Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 07:16 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee140
Stats: 16+/10/8
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/26/04
Help! Is it the right whey protein?

I've been feeling a primordial urge to do some baking. I thumbed through Dana Carpender's book and decided to make her peanut butter brownies. The recipe called for vanilla whey protein powder. I went to GNC and bought a giant container of "Perfect ZERO CARB Isopure". It's vanilla flavored and says "with 50 grams of 100% ion exchange whey protein isolate" and says it's 100% pure ion exchange Whey Protein Isolate. The first ingredient is Ion exchange Whey Protein Isolate. I made the brownies with it, and although I think I overbaked them, they were absolutely inedible. The texture was bizarre. Both the chocolate layer and peanut butter layer were like a very porous sponge. So now I'm wondering if I'm using the right thing. Is this what she meant by vanilla whey protein? Also, is this what recipes refer to when they say "WPI"? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Lee140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2004, 01:11 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Unfortunately, whey protein does tend to make things a bit on the dry and crumbly side. Sorry your result was not edible!! I have not tried this recipe so I can't attest to what the texture should be like, though. Maybe others have tried it and can be of more help there.

I think the product you got should be okay - although the Whey Protein Powder I use is a "blend of pure concentrated and isolated, micro ultra-filtered whey proteins with papain, bromelain and lipase enzymes", along with vanilla flavour, guar gum, and sucralose. I purchased mine at Costco. It is possible that your pure isolate may be "too" pure, or something, but I'm not sure what!! LOL Sorry I can't be more helpful.

The WPI that is referred to on these boards is Wheat Protein Isolate - an entirely different product. I have never tried it.

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 04:06 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your help! I suspect you're right, it probably is "too pure". The recipe description said "fudgy brownie top and chewy peanut butter bottom". Both layers used the protein, and they both came out exactly the same- like a rubbery sponge. It's too wierd to even describe accurately! I managed to satisfy my baking urge though, I made Bruce's Peanut Butter Chocolate bars, and OH MY, I think I'm going to do myself a mischief with those things if I don't freeze what's left!!
Old 03-19-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kdog41
Stats: 197/156.6/160
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 01/12/2003
I use Designer Whey French Vanilla protein powder for any recipes that call for whey protein and haven't experienced any problems with texture.
kdog41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Cin3dee-
I'm going to try the Designer Vanilla Whey protein powder. I did buy some stuff they sell at Kroger, but it was pricey and had a really overpowering vanilla flavor. When my order comes in and I use it, I'll let you know how it turns out. Also, I've never seen the Stevia/FOS blend either in stores or online. Maybe it goes by another name?
Lee
Old 03-24-2004, 05:14 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pam in FL
Stats: 180/170/150
Start Date: January 2004
Where do you get the popular Wheat Protein Isolate???? Is there an online source?

Thanks!
Pam in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:13 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

WPI Source

Pam- If you go to Linda Sue's website, she has a link (in the links section) to Trish Z's website. Trish sells WPI (wheat protein isolate). I just ordered some last night. It's completely different from Whey Protein Isolate, but is supposed to be so great for baking as a flour substitute.
Lee
Old 03-24-2004, 08:28 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jwardell
WOE: Atkins and the 'Firm'
Start Date: Sept. 2003/Firm March 2004
Lee, I found you!!!!!

I have used in the past "Designer Whey" protein powder from Trader Joe's, and the other one I have used (by Solgar) Whey to Go, I got at a whole foods store. The latter is kinda pricey.

Jen
jwardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:25 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Hey Jen! Funny meeting you here! Do you like the Designer Whey? I ordered the french vanilla, because they didn't have a plain vanilla.
Lee
Old 03-24-2004, 03:09 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pam in FL
Stats: 180/170/150
Start Date: January 2004
Thanks Lee140! I'm going to order some right now!
Pam in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:31 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jwardell
WOE: Atkins and the 'Firm'
Start Date: Sept. 2003/Firm March 2004
Yes, I have the Designer Whey french vanilla!!!

So far it has worked out fine in everything where I used the other more expensive brand. I did notice, though, that the Whey to Go seemed a little sweeter, but it was definitely sweetner taste. Do you know what I mean? Next I am going to try the whey protein from the place I order vities. When purchasing a whey protein powder make sure you check the carbs. Some are sweetened with sugar. (I think Trader Joe's brand is--at least it has about 12 x the carbs in other brands.)

Jen
jwardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:50 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
When purchasing a whey protein powder make sure you check the carbs. Some are sweetened with sugar. (I think Trader Joe's brand is--at least it has about 12 x the carbs in other brands.)
Jen- Funny you should say that! I have a canister of Trader Joe brand Vanilla Whey Protein Powder in the "high carb" section of my pantry right now. I bought it and didn't check the carbs until I got home (rookie mistake!). Boy was I shocked! I'm keeping it along with my other high carb leftovers until I can pawn them off on my carb eating friends!
Lee
Old 03-25-2004, 07:04 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kcduffer
Stats: 168/152/135
Start Date: Sept. 2002
What is Stevia Fos

I think the stevia fos that she's talking about is made by Wisdom Herbs. They have a website (doesn't everyone!). It is called Stevia Plus. Fos stands for Frutafit Inulin Fiber. The product combines this with stevia. When I bake, I use this in combination with splenda to boost the sweetness with only half the spenda and half the carbs.
kcduffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 06:23 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kdog41
Stats: 197/156.6/160
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 01/12/2003
Just an FYI, the Designer Whey is 2 carbs per level scoop (approx 24 grams). If I remember correctly the scoop equates to about 1/3 cup.

Also, I found Netrition to be about $10 cheaper than my local health food store for the PP.

http://www.netrition.com/designer_page.html

Last edited by kdog41; 03-26-2004 at 06:25 AM..
kdog41 is offline   Reply With Quote