Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2004, 09:12 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Low carb crepes

I've had a busy morning. First I made the radish home fries and I just finished up making a batch of Low Carb Crepes. These came out really great. They are based on Sherrie's tortilla wrap recipe with a few tweaks. I skipped using the microwave because of the problems I had before and used a nonstick frying pan with excellent results. Here's the recipe:

LOW CARB CREPES
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
3 teaspoons Splenda
1/2 cup MiniCarb bake mix
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder *
1/4 teaspoon onion powder *
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup water

In medium bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs and beat until smooth. Add Splenda, bake mix and seasonings. Beat until smooth. Add cream and water; blend well. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat (if your stove is on the hot side, set it a bit lower). Pour 1/4 cup batter into center of pan and immediately lift and rotate pan quickly to swirl batter into a 6-7 inch circle. Cook until underside is well set and lightly browned. Very gently pry up the edges with a pancake turner that has been sprayed with cooking spray, then very gently, but quickly, flip the crepe over. Make sure the pancake turner is under the center of the crepe before flipping to prevent breakage. Cook until second side is lightly browned. Remove to plate and cool. Put a piece of wax paper between each crepe and store in plastic bag in refrigerator until ready to use.

Makes 12 crepes (1 net carb each)

TIP: I found it helpful to lightly spray the pan between making each crepe and spraying the pancake turner helps keep the crepe from sticking to it and breaking.

* Omit seasonings for dessert crepes

These are very good and can be used as crepes or flour tortillas in recipes. Once I got the hang of flipping them without them cracking, they were quite easy to make. It is important to make sure the first side is well set before attempting to flip the crepe. I haven't tried freezing them yet, but will post back my results later when I try it.

You could use other kinds of bake mix, such as Atkins brand, but the carbs will be a bit higher. Although these are low enough in carbs to possibly be eaten on induction, I didn't mark them suitable due to bake mix not being on the allowable list.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheryl5
Wow! That looks great! I must admit, my heart skips a beat when I see your name as the starter of a post, LindaSue. Your recipes are always delicious. I admit that I haven't yet tried Sherrielee's tortilla recipe, but it's on my to-do list, too. She is another tried and true recipe author. There are SO many tremendous cooks on this board! I know I speak for everyone when I say "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"
Sheryl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack
These look very good. What are some suggestions for the fillings?
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 12:26 PM   #4

cjack, I've got lots of ideas floating around in my head, but I wanted to be sure that I could make the crepes first. I am trying an enchilada recipe tonight. Here's the recipe, but I haven't made it before. It sounds good though.

CREAMY SPINACH ENCHILADAS
10 ounce can green enchilada sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons butter
6 green onions, chopped and divided
5 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
1/2 cup ricotta
1/4 cup sour cream
8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded, divided
6 Low Carb Crepes

Spread 2 tablespoons enchilada sauce over bottom of greased 11 3/4" x 7 1/2" baking dish. SautÚ 3 green onions in butter briefly. Add spinach; cook 1 minute until hot. Remove from heat. Stir in ricotta, sour cream and 1/2 the cheese. Fill each crepe with 1/6 of the filling; roll up and place seam-side down in pan. Pour the rest of the sauce over the top and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Bake at 375║ 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle remaining green onions over the top.

Makes 6 servings (6 net carb each)

Note: canned enchilada sauce does have some starch and sugar in it, so it's not suitable for induction.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:58 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
Thanks, LindaSue.

I'm going to try these this afternoon. I cooked one of the Michael Angelo's pepperoni and cheese wraps for lunch but I just can't bring myself to waste 9 carbs at one time. I ate half of it thinking there's got to be a way to do this lower carb. I think these crepes will work great with different fillings - even to fill and freeze. Homemade LC Hot Pockets!!!

Beverly
froggyx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:56 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: woodswoman
Stats: 157/120/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/21/03
LindaSue - you're a genius. I've been dying for crepes! I can already picture them with strawberries inside and whipped cream on top for my Easter breakfast.

I wonder how they'd be with pizza toppings? I cut up LaTortillas and make those little Triscuit pizzas out of them and they're pretty good!

Thanks for sharing once again.
woodswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:50 PM   #7

woodswoman, I'm not sure about making pizzas with them. They are just like real crepes, sort of floppy and slightly rubbery, not at all like flour tortillas.

They worked great for my enchiladas, which I am eating right now. I tweaked the recipe that I posted above, but you'll be able to find the final version and a photo on my website later tonight. I can't wait to try all kinds of savory and sweet crepe recipes with these and other kinds of enchiladas.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:54 PM   #8

I just thought of another yummy thing to make with crepes. Cannelloni. Fill them with a ricotta mixture, roll them up, top with tomato sauce and some mozzarella and bake them.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:02 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smellykitty
Stats: 175/143.5/115
Start Date: 1/20/2004
OH OH OH.....What's the thing with cream cheese....oh yeah blintzes!!!
smellykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:08 PM   #10

I think I may have created a monster! If anyone tries using these in a recipe, please post it here.

I do have one comment about the recipe I made tonight. I think I will leave out the Splenda in crepes that will be used for savory dishes. I could detect that little bit of sweetness and, while not bad, it did seem a bit out of place in my enchiladas.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:37 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamax6
Stats: 192/
WOE: LC no gluten
Start Date: Jan. 02, re-restart: April, '13
Quote:
Originally posted by woodswoman
LindaSue - you're a genius. I've been dying for crepes!
ME TOO! Last week I was scouring the boards looking for a decent dessert crepe recipe. Maybe I've found it. I'm giving it a try tonight!
mamax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:50 PM   #12

Here's the final version of the enchilada recipe I made tonight:

CREAMY SPINACH ENCHILADAS
10 Low Carb Crepes
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
6 green onions, chopped, divided
1 cup ricotta
1/2 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded, divided
10 ounce can green enchilada sauce

In medium bowl, mix spinach, 3 green onions, ricotta and sour cream. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in half the Monterey jack; blend well. Divide filling mixture among the crepes. Spread slightly down center of each one, then roll up. Place seam-side down in greased 9x13" baking dish. Pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the top and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Bake at 375║ 20 minutes, or until hot, bubbly and slightly browned. Sprinkle remaining green onions over the top.

Makes 10 servings (5 net carbs each)

These are good. They look fancy, but are really quite easy to make.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:12 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
LindaSue, you posted the crepe recipe just in time you must have read my mind . I got a crepe pan from my kids for my birthday a couple of days ago and I too have been looking for a recipe. Can't wait to try out the crepes and the creamy spinach enchiladas.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:39 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Thanks LindaSue.

I've been wanting to try and make crepes and just bought a cookbook with nothing but crepe recipes in it. As soon as my crepe pan comes in I'm giving it a go.

Thanks again.

Pam
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:43 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamax6
Stats: 192/
WOE: LC no gluten
Start Date: Jan. 02, re-restart: April, '13
I just made a bunch of these. I altered the recipe slightly to make them sweet. Here's what I did:

8 oz cream cheese
3 eggs
1/2 C Almond bake mix
1/2 teas. baking powder
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 Davinci syrup (I used Chocolate)
1/4 Water
1/2 tsp. stevia - I know its a lot. It's because I accidently bought stevia with fillers so its not a sweet as pure stevia.

Mine came out delicious and were eaten without anything else. Mine were also more bubbly than yours, Linda Sue. They almost look lacy. I used my small, hot cast iron skillet. I also noticed that they tear easily. Not a problem for this recipe, but if I want to make the enchillada's it might be troublesome. Do you think that using pure Vital Wheat Gluten (or 1/2 and 1/2) would help bind the mixture better?

mamax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:54 PM   #16

mamax6, I suspect your problems might be due to using almond bake mix. That's not as smooth as MiniCarb or Atkins bake mix. I adjusted the recipe after making the first crepe with Sherrie's original amount of liquid and it too was full of holes (I had to eat it as it wasn't usable for anything - tough job, I know). I had to add enough water to make it very thin so it would spread smoothly. I think that almond meal might be too coarse for this recipe. Chocolate crepes sound pretty interesting though.

About the tearing. Mine were pretty fragile too. I had to figure out just the right way to slide the spatula under it to flip it. It was a sort of quick slide and flip motion after first running the greased spatula around the edges to make sure they were loose. I used a very thin, large plastic spatula. If you hold it in the air on the spatula too long, gravity will cause it to split. That was really only true of flipping it over the first time though. I had no trouble removing mine from the pan once the second side had cooked. After my first 2 duds, I only had one other one that cracked and I was able to use it anyway in my recipe. By the time it was covered with sauce and cheese, no one would ever know.

