Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Flab Gordon
Stats: 230.0/201.0/189.0
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 19, 2004
How do you cook veggies on a barbecue grill?

I think this would be a GREAT and easy idea for cooking veggies. I know that you need to have a vegetable basket, and that the grill needs to be hot before you put the veggies on, but, does anybody have some ideas on how and which vegetables I can cook on the barbecue grill??

Michael
Flab Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2004, 01:19 PM   #2
foxy librarian

Gallery: stargirl21
I've never used anything fancy called a vegetable basket!
I take zucchini, eggplant, peppers and onion. Those are my favorites because they can be grilled right on the grill and hold up. I cut the zucchini and eggplant lengthwise...so I get long, thick slices. Onions, I cut thick circular slices. Peppers...red or green, I usually cut in half and deseed them. Then I let them marinate in lc italian dressing, or oil, vinegar and some spices. Put them on the grill and cook until tender....these are sooooo good cold the next day. mmm enjoy!

~alie~
stargirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:56 PM   #3
princess peskironi WIT

Gallery: Peskie
Stats: eek!
WOE: whatever it takes to be a good, energetic mommy!!
Start Date: 11/12/03 goal 7/11/05, crash, burn, restart again!
We use kabob skewers and make veggie kabobs with mushrooms, onions, green pepper and tomato. YUM!

We've never used a veggie basket.

The zucchini and squash cooks well on the grill too.
(Use to do potatoes and corn in the old days)

Most of the time we marinate this in Italian dressing and salt and pepper.

Last edited by Peskie; 05-01-2004 at 01:57 PM..
Peskie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:44 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
I like to expose as much of the surface of a veggie to the grill as possible. I rub them with olive oil, and baste on more as needed to keep them from drying out.

When you do onions, stick toothpicks from the outside to the centre, like bicycle spokes. This will stop them from falling apart on the grill.

If you use wooden skewers, make sure to soak them for at least 1/2 hour before using them. That will prevent them from catching fire. You can do asparagus on the BBQ - lay three or four parallel to each other, then run 3 skewers through them, separate them so that you have a step ladder kind of thing going on. Works great with other veggies, too! Makes it a whole lot easier to turn them over, and they get more uniformly cooked.

I cut peppers in wide strips, and do whole mushrooms. You have to be careful to not push them into the coals when you are turning them, and since they do shrink alot with cooking, your pieces should be bigger than you would initially think. I also like to thread mushrooms on a skewer (well actually 2 skewers) - it makes them easier to turn.

Also, when skewering veggies and meat, I always try to make sure the meat is uniform in size, and the same for the veggies. I never do veggies and meat on the same skewer, because the veggies take longer to cook then the meat. Also, some veggies take longer to cook than others, so I usually thread skewers with the same veggies, then if people want a mixed kabob, they can be put together using the cooked veggies and meat.

HTH

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:53 PM   #5
Wendy's Puppet

Gallery: theprettyredhead
WOE: Reinducted 6-17
I have made foil "packets" and cooked veggies in them on the grill. I have also thrown my chicken in with the veggies and it all comes out steaming hot and yummy.
theprettyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 06:52 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: YvonneM
Stats: 155/131/130
WOE: Moderate Carbs/Curves Exercise
Start Date: 5/17/03
Rather than a basket, we have a grill with holes that sits on top of the barbque grill. We toss the veggies with olive oil, S&P and grill them Before this neat grill we had trouble, especially with onions, falling through the grill. I think our grill thing is made by Charcol Companion and is about $10.00.
YvonneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:41 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sinderstorm
Stats: all time high
I skewer things like mushrooms that have a tenency to roll through my grill grates. For zucchini, sqaush, peppers, etc, I just have an old cooling rack that I set on top of my grill rack for a smaller grate- this works fine, I haven't lost anything yet!

sinderstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:47 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: saprswife
Stats: 178/128/130
Start Date: 1/16/03
Grilled lettuce!!

One veggie you can place directly on the grill is lettuce! Someone (I can't remember who, sorry!) posted a grilled Romaine lettuce recipe not too long ago...it is to die for!!! It sounds strange, but it is soooo very good!

Simply cut your head of Romaine lettuce in half, brush with olive oil, and place (cut side down) onto your grill. Allow it to grill until the leaves are slightly wilted.

This gives the lettuce a wonderful, unique flavor. Then just chop it up and top with salad dressing.

Malinda
saprswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 04:01 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bbqcati
I take a foil pan and throw in some vegetables (frozen or fresh). Add some seasoning salt and oil. Place the pan on the grill along with the meats you are cooking and cover the grill. The smoke from meats cooking on the grill should indirectly flavor the vegetables.
bbqcati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:38 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tall_Texan
Stats: 185/160 (now 172-oops)/150
WOE: All Natural - lower carb
Start Date: 6/01/03
Quote:
When you do onions, stick toothpicks from the outside to the centre, like bicycle spokes. This will stop them from falling apart on the grill.
Auntie -what a wonderful idea. My DH loves grilled onion slices and I hate trying to turn them and keep them from sliding apart. I will definitely try this next time.

Flab- I cut my zucchini lengthwise and score the flesh in a criss cross pattern, rub with olive oil and cook straight on the grill. Sometimes I will make grilled veggie kebabs, but if I'm really in a hurry, I have one of those grilling baskets and I just toss marinated veggies in there and stir them a couple of times.
Tall_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:39 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Flab Gordon
Stats: 230.0/201.0/189.0
Start Date: April 19, 2004
I'll be cooking my veggies and some good fresh Alabama gulf fish tomorrow - thanks for the help!!
Flab Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote