lot of the tang out.

The resulting yogurt is very rich and creamy. She calls me and I go over with my Tupperware bowl that I've run through the dishwasher and she fills it up for me.

Here is how she does it.

She uses a dimmer switch(the kind that you put on a lamp). She plugged the Crockpot into the dimmer switch then filled the Crockpot with water and inserted a thermometer.

She then left the Crockpot overnight and when she got up the next morning if the temperature of the water was between 105 and 115 degrees, she marked the setting of the dimmer switch.

It took several tries before she found the right setting. Now all she ever uses is the Crockpot.

Pour your milk(she uses half and half) into a saucepan and place it over medium heat and bring it to 120 degrees. Try not to let it boil, but if it does that's ok.

Let the milk(half and half) cool to around 100 degrees and add your starter. Stir to make sure it is well mixed. Pour it into the Crockpot and set the Crockpot on low, then set the dimmer switch to it's pre-determined place and let it ferment for 12 hours(she does it for 24).

After the yogurt is through fermenting, she places a clean loose weave dish towel in a large colander and sits it down into a large bowl. She spoons the yogurt into the clean towel and covers it with plastic wrap and puts it in the frig to drip. She leaves it there to drip for at least 12 hours.

You have to make sure that all the equipment that you use is sterile. You don't want to introduce any foreign bacteria into your yogurt.
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 06:57 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Coconut Yogurt

I take dessicated coconut (unsweetened) and put some in a cup with a little coconut davinci's (ran out last week and used baja bob's pina colada mix and it was fantastic!). Let it reconstitute in the liquid. Then I add that and a little steva to my yocheese. It's delish!
Old 05-21-2004, 06:59 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lizinator
Stats: 145/119/122 5'4"
Start Date: Restart 3/4/04; Yogurt fast 5/4/04
RECIPE: GREEK STYLE YOGURT & STRAINED YOGURT

Here is a Greek style heavy fat yogurt recipe:

Homemade Yogurt

It takes a little store-bought yogurt to make a lot more--and once the production line is moving, you need never buy bland yogurt again. This recipe comes from the Middle East, where plain yogurt is a common ingredient in everyday cooking. Once you get used to making your own, you'll find that it can be a handy substitute for sour cream, heavy cream, and cream cheese.

2 quarts whole milk
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup half and half

Bring milk to a boil in a very clean pot (dirty or greasy utensils won't produce the desired results). Remove from heat and pour into a glass jar or pottery container; let stand until cool.
Dilute yogurt in 1 cup cool milk and the half and half. Gradually add this mixture to the remaining milk, stirring slowly and gently. Place container in a protected spot (it must not be moved or touched). Cover with a lid. Cover container with a large towel or blanket and allow it to sit at least overnight.
To obtain a thick yogurt, place 3 to 4 layers of paper towels over the top for a few hours to absorb the excess liquid. Store yogurt in the refrigerator.
Makes about 9 cups.

Draining for yogurt cheese:

Either use a yogurt cheese funnel or line a colander with cheesecloth, large coffee filter or layers of white paper towels. Set the colander over a large bowl. Spoon in the yogurt and put in the fridge. Cover and allow to drain for 2 to 10 hours, depending on the consistency desired. Discard the drained off whey. Store in fridge. Pour off any liquid that drains from the cheese before using. Can be used as a substitute for cream cheese, sour cream, or even mayo.

3/4/04: size 12 5/22/04: size 4-6
26 down, 0 MORE POUNDS TO GOAL!

Yogurt fat fast, 63 days, 19 lb. loss and holding.
Lizinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 06:59 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmc
WOE: Atkins- again
Start Date: Feb.2003
I'm doing a modified yogurt fast too. This morning I put a drop of bananna extract and about 2 drops of coconut extract mixed in a little caramel Davinci's (I'm out of all the other flavors so thats why I used caramel) It was so good! Kinda like a pina colada. Last night I made one with Atkins chocolate syrup,a touch of coco powder coconut extract and droped in a few almonds. Voila an Almond Joy! By the way I used Stoneyfield and drained it. I'm dying to try the Total Greek I've been reading about, but can't find it. Anyone here live in Greensboro NC and know where to get it?
Old 05-21-2004, 08:14 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Lizanator
Can I use yocheese to make cheesecake?
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:52 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Rosethorns-
Yes you can, my son-in-law has Crohn's disease and he can't tolerate lactose at all. So she makes big batches of yogurt and uses it for everything.

She thins in with water to make milk for cooking, she uses it as cream cheese to make cheesecake, she uses it to make ice cream, she uses it as sour cream, she mixes it with dry curd cottage cheese to make cottage cheese for salads.

You can use it for just about anything.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:16 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKimber
Stats: 16/8/10-12 - 5'5" - 41
WOE: Atkins/Gluten-free
Start Date: Dec 03
Betty ~ Thanks for the crockpot yogurt information. I am a cooking newby but I think I could possibly manage the crockpot version howver I have a question. I'm not understanding the purpose for the dimmer swich? Can you explain further... :blush:
MsKimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 04:19 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Kimmerz-
If you don't use the dimmer switch the Crockpot will get too hot and kill the yogurt bacteria culture. You use the dimmer switch to lower the temperature of the Crockpot.

You can't let the temperature get above 120° or it will kill the culture. The ideal temperature is 115°

It is best to use water to begin with to test the temperature, and it is best to set it and let it sit overnight so that you can be sure that it won't get too hot. It will probably take several tries at different settings on the dimmer switch before you get it right, and using water you won't waist any milk.

She uses a probe type thermometer with an alarm, to keep track of the water temperature. She sets the alarm for 118° and if the water gets any hotter than that the alarm will go off. You then use a lower setting on the dimmer switch. But you could use an instant read thermometer just as well and just check the temperature yourself fairly often.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:57 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: GoneLoCarb
Stats: 156/147/140 for now, 5'3"
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 7/6/03
For something savory...

instead of sweet I make this...

1 tbsp heavy cream, garlic powder & dill weed to taste, 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped up cukes with a little green/red/or yellow pepper, chopped

Looking forward to more savory ideas!
GoneLoCarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 08:29 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

BettyR
Thanks so much. I'm going to try and make a cheesecake with yocheese. Does your daughter have any recipes for the food she makes with yocheese?

This would be highly appreciated from alot of us who have never used yocheese.

A recipe for ice cream would be great!

Thanks Ess
Old 05-22-2004, 09:17 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

The recipes she uses have honey in them.

My son-in-law has Crohn's disease, and is on a "SCD safe" diet. This means that the food does't contain lactose, grain flour(of any kind, including soy), or any other food item which is not allowed in the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but they are allowed to have honey. This is a medical diet, not a weight loss diet.

I can ask my daughter for her recipe and you can convert it using artifical sweetners if you'd like.

But the one thing that is very vital to using yogurt for cheesecake it to drip the yogurt very well. My daughter drips the yogurt that she's going to use for cheesecake for at least 24 hours.

This might help, this is their website with some of the recipes that people who are on the diet have submitted.
http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/default.html

Last edited by BettyR; 05-22-2004 at 09:21 AM..
Old 05-22-2004, 10:04 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

This is great!!!!
Thanks Betty
Old 05-22-2004, 12:41 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Threeboysmom
Stats: 138/118/120
WOE: Atkins Maintenance for health reasons
Start Date: January 20, 2004
My favorite yo-cheese is made with DaVinci white chocolate syrup and 4-5 rasberries that I "smoosh" in - it gives the yo-cheese a nice pink color and adds some texture with the berries. It is SO good. I eat it for a rich dessert or an indulgent breakfast
Threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:31 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hannamom
Start Date: May 2003
I have been doing a modified yogurt fast all week, and loving it! I am down 3 pounds.

One of my favorite ways to eat yogurt is 1/2 cup yo-cheese, 1/4 cup pumpkin puree (ie. Libby's), DaVinci's and a lot of cinnamon. Pumpkin has a lot of vitamins in it, especially Vitamin A and C. The cinnamon supposedly boosts your metabolism.

HANNAMOM
Hannamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 06:36 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cdnjan
Stats: 199/153/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/24/03
Here are links to 2 threads that Sunrae has put together that have a ton of ideas.
They are definately worth a look...Thanks Sunrae
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...hreadid=154585
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...hreadid=158084
cdnjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 07:21 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharon M.
I think I have a new yogurt maker!! I like the amount that I can make in a crockpot!! For now I use Hood's low carb milk. And for now my yourt maker is a quart jar and a heating pad set on low-wrapped around the jar and then wrapped in a bath towell for 8 hours. Anyone who would like a quart at a time -this works extremely well. thanks for the crockpot idea!!
Sharon M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:57 AM   #20
Body By Johnsonville

Gallery: CandidCam
WOE: Food...not "food"
I haven't made this yet, but I think I have come up with a chocolate yogurt recipe perfect for use during a yogurt fast.

3C. Carb Countdown Chocolate beverage
7oz heavy cream
2oz starter yogurt

Amounts Per 8 fl oz (undrained):
Calories 264
Total Fat 23.52g
Saturated Fat 13.58g
Total Carbohydrate 4.12g
Protein 10.18g

I'm going to whip up a batch, tonite. Since I typically dilute my CC chocolate milk before drinking (too sweet), it should work perfect for the yogurt...I'll let y'all know how it turns out!

Kirsten
CandidCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 05:38 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Chocolate Yocheese Pudding

I took about 1/2 cup of yocheese, added 2 Tbsp of Walden Farms 0 carb chocolate sauce and a 1/2 packet of stevia. Then I took 2 Tbsp heavy cream, whipped it and folded it into the yogurt concoction. In a word: Chocolate Mousse Heaven!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:47 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Bump
Old 05-25-2004, 11:01 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Well...after a lot of consideration I decided that I will stick to buying yogurt! I am a novice in the kitchen and am terrified of trying some of these great recipes and ways of cooking yogurt. The dannon plain is only $1.98 a quart here so in the end it's not too expensive. I will keep track of this thread to see what is said and who knows maybe in a while (long-while) I will get up enough nerve to try to make some! Thanks to everyone who has posted here...it is a joy to read!
Old 05-25-2004, 12:41 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: misscelestia
Stats: 170/170/140
WOE: My very own LC
I thought making my own yogurt would be fun! So, I got this VHS from the library of the Frugal Gourmet demonstrating how to make yogurt - now I *must* try it!
misscelestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:49 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Get a Salton yogurt maker--it's dirt cheap, elegant in its simplicity, makes great yogurt in a 2 quart container and it's foolproof (well mostly LOL). You nuke your milk/cream, cool it off to 100-110, stick it inside the preheated yogurt maker, set the time it should be done on a reminder dial and POOF you've got yogurt. All this for around $12-13. The Donvier yogurt cheese strainer is great too, has a sealed top, you can dump the whey out from the bottom, put the yogurt inside, seal and store in the fridge. You can get it at the Yochee dot com site, if I recall it isn't very expensive either.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:30 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Oh wow! I checked out the salton yogurt maker it's only $14. I am pretty sure I could do that.....Thanks Lizinator! I already have a pretty neat "thingy" for straining yocheese. An old lettuce keeper that has a basket in a covered tupperware type container. I just line the basket with paper towels.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:46 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I bought some truly fresh, organic milk through a local organic market. It came from some "local" cows, old fashioned glass bottle with a wax stopper--anyway, I thought this would be the creme de la creme of yogurts. Brought it home, made the yogurt, chilled it, strained it and it went grossly sour in less than two days!!! I decided to stick with the ultrapasteurized organic milk after that, it's good for two weeks or more.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
why is my yogurt so WATERY?

great ideas, Yogurt Experts! Wish I had read this thread before I went out yesterday & bought the Salton (about $14) Love the crock pot idea...Anyway, my end result is a lumpy, liquidy mess! (it "cooked" for almost 10 hrs!) the recipe book that came with it said I should add powdered milk (didn't have any) and 1/2 cup plain starter yogurt to 32 oz. whole milk. Is powdered milk really necessary? I used a thermometer & added the starter when the cooled milk was about 105 F......it's draining now but doesn't look like it'll firm up enought eat (just a little thicker than buttermilk!) What did I do wrong? Any suggestions? CAN THIS BATCH BE SAVED????

Kay

Last edited by bigmomma; 05-25-2004 at 02:59 PM..
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:11 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

It has to be chilled for awhile to finish setting up. It's never ready to eat right after it incubates. If it doesn't gel up enough to suit you, add more starter. Straining it will also help a lot. I've also found yogurt has a "mind" of its own, some is just thicker than others. Add some cream to the mix too, it will make it even richer.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:58 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
Thanks, Liz! It thickened up just fine after draining & chilling (yes, I could use a little patience!) Looking forward to adding a splash of cream, liquid splenda, Lorann peach flavoring & a handful of crunchies or a little rehydrated coconut (hmmm, sounds like dinner to me!) I love yogurt and could eat it all day, every day...this is going to be fun!

Last edited by bigmomma; 05-25-2004 at 04:59 PM..
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote