Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #331
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Here are my raspberries and that is me.

Raspberries 2013.jpg
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #332
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
NICE raspberry bushes, Essy!

You look great, Lady!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #333
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
wow, those are some huge raspberry bushes! Enjoy!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #334
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Sooooooooooo I am having my first Mortgage Lifter today for dinner.

This is an amazment of its own. I did not have sun for the first 20 days of June.
This is the first time in 10 years up here to have a tomato in July. I'm estatic beyond belief.
that's amazing! My mortgage lifters are about the size of marbles. Juliets are getting ripe, though...
Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #335
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
NICE raspberry bushes, Essy!

You look great, Lady!
Thanks Char that's the first picture after cancer and I have hair!!!Getting better everyday.
Char we would love to see a picture of you.hint,hint.....
Diana looks great in her new pic of her and hubby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
that's amazing! My mortgage lifters are about the size of marbles. Juliets are getting ripe, though...
OOOO Diana I'm so excited about this tomato I get to eat it for dinner.

My red rasphberries are loving life. Yum. This year I have my first GOLD
raspberry bush. You would be amazed by the taste and they are rare.

Last edited by rosethorns; 07-08-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Old 07-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #336
Major LCF Poster!

My daughter is growing raspberries in her garden in the mountains. I always thought they needed cooler weather--what do you think? I live in the piedmont of NC and assumed they wouldn't grow here. BTW, I LOVE your picture--so vibrant and joyful!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #337
Blabbermouth!!!

Diana I don't know where Piedmont NC is . Do you have any kind of winter? I have no snow but it gets pretty cold up here. Raspberries need a cold period. My sister grew them from my starts in a 6 foot long rubbermaid container in TX. I told her to put 2 bags of ice once a week all winter. She now has raspberriews and I didn't know if it would work and it did. YAY!!!!! You don't need mountains but you do need cold.
If you need some help just holler. Ask any question. I've learned alot now. LOL.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #338
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Esther, thanks for the reply about the raspberries. Piedmont means "foot hills" in some language (French?) We used to have winters with snow, but haven't seen much in the last 4 years. We do have some winter, though, from November-March where the temp regularly gets below freezing at night. My Juliet tomatoes keep producing right up through Thanksgiving until we have a really hard frost.

I might try those raspberries-- seems like they would be fun to grow. Do they need full sun or do they need a bit of shade during the day? My garden gets direct sun for 12-14 hours/day during the summer.

Last edited by dianafoot; 07-09-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Old 07-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #339
Blabbermouth!!!

Full sun Diana. They love full sun in all their glory.You want to be able to control them. They multiply very rapidly.
You only need 1 plant and by the next year you will 30 plants.You have plenty of cold winter to do it. It's like they are dormant for 3 or 4 months and come back in the spring. Mine are Heckler raspberries The first years was about 1 cup of berries . Now I'm on my 3rd year and I've already pick 2 gallons of berries and these will have berries again in August. I'm not done either.

Here is how I do it. But this is really teaching myself. And old friend taught me this when I wanted to try. You can't see it but I have 4 metal fence posts w/ 5 pieces of wire to contain them all the way around the bushes . Try to image this. Then plant your plants in the middle. When they grow this year they are the ones that will have berries next year.

When they are done with their raspberry parade and you pick them. The canes you got the berries from this year you will pull them when they are done producing. I do this in the fall.the first year I did not know to do this and I had to wait until the next year to pull them out.

Diana am I explaining this well? If not please tell me.

Last edited by rosethorns; 07-09-2013 at 11:40 AM..
Old 07-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #340
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you so much, this is very helpful!

I do have some questions:
When you say that you put fencing around them to contain them, do you leave spaces for yourself to walk into the middle? We have a gazillion deer around here, so putting them in an enclosed space is necessary anyway. When you pull out the canes do you cut them back or pull them up by the roots? And do you plant the plants in the spring or in the fall? You are so sweet to explain raspberry planting to me!

Last edited by dianafoot; 07-09-2013 at 02:04 PM..
Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #341
Blabbermouth!!!

You are very welcome. We also have a lot of deer. no space to walk in between , but you want to make enough room to put your hands in. Raspberries love each other alot. They have thorns too. Mine are 4footx6foot . If I could use a peice of paper to draw it . Soooooo put 4 dots on a peice of paper in a rectangle shape ( they are yr. post) now you are going to use baling wire and go around each post, then anchor it. Your raspberry bushes are planted and in 3 years you will have 100 plants . Lol I'm not kidding.

You can pull or cut them. Raspberries have runners that's how you get so many.
I plant in the spring but I just gave a friend 3 red, & 1 gold raspberry. He will plant them in the fall. Your daughter would lovely give you some plants, but please plant them in the fall.

O yeah they love acid soil. If you have any pine needles use them for mulch.I just made my gold set up. Do you want me to take a picture? They are not hiding yet.

I hope I'm helping.

Last edited by rosethorns; 07-09-2013 at 02:34 PM..
Old 07-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

That's great! I would love a picture. My daughter gave me some plants last year but I didn't know what to do with them--I'm sure she'll be happy to give me more! Our soil is very acid (our state is the pine capital of the world, I think), so we should be good for planting. Thanks so much for all the tips! Diana

Last edited by dianafoot; 07-09-2013 at 03:47 PM..
Old 07-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #343
Blabbermouth!!!

Diana have yr. daughter put them in the cheap 1 gallon pots and then transplant in the fall.

I will get a pic in a couple of days. Tomorrow is my shopping day.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #344
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Esther--here I am again and here you are with more info! I planted 6 Heritage sticks this year-they were raspberry plants-2 didn't make it but the other 4 have survived to produce a few berries-of course I have questions-they are supposed to produce twice a season also-but do the canes die out and turn brown and then you pull or cut them? I fear cutting a new growth where berries will be next year-your plants are huge-that has to be a lot of cutting! do you cut all the way back to the ground? after the first frost or before? sorry for all the questions-I love the fence idea--I didn't do that and planted them up beside the barn-I didn't think they would get that large-I had no idea! thanks for the info

Great pic btw!!!

Jeanne

Last edited by jbatchelor; 07-26-2013 at 05:13 AM..
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #345
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
Esther--here I am again and here you are with more info! I planted 6 Heritage sticks this year-they were raspberry plants-2 didn't make it but the other 4 have survived to produce a few berries-of course I have questions-they are supposed to produce twice a season also-but do the canes die out and turn brown and then you pull or cut them? I fear cutting a new growth where berries will be next year-your plants are huge-that has to be a lot of cutting! do you cut all the way back to the ground? after the first frost or before? sorry for all the questions-I love the fence idea--I didn't do that and planted them up beside the barn-I didn't think they would get that large-I had no idea! thanks for the info

Great pic btw!!!

I love love that you got raspberry plants. I didn't know alot about them when I started.

Your 4 plants will give you a small amount of berries the first year. By the thrid year you will have gallons of berries. Make sure your soil is pretty acid. If you have any pine needles use them for your mulch.

The fence idea is to contain them otherwise you wlll have them everywhere, everywhere. You say up against the barn thats good.
I will put my pic up today so you guys can see what I mean. They go staight up to a point then they will fall over. Right now I'm looking at 24 new green canes that I will keep. I pull mine or cut them before frost, because they will change color of the stalk from green to brown.
I learned last year to pull them before frost. I'm just now on my second fruiting. Your second fruiting this year are your spring fruiting next year. After they are done you can pull them.
Am I explaining this right? Please question me if you don't understand.

You should be able to see your new canes coming in now or they have been coming in.
I forgot to take the pics for Diana. I just tried to take some and my batteries need to be recharged. I'm charging now. I will put it up today. promise.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #346
Major LCF Poster!

Ok-if I have this straight--you pull the ones that have bloomed and produced fruit this year and have turned brown-leave the new green ones alone! they haven't produced yet! I do have a few of those already! I have to be careful where I weed--I may have done the wrong thing--I put Cyprus mulch down around them to help with the weeds? I do have some pine trees though and will do that next time! the place I ordered from--Gurney's seed are so good to work with-they are going to send me two new plants next spring to replace the two that didn't survive and so I will have even more plants next year! I was wondering if deer eat raspberries--we have such a problem with deer--so far I haven't noticed any damage to the plants but I figure maybe they haven't found them yet-they have found our garden for sure!

Thanks Esther--I love reading here--it is a fountain of knowledge--I was wondering about the raspberry syrup you keep mentioning--is it lowcarb and what do you do with it?

I have been making the zucchini relish that someone posted upthread--it is really helping me get rid of my zucchini--a great recipe and tastes so close to the one I had used for years with green tomatoes and cabbage etc--love this one!!

thanks again Esther--I think I have it! looking forward to having raspberry plants like yours! oh I do have a question--do you fertilize or do anything for them?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #347
Blabbermouth!!!

I use steer manure that is in the bags in the spring every year. I used 8 bags in my whole pie shape.

Yes you pull the browns ones. The green ones are for next years crop. Mine are all organic.I am getting ready to pull my spring ones. They will come up every where. They are runners.

I took a pic and I will put it up next.Mine are also Hecklers. So glad they are going to replace them. I started with 3 and the multiply like crazy
I'm not sure what raspberry syrup you are asking about. Please refresh me. I use almost all these recipes. The squash pickles are great.

When they poured chemo in my brain I don't remember a lot of things. Sorry.

Last edited by rosethorns; 07-26-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Old 07-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #348
Blabbermouth!!!

Ok everybody here is my gold raspberry with the 4 steel post and baling wire wrapped around 4 times.

I'm hoping you can see it.
Click on them to make them larger.

raspberr & pizza 050.jpg

Here you can see the 4 green post or at least 2.

raspberr & pizza 051.jpg

raspberr & pizza 052.jpg

They are against my shed. This will be huge in 3 years. This is how I started the red ones.

When I got the gold one there was one gold cane with a stick holding it up. Now I have 9 new canes coming up around the one I got.They are about 2 feet tall right now.

Last edited by rosethorns; 07-26-2013 at 11:33 AM..
Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #349
Blabbermouth!!!

You can see in the middle of the gold one ( click it ) that it is lighter in color, that is the one I'll pull out very soon.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #350
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I canned 3 quarts of raspberry syrup & 4 strawberry syrup. DH is very happy.

I also made 3 gallons of cauliflouwer chow chow using CL technique. Very busy day.
Esther-I don't have a clue if I am doing this quote thing right--this is the place where I saw you mention the syrup-let's see if this works or if I messed up royally!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

hey-it worked! Thanks for pics-I am feeling better about putting mine next to the barn now--looks so much like your golden ones! I am anxious to get some real berries next year! thanks for all the information! Maybe soon I will be smart enough to try pictures...

thanks Esther!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #352
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Esther-I don't have a clue if I am doing this quote thing right--this is the place where I saw you mention the syrup-let's see if this works or if I messed up royally!
Hit the quote on the lower right handside of the post and it will quote.

That one is DH's sugar syrup.

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT I make a s/f pancake syrup with raspberries and or strawberries and I can it .

Do you want that recipe?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #353
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/174.5/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Oh I'd like that recipe, the pancake syrup.
I have been very busy this summer. Just pulled out the beanstalks, don't wanna see another bean this season! I picked 2- 5 gal. buckets each time they were ready to pick. That meant getting up at 6 AM to pick because it's been so hot here. I have about 60 qts. in the freezer, so enough beans. Now cukes are growing like crazy, we did 16 qts. of banana pickles because I didn't check on them often enough, they got enormous. Now I need to do dill pickles. And the beets are ready to pull. I am going to cube and freeze them this year. Tomatoes are not ripe yet. Soon I hope.

dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #354
Major LCF Poster!

Sure I would love that recipe--I will keep it for next year-and the year after when I am planning on a bumper crop! thanks for the recipe--I have been out picking wax beans this evening--I have never planted them before but the price at the store for a can was so high I decided it was time for me to plant a row! I will be breaking and washing tomorrow and canning... I am hoping to try canning different things every year--I love to experiment!