Last edited by LindaSue; 03-12-2004 at 01:00 PM..
Old 03-13-2004, 11:39 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bostongal
Stats: 275/173/160
WOE: low residue but helping DH do Atkins
Start Date: 07/29/02
Can anybody say "Chicken Divan"? One of my all time favorite dishes and now possible. Thanks for the crepe recipe!

Meg
bostongal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:57 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crink
These are great! I made the spinach enchiladas twice and use the crepes regularally for dessert....

Mix some cream cheese with some whipping cream and french vanilla Torani syrup....whip until thick

Spread a thin layer on the crepes

Add some lc ice cream and some fresh strawberries.

Roll up

Garnish with a dallop of whipped cream! Yum and amazing.... serve these to company often and they are always thrilled!
Crink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:53 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Does anyone know how to make cheese blintzes?... I love those and eat them when I go to NYC, but I've never seen them here in rural Appalachia.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:07 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patt3
Stats: 173/153/150
WOE: /low carb
I have never had any luck making crepes. They always fall apart and I cannot flip them. But I am going to try this one last time. They sound so good!
Patt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:40 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Patt... I read my Betty Crocker cookbook about cooking crepes because I was concerned about flipping them and the instructions in it didn't require you to flip them. It just said to spread it thinly in a nonstick skillet and wait for the top to "set", then just flip it out onto a plate. I'm going to try it that way. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try a two skillet approach where I just dump it into a second skillet and finish off the top.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:56 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Bump
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherJanet
Stats: 150/137/120
Start Date: January 2003
I made these crepes today for enchiladas, but I baked them on two pizza pans lined with greased parchment paper. I was able to fit two oblong crepes per pizza pan. I set the oven to 400░ and watched them carefully, they only took about 5 minutes to brown. If you have had trouble in the past with frying and flipping these, you may want to try the baking method. It's worth it, the Creamy Spinach Enchiladas are so good.
HeatherJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:15 PM   #24
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Thank you for the recipe Linda Sue. I've just gotten one of those crepe maker things and have been wanting a lc crepe recipe. Now, I have no excuse not to get into that kitchen and get to cooking.

Those enchiladas look soooo scrumptious too!!

I have made enchiladas with the wraps before and I took some cream cheese, minced onion and chopped green chilies and made that for the filling. Then I put green enchilada sauce over the top and some shredded cheddar.
They turned out very good. They are also good the same way, but with chicken added to the filling mixture.

I'm thinking chocolate crepes filled with strawberries and whipped cream and drizzled with some strawberry sauce. *drools at the thought of all the possibilities*

Last edited by SugarBabi; 02-20-2006 at 09:17 PM..
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:34 AM   #25

If you have Carbalose flour, these two recipes are good and the crepes are much less fragile and much easier to flip:

http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/allp...e_batter3.html
http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/light_crepes.html
Old 02-21-2006, 08:36 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
I have made the original LC crepe recipe several times and have become pretty good at it. I discovered that if you spray the pan with Pam between each crepe and cover the crepe with a lid that's big enough to cover the crepe, but smaller than the skillet (so the lid rests right on top of the surface of the skillet) for 30 seconds to a minute, the originals are much easier to handle.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:11 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/130
WOE: Low carb & actos
Start Date: 3/05
How about carb quick?
Sassay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #28
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue
If you have Carbalose flour, these two recipes are good and the crepes are much less fragile and much easier to flip:

http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/allp...e_batter3.html
http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/light_crepes.html
Thank you Linda Sue...I'm going to try all three of them. This is fun!!
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:33 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud1
Stats: 149/138/135 5'8"
WOE: Low fat/ low carb
Start Date: October 2003
I made them too. Delicious. I had the heat on low and was able to pick up the edge without burning my fingers and flip them over.Everytime I used a spatula I ruined them.
Rosebud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:38 AM   #30
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: farley109
Stats: 174/165/145 5'5 39 yrs
WOE: all of the above...mainly 20 carbs or less per day
Start Date: October 4, 2004 And Again 1/8/06 and again 9/10/07
so Carbquick works just like CARBALOSE and ATKINS BAKE MIX? Can I substitute Carbquick in any recipe that calls for carbalose or Atkins bake mixes? I just got my carbquick in and wasn't sure if it worked the same.
farley109 is offline   Reply With Quote