Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Canning time will be here soon and (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/212663-canning-time-will-here-soon.html)

SheilaR 03-08-2004 09:31 PM

Canning time will be here soon and

I'm wondering if anyone has canned dill pickles and/or bread and butter pickles with splenda. I haven't found any info on it anywhere. Also would like to make salsa...does splenda work well in it? Thanks for the ideas!:D

Jenita 03-09-2004 06:36 AM

Pickles

I make all of these. The pickle recipes are just Splenda versions of my regular recipes. I use a salsa mix (Mrs. Wages salsa mix) which is excellent, but I'm not sure if it is offered in other areas. Maybe someone else will share their recipes for salsa.

Bread & Butter Pickles

4 lb. cucumbers (about 12-15)
1 1/2 onions, sliced thin
1/3 c. sea salt
3 c. cider vinegar
3 c. Splenda
2 T. mustard seed
2 tsp. turmeric
2 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. peppercorns

Slice cucumbers in food processor. Make several layers of cucumbers, onions, and salt in a large bowl. Cover with ice cubes and let stand 1 1/2 hr. Drain and rinse. Place rest of ingredients in large pot and bring to a boil. Add drained veggies and return to a boil. Pack into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Remove air bubbles and seal. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Makes 5 pints at 35 carbs per pint.

Dill Pickles

3/4 c. Splenda
1/2 c. salt
1 qt. white vinegar
1 qt. water
3 T. pickling spice
dill seed
minced dry garlic

Wash cucumbers. Cut ends, slice lengthwise and pack into pint jars. Add 1/2 tsp. dill seed and 1/8 tsp. minced garlic to each pint. Bring Splenda, salt, vinegar, water, and spices to boil; simmer 15 min. Strain and pour over cucumbers. Seal and process 15 min. in water bath. Enough for 9 pints.

SheilaR 03-09-2004 03:18 PM

Jenita, thanks so much for the recipes!! We can get Mrs. Wages mix here and I'll have to try it. Can't wait to try these!:up:

sashadane 03-09-2004 05:51 PM

I LOVE to can! It's a dying art form, for sure. This is my first canning season doing LC. Anybody have recipes for LC convenience foods? Soups, etc?

SheilaR 03-09-2004 08:55 PM

It's alot of fun to do for sure. It's alot of work but worth the satisfaction. I don't know of many recipes for stuff except the regular pickles, relish, salsa, etc. Would love to find some though!

cc_autumn 03-10-2004 07:00 PM

A friend of mine just recently made me a batch of sweet relish using splenda. Turned out great.

Jenita 03-10-2004 07:08 PM

relish

Oh, I forgot that I also make zucchini relish using Splenda. It makes great tuna and chicken salad, as well as using on hot dogs. Here is the recipe that I use....sorry I haven't figured counts.

Zucchini Relish

6 c. chopped zucchini or yellow squash
1 c. chopped onions
1 c. chopped green peppers
1/4 c. salt
2 c. cider vinegar
4 tsp. celery seeds
2 tsp. mustard seeds
2 1/2 c. Splenda
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Combine vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hr. Drain, rinse, drain well. Combine rest of ingredients. Bring to boil, add veggies and simmer 10 min. Seal in jars and process 10 min. in water bath. Makes 2 1/2 pt.

SheilaR 03-10-2004 09:05 PM

Thanks Jenita! I've never heard of zucchini relish before. It sounds great and I love zucchini. We eat alot of relish here, just about on everything so I'm looking forward to trying it using Splenda.

LCRedhead 03-11-2004 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sashadane
I LOVE to can! It's a dying art form, for sure. Anybody have recipes for LC convenience foods? Soups, etc?
The last soup recipe I canned was tomato soup.

First ingredient: A water bucket full of tomatoes.

It was someones grandmother's recipe. I never could figure out just how big that water bucket was ......... but I made lots of tomato soup. It was a long process but people used to beg me to keep making it. I remember tomatoes, green peppers and some kind of seeds. After cooking had to run it through a food mill. I'll look see if I can find the recipe and maybe we can make it low carb.

Here comes a messy kitchen at my house.

:up:

rosethorns 03-11-2004 02:04 PM

I have a chow chow recipe made hot or sweet . Let me look for it.
It's made with green & red peppers
onion
cauliflower

It's so yummy.Ess

SheilaR 03-11-2004 08:39 PM

This is shaping up to be one yummy gardening season, ladies!:up:

rosethorns 03-13-2004 08:49 AM

Chow chow

6 cups cauliflowerets
2 c. chopped onions
2 c. each red & green peppers chopped
2 c. celery chopped
3 T. salt
sweetner to equal 2 c.
2 tsp. celery seed
2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. ginger
1 c. water
2 1/2 c. vineagar

make sure veggies are coursely chopped( about 1 inch in size)

combine all vegetables; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 4 to 6 hours.
in a cool place. Drain well. rinse and drain. Combine sweetner , water, spices, and vinegar in a large pot, cook for 15 mins. Add veggies, simmer 10 mins. Then bring to a boil. Pack hot chow chow in jars. Process 10 mins. in boiling- water canner.
make 6 pints.

Dill green Beans

2 lbs. green beans ( ends Trimmed)
1/4 c. canning salt
1 c. oinions large chop
2 1/2 c. water
2/1/2 c.vinegar
4 cloves garlic
4 heads dill

Combine salt, vinegar, onion, & water in Large sauce pot, bring to a boil. Pack beans in hots jars, add 1 garlic clove & 1 head of dill to each pint , add hot liquid & process for 10 mins.

These are really delish!
Ess

rosethorns 03-13-2004 09:07 AM

Here's another

Strawberry cinnamon butter

2 lbs. strawberries
1 T. cinnamon
sweetner to equal 2 cups
2 T lemon juice

To prepare pulp. wash and mash strawberries, simmer until soft, add about 1/2 cup of water to prevent sticking. you can press through a food mill. I just use a blender stick.

to make the butter. mix pulp , sweetner, & lemon juice. let stand 2 to 3 hours.
Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat. cook slowly until thick enough to round on a spoon. Ladle into hot jars, process for 10 mins. makes about 3 half pints.

Ess

Jenita 03-13-2004 07:00 PM

Catsup

Since you can get the Mrs. Wages mixes, I'll post my catsup recipe. DH likes it better than any other I have tried, so I make enough to last the whole year.

Sugar-Free Catsup

8 pt. tomato juice
1 1/4 c. white vinegar
12 oz. tomato paste
2 c. Splenda
2 pouches Mrs. Wages Catsup Mix
Core and chop tomatoes to fill 8 qt. pot. Cook, run through sieve. Measure 8 pt. and add tomato paste and vinegar. Boil 20 min., stirring often. Combine Splenda with mixes. Remove hot juice from heat and whisk in mixes and Splenda. Boil 5 min. more. Pour into hot jars and process 10 min. at 5 lb. pressure. Can be used in 24 hr. Makes 9 pt. Less than 1 carb per Tablespoon

Here is a jelly recipe that I really like:
Orange Jelly

6 c. zucchini, peeled &chopped (or yellow squash--use processor)
1 c. water
3 c. Splenda
2 T. lemon juice
5 slices canned pineapple, blended
1 sm. package S/F orange jello
1 sm. package S/F peach jello (or 2 sm. pkg. strawberry S/F jello)
Cook squash and water for 6 min. Add Splenda, juice, and drained pineapple. Cook 6 min. Add jello and cook 6 min. Seal in jars and process 5 min. in a water bath. I like to use half pint jars since I'm the only one eating it. Makes 3 pt. at 1 carb per Tablespoon.

How about a faux V-8 juice? I haven't figured the carbs on this, but DH really enjoys it.
V-8 Juice

15 lb. tomatoes, chopped (8 qt.)
2 c. celery, chopped
3 large onions, chopped
1 tsp. dried garlic
1/4 c. Splenda
2 T. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 rounded tsp. horseradish
1/3 c. lemon juice
2 T. Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrin)

Combine tomatoes, celery, onion, and garlic. Boil gently for 20 min. Blend until smooth, put through colander to remove any seeds or strings. Stir in rest of ingredients. Process pints 20 min. at 10 lb. pressure Makes 6 qt.

sunrae 03-13-2004 07:17 PM

This is the best canning thread EVER! Please keep posting more tried and true recipes. I have tons of jars and big plans for using them now!:)

Jenita 03-13-2004 07:47 PM

Salsa

Oops, I forgot to post my salsa recipe using the Mrs. Wages mix. I don't remember if I made any changes from what is printed on the package. All of our married kids beg me to make this for them every year. No Splenda is needed for this recipe.

Salsa

5 pints peeled & chopped tomatoes (we like red & yellow mixed)
1 pkg. Mrs. Wages salsa mix
1/2 c. cider vinegar
Peel, core and chop tomatoes to make 5 pints. Mix with the packet of Mrs. Wages salsa mix and vinegar. Bring to a boil and boil 10 min. Ladle into pint jars. Seal and process 10 min. at 5 lb. pressure. Makes 5 pints, total of 120 carbs; 24 carbs per pint

rosethorns 03-13-2004 08:18 PM

pepper relish

Jenita yours look great I'm going to try them.

Pepper relish

2 cups of each red, yellow,& green peppers chopped
3 cups chopped vadalia onions
sweetner to equal 2 cups
2 cups vinegar

Put everything in large pot except sweetner & bring to a boil,cook until veggies are tender crisp.remove from heat.Stir in sweetner. ladle hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.
Process 10 mins. in boiling water-canner. make 5 pints

I have to get the counts.

Whole cranberry sauce

2 packages cranberries
3 cups water
sweetner to your taste

wash cranberries well drain & put in large sauce pan.boil until skins pop. remove from heat . Add sweetner.Ladle into jars leaving 1/2" headspace. Process 10 mins. in boiling - water canner. makes 8 half pints.

this is for maintence or when you can have apples.
I have one for cinnamon apple rings . I thought i had right here . I will have to find it .

Jenita where do I find Mrs. Wages Thanks

Ess

SheilaR 03-13-2004 08:29 PM

Ess, I don't know where Jenita gets her Mrs. Wages mixes but I usually see it at Krogers and other grocery stores. Maybe WalMart has it?

Sunrae, I have tons of jars too and I'm rearin' to go! I'll have to go thru my recipes; I have a great Pepper and Onion relish one (somewhere).

SheilaR 03-13-2004 08:30 PM

Ess, I don't know where Jenita gets her Mrs. Wages mixes but I usually see it at Krogers and other grocery stores. Maybe WalMart has it?

Sunrae, I have tons of jars too and I'm rearin' to go! I'll have to go thru my recipes; I have a great Pepper and Onion relish one (somewhere).

Jenita, you're a wealth of info!

Jenita 03-13-2004 08:33 PM

great recipes!!

rosethorns, we could start a mutual admiration society--I was just about to tell you how yummy your recipes look!! I never thought about canning cranberry sauce, although I make it fresh. I have saved all of these to disk so I will be able to find them next summer. I buy the mixes at just about any of our local grocery stores (in northern Missouri). I believe they are made in St. Louis, so I'm not sure how available they are in other areas. Have you ever made the fake apple rings using cucumbers? I used to make them pre-low carb, then tried to remake the recipe last year with fair success. This thread makes me want spring to come sooner so I can get to planting and try these recipes!!
Jenita

rosethorns 03-13-2004 08:38 PM

Jenita
I love your v-8 recipe and am going to try and find Mrs. Wages. I have put theses all to disk too and can't wait. I'm so excited to start my garden. I haven't tried using cucumber for apples rings but would like to.

I have more recipes . Keep yours coming. Ess

SheilaR 03-13-2004 08:40 PM

Hey Jenita! Are you from St. Louis? I'm in the Vandalia area and not far from each other in that case.

Jenita 03-13-2004 09:09 PM

further north

SheilaR, I'm up north, close to the Iowa border. I have been to Vandalia several times, though. Sorry to say it was to visit a neighbor's daughter who ended up in prison, so didn't really take time to see the town. My hubby and sons are all in St. Louis right now at a motorcycle Supercross.

Can't wait for those recipes, rosethorn. Sure glad SheilaR started this thread!
Jenita

Jenita 03-13-2004 09:21 PM

More....

I don't know if you have access to grapes or not, but we have Concord grapes that I have always used to make delicious jelly. I have tried for over 3 years to make good sugar-free jelly using Splenda. I finally found if I used a little xylitol that it works great. Here's what I do:

Absolute Best Grape Jam

2 c. grape juice (can use while still frozen)
1/2 tsp. butter
3/4 c. Splenda
1/2 c. xylitol
1/3 c. S/F pectin (equal to 1 package)

Place juice, butter, and sweeteners in a 2 qt. saucepan. Bring to a boil. Whisk in pectin, bring to boil for 1 min. Skim foam and pour into jars and seal. Makes 2 1/4 c. @ less than 2 carbs per Tablespoon

SheilaR 03-13-2004 09:29 PM

Found the one I was looking for: It's great on burgers, chops, hot dogs, etc.

Pepper-onion relish:
2 quarts EACH chopped sweet green and red peppers
1 1/2 Cups chopped onions
2 hot red peppers, finely chopped
1 tsp. mixed pickling spices
1 1/2 Cups Spenda
4 tsp. salt
3 1/2 Cups vinegar

Cover veggies with boiling water; let stand 5 mins. Drain' cover again with boiling water and let stand 10 mins. Drain. Tie pickling spices in a spice bag. Combine spice bag, sugar, salt, and vinegar; simmer 15 mins. Add drained veggies; simmer 10 mins. Remove spice bag. Bring mixture to a boil. Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two piece caps; process 15 mins. in a boiling water canner. Yield: about 6 pints.

NOTE: remember to wear gloves when chopping the hot pepper!! The first time I used hot peppers, I didn't know and I paid dearly for it!! Lol:eek:

Jenita 03-13-2004 09:35 PM

MMMMM!

Mmmm,Mmmm, that sounds good! I'm going to bed before I get so hungry I have to raid the fridge!!

rosethorns 03-14-2004 07:54 AM

Sheila Thanks for starting this thread. These all look so yummy.
I've use splenda and stevia for my jam recipes.

Jenita I use pomona's universal pectin. It's used for no sugar recipes. I live in a very small town and I get it at HFS. Try it with your jam you won't go back. Grape is very high sugar for me so I stick to raspberry jam, strawberry jam, double berry jams.

I was thinking about my cherry perserves . Maybe maintence.

Here is my hook neck squash & onion ( yellow squash)

Yellow hook neck squash

maybe about 8 lbs.of yellow squash sliced
2 big vadalia onions chopped

I barely cook this then put in hot jars and pour boiling water in jars. I process for 15 mins for pints in boiling-water canner.

I do this 'cause of this great recipe my dad taught me.
I can't get yellow squash in the winter.

There are 2 of us at home now so this is a small recipe you can double it .
Now that I'm low carb I don't use beer,( you could use low carb beer, I haven't tried this).

Sauteed Yellow squash & onions

1 jars of canned squah & onions
1/4 c. butter
1 T. olive oil ( to keep butter from burning)
1/2 bottle of beer
1/2 tsp. salt

Drain water from jar of squash and put into from pan. Saute with butter , olive oil, and salt when it becomes lightly brown then add beer simmer until beer is almost gone, Serve.

This is so yummy.

Sheila or Jenita does Mrs. Wages mix have carbs in it ????

Jenita how about that apple ring recipe using cucumbers????

This is a great thread!!!!!!

More Please Ess

rosethorns 03-14-2004 10:34 AM

Ok everybody I have a few questions:
Grape jam
Can I get the juice from fresh grapes and strain ?
The s/f jello has aspartame in it I can't use that. So can I use knox and flavorings???

Here is my salsa recipe . It's not hot. I make half hot half not DH
does not like hot. Also I use red plum & sun gold cherry tomatoes. If you can get sun gold plants or seeds do try these
the flavor is out of this world.
I don't use cilantro ( don't like it but you can add it).
I'm guessing on the amounts 'cause I make a huge pasta bowl
full ( 8 quarts )

Essy"s salsa

6 lbs. of tomatoes chopped
4 or 5 valdalia onions chopped
3 garlic cloves chopped
2 cans of green chile peppers diced
1 tsp. salt

( if you want this hot add 2 serano peppers)

Put all of this mixture in pot and heat enough to get hot. Ladle into hot jars and process half pints and pints for 10 mins. in boiling-water canner.
makes about 8 or 10 pints

sometimes I take about a lb. of tomatoes and puree them in the blender. To make chunky and smooth.
This is great fresh too.

Ess

SheilaR 03-14-2004 04:50 PM

Ess,

I would think you could use Knox and flavorings...give it a try anyway. What do you eat the squash with? As a topping or as a side dish?

Also, I'm not sure about carbs in the Mrs. Wages....I'll find out when I get some though.

Thanks for all the recipes...this is a really fun thread!!!!!!!!!!:up:

rosethorns 03-14-2004 06:48 PM

Hi Sheila,
It's a side dish. Thanks for check out info on Mrs.Wages
This is shaping up to be great !!!!

Ess