Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2004, 08:34 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TerriP
Stats: 180/159.3/140
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: Jan 1, 08
Cornish Game Hen

I would like to prepare a special dinner for our anniversary in a couple weeks. I was thinking of making cornish game hen. Does anyone know if I could make them without stuffing? Dh doesn't like stuffing and, while I do, I obviously can't have it. Will the hens get dry without it? I could always just make the stuffing, use it for baking, and then throw it away (yeah right, like I wouldn't take a bite!), but that seems very wasteful.

Any ideas??? I'm not a very good cook...so talk slloooowww!!
TerriP is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2004, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannie
WOE: LC/allergies
Start Date: restarted Oct 4, 03
Yes, you can cook them without stuffing. I love them just roasted like you would a larger chicken. They just take a little less time to cook because they are so small. I like them plain. I bet others will respond with their favorite ways to cook them too.

I rinse them and put them in a baking pan and I do cover them so they don't dry out to much. You can salt and pepper if you like or any other spices. Put them in a 350 degree oven and bake for about 40 minutes to one hour. To tell if they are done I look for the flesh to pull back from the end of the drumstick and if they have a nice brown color on the skin.

HTH
Deannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helper
A possibility

I make one every now and then. I usually make a small amt of stuffing using lo-carb bread, etc. I use kitchen scissors and cut it along the breast bone so it will lay out flat, still in one piece. I bake it laying ON the stuffing. You could prob use the same method using some kind of veggies for the stuffing part. I cover with foil and bake for 1 hour to 1&1/4 hours. When juices run clear after sticking with fork, they are done. Remove foil last 15-20 mins. to brown.. I bake at 350.
HTH, helper

Did I talk slow enough?lol
helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tall_Texan
Stats: 185/160 (now 172-oops)/150
WOE: All Natural - lower carb
Start Date: 6/01/03
I've cooked them plenty and I've never stuffed one! I love them on the grill - I place them in one of those grill baskets and hold them together with a bbq skewer. If you want to bake them in the oven, try putting some onion and celery in the center for flavor and sprinkling the outside with a spicy or flavorful seasoning.
Tall_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:27 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsPolly
Stats: 184/158/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/15/03
I cut mine down each side of the backbone and discard the backbone. Open up and lay out flat. Season with favorite seasoning, something like Emeril's or Cavender's Greek seasoning. Brush with oil and grill or roast. Cooks faster this way.

Polly
MrsPolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:03 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaulaP
I season mine with either lemon pepper or Greek seasoning and roast them just like a regular chicken. Sometimes I put a piece of onion and a garlic clove in the cavity for extra flavor. They are never dry.
PaulaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 03:16 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bruce
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1 June 1999
You don't need stuffing. But to make them juicier, brine them first. Submerge them in a mixture of a quart of water and 1/2 cup salt for 15 minutes per pound. Rinse and prepare according to your recipe.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote