Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2004, 11:47 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ChaChaYaYa
Stats: 218,218,150
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: January 2004 restart Jan 2009
Pecan vs almond flour

I see so many recipes calling for almond flour but when I looked up carb count I noticed pecans are lower then almonds. Is there a difference in the result when used in baking? I was thinking the pecans may have more oil in them causing them to be a no go for baking. Thought I could get some feed back before wasting my pecan "flour".
ChaChaYaYa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2004, 05:11 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceysaunders
ChaCha
Probably not the best person to try to answer your question, but I have seen many recipes using the pecan flour, mac flour, almond flour, and hazelnut flour. Don't see why these could not be interchanged! I recently saw a recipe using pumpkin seed flour in place of almond or nut flours. Interesting, huh?
I am sure one of the great cooks on this board will help you out here, just thought I would interject my little piece of info!
Lacey
laceysaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 05:23 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: etoiles
Stats: 283/178/150
WOE: Atkins - Vegetarian
Start Date: March 2003
Hi Chacha!

I have used pecan flour (as well as hazelnut, walnut, sunflower seed, and peanut) in baking for various recipes and it has turned out fantastic. I really don't see any difference between them except for a slight taste difference.

Almonds make me sick feeling so I actually never use them anymore, and just use the other nuts just fine.

My hubby and I just bought some brazil nuts that are for baking so I am interested to see how brazil nut flour works!
etoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:20 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
I pretty much use just almond flour but I have used ground walnuts and found them too bitter when used as a flour sub. I suppose it's all a matter of taste so use whatever you prefer.

JL
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 03:50 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Robinrs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2004
I just found out about the lower count of pecans and here in Georgia they're MUCH cheaper than almonds! I just used some for the crust of a Beachgirl Cheesecake and it was awesome!
Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:52 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
I love using different nut flours in baking. I find that the almonds have the most neutral flavor, which makes them suitable for the widest variety of dishes. However, having said that, pecans are wonderful for cheesecake crusts, and are awesome with pumpkin. I think that filberts (or hazelnuts), walnuts (which can be quite bitter) and brazil nuts all have quite unique and sometimes bitter qualities which make them suitable for only a limited number of tastes. Filberts are awesome in tortes, and are great with pork! Walnuts need tart and sweet to countertact their bitterness. Brazil nuts are excellent with spicey foods. Macadamia nuts are delicious, but tend to be on the oily side.

It's important to remember when substituting nuts, that their oil contents are quite different - so the results could vary quite widely, depending on the recipe. And it always comes down to personal taste.

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: biolucas68
Brazil nuts can be dangerous

I have never used brazil nuts for making crusts and what not, but I don't think it is a good idea because brazil nuts have extremely high levels of selenium in them. Its good for you if you eat a few nuts occasionally. 1 ounce can have enough selenium in it to give you selenium poisoning, so only eat a few nuts every now and then. In low amounts selenium is good for you, but just be careful.
biolucas68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
I have pecan meal that I grind into a flour when using. It is an oilier nut than almond and tends to stick together when grinding, however I've found it to be a fine substitute for almond flour. I've never had anything turn out badly that I've used it in and I don't adjust the oil content of the baked product. I just used it for a carrot cake this past week and it was yummy. It does make the baked product darker than almond flour but doesn't affect the flavor that much, if at all. I'd say use your pecan flour in baking and enjoy it.
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote