Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #361
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmburk View Post
This week we did 17 qts of Kosher dills. I did it the easy way, Mrs Wages mix.
I was looking for the like button Dorcas.

They look beautiful.

I just cut out my spring red raspberry canes that were spent. I have 15 left that are for my 2nd round of red raspberries. They will be next springs raspberries.

You want to cut them out becauce they are attached to the new canes.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #362
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
Thanks so much for sharing your recipe--they all are beautiful--I will be making this for sure! can I ask how much your recipe makes per batch? trying to gauge the size of jars I need. thanks again!

Plus-I need to get some Lavash to make crackers--I will be needing some crackers! do you make those in the oven and use spices or anything on them?
Honestly, I can't remember how much one batch makes. I think I sterilized 12 half-pint jelly jars (6 pints) for the batch above, but I made jam & jelly several times last summer and don't remember the quantities for each.

Lavash crackers are so easy: just spray one big rectangular lavash with cooking spray, lay that on a piece of parchment paper, and sprinkle on a little salt and add any herbs that you think would be interesting (rosemary, season blend, etc.). Then score with a pizza cutter into the size crackers you want and bake at 350 until golden. You can break them apart neatly when they're cooled.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #363
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Dorcas, the pickles look yummy.

So does the pepper jelly, Diana. Yum!!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #364
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/172 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
No problem-I would be doing the same-that's how I did my zucchini relish-just keep adding to use things up and be prepared with the jars! thanks for the lavash reminder too-I will be buying those and making them--I always forget to buy them but with the jelly -I will be making a pig out of myself again! love that combo! thanks Diana
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #365
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
This week we did 17 qts of Kosher dills. I did it the easy way, Mrs Wages mix.

That's the Kosher mix my hubby likes, so easy. What's interesting is, he doesn't like the same brand bread & butter mix, he thinks it tastes 'spicier'. I use a Sunset Refrigerator Bread & Butter Pickle recipe for that. We like the chips cut 1/4-inch.

Last edited by watcher513; 07-31-2013 at 06:27 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

Why is it that the critters want one bite of everything in the garden? Almost every tomato and pepper has a stinkbug hole in it.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #367
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Dang critters!! I hate that.

We were given a big sackful of plums - 3 varieties. Yesterday I took the Santa Rosas (the most plentiful in the sack) and pitted them, then pureed in the Vitamix - ended up with a gallon of puree! DH and I then made 11 half-pint jars plus about another half-pint worth at the end of the two batches of DELICIOUS sugarfree plum jam.

Today we took all the Italian plums, halved and pitted them and have them in the Excalibur dehydrator. It make 5 trays of halves. Can't wait to see how those come out.

We still have the red plums left but there aren't very many and DH is looking forward to just eating those tomorrow.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #368
Major LCF Poster!

When I was a kid, my grandmother made damson plum pie whenever we visited her. It was my very favorite sweet in the whole wide world. Weirdly, she attributed the coconut cream cake to me (my mother's favorite) and the damson plum pie to my mother. We used to laugh about the mixup, but we were very serious about our respective likes!

Now as an adult, I do not like the plums in the supermarket. They are a bit sour and mealy and tasteless and nothing like what I grew up with. Wild plums have the intense flavor and wonderful tartness, but I don't have a dependable source for them. Where do your plums come from? what kind of plums should I be looking for? Wonder if I could grow good plums around here, and if so, what kind?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #369
Gadget Gal

Diana, these came from a friend's trees. I know one was a Santa Rosa but not sure what varieties the other two actually are - one is the small, rather pointy, yellow-fleshed Italian plum type - sweet and good, with a non-cling pit - and those are the ones currently in the dehydrator. I'm not sure what kind the red-skinned ones are, but they're sweet too.

The Santa Rosa are a tart/sweet plum with a cling pit - hard to cut up for the jam, but it was so worth it!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #370
Blabbermouth!!!

LOL the yellow fleshed one are called Italian plums. I'm not sure what the last one is.

Have you ladies ever heard of Plouts ? Some call them Dinasaur eggs. They are a cross between plums and apricots. That is what I was told. They are delish.
I can take a pic if you want.

I dislike some of the critters who eat our veggies Diana. Your tomatos still look great.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #371
Gadget Gal

Yep, I knew the Italian ones, just don't know the red ones!

I've eaten pluots - they're OK. I'm not a huge fan of the texture of fresh apricots and the pluots were more that way than plum-like to me, but I do love the flavor of them. I love apricot jam or pie or glaze or whatever - just not fresh out of hand so much!
Old 08-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #372
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Yep, I knew the Italian ones, just don't know the red ones!

I've eaten pluots - they're OK. I'm not a huge fan of the texture of fresh apricots and the pluots were more that way than plum-like to me, but I do love the flavor of them. I love apricot jam or pie or glaze or whatever - just not fresh out of hand so much!
I would know what the red ones were if I saw them. Sorry Char.

I like plouts not love. I love apricots.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #373
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm sorry I can't remember who ask me for the s/f syrups for pancake and waffles. Here it is.

Blueberry syrup for pancakes

4 cups blueberries
4 cups water
3 tsp. glucomannan
1/2 tsp liquid sucralose ( 2 cups sweetness )
12 packs of truvia
1/2 c. Xylitol ( or Eyrithitol ) powdered
1/2 c. lemon juice

Cook blueberries w/ water and mash the berries. Add sweetners and mix throughly. Take out about a cup of the cooked syrup , add gluc. fast then pour back into berry pot . Mix well , make sure it is dissolved.Take off of the heat & add lemon juice.Ladle into jars and process in a water
bath for 10 mins. make 4 pints.

I use this recipe for any berry. I hope you enjoy. I did blueberry and blackberry syrup this morning.

I'm sorry it took so long, but I do it without thinking about it. So I needed to make sure I was writing it down right. You can use it for pancakes , ice cream, on top of cheesecake. and more.

I will use frozen berries too.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #374
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Esther... have you ever had a problem canning squash? I read it wasn't recommended. I have a lot of zucchini I had hoped to can until I read the warnings. What do you think?

Georgene

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Squash Pickles

8 c. sliced yellow squash
1 c. sliced onion rings
1 T. uniodized salt
1 c. green peppers chopped
2 c. apple cider vinegar
3 c. s/f sweetner
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. mustard seed

Combine squash & onions, sprinkle with salt. Let stand 1 hr. Combine peppers, vinegar, sweetner, celery seed, and mustad seed. Bring to a boil.
Put squash & onions in hot jars, cover with vinegar mixture & seal jars. Process 5 mins.

Ess

Ok Sheila R what do ya think!!!!
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #375
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Diana, these came from a friend's trees. I know one was a Santa Rosa but not sure what varieties the other two actually are - one is the small, rather pointy, yellow-fleshed Italian plum type - sweet and good, with a non-cling pit - and those are the ones currently in the dehydrator. I'm not sure what kind the red-skinned ones are, but they're sweet too.

The Santa Rosa are a tart/sweet plum with a cling pit - hard to cut up for the jam, but it was so worth it!
Charski, your plum descriptions inspired me to order a plum tree to plant in the fall! I also ordered a peach tree--we'll see what happens!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #376
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
Esther... have you ever had a problem canning squash? I read it wasn't recommended. I have a lot of zucchini I had hoped to can until I read the warnings. What do you think?

Georgene
Georgene

I make zucchini pickles every year.I pressure can. I use alum to make them crispy. Zucchini pickles are Not that crispy anyway.

I also freeze grated zucchini to use for , zucchini bread or muffins, to use for moistness in cookies, for casseroles and other dishes.

I make a lot of dishes w/ zucchini like breaded rounds w/ crushed pork rinds or shredded coconut and bake or fry.
I just remembered zucchini relish for fish and chicken.

Hope that helps.

I'm off to pick wild blackberries. YAY.

Last edited by rosethorns; 08-08-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Old 08-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #377
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Charski, your plum descriptions inspired me to order a plum tree to plant in the fall! I also ordered a peach tree--we'll see what happens!
Ooo, nice! I wish we had enough sun/warmth for fruit trees here. The Meyer lemon and Bearss lime both love it but we're too shady and cool in this yard for stone fruits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Georgene

I'm off to pick wild blackberries. YAY.
I'm so jealous!!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #378
Gadget Gal

A friend of ours emailed me yesterday that she had strawberries for us - her Dad is a grower - so she gave us 6 of the 1 pound clamshells of berries! Which, aside from some DH ate and a few I gave my Mom, are now residing in one of 12 half-pint jars as lovely sugarfree strawberry jam. Yum. Tomorrow - label and put in the canned goods armoire!
Old 08-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #379
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/185/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Our tomatoes are finally ripening. My husband picked 5 baskets yesterday off of the 41 roma plants we planted. I canned about 30 qts of juice previously, a few at a time. So this picking was plentiful. I got 20 more jars of juice, then made 3 large batches of spaghetti sauce. Canned 56 jars. It is so delicious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg August2013 161.jpg (39.1 KB, 6 views)
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #380
Senior LCF Member

I would love the spaghetti sauce recipe! I made some but we are not too crazy about it.
Thanks!
Leigh[/QUOTE]

Spaghetti Sauce

3 gal. tomato pulp
3 lbs onions
1 hot pepper
1 red sweet pepper and 1 green pepper
6 bay leaves
1 pt oil
2 c. white vinegar
4-12 oz cans tomato paste
Blend well. Add
1 1/2 c. sugar (sweetener to replace)
4 tsp paprika
4 TB basil
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 c. salt
4 TB oregano
2 Tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp red pepper
Simmer together. Thicken with 1 cup thermflo mixed with 1 cup tomato juice. ( used gluc powder, prob. 2-3 TB)
Fill jars and bring to a full rolling boil in a water bath for 10 min.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #381
Major LCF Poster!

best chioppino we've ever had! Made tomato sauce from fresh garden tomatoes, garlic, and onions. Then added shrimp broth (from boiling shrimp shells), white wine, chicken broth, sauteed onions, peppers, and basil from the garden, added some more chopped fresh tomatoes and some chunks of rainbow trout, local shrimp, and mussels. WOW!

Old 08-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #382
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow Diana & Dorcas lookin really good. YUM!!!!!

So mouth watering.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #383
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Our tomatoes are finally ripening. My husband picked 5 baskets yesterday off of the 41 roma plants we planted. I canned about 30 qts of juice previously, a few at a time. So this picking was plentiful. I got 20 more jars of juice, then made 3 large batches of spaghetti sauce. Canned 56 jars. It is so delicious.
WOW! you have been busy! 41 plants is quite a lot--do you live on a farm? I have only 10 plants and I put up enough tomato sauce to last our family for a year, and we use a 2-quart bag at least once a week. (After cooking down the sauce, I pack it in gallon freezer bags laid flat in the freezer). Do you ever sell some of the tomato sauce or juice that you put up? I love your huge stock pots!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #384
Senior LCF Member

We live on a farmette, 10 acres, about 1/3 of which is wooded. I planted the 41 plants because my mom bought a flat of tomatoes plants for $3. I forget how many that was, but I put in 1 whole row. That way I was hoping to do large quantities at once, because I don't like to mess with small amounts. The last few years I would buy 3 bushels so we could get them all done at once. This year we grew them, the picking part doesn't thrill me, but my husband is willing to do it. I think I will do another batch or 2 of sauce because we were out of it for the past month or so. I make spaghetti for the family once a week, and also use the sauce for pizza once a week. They all just love it.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #385
Major LCF Poster!

Dorcas, do your tomatoes come in all at once? Mine keep producing from early August through November, or until we have a hard freeze. Sauce-making is a continuous thing around here!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #386
Senior LCF Member

No, but I had only gotten 3/4 of a basket the week before. Then all at once there were 5 baskets ripe and ready! And I think there will be more soon. When I have enough, we will just not pick any more.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #387
Major LCF Poster!

total surprise in my garden today. Thought I only had little flowers on my green bean plants. These are haricort verts and they are exquisitely tiny and tender.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #388
Senior LCF Member

Hi Diana,
We grew Romano green beans this year. They are very good. They kind of taste buttery. I'm curious about your green beans. Can you tell me a bit about them?
Old 08-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #389
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
Hi Diana,
We grew Romano green beans this year. They are very good. They kind of taste buttery. I'm curious about your green beans. Can you tell me a bit about them?
These are the tiny French green beans they serve in high-class restaurants. They are a little bit nutty tasting, tender, but with a good chew. I was so excited to find a packet of the seeds at WalMart!

I planted them about 6 weeks ago and am now wishing I had done successive plantings. I fear they are a one-shot deal, since all the green beans appeared at once and were all the same size. I planted rows about 5' long on either side of my fence I use for a trellis, but they are not vining plants. They just formed small bushes about 2' high.

I have a much larger planting of Blue Lake green beans that are still flowering and the vines are huge and very healthy. We'll see how they compare. Your Romano green beans sound wonderful--are those seeds widely available?
Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #390
Senior LCF Member

Diana,
I sure will look for that name of green bean for next year to plant alongside my Romano. How do you cook your green bean?

I think the Romano is pretty common. I found it at a local seed store. They are Heirloom so we saved some of the seeds to replant next year. That helps keep the cost of gardening down for us.

I lightly steam the bean and then toss in grape seed oil with some garlic.

I have a small worm eating a way at my broccoli right now. I need to go a huntin' this morning. I hate to use pesticides!

Grammy