Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2004, 09:15 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenita
carbs

Mrs. Wages has a web site by the same name. If you bring up the individual products, it will give all of the info from the back of the packages. Yes, they do have carbs--I have figured them into my counts. It will usually list one serving as maybe 1/4 tsp., then gives how many servings in the package, so I just figure the total, add everything together and divide by the number of total servings (such as Tablespoons).

As for the grape jam, I always make my own juice from our Concord grapes. I eat very little grape jelly, but DH seems to think that is the only kind of jelly that is edible. LOL Rosethorns, I can't find the Pomona around here, but we do have S/F pectin. I usually buy mine in bulk at a local Amish store, so really don't know the brand. That salsa looks really good--will give that a try this summer! My disk is going to be full at this rate. What fun!
Jenita
Jenita is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2004, 09:30 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I'll check out Mrs,Wages web site. Thanks
That's what I thought about the grapes, good.
OK JENITA: how about that recipe using cucumbers for apples rings that sounds wonderful.

Thanks Ess
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:43 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Apple Rings

OK, here is how I made them. They are rather time-consuming, but very good. The original recipe called for red hots, so I had to do quite a bit of substituting. Would you like the original recipe to see if you can come up with some better subs?

Cucumber Apple Rings

1-2 gal. cucumbers, peel, slice, core (I peel, cut in small chunks, then use an apple corer; then slice)
1 c. lime
4 1/4 qt. water

1 c. white vinegar
1/2 small bottle red food coloring
1 T. alum
water to cover

2 c. white vinegar
2 c. water
9 c. Splenda
8 sticks cinnamon, broken
1/2 tsp. cinnamon oil

Mix lime and water. Soak rings 24 hr. in lime water. Drain & rinse well. Combine vinegar, coloring, alum, & enough water to cover rings . Simmer 2 hr. Drain. Bring rest of ingredients to boil and pour over cukes. Let stand overnight. Drain and reheat syrup, pour over rings & let stand overnight. Drain syrup into large pot and add 3/4 c. water, 1/4 c. white vinegar, 1 T. lemon juice, 1 c. Splenda, oil to taste. Pour over rings in jars. Seal. Bring to 5 lb. pressure & turn off. Makes 7 pt.

Here are the original ingredients (I cut it in half above):

2 gal. cucumbers, peeled, sliced, and cored
2 c. lime
1 1/2 qt. water

1 c. white vinegar
1 small bottle red food coloring
1 T. alum
water to cover

2 c. vinegar
2 c. water
10 c. sugar
8 sticks cinnamon, broken
6 oz. pkg. red hot candy
Old 03-15-2004, 01:52 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Jenita
This is wonderful!!!!!! My apple recipe called for red hots and that's what I did too. This will work great especially with cucumbers.

Thanks Ess
Old 03-15-2004, 03:09 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Squash Pickles

Squash Pickles

8 c. sliced yellow squash
1 c. sliced onion rings
1 T. uniodized salt
1 c. green peppers chopped
2 c. apple cider vinegar
3 c. s/f sweetner
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. mustard seed

Combine squash & onions, sprinkle with salt. Let stand 1 hr. Combine peppers, vinegar, sweetner, celery seed, and mustad seed. Bring to a boil.
Put squash & onions in hot jars, cover with vinegar mixture & seal jars. Process 5 mins.

Ess

Ok Sheila R what do ya think!!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 04:09 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SheilaR
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 8/03
Yummy Ess...those sound great! I'm digging thru my recipe box to see what else I can come up with.....

Keep 'em coming girls!
SheilaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:42 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sunrae
WOE: Bernstein/Atkins
Start Date: 11-97
Seeing the recipe for apple rings made me remember a lady who used to make pineapple out of zucchini for canning. The only thing she did was add hot pineapple juice instead of water to the jar before processing.

Unsweetened pineapple juice has 35 carbs per cup, so that's out. I may have to experiment with this this summer using extract. Anyone else have an idea for this flavor? A DaVinci type syrup? I don't believe I've ever seen pineapple. Even canned plain and flavored later, this might be nice for coleslaw, jello salads or a warm thickened topping to go over any type of lowcarb cake. (Haven't even figured out how to do it and already I'm eating it. )

I'm glad you posted the apple recipe. It's got me thinking.
sunrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:03 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

oooooo good keep coming ladies!!!!!! I have more i just have to find them.

Sheila i'd love to see yours.

Sunrae , This has some promising aspects to it. I have pinapple flavoring from Lorranns. It get me thinking too.
Well we will have to see what we can come up with .

Thanks Ess
Old 03-15-2004, 07:15 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sashadane
Stats: 176/173/150 - 5'10.5"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2004
Holy smokes!!! What great recipes. I can't wait for Spring!

Last year I made dozens of pints of veggie soup. I'm working on a low carb version now. I tried a cucumber soup in one of my canning books and believe it or not, it was delicious. It has a lot of onion in it, so I'm going to experiment with using fewer onions to reduce carbs.

I absolutely can't wait to make the grape jelly!

How about this one:

Curried Zuchini Soup

9 lbs zuchini (and or summer squash)
2 cups peeled, chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, peeled & minced
1/2 cup vegetable oil
20 cups water, chicken broth or veggie broth
1 1/2 tbsps curry powder
salt & pepper to taste

Trim and discard the zuchini ends, then chop into 1/2 inch pieces. Sautee zuchini, onions and garlic in the oil until tender. Add the water or broth and bring to a boil. Add the curry, lower the heat and simmer uncovered until the vegetables are very soft.

Puree the soup in a blender, return to the stockpot and season to taste. Boil for 5 minutes, then ladle into jars.

Makes 7 quarts
Headspace: 1 inch
Dial Gauge canner: 40 minutes/11 lbs
Weighted Gauge canner: 40 minutes/10 lbs
sashadane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:33 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Chicken Soup (Ball Blue Book)

4 quarts chicken stock
3 cups diced chicken (about one 3 pound chicken)
1 1/2 cups diced celery (about 2 stalks)
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
1 cup diced onion (about one med)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine chicken stock, celery, carrots and onion. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes. Season to taste. Ladle hot soup into hot jars. Adjust two piece caps. Process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes. Quarts, 1 hour and 30 minutes, at 10 lbs of pressure. Yeilds 8 pints or 4 quarts.

I'm guessing about 3.5 carbs per pint.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:06 PM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi sashadane
They both look good.

I've made veggie soup to & cream of broccli & chicken soup and canned.

I made this a lot before LC. Elderberry jam. elderberries have
26.6 g. of carbs per cup & 10.1 of fiber, I just checked the USDA here's the recipe. I use pomona pectin and liquid splenda, & stevia.

Elderberry jam

3 c. elderberries
3/4 tsp. liquid splenda ( or sweetner to equal 3 cups )
1/2 c. water

Cook crushed elderberries for 15 mins. put through food mill to remove seeds . put in bowl add sweetner and ladle in hot 1/2 pint jars. makes 4 or 5 1/2 pints
1 carb per Tablespoon

Process for 10 mins.

I'm loving all these recipes. Ess
Old 03-15-2004, 08:14 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

I use to make this in the summer alot. I've never tried to can it but I thought you all would like it.

Philadelphia Relish

!/2 head of cabbage finely chopped
1 of each red & green pepper finely chopped
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 brown sugar twin
1/2 c. vinegar

Put cabbage,and pepppers in bowl and set aside. Combine celery seed, mustard seed. salt , sugar twin, and vineagar in sauce pan to combine flavors. Just simmer to combine then let cool. When cool pour into bowl with cabbage and peppers. This is so good.

Ess
Old 03-15-2004, 10:04 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Yummy stuff!

This just gets better every time I check in!! What creative, yummy recipes. You know, I just looked at my cucumber recipe--that isn't halved--not sure which recipe I was thinking about. LOL

Rosethorns, what are elderberries? I've heard of them, but they must not be locally grown, for I've never seen them in any of our produce aisles or farmer's market. Or, maybe they are called by a different name.

I have never canned soups, but sounds like a great idea, sashadane. I have canned venison to use for soup, stew, etc. The best part about it is the convenience and being able to put a meal on the table very quickly, so the canned soup would have the same advantages.

I, too, have heard of the pineapple made from zucchini. Hope someone can figure out a low carb option for this.

Waiting anxiously for more recipes.
Jenita
Old 03-16-2004, 08:03 AM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Jenita Elderberries are a small round berry , dark blue lightly covered a little whitish , grown wild in WA . You have to cook them they are wonderful for your immune system.and they ripen in sept.

Have you ever heard of Elderberry wine. It is an extremely sweet thick wine. I've learned a lot about the wild berries of WA since moving here 3 yrs. ago. There are a lot of wonderful berries here.

Here is something a about pomona universal pectin. We had a big discussion on this last year and thats what made me a convert I just love it.

www.vegsource.com/talk/sugarfree/messages/56309.html]
Check it out.

Ok ladies we want more! I just love all of these. Ess
Old 03-16-2004, 04:45 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

My family gets canned soups and goodies from me every Christmas. This past year, my brother got 3 dozen pints of stuff:
split pea soup, seasoned ground beef (he heats this and scoops it with tortilla chips!), sloppy joe beef mix, chicken a la king, chicken soup, spaghetti sauce with ground beef, chili, etc.

He loves it! The convenience of it and the fact that there aren't any preservatives.

I've just got to get in low carb mode and convert some of my favorite ones!

This is an awesome thread!

I still have about 18 quarts of tomatoes put up from last summer. I am working on that spicy tomato soup! I was thinking about combining the tomato with some zuchini to lower the carb count... what do you guys think?
Old 03-16-2004, 05:20 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Chili (from the Ball Blue Book)

5 lbs ground beef (or ground turkey/chicken)
2 cups chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups cooked or canned tomatoes and juice
1/2 cup chili powder
1 1/2 tablespons salt
1 hot red pepper, finely chopped (more if you like it)
1 teaspoon cumin seed

Brown meat. Drain off excess fat. Add onions and garlic; cook slowly until onions are tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20 minutes. Skim off excess fat, if necessary, before canning. Ladle hot chili into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two piece caps. Process pints 1 hour 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes. Yield about 6 pints or 3 quarts.

13.93 net carbs per pint. (6.96 carbs per cup)
Old 03-16-2004, 09:42 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SheilaR
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 8/03
I've never done anything but hot water canning because I really didn't know what else to can in a pressure canner but green beans! lol I'm definately going to can some soups and meat dishes this year!! How convienent it that to just pop one open "when the snow's a-flyin" (my mama's "canning" saying). Home cooked meal in an instant! I love it! Thanks all you awesome ladies!! Now, where did I put those veggie recipes.......
SheilaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:03 AM   #48
princess peskironi WIT

Gallery: Peskie
Stats: eek!
WOE: whatever it takes to be a good, energetic mommy!!
Start Date: 11/12/03 goal 7/11/05, crash, burn, restart again!
Can anybody tell me how long canned foods keep?

Where do you store your canned chili? I haven't tried canning meat.
Peskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:27 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Motts Landing
Start Date: restarted Jan 08'
I have canned just about anything that will fit into a jar!! Raw chicken, roast beef, dried beans, etc! I love to can but recently moved to Fl and don't have much garden space anymore so I miss it. I even canned my own apple pie filling form my apple trees. As far as the question goes about bread and butter pickles...have you ever tried making FREEZER PICKLES? YUMMY! My pickles in jars always get a bit soft so these stay crunchy forever!
16 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
1 cup thin sliced onion
3 TBSP salt
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. tumeric
1/2 tsp. powder alum
1 tsp. mustard seed
2 cups apple cider vinegar
4 cups sugar (sweetner of choice)
Combine cucumbers, onion, & salt. Set aside for 3 hours. Meanwhile....
Mix 2 cups cider vinegar & 4 cups sweetner with remaining ingredients setting aside for 3 hours stirring occasionally.
After 3 hours, rinse the salt off the cucumber & onions VERY WELL. Pour the remaining mixed ingredients over the cucumbers & stir well. Place this in the fridge for 3-4 days stirring every day. Then divide into freezer box containers & freeze. These keep frozen VERY WELL and stay crunchy after thawing!
Enjoy!
Motts Landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:12 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Sound good

Those sound good, MottsLanding, as does sashadane's chili. I have a problem with some of my pickles getting soft, too. I'm not sure what they add to the store ones to keep them so crisp, but figure it's not something that is very healthy for us. I will have to try your recipe.

Peskie, I need to look it up, but I think home canned foods are good for 2-3 years (am I right, gals?). They will keep much, much longer than that, but not always as fresh and good. I store my canned meat, along with everything else that I can, on my shelves in the basement. They just need to be in a cool, dry spot.
Jenita
Old 03-17-2004, 01:17 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

I have never made a good batch of crunchy pickles. I'm definitely going to try this one! I always have tons of cukes in my garden. Thanks Motts Landing!

The Ball Blue Book says that shelf life is a year. But jars of canned goods have been found in shipwrecks over 100 years old and, once opened, were found to have the same quality as fresh food.

I store all of my canned goods in a cool dark area too. Can't let them get too warm. Course, I also keep jars of soup in my desk drawer at work just in case.

I love to can! I have spent entire weekends canning. My Mom calls it "Marathon Canning Weekends". But it's so wonderful to have fresh, healthful ingredients on hand. Even if you're buying them from the Farmers Market.

Last year I bought 25 pound boxes of the most beautiful tomatoes you've ever seen for $13 a box. I put up almost 200 lbs! But I've used them all year.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:17 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow Mottslanding I'm going to try them in the freezer. I've never done that.

I know veggies and jams and fruits will last up to 5 yrs in a cool dry place.
Meats , soups, stews I don't know how they last time wise but i eat them all through winter. Quick dinners.

I love my pressure canner.

Sahadane chili looks good.

I always have bf, vegetable , and chicken stock canned.
I have a lot of others like asian plum sauce, pinapple spice sauce, plum syrup, spicy plum syrup. But I think these are too high in carbs.

Keep'em coming ladies!!!!!!!

ESS
Old 03-17-2004, 01:23 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Rosethorns, that relish sounds delicious! What do you eat it on or with?
Old 03-17-2004, 01:45 PM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Sashadane I'm a little confused which one do you mean??????

Ess
Old 03-17-2004, 01:49 PM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

OK Sashadane The Philadelphia relish???? If it's that one it's great with chicken, lamb & pork. Use it a lot at BBQ's . I love that stuff.

I'm an east coast girl and west coast women.

That chili looks so promising !!!!!!!!!

Ess
Old 03-17-2004, 02:07 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Thanks rosethorns! Sounds so good. I can't wait to make some, whether canned or not. The chili is delicious. I made tons of it for my brother. He eats it all the time. I'm thinking about adding a couple of cans of black soybeans to it. It would increase the carbs a bit, but I really like beans in my chili.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:11 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassySean
I'm waiting.....

I saw the zucchini (sp) relish recipe. Where is the regular relish recipe???

I vote for this to be a sticky so that you all can keep adding to it. Great thread.

Can the "sticky monster" please help????
SassySean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:38 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

More recipes

Here is my regular cucumber relish recipe:

Pickle Relish

9 c. ground cucumbers
1 c. ground onions
2 green peppers, ground (or red)
1/4 c. salt
1 3/4 c. cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. xanthan
1/2 tsp. turmeric
3 1/2 c. Splenda
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Mix vegetables and salt. Let stand overnight. Drain, rinse, drain well. Cook rest of ingredients until blended, add vegetables and simmer 30 min. Seal in hot jars. Water bath 10 min. Makes 6 c. at 1 1/2 carbs per T.

This isn't a canning recipe, but these are really good. It's a recipe from my Mom that I low-carbed. Very easy, quick, crispy and yummy.

Overnight Sweet Pickles

1 qt. dill pickles
2 c. Splenda
1 T. vinegar
12 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon, broken
3 slices onion, chopped

Drain pickles and discard juice. Pour pickles into a bowl, add rest of ingredients. Stir well . After sugar is dissolved, put back in jar. Seal and store in refrigerator. Better after several days.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:17 AM   #59
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi all

I wish we could get more people to check those old cook books and Granma's recipe files. I bet we could come up with some great ones.

Jenita I've made the overnite sweet pickles using hamburger dill chips . They are so good!!!

Ess
Old 03-18-2004, 05:41 PM   #60
princess peskironi WIT

Gallery: Peskie
Stats: eek!
WOE: whatever it takes to be a good, energetic mommy!!
Start Date: 11/12/03 goal 7/11/05, crash, burn, restart again!
Thanks for the info Jenita and sashadane! I've been looking for that. We live in a house with a perfect place to store canned goods, but I couldn't remember how long they were good for. I guess it would partially depend on the food item.
Quote:
I vote for this to be a sticky so that you all can keep adding to it. Great thread.
I second that!
Peskie is offline   Reply With Quote