Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2004, 10:21 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
Bumping
Has anyone used a steamer to can???
chickiemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2005, 02:19 PM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Bump
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:35 AM   #123
Blabbermouth!!!

bump 'cause it's a great thread!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:38 AM   #124
Blabbermouth!!!

bump 'cause i need it
Old 04-30-2007, 04:13 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crink
Remember that ALL foods that are low in acid must be processed in a pressure cooker to avoid Botulism ....bot·u·lism :a sometimes fatal disease of the nervous system acquired from spoiled foods in which botulin is present, [COLOR="Red"]esp. improperly canned or marinated foods[/COLOR]. Most vegetables are extremely low in acid content....green beans, beets, carrots and squash all fall into this category. Processing in a water bath is NOT safe.

I taught food science for years and this is EXTREMELY important and we don't want to lose any of you low carbers
Crink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crink
I have used a steamer and it is wonderful for fresh fruits such as peaches, pears, apricots and tomato products. Follow directions carefully and be sure that you count the full boiling time. It is sure a lot easier and less messy than a boiling water bath. Anything that does not need to be done in a pressure cooker works well in a canning steamer.
Crink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
Bumping for Bread & Butter Pickles!
lcmiller461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #128
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: gettinserious
Stats: 3++/3++/170
WOE: lowcarb foods
Start Date: argh
I just got a book today from the library (you might want to try inner library loan if yours doesn't have it) called Canning and Preserving Without Sugar. ANYTHING you could think of to preserve can pretty much be found in it. lol..
gettinserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
I've made 20 pints so far of pickled green beans. They make a great low carb snack. The recipe is:

Brine:
5 cups water
5 cups vinegar
1/4 cup salt (I use kosher)

bring the brine to a boil. In the meantime, in the bottom of each pint jar (you'll need about 6), place one clove of garlic, 1 teaspoon of dill seed, one teaspoon of mustard seed, and 1/4 - 1/5 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Pack hot jars with cleaned and trimmed breen beans, then fill jar to within 1/4 of the top with boiling brine. Put on lids and process in a hot water bath for 5 minutes.

We love these because the beans stay nice and crunchy.

Tim
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

This last weekend, I made 7 pints of spaghetti sauce. Here's the recipe for that:

1/4 cup olive oil
3 medium onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
12 cups tomatoes, peeled,cored,and chopped,approximately
3 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste (I used one 12 oz can and about 1 1/2 cups of homemade dried cherry tomatoes)
1 tablespoon sugar free honey
1 taplespoon sugar replacement
1/2 cup red wine
3 tablespoons of chopped fresh oregano
4 teaspoons salt
about 1/3 of a cup of chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon dried black pepper

1. Heat oil in large pan.
2. Saute onions and garlic until tender.
3. Add rest of ingredients except fresh herbs
4. Heat to boiling.
5. Reduce heat.
6. Simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours.
7. Stir occasionally.
8. Stir in fresh herbs.
9. I take part of mine out of the pot for "chunkies" and use my stick blender to blend the rest smooth, then stir the "chunkies" back in
10. Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes more

When done, cool completely and store in freezer bags or containers, or process in a boiling covered canner for 35 minutes.

Sadly, this is higher in carbs than some of the commercial sauces, but personally, I like the fact that I know what's in this sauce, and the carbs in the sauce are "good carbs"

Tim
Old 08-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenita
Yum!

Great! More canning recipes to add to my files! Thanks for posting these. I thought this thread was dead.
Jenita
Jenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crink View Post
Remember that ALL foods that are low in acid must be processed in a pressure cooker to avoid Botulism ....bot·u·lism :a sometimes fatal disease of the nervous system acquired from spoiled foods in which botulin is present, [COLOR="Red"]esp. improperly canned or marinated foods[/COLOR]. Most vegetables are extremely low in acid content....green beans, beets, carrots and squash all fall into this category. Processing in a water bath is NOT safe.

I taught food science for years and this is EXTREMELY important and we don't want to lose any of you low carbers
You are SO right about that! I don't even own a water bath canner and use a pressure canner for everything I can. Much safer that way. LOVE TO CAN!!
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:29 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

RV Cook - can you share some pressure cooker canning tips? I have a large pressure cooker, but every recipe I see for canning this way say something like "cook at 10 pounds pressure" and I have no idea what that means. I have the standard Presto pressure cooker with the little thing on top that rocks back and forth when under pressure. Any ideas?

