Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2004, 07:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: USexpat
WOE: Nourishing Traditions
Meal Replacement Shakes

Does anyone have a recipe for a lo-carb meal replacement shake? I saw one in a cookbook while I was in the States a couple of weeks ago, but of course I didn't buy it at the time. I do a lot of travelling, and a shake like this would really help me out.
USexpat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2004, 09:28 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Can you get protein powder? There are some easy-to-use protein shake mixes on the market that are pretty OK, especially if doctored up a little with some cream and berries, a little Splenda or sugar-free syrup, even decaf coffee. I don't know if Designer Whey or EAS or anything like them are available there... or maybe other whey, soy, or even egg protein powders... they're a great building block for protein shakes (and baking).

Barring that - how about one of these:

-----

Protein Shake from the Protein Power Book

1/2 cup raspberries, sliced strawberries or peaches, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup plain yogurt
Crystal Light, Sugar Free Tang, or other sugar free drink, pre-mixed (not the powder) to taste, enough to cover all the other ingredients in the blender jar.

Mix in the blender. You can add ice if using fresh fruit.

-----

ELLIE'S BREAKFAST CREATION

Blend well:
1 cup fresh strawberries
1 cup cottage cheese
1 1/2 tbsp Splenda -- 2 pkt
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup water

After it has mixed well, add 1/2 to 3/4 cups of Club soda to your taste. Also you can add protein powder if you choose. Yummy and easy to take "with" you !!

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 135 Calories; 9g Fat (57.6% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 31mg Cholesterol; 242mg Sodium.

-----

SHAKES MADE WITH JUST WHITES

There is NO need to buy expensive shake mixes. All they are is dolled up protein powder, and it's the "dolling up" that adds the carbs.

Just Whites powdered egg whites is pure protein, carb free, and fat-free because it is 100% protein. It also has NO taste, is cheap, is in most grocery stores next to the cocoa and baking stuff, and it is a good solution for those who can't have dairy(whey) or soy.

Besides making shakes, it is also good for baking and for dusting chicken and other meats for frying.

To make a shake you need about 8 oz of liquid to 1/4 cup of Just Whites.

Everything else is for flavoring and texture. Some of us need some fat to get going, so the cream or cream cheese will help with that component if you need it.

Liquids: water + Davinci syrup or extracts diet soda in your favorite flavor

Sweetener (use if you don't use diet soda or a syrup): 1 pkt favorite sweetener (1 carb per packet), I use 2 Splenda tabs instead If you add cocoa or coffee crystals it will take a lot more sweetener.

Thickeners: 2 Tbsp heavy cream ( .8 carbs) 1 oz cream cheese (mixes up well in blender only, 1 carb) 1/4 cup SF vanilla yogurt (3.5 carbs Krogers, brands vary) crushed ice psyllium seed husks (don't count because it is all fiber)

The Just Whites will foam up really nice with a diet soda and a little cream. (The non-dairy people will have to go with ice or psyllium).

I particularly like the yogurt because it adds an ice cream flavor to the whole thing. Also the flavored carbonated waters at Wal-Mart are good for variations in flavors as you get bored with things. Tropical fruit, peach melba, blackberry apple, and other interesting ones keep it varied.

My most favorite 2 recipes so far are these:

1 12-oz can Canfield's Diet Cherry Chocolate Fudge soda (has aspartame)
1/4 cup Just Whites
2 Tbsp cream (.8 carbs)
1/4 cup SF vanilla yogurt (3.5 carbs)

8 oz Diet Rite Tangerine soda (Splenda, no aspartame)
1/4 cup Just Whites
2 Tbsp cream (.8 carbs)
1/4 cup SF vanilla yogurt (3.5 carbs)

Carol Childress "Always cooking ahead"

-----

Jamie’s Protein Shake Base with Variations

(about 28g protein, 5g carb)

1/2 cup cottage cheese (rinsed in a strainer, if it has a sour taste)
1/2 cup pasteurized egg whites (Second Nature Eggs, has no onion or garlic like Egg Beaters do)

For each variation, add the following ingredients and whirr in blender

Variation 1 - Peach Melba

4 oz. (by weight) frozen sliced unsweetened peaches (about 6g carb)
Dash of DaVinci SF raspberry syrup
2 or 3 packets sweetener
1 cup water
Dash of cream optional

Variation 2 - Berry Shake

1/3 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries or 4 oz frozen unsweetened strawberries (about 6g carb)
2 or 3 packets sweetener
Dash of vanilla extract (about 1/2 tsp)
1 cup water
Dash of cream optional

Variation 3 - Chocolate Shake

1 tsp. chocolate extract, or 1 heaping tsp. cocoa
2 or 3 packets sweetener
Dash of vanilla extract (about 1/2 tsp.)
Dash of cream (few Tbsp.)
1/2 cup water
6 ice cubes

-----
Old 03-20-2004, 02:11 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: USexpat
WOE: Nourishing Traditions
dizneegirl: Wow--some great ideas, and I can't wait to try them out. Yes, we can get protein powder, it's not widely available, but GNC carries it, and if we need to, we can track it down on the net. I'm going to look for something like the Just Whites, though I've never seen that brand name here. I think I'll try to adapt with real egg whites, as well. We can get DaVinci, but only on the net. Sugar-free drinks are also not available, if you can believe it, though I did come back from the States with loads of Tang and Kool-Aid.

Thanks so much--I'm excited to get to the supermarket now!
USexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
These are good for everybody and my sister asked me to bump this.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote