Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #421
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
wow, Charski, your larder must be beautiful! what a great idea to go to a local apple farm for apples, and the grape jam sounds awesome. Care to share your sugar-free jam recipe?
Hi Diana! Well, I can give you the general idea - LOL! I bought 2 of the large clamshell containers of the seedless red grapes at Costco. I'm not sure what the weight is? Will have to check. Anyway, I washed and pulled the grapes from the stems and put them into the Vitamix container as I worked. When it was full, I put the lid on and started at the lowest setting, turned it on, then moved the speed up til all the grapes were at least broken up. I didn't want it totally smooth, but you COULD do that if you wanted.

As I worked on pureeing the grapes, I poured the puree into a gallon plastic jug which formerly housed apple cider. When I got done, I had just shy of a gallon, so I topped it up with filtered water to make a full gallon. Added maybe a cup or so of water. I shook that all up.

For each batch of jam, I used 8 cups of the puree, 6 tablespoons of Ball low or no sugar pectin, and a little Splenda to taste. The grapes were very sweet already so it didn't take much. Also 1 teaspoon of butter to reduce foaming.

Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook til thickened up a bit - the jar of pectin actually has good directions on it. Ladle into hot jars, put on lids and rings, and steam canned for 20 minutes.

Now, I personally don't stand over the stovetop and do this because we bought a Ball FreshTech automatic jelly/jam maker last year! I love the thing. The directions for it will tell you to make half of what I did in it, but we have figured out how to make the double batch in there so it's more cost-effective and takes less time to make up all those jars. And I love the steam canner because you're not dealing with a big pot of boiling water - just two quarts in the bottom of the canner does the job.

Both those items were purchased at our favorite big online presence - Amazon. If you're interested, you can look them up.

I've also made grape jelly using no-sugar-added grape juice. Works great too.

Let me know if you want any more details!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #422
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
That jam looks good...I want some...lol

Can we have your recipes please?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #423
Gadget Gal

We cross-posted, Nigel!

I pretty much just follow the directions on the Ball website for the jams and jellies made with the Low/No sugar Pectin they make. Everything has turned out really well. We've made pomegranate (using bottled unsweetened pomegranate juice), blueberry (same), pineapple (yep!) and I don't know how many others so far. I get the juices at Trader Joe's. Any unsweetened or no sugar added juice will work though. I sweeten using Splenda, and I still have tons of the old quickpacks, so that's what I've been using.

The mixed berries jam was made from Costco's frozen mixed berries, which come in a 4 pound bag.

You don't HAVE to can them, you could just refrigerate if you wanted.

Last edited by Charski; 10-25-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Old 10-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #424
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Thanks, Charski for the great directions! So far I've been making blackberry or raspberry jam with pureed frozen berries and my mix of sweeteners (e, x, and Tagatose with a few drops of liquid splenda). I just boil the whole thing down, taste for sweetness, and strain through the foley food mill to get the seeds out. It sets up well without any pectin. It's very yummy, but I would love to try some new jams.

your grape jam sounds amazing. do you strain it to get out the skins or are they soft enough to leave in? I'm going to have to check out steam canners--I have the old kind that weighs about 50 pounds when it's full of water. And I am intrigued by making jellies with the unsweetened juices--hadn't thought of that before! Again, thanks for all the info!

Last edited by dianafoot; 10-25-2013 at 02:46 PM..
dianafoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #425
Gadget Gal

NO problem!

No, I don't strain the skins out. Between the pureeing and the cooking, they're indiscernible in the finished product, and help lend some color to it as well.

That steam canner is the way to go, IMHO. It might not hold as many jars at once as the water bath canner, but it takes so much less effort and water to run it that it's worth it.

The one thing I've found with SF jams is that they tend to separate just a little without the pectin - they get a bit watery on the top. The pectin seems to help hold the liquid in suspension. But if you have good success without it, that's the way to go!

I don't think that would work with the straight juices though??
Old 10-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #426
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Charski...I have a whack of blueberries I need to make jam out of.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #427
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Wow Charski they look great. I've been trying to make some dairy free stuff so I haven't seen this. Lovely you guys.

Here is a thread on pear butter. Charski has pics. Lovely.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ar-butter.html
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

You're right, Charski, my method of boiling down and pureeing wouldn't work for juices. But my berry jams always set up as thick as commercial jams and don't separate. DH is crazy about my sf blackberry jam because it has WAY more flavor than even the most expensive store-bought ones. I want to try your grape jam and see if it will set up without the pectin, too. Not that I object to pectin, I just like super easy!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #429
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Thanks Charski...I have a whack of blueberries I need to make jam out of.
I had several bags of TJ's frozen wild boreal blueberries and I simmered one of them with some sweeteners and a little lemon juice to make a fruit sauce to go over cheesecake. After a day in the fridge, they were a luscious, thick blueberry jam instead. Wonder if they have some natural pectin in the skin?
Old 10-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #430
Gadget Gal

A lot of fruits, in fact most, I think, have varying degrees of pectin naturally present. I used to make jam in my pressure cooker with Splenda and no pectin, just enough to use for a week or two. But when I am canning stuff, I don't take any chances! It's too much work to have something fail. Therefore - I use the pectin.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #431
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I love canning soups for quick low carb meals. Chicken and leek, vegetable beef, hamburger, green bean, all are low carb and really yummy quick meals that are in my pantry. I also have canned beef and canned chicken waiting in the pantry for easy quick low carb meals. Canning is really the low carb cooks' best friend.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #432
Gadget Gal

I have a vat of lentil/kale/ham soup I made that is gonna get canned tomorrow. It's wonderful to open the armoire and see all that canned goodness in there!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #433
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
I have a kale plant. Would you have time to share the recipe?
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #434
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Did you know that kale is a perrenial plant? I didn't.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #435
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
I have a kale plant. Would you have time to share the recipe?
Oh Grammy - I'm such a "throw it in the pot" cook - LOL! But I can tell you generally what I did.

I made mine in my roaster oven so I heated it up with some bacon fat in it first, then threw in a bunch of diced celery, onion, and carrot, plus some chopped bell pepper, cabbage, a very small amount of very finely chopped broccoli - kind of a "whatever's in the fridge" style! Let that cook for a bit, then added chopped/destemmed kale and about 2 tablespoons of chicken stock paste, a 12 oz. beer, and water, plus a 1 pound bag of lentils. I let that come up to a good simmer. Added garlic and onion powders, some Worcestershire sauce, a bit of chili powder, and some Cavender's Greek seasoning. I'm a "taste it as you go" gal so adjusted seasonings as needed for salt/pepper/heat and then let it cook til the kale was very tender and the lentils were plumped and tender. Then I added some diced cooked ham and let THAT simmer for about 30 minutes. I think overall it took a couple hours to cook everything.

Sorry I can give an actual "recipe" but this is how I learned to cook at my mother's elbow and except for exacting stuff like baking, I seldom measure anything!
Old 11-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
Charski glad to hear this is the way others cook too. I am trying to write a cookbook and that is the hardest thing for me to jot everything down as I do it. I measure in my hand for teaspoons and tablespoons. It's just plain hard to create a recipe as you go.
LauraDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #437
Major LCF Poster!

I admire anyone who can create a cookbook with recipes that are tested, repeated, and precisely measured. That takes a lot of patience and organization, and produces something very worthwhile. I'm an "intuitive" cook, putting together ingredients from experimenting and experience, and nothing ever turns out quite the same way twice. I do share recipes sometimes, but wish I had a little more discipline to measure and repeat to ensure consistent results!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #438
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I cook that way too and then something turns out great and I can't remember what I did differently the next time I go to make it.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #439
Gadget Gal

My ex used to say, when I cooked something he really loved, "I'm really going to enjoy this dish now because I know it's never gonna be exactly like THIS again!"

I'm just not a measurer, and I never found a recipe I couldn't tweak to make it better - even my own!
Old 05-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #440
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/174.5/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Bumping for Grammy.
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #441
Senior LCF Member

Does anyone have a SF bread and butter zucchini pickle recipe they love?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #442
Gadget Gal

We've been making bread & butter pickles with the small cucumbers from Costco, but today or tomorrow I'm going to do the same recipe with sliced fresh jalapenos and onions.

If you want the recipe, I can share it! This is the thread - I double the recipe for the liquid part because I like to make lots at once.

Fast and Easy Bread and Butter Pickles

Last edited by Charski; 05-29-2014 at 08:31 AM..
Old 06-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #443
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got some cucumbers from a farmer friend today so I made pickles.

I got 7 qts of dill spears and 7 qts of dill slices. I made the spears with a little heat in them. They look nice...been a while since I made any pickles.

Anyone else canning or making pickles this month?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #444
Gadget Gal

Haven't canned anything lately except a few bread & butter pickled jalapenos slices.

Good for you on all those dills! I bet they're dill-icious! Sorry, couldn't resist....
Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #445
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

lol I have been wanting to make your recipe for the jalapenos...hopefully soon. They sound delicious too!!

I did make a quart of quick pickles in the fridge with the leftover cucumbers. I can never judge how many jars I will need. I guess I need more practice.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #446
Senior LCF Member

I have a 100 year old recipe for pickles (asparagus, green beans, etc.) where you only sterilize the jars and the liquid. The jars sit for 6-8 weeks and ferment. I've been afraid to try it. Has anyone does this? The product turns out crispy so I'm intrigued.