Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbredhead
Stats: 185/147/145 old - restart Jan 2009 -198/182/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/1/02 restart 1/09
Whole Milk Powder?

I just received my copy of the new Splendid Low Carb Desserts and almost all the recipes use Whole or Skim Milk Powder.

Is this the same as the powdered milk we buy at the grocery store? Or, is this something I need to pick up at the health food store?

The book doesn't explain.
lowcarbredhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2004, 01:30 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannie
WOE: LC/allergies
Start Date: restarted Oct 4, 03
I have some whole milk powder that I did get from a health foods co-op. It's not like the powdered from the store in that it doesn't mix instantly. You have to stir it up in water and let it sit a while to dissolve. If the recipe uses it in with the dry ingredients and you can use the skim (higher carb I think) I'd use what ever you can get and the carb level you like. JMO
Deannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 04:22 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 265.5/254.0/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
I found the whole milk powder in SuperWalmart, in the Mexican food section.
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:59 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks guys!

Has anyone tried any of the recipes from Splendid Low Carb Desserts?
Old 05-18-2004, 06:04 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenita
Only tried one

I have made the Butter Tarts and thought they were very good! I'm not a crust eater, so will probably cut the crust ingredients in half next time, but hubby liked them just fine as they were. I don't think I have ever tried any of Jennifer's recipes that I did not like. We like some more than others, but they are all good. Do you have 'Splendid Low Carbing for Life'? If so, you have to try the Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy. I keep it on hand at all times!
Jenita
Jenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: lulu1125
Start Date: Started June 15 2003, REstarted Sept 5 2003
Oh Please Jenita! For those of us that don't have that cookbook - please post the recipe for the Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy! Thanks!
lulu1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 02:52 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

So sorry!

Lulu1125, I'm so sorry, but I can't post that recipe without Jennifer's permission....it's in her cookbook and those recipes are copyrighted. I would highly recommend her books, though. You can get them at Amazon or order from her personally at her 'sweety' site. I didn't mean to tease you with the recipe.
Jenita
Old 05-23-2004, 09:14 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CO Suzanne
Start Date: January 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by lowcarbredhead
Has anyone tried any of the recipes from Splendid Low Carb Desserts?
I made the Chocolate Sweetheart Cake last weekend, and it turned out great. I substituted xylitol for the maltitol and substituted ground sunflower seeds for the ground almonds in the low-carb bake mix (my husband is allergic to nuts). I used the Creme Fraiche recipe with a few sliced strawberries for the filling in the center between cake layers. I will definitely make this again. The only thing I would change next time is that I would use a different chocolate frosting recipe - the Condensed Milk Chocolate Frosting on p.71 turned out too runny and I didn't like the flavor as well as in some of her other chocolate frosting recipes. But aside from that, it was the best low carb chocolate cake I've made so far on this WOE.
CO Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 07:20 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks

Jazzy, thanks so much for mentioning that whole milk powder can be found in the Mexican section at Wal-Mart. I don't suppose I would have ever thought to look there....although I had looked just about everywhere else, including the health food store! I picked up a can tonight thanks to you.
Jenita
Old 05-25-2004, 04:39 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I just looked up powdered whole milk at the USDA and 1 cup has almost 50 carbs. The 1/3 cup that some of Jen's recipes call for would have about 16 carbs. The nonfat kind has about 62 carbs per cup and 20.5 per 1/3 cup.
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:31 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 265.5/254.0/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
Linda, the Nestle dry whole milk I got shows for 1/3 cup 12g carbs on the nutrition label, which would be 36 for 1 cup.
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:33 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Checked the can

I just checked the back of the can of whole milk--1/3 cup has 12 carbs, 0 fiber.
Jenita
Old 05-25-2004, 10:59 AM   #13

The question is - who do we believe? It's not a huge difference though for the 1/3 cup, but when you get up to 1 cup, it's a bit more significant.

Just out of curiosity, how many grams do they say that 1/3 cup weighs on either of your packages? The USDA site states 42.24 grams in 1/3 cup.

By the way, MasterCook gives the same count as the USDA site for whole milk powder.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:28 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Confusing

Linda, I am sitting here looking at my can of Nestle whole milk powder. It is really confusing....of course, it would help if I could read Spanish! LOL It says the serving size is 1/3 cup. Under that it says (30g/makes 1 cup). Now, does that mean that 1/3 cup of powder makes 1 cup and equals 30g? Or, does that mean that 1 cup is 30g? Hmmmm.
Jenita
Old 05-25-2004, 01:00 PM   #15

Jenita, I have a feeling that they're saying that 30 grams of the dry powder will make 1 cup liquid milk once you add water.

If they're saying that 1/3 cup equals 30 grams powder, I see why there's a difference between your container and the USDA site. The USDA says that 1/3 cup equals 42.24 grams of powder which gives a higher carb count. Rather than base the carb count on the 1/3 cup measurement, I'd base it on the weight in grams. Based on 100 grams having 38.42 carbs, 30 grams would have 11.5 carbs and 42.24 grams would have 16 carbs, so both the milk labels and the USDA site are pretty much the same by weight. They just don't agree on how much powder equals 1/3 cup in volume.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:13 PM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally posted by LindaSue
The question is - who do we believe? It's not a huge difference though for the 1/3 cup, but when you get up to 1 cup, it's a bit more significant.

Just out of curiosity, how many grams do they say that 1/3 cup weighs on either of your packages? The USDA site states 42.24 grams in 1/3 cup.

By the way, MasterCook gives the same count as the USDA site for whole milk powder.
not USDA!!

brands get their own products tested... USDA is generic and thats why i never like to rely on their numbers especially if they're based on really OLD products.... also i think mastercook just bases their figures ON USDA results as do a lot of the nutrition analysis tools online!
argo2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:43 AM   #17

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
You can also use skim milk powder for an equally good result, if you are unable to find the whole milk powder. And it is the one that's available off the shelf at your grocery store. Check the carb counts on the container if you are concerned about it. If it's not mentioned on their container, then check out their web site. I'm sure they'd be happy to provided you with the information you need. Do some comparison shopping before you make your purchase.

All of Jenn's recipes come in at 10 or fewer grams of carbs per serving, so I really wouldn't worry about the amount of carbs in the milk powder - I am sure she is very careful with her calculations. You could always contact her and ask her which brand she uses - there may be some differences in brands between Canada and the US, but they are usuall pretty close.

I checked NutritionData's site (I find it a bit more user friendly than the USDA site, and it uses all the USDA data), and what I came up with was 12 grams of carbs for Skim Milk Powder for 1/3 cup. At 36 grams a cup, that adds less than 4 grams a serving for 10 servings. I haven't seen many of her recipes that call for that much - one that does is a toffee confection which yields 98 pieces at 1.1 carb grams each.

I think that if we are allowing ourselves the luxury of a dessert now and then, one or two carbs per serving one way or the other shouldn't make that much difference, anyway. I'm not saying that counting carbs isn't important, but I think we have to be really aware that, at best, nutritional analysis in our home kitchens is not ever going to be 100% accurate. Sometimes we just have to trust the information we have, and do our best. I think the USDA must base their analysis on an overall rounding of different brands, since no two brands of anything seem to have the same carb counts.

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:27 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm looking forward to trying some of her Spendid desserts that use milk powder. Some of the recipes sound delicious.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:57 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
I just made the Frosted Fudge Brownies from Splendid Low-Carb Deserts and they are great, the best brownies I've made so far. The frosting is wonderfull, I'll be using it for more goodies. I love the Creme Fraiche that Jennifer uses, I used it to dip my strawberries in.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:54 AM   #20

I just received all four of Jen's cookbooks last week and look forward to trying some of her recipes.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:08 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Cake at last@

I finally tried that Chocolate Sweetheart Cake and it is the best cake we have had since starting low carb!! Very yummy. I froze one layer since we don't eat desserts very fast and I don't want to waste it. This cake actually rose and has the texture of cake.
Jen is a wonder cook!
Jenita
Old 06-11-2004, 01:54 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Oh my!

If you are a coconut lover (like me), you must try the Chewy Coconut Squares on page 89. They are absolutely luscious! The grandkids even asked for seconds.
Jenita