Tim
Old 08-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim964 View Post
RV Cook - can you share some pressure cooker canning tips? I have a large pressure cooker, but every recipe I see for canning this way say something like "cook at 10 pounds pressure" and I have no idea what that means. I have the standard Presto pressure cooker with the little thing on top that rocks back and forth when under pressure. Any ideas?

Tim
Tim:

I too have a Presto Pressure Canner. The little thing on the top that rocks back and forth when under pressure is your actual pressure gauge. My Presto canner has NO dial and JUST a gauge. If you pull up on the large rings of the gauge, you will be able to lift them off completely. Now you will have three separate pieces. The piece with the black button on it is equal to 5 lbs. and each ring is equal to 5 lbs. So if you place one ring on the back button piece you will have a weight equal to 10 lbs. Use all three and you will have 15 lbs. Use only the piece with the black button and you will have 5 lbs.

If your recipe calls for 10 mins at 10 lbs. pressure, close your canner and drive the steam out for 10 minutes (allow the steam to vent fully.) Then when 10 minutes is up, place one ring on the black button piece and place on the vent. Now wait until the pressure gauge begins to steadily and gently "jiggle." Now start your timer. Adjust your heat to maintain the gentle "jiggle." After a while, you'll know what to listen for; NO "jiggling" = raise the heat; manic "jiggling" = lower the heat.

According to my chart, all fruits (either pints or quarts) can be processed in a pressure canner at 5 lbs. pressure for 10 minutes. Tomatoes (technically a fruit) as well as sauce (with NO other veggies added and/or NO meat added) can be done the same way.

Does this help?

EDITED TO ADD: Once your time is up, remove the pan from the heat and allow the pressure to reduce on its own. DO NOT REMOVE THE PRESSURE GAUGE OR ATTEMPT TO QUICK COOL (running a small stream of water on one corner of the cooker.) To see if the pressure has been released completely, nudge the pressure gauge. If it still makes a pressure 'sound' leave it alone. When the pressure does finally reduce fully, remove the gauge and allow the canner to sit for about 10 minutes until the locking mechanism is released. Then remove the jars and allow to cool.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...

Last edited by RVcook; 08-09-2007 at 07:34 AM..
Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vonnygirl
Stats: 237.5/181.5/165
WOE: OWL
Start Date: 6/06 with a couple of pauses......
subscribing...
vonnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Donna, that does help somewhat, although my gauge does not have the rings you mention. I'll check out Presto's website and see if I can order a gauage that lets me select the pounds of pressure!

Tim
Old 08-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim964 View Post
Thanks Donna, that does help somewhat, although my gauge does not have the rings you mention. I'll check out Presto's website and see if I can order a gauage that lets me select the pounds of pressure!

Tim
My previous canner was a Mirro and it only had a weighted gauge that had 3 indentations in it as well as notations "5", "10", "15". Your gauge might be this kind.

Does your canner have a pressure dial as well?

Contacting Presto with your questions might answer all these questions.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #138
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
I got an email from Splenda yesterday and they now have a Bread & Butter pickle recipe on their website.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

For those of you who have canned with Splenda, did you find that the canned food lost any of its sweetness after a while in storage?

I usually make cranberry sauce and applesauce with Splenda and other sweeteners, but up until now I've only eaten it fresh. I'd like to can it and have it during the winter, but was concerned that the product might lose its sweetness.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

bumping for the season
Old 08-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: graciejean
Bump de bump
graciejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I am way behind on this thread. (just now finding it) But did want to say that if you live in a high altitude like me (over 5000 feet) very few things can be canned at less than 15 #s pressure. A few tho can be canned at 10#.
The altitude rule is:
Over 2,000 feet (600 meters) use 10# instead of 5 # (very few things can be canned at 5# even at the lower altitude - basically fruits), use 15# instead of 10.

When I was reading this post, I was also concerned about the canning of cucumbers, zucchini, etc. as a pineapple replacement without enough acid. It had been done, and sometimes with no problem, but it has often resulted in botulism (a very bad food poisoning) like Crink & RVcook said. There are safe recipes for "faux" pineapple out there. You might check out canning books or check with your local county extension office.
Oh, and DaVinci does now make a pineapple flavored syrup, but don't know how much it would take. I have not been able to find pineapple flavoring around here. I finally ordered some DaVinci pineapple from Netrition for a recipe that Kevin posted (and other uses). But I would much rather have pineapple flavoring (cheaper) for most things.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 08-18-2008 at 08:37 AM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Rosethorns, re the Dill Green Beans, are they processed in a water bath or pressure canner. With all the talk about safety, it made me wonder. New to "canning" this year.

Also, what would the equivalent of a head of dill be in dill weed if the fresh dill head isn't available?
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:14 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

I just made 10 quarts of pickled green beans this last weekend (I made the recipe I posted here). No fresh dill needed, just dill seed. 5 minutes in a water bath - couldn;t be simplier!
Old 09-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
tim964, since the beans are processed for only five minutes, I am assuming your jars and rings are previously sterilized? All the water bath recipes I've done process for 10 minutes, in which case sterilization occurs during that time.

Thanks, Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Laura in Arizona
WOE: Paleo/Protein Power
Start Date: June 6 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenita View Post
I have never canned them, but use a can of store bought to make a small batch at a time. They are a great side dish with some cole slaw or green beans. Here's how I do it:

Beet Pickles

1/3 c. Splenda
6 cloves whole allspice
pinch of salt
1/4 c. cider vinegar
2 T. water
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 can sliced beets, drained

Combine all ingredients except beets in glass bowl. Microwave 2 min. on 70%. Cool a few minutes and add the drained beets. Refrigerate overnight. 38 carbs in whole batch
This is an excellent recipe! I love pickled beets so tried this a week ago. I was not sure about the "6 cloves whole allspice" line so added 6 whole cloves AND 6 whole allspice and used liquid Splenda. The next day they were a little bitey but a day or so after that they were excellent. Thanks to Jenita if you are still here, you gave me back one of the things I really wanted. I am just eating the last of them with my lunch and they are still excellent.
Laura in Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/189/152
WOE: In Limbo
Start Date: Each day is a new day to start fresh.
Tis the season (to bump and can) once again! I am curious if people have tried canning with Erythritol / stevia combos. Do the sugar alcohols work at all in things like bread and butter pickles?

Many thanks!

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DEEDLYNN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenita View Post
Oh, I forgot that I also make zucchini relish using Splenda. It makes great tuna and chicken salad, as well as using on hot dogs. Here is the recipe that I use....sorry I haven't figured counts.

Zucchini Relish

6 c. chopped zucchini or yellow squash
1 c. chopped onions
1 c. chopped green peppers
1/4 c. salt
2 c. cider vinegar
4 tsp. celery seeds
2 tsp. mustard seeds
2 1/2 c. Splenda
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Combine vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hr. Drain, rinse, drain well. Combine rest of ingredients. Bring to boil, add veggies and simmer 10 min. Seal in jars and process 10 min. in water bath. Makes 2 1/2 pt.
My mom and I made this last year in little pint jars......I LOVE THIS STUFF. I can eat spoonfuls of it, but it's great with hot dogs.

Very easy to make and very very good way to use up all our zucchini.
DEEDLYNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Somebody, I can't remember who, made jam with 1/2 stevia and 1/2 erythritol. That person said it came out great.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:46 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/189/152
WOE: In Limbo
Start Date: Each day is a new day to start fresh.
Thanks Soobee! Good to *see* you and I always appreciate your input on my novice recipe questions!!

I ended up using this basic recipe Bread and Butter Pickles - Cucumber Pickle Recipe and subbing 1.5 cups E. and a little less than 1/8 t. Stevia Extract. I did include the hot pepper flakes (listed as optional in the recipe). I'm interested to see what the pickles will taste like this winter, but the "leftovers" that are in the fridge tasted pretty good yesterday!

I'm hoping the water bath method is OK for this recipe without the sugar since there are 3 cups of vinegar in it. My logic here is that this same method is used for dills that have no sugar at all. If somebody posts a cheesecake recipe and I don't come roaring in with substitution questions, send the posse after me because that will mean I died of my own pickles.

(sorry...I know it's not a laughing matter. It's early here and I'm a bit punchy...)

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote