Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I just steam the green beans, too, and add a little olive oil and sea salt to finish. they don't need anything else!

I have in the past planted so many things we can't eat, and I don't want to put up, like yellow squash. We will eat that about twice a week, but two plants will produce enough for five or six families! And I don't like it frozen or canned, so that is one thing I'll buy fresh at the farmer's market. On the other hand, we would eat fresh spinach every night, as well as onions, peppers, and tomatoes. Green beans are a good low carb vegetable to have with anything, but I really like them fresh. I'll try blanching and freezing this year's crop and see if they're better than frozen from the store.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #392
Major LCF Poster!

finally got enough tomatoes to put up. I did 20 quarts today, and hopefully, there will be enough coming in over the next two weeks to do 30-40 quarts more. I would love for them to last the winter, but our tomato crop hasn't been all that great this year.

Last edited by dianafoot; 08-31-2013 at 05:08 PM..
Old 08-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #393
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Oh my gosh your produce looks so beautiful.Your recipes are wonderful!

I planted green beans in succession and
we are still picking like mad. Today I had a nice big ham bone and it went into the
pressure cooker with some of our chicken stock, caramelized onion/garlic and lots and
lot's of green beans. Chugged it for 30 minutes and opened up the lid and put in
more green beans and 1 can of cannellini beans. Let it pressure for 25 more minutes.
Dh ate 3 bowls and said he could eat it all up.

We are also on second crop of cucumbers. First crop was yuk. We changed to another
type of seed and this group has no bumps on the skin and are tasty like Persian cukes.

We will be harvesting enough tomatoes to put up my favorite salsa recipe.
It is very hot here right now after having a moderate and easy summer. Now we
are roasting in our own juices.

Has anyone here made sugar free jalapeno jelly? I found a recipe using Truvia and
will try it.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

I had so many peppers last summer: habaneros, jalapenos, and cayennes--that I made loads of pepper jellies. Here's the recipe that I came up with, including adjustments for the diffferent kinds of peppers:

Diana’s Hot Pepper Jelly
I finally got the time to make hot pepper jelly with my huge crop of cayennes, jalapenos, and habaneros. Oh man, is it good!!! I experimented with the ratio of peppers, vinegar, and sweetener, and I like this more than any I have had, commercial or homemade.

Ingredients:
• 5 cups finely ground cayennes or hot peppers of your choice
• 1 large red bell pepper (I used a yellow bell for habanero jelly, and a green one for jalapeno jelly)
• 7-8 cups sweetener: I used a blend of half xylitol, half erythritol, and about 10 drops of EZsweetz to replace the sugar.
• 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
• 2 packets of no-sugar-needed pectin
• 6-7 drops of red (or yellow or green) food coloring (optional, it gives it a deeper glowing color)

Directions
1. Slit the peppers in half and remove the seeds and ribs*.
2. Chop the peppers in the food processor about 1 cup at a time, until very finely pulverized.
3. Boil the peppers and vinegar and sweeteners together for 2-3 minutes to soften the peppers and dissolve the sweeteners.
4. Sprinkle in the pectin while stirring vigorously.
5. Bring to a full rolling boil that can't be stirred down, and boil for one minute.
6. Taste and adjust sweeteners
7. Ladle into clean, sterile jars, wipe the rims, and put on the clean lids and screw the bands on lightly.
8. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
9. Let cool, making sure all lids seal, and store in a cool, dry place.

This made a soft jelly at first, but it firmed up nicely on sitting. It will crystalize after being opened and refrigerated, but it will go back to normal if microwaved for a minute until liquidy, then allowed to cool.

I don't like the cloudy look of jellies canned with Splenda, but with the E and X as sweeteners, it came out clear and beautiful. I also think E and X, boosted with the concentrated sucralose from EZsweetz, has a much better flavor than Splenda alone.

*Discard, or simmer the ribs and seeds in a cup of vinegar and strain, for the hottest pepper vinegar you have ever tasted (wonderful on barbecue, in hot and sour soup, etc. Just be careful, it’ll pop your eyes right out of your Head!

Last edited by dianafoot; 08-31-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Old 09-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

Disaster in the kitchen! Ladling the last 2 quarts of tomato sauce into freezer bag, and it splits open, and tomato sauce gushes all over the sink, me, the floor, and the counter! Won't use WalMart freezer bags again.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #396
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Wow Diana so sorry about those bags. Thanks for telling us.

I should tell you about Main stay canning jars from walmart. I teach canning and I had a young woman in class who decided to use these jars. I knew nothing about them. I always use Kerr or Ball. Well we used them , while canning 2 jars burst in the water. ( Not a big deal this may happen) Then nothing sealed. About 2 hours after canning I said lets check you tube about these jars. Well that was a wealth of information. They Do Not SEAL. She rushed and got more cases and we canned again. We read that countless woman lost a lot of food with these jars.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post

I should tell you about Main stay canning jars from walmart. They Do Not SEAL. We read that countless woman lost a lot of food with these jars.
Oh my gosh, I am so glad you wrote this. I can pepper jellies, hot peppers, and salsa. I always use Ball or Kerr jars, but I have bought my jars at WM for the past several years--need to check to see if any of them are MainStay.

I definitely won't be using their brand of zip-lock freezer bags for liquids again! In addition to the one that split open yesterday, one of the bags of frozen sauce split open when I was thawing it in warm water a couple of months ago.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Finally! I got enough tomatoes, basil, peppers, and onions to put up a few bags. Garden this year simply drowned with all the rain, but now it's recovering a little. I put in lots of fall veggies this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed. What are you all planting for the fall?

Last edited by dianafoot; 09-07-2013 at 08:39 PM..
Old 09-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #399
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Hi Diana,
What a beautiful crop of tomatoes. I've made a lot of batches of Spicy Tomato Sauce and yesterday I made Tomato Basil Soup for lunch and then used the leftovers to make a marinara sauce for Eggplant Parmesan.

We have broccoli, onions, cauliflower and cabbage seedlings waiting to be planted in a few more weeks. I need to plant some spinach and lettuce. I have 2 large broccoli plants and sweet potatoes already in the ground.

My kale and okra are still producing and I have about 8 spaghetti squash and 5 eggplants needing to be harvested.
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, Grammy G, I am impressed! Do you put up your vegetables? If so, how? I make a lot of tomato sauce to put up and freeze my green beans and basil and make pickles, but don't know what to do with all the extra greens--lettuce, collards, spinach, etc. Sounds like you have a fabulous garden!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Hi Diana,
We were so blessed by the outcome of our garden this year. I'm learning as I go! :-) We've had small garden's in the past but this year we grew a lot of new things.
- I cut my okra and freeze it.
- I can or freeze(after lightly steaming) my green beans.
- I'm getting ready to freeze my extra eggplant.
- Tomatoes: I freeze, pressure can whole or make tomato sauce.
- I freeze my raspberries to use in smoothies.

The other veggies/fruit we just eat as they ripen since there hasn't been enough to 'put up'.

I've been reading how to harvest my stevia. I'm excited about doing that since it's so expensive in the stores. I'm supposed to wait to let the leaves get as sweet as possible and then harvest before the first frost.

My garden really helped with our grocery bill this summer. I'm hoping we will be successful with a fall/winter garden, too. :-)
Old 09-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #402
Major LCF Poster!

thanks, Grammy G. In past years, I have just given away most of the overage of things like squash, lettuce, greens, and basil, and even took baskets and baskets of Juliet tomatoes and basil to work to share after I'd filled up the freezer with tomato sauce.

This year I tried to be thoughtful about what we would eat a lot of or what I could freeze or can. I love squash and zucchini, but I don't like either frozen or canned, for instance. We'll eat all the spinach I can grow, but we don't eat more than 2-3 salads a week. We eat a lot of green beans and onions, and I use radishes for "new Potatoes" in several dishes. So I'm putting in lots of those things plus Swiss chard, beets, and snow peas. I wish I could grow broccoli or cauliflower but never had any luck with those.

Other fall plant ideas anyone?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaarren
Stats: 204/191/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8-22-08
You gals are something to admire!

I'll try some of these recipes, if the garden cooperates.
Kaarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #404
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Oh my gosh, I am so glad you wrote this. I can pepper jellies, hot peppers, and salsa. I always use Ball or Kerr jars, but I have bought my jars at WM for the past several years--need to check to see if any of them are MainStay.

I definitely won't be using their brand of zip-lock freezer bags for liquids again! In addition to the one that split open yesterday, one of the bags of frozen sauce split open when I was thawing it in warm water a couple of months ago.
There jars have no writing on them like Ball & Kerr do. So sorry to hear about your bags splitting.

I freeze my spinach, kale, and bright lights chard by blanching then putting in ice water and freezing in my ice cube trays. I use this in soup and protein shakes or smoothies. So all I have to do is drop one in my shake in my vita mix.

I also make spinach & walnut pesto.

I've been drying tomatos & zucchini so that I can make powder out of them. To add to different dishes.
The dryed tomatos taste great as a snack.

Everybody's abundance looks great!!!!!!!!!

Happy canning.

Last edited by rosethorns; 09-08-2013 at 03:13 PM..
Old 09-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #405
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I freeze my spinach, kale, and bright lights chard by blanching then putting in ice water and freezing in my ice cube trays. I use this in soup and protein shakes or smoothies. So all I have to do is drop one in my shake in my vita mix.

I also make spinach & walnut pesto.

I've been drying tomatos & zucchini so that I can make powder out of them. To add to different dishes.
The dryed tomatos taste great as a snack.
I love the idea of spinach and walnut pesto. How do you make it? Would chard work just as well? And do you have a dehydrator for drying your tomatoes and zucchini? What great ideas.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #406
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes I have an Excalibur dehydrator to dry my veggies.

If I remember Diana I will put it up tomorrow.

Yes the chard works great. You do know you won't get the same texture as fresh. When my chard is fresh I also use it to make wraps( sandwich wraps). Really delish.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #407
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I love the idea of spinach and walnut pesto. How do you make it? Would chard work just as well? And do you have a dehydrator for drying your tomatoes and zucchini? What great ideas.
I found it really quick.I freeze this too.

Spinach pesto

4 c. spinach ( cleaned )
1 c. toasted walnuts ( to toast use a dry fry pan )
1 1/4 c olive oil or favorite oil
1 tsp. garlic clove chopped
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 c. parmesan cheese ( I use nutritional yeast here---allergic to dairy)
salt & pepper to taste

Whirl in blender or vita-mix. I double this or triple if I have alot of spinach to freeze for pesto.

I love this spinach pesto.
I reread what you said about the chard. I think it would work. I love the stems sauteed in onions & bacon. We could come up with one. That's how I did the spinach one. Put things together until I came up with one that tasted good years ago..
I liked the idea of basil pesto but I don't like basil. Now nobody stone me.

Last edited by rosethorns; 09-08-2013 at 07:41 PM..
Old 09-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #408
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I liked the idea of basil pesto but I don't like basil. Now nobody stone me.
hahahaha! I can relate! I have acquired a taste for basil but it took awhile. Meanwhile thank you for all the information and ideas! BTW, I love nutritional yeast and would rather use it instead of Parmesan.

Last edited by dianafoot; 09-08-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Old 09-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #409
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
hahahaha! I can relate! I have acquired a taste for basil but it took awhile. Meanwhile thank you for all the information and ideas! BTW, I love nutritional yeast and would rather use it instead of Parmesan.
Very welcome.

Cool!!! I really like nutritional yeast. I use to do my kale chips w/ olive oil and salt and garlic. Pretty simple. But now I make lazy girl's recipe w/ nutritional yeast. So yum. So much flavor in her recipe. If you want it I'll link to it.

Last edited by rosethorns; 09-08-2013 at 08:32 PM..
Old 09-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #410
Senior LCF Member

My cabbage has worms. Does anyone know how to 'organically' get rid of them. They seem to hide during the day so I can't pick them off.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #411
Blabbermouth!!!

Is it worms or slugs. I use 7 drops of liquid dish detergent in a spray bottle and spray the plant. I use this alot.

slugs LOL I use a shallow dish and beer. I buy 1 beer at the beginning of gardening season and it works all season. In the morning they are drunk and in the dish.

I hope that helps.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

I know I'm a late-comer here, but I have just discovered dilly beans! Trying to figure out what to do with those August green beans, I stumbled upon pickled green beans. Seems like everybody knew about these already!

Last edited by dianafoot; 09-22-2013 at 07:51 PM..
Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #413
Blabbermouth!!!

Diana WOW they look lovely. I also just learned about dilly beans .I went to the beach for vacation and had V-8 juice w/ dilly beans. Loved 'em. Where have they been all my life.

I have pics too. I did dilly beans , pickled onions, beets,bell peppers.
Dried celery leaves. I'm getting ready to pick teh last of my tomatos.

I think I'm going to over winter my bright lites chard and brussels sprouts.

As soon as I find my batteries I will put up pics.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #414
Major LCF Poster!

brrrrr, fall is finally here. My garden still has bell peppers, chard, onions, green beans, spinach, basil, beets, radishes, juliet tomatoes, and cayenne peppers--which ones should I bring in? Which ones will survive a frost?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #415
Senior LCF Member

Diana... have you looked for a forecast of when your first frost may be? I think that possibly the onions may be the only thing that would survive but I'm not positive. We've pulled up everything but our hot peppers. We put in a couple hundred onions, cabbage, broccoli, swiss chard and cauliflower for a fall crop. I read that you can extend your crop into the fall by putting straw bales around the veggies and making a cold frame from a window laying on top of the straw.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #416
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Onions and maybe radishes, if you pile some straw or mulch over them, will probably be OK for a while longer - the stuff that's above ground, I'd bring in though.

We went to the local apple farm (well, 40 minute drive) and got enough apples to make 26 pints of applesauce, which we canned last weekend, and 4 big vacuum-sealed bags of dehydrated apple slices. I don't want to see any apples for a while!

I also just destemmed two of the big clamshell containers of grapes from Costco today, and will make grape jam tomorrow. AND a friend gave me a BIG bag of persimmons - they're not ripe yet, but when they are, I'll make some persimmon bread and some persimmon jam. My larder is getting so pretty!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #417
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I live in Oklahoma and I have had chard, beets, onions, spinach and radishes in the ground way into December. Even picked a cabbage Christmas day one year. The others you list don't even want a frost. I'd bring in the peppers, tomatoes, beans and hot peppers.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #418
Gadget Gal

Well so far today - I've canned up 14 half-pints of sugarfree red flame grape jam; and am "in process" with some SF mixed berry jam. Should get 7 half-pints of that. Both had overages too, so that goes right into the fridge.

My steam canner holds 7 jars at a time so I've got it worked out where the batches come out pretty dang close to that!

I'll take some pics later, if I remember!
Old 10-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #419
Major LCF Poster!

wow, Charski, your larder must be beautiful! what a great idea to go to a local apple farm for apples, and the grape jam sounds awesome. Care to share your sugar-free jam recipe?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #420
Gadget Gal

Left side is sugarfree red grape jam, right side is sugarfree mixed berries jam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small grape and berry jams.jpg (17.0 KB, 9 views)