Thanks Esther!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #355
Blabbermouth!!!

I will put it up. I just want to run through it one more time, Jeanne and Dorcus.

You are very welcome Jeanne.

Dorcas you go girl. I use to can like you when I had more a people at home.
I canned 12 pints of beets. I'm trying to get some yellow heirloom beets growing so I can plant them for fall. I had red and candy cane beets so far this year.

I going to check the feild for blackberries . I think it is time to pick.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #356
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Some years back, Cousin Sally introduced me to Hotter ‘n Hell Hot Pepper Jelly. A jar of that, a box of Ritz, and a block of cream cheese later, I was in heaven! Thought it would be good to try to recreate in my own kitchen with my very own fiery habaneros and cayennes. And, of course, I had to make it sugar-free. Think I have a winner:

This looks wonderful--do you have a recipe you can share? I just picked some hot peppers today and have extras that I need to use up--I love this in the high carb recipe~ thanks in advance
Old 07-31-2013, 05:52 AM   #357
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This looks wonderful--do you have a recipe you can share? I just picked some hot peppers today and have extras that I need to use up--I love this in the high carb recipe~ thanks in advance
Diana’s Hot Pepper Jelly
I finally got the time to make hot pepper jelly with my huge crop of cayennes, jalapenos, and habaneros. Oh man, is it good!!! I experimented with the ratio of peppers, vinegar, and sweetener, and I like this more than any I have had, commercial or homemade.

Ingredients:
• 5 cups finely ground cayennes or hot peppers of your choice
• 1 large red bell pepper (I used a yellow bell for habanero jelly, and a green one for jalapeno jelly)
• 7-8 cups sweetener: I used a blend of half xylitol, half erythritol, and about 10 drops of EZsweetz to replace the sugar.
• 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
• 2 packets of no-sugar-needed pectin
• 6-7 drops of red (or yellow or green) food coloring (optional, it gives it a deeper glowing color)

Directions
1. Slit the peppers in half and remove the seeds and ribs*.
2. Chop the peppers in the food processor about 1 cup at a time, until very finely pulverized.
3. Boil the peppers and vinegar and sweeteners together for 2-3 minutes to soften the peppers and dissolve the sweeteners.
4. Sprinkle in the pectin while stirring vigorously.
5. Bring to a full rolling boil that can't be stirred down, and boil for one minute.
6. Taste and adjust sweeteners
7. Ladle into clean, sterile jars, wipe the rims, and put on the clean lids and screw the bands on lightly.
8. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
9. Let cool, making sure all lids seal, and store in a cool, dry place.

This made a soft jelly at first, but it firmed up nicely on sitting. It will crystalize after being opened and refrigerated, but it will go back to normal if microwaved for a minute until liquidy, then allowed to cool.

I don't like the cloudy look of jellies canned with Splenda, but with the E and X as sweeteners, it came out clear and beautiful. I also think E and X, boosted with the concentrated sucralose from EZsweetz, has a much better flavor than Splenda alone.

*Discard, or simmer the ribs and seeds in a cup of vinegar and strain, for the hottest pepper vinegar you have ever tasted (wonderful on barbecue, in hot and sour soup, etc. Just be careful, it’ll pop your eyes right out of your head!)

Cayenne, Habanero, and jalapeno jams on goat cheese and Joseph's Lavash crackers

Last edited by dianafoot; 07-31-2013 at 05:54 AM..
Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #358
Blabbermouth!!!

That looks lovely Diana!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #359
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe--they all are beautiful--I will be making this for sure! can I ask how much your recipe makes per batch? trying to gauge the size of jars I need. thanks again!

Plus-I need to get some Lavash to make crackers--I will be needing some crackers! do you make those in the oven and use spices or anything on them?

Last edited by jbatchelor; 07-31-2013 at 07:56 AM..
Old 07-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #360
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/174.5/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
This week we did 17 qts of Kosher dills. I did it the easy way, Mrs Wages mix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july 2013 018.jpg (45.6 KB, 7 views)
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote