Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Esther, I love all of your advice about planting camparis. even though they are hybrids, they still must have wonderful parents to still provide such great tomatoes second generation! I will have to try saving seeds next fall/winter when I go back to buying them.

Will you post pictures this summer when you get tomatoes?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Meanwhile these are some pictures of my mortgage lifters from 2 years back:

there are baskets of Juliets and sungolds in this picture as well.

Can't wait for the tomatoes to start coming in!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #273
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I love all your pics . Beautiful!!!!!!

Yes I will post pics. We are not getting any sun right now. I'm stilling praying for sun.

Yes I will post pics. I love campari they also make great sauce.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #274
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Low-er Carb Apricot Habanero Jam

Servings: 160
Yield: 5 cups

1/2 pound Habanero chiles
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
1 cup cider vinegar
29 ounces apricot halves in juice
1/4 cup juice from apricots
1 drop red food coloring (original recipe called for more; I think it's too red)
6 drops yellow food coloring
2 cups Kevinpa's sweetener blend
1 teaspoon liquid Splenda
1 3/4 ounces SureJell premium fruit pectin for less or no sugar needed recipes

Cut off stem ends of peppers and blend together with chopped onions, vinegar, apricots, apricot juice, and food coloring. Pour the pepper mixture into a large non-aluminum pan and bring to a simmer.

Stir in the sweetener and the pectin, and bring to a hard boil. Boil exactly one minute; remove from heat

Let mixture stand long enough to be able to stir down the boil, then pour into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/8" headspace. Wipe down rim of jar and place lids. Screw rings on and leave to cool. Once cooled, store in refrigerator.

You may want to shake containers occasionally to keep bits of peppers from settling to the bottom.

ALTERNATIVELY: Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Pour into plastic containers, seal and let stand at room temperature for as long as 24 hours. Freeze and enjoy all winter long.

Per Serving (one teaspoon): 6 Calories; trace Fat (0.2% calories from fat); trace Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; trace Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Notes:
There are about 52 habaneros per pound- I just counted out 26 as I was picking them. This is close enough.
Each serving (teaspoonful) contains 3g Sugar Alcohols.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apricot Habanero Jam.JPG (57.5 KB, 5 views)

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it by the book...
It's not a stall when you're cheating!
If you don't want to do something, one excuse is as good as any other. (Yiddish Proverb)
~Proud to be a Famous Banta Babe~
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

Pami, your habanero apricot jam sounds wonderful. I had over two hundred habaneros last year from just three bushes and had no idea what to do with them. I made lots of habanero hot pepper jelly, both sugar-free and sugared, but it was just too much of one thing.

I wish I'd have thought of something as creative as your apricot/habanero jam--sounds so much better!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/185/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
We finally got into our garden and planted lots of stuff, including a row of 40 plum tomatoes. Thats a 100' row of tomato palnts. I hope we won't have to buy tomatoes this year for canning. Last couple years I had to buy 3 bushels to make enough spaghetti sauce, salsa, and juice to last us a year. Also planted 2 rows of potatoes, 1 of green beans, cukes, beats and more. Now its raining again. We waited to plant until danger of frost was past. It was 33* Monday morning, then warmed up nicely. So it should be warmer from now on.

dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #277
Senior LCF Member

I would like to know how all of you raise your tomatoes. I like to have them tied up on stakes to keep them off the ground. But my aunt,who is a super gardener, just lets them sprawl on the ground. I know you can get tomato cages of all different varieties, but we have too many plants to do that. DH is going to buy new stakes this year to tie them up on, but if anyone has a better method, I'd like to know.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #278
Blabbermouth!!!

Dorcas if you have so many tomatos use a fence. A metal one would be great.
Take the fence and run it along side of your plants. Then tie the plants to it with floral tape or rag peices, gently. I use to do this a lot when I had a bigger place.

You can do the same thing with cucumbers, squash and others. You want to cradle the squash with plastic bags while they are growing.

I use stakes but I only have 10 plants. I use vertical so I can get more in my garden.

I do a lot of vertical gardening.

May we all live our life as long as we want!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/177 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Esther--I don't understand about cradle the squash comment with plastic bags--why do you do that and when and please explain further--I never have heard of doing that--is it done with all squash? like zukes and yellow squash etc? I have always just let mine grow at will. TIA

we used a fence to make tomato cages--a whole lot cheaper that way and provides good support all the way around

Last edited by jbatchelor; 05-28-2013 at 11:53 AM..
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

My garden is on the side of a hill and we get a lot of strong wind and rain, so all of the metal cages I tried didn't work. I now use sturdy metal fencing that is about 5' high, strung between green metal fenceposts, to support tomato plants. I used to tie them up with old pantyhose, but I found that simply "weaving" the growing plants in and out of the fence works beautifully.

I grow indeterminate tomatoes and plant the rows about 4 1/2' apart. When my Juliets outgrow their fences, they reach across the top and grab each other, forming a tunnel over the row. I sit in the shade beneath and pick the clusters of tomatoes that hang down in the center!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #281
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
My garden is on the side of a hill and we get a lot of strong wind and rain, so all of the metal cages I tried didn't work. I now use sturdy metal fencing that is about 5' high, strung between green metal fenceposts, to support tomato plants. I used to tie them up with old pantyhose, but I found that simply "weaving" the growing plants in and out of the fence works beautifully.

I grow indeterminate tomatoes and plant the rows about 4 1/2' apart. When my Juliets outgrow their fences, they reach across the top and grab each other, forming a tunnel over the row. I sit in the shade beneath and pick the clusters of tomatoes that hang down in the center!
This is how I did mine when I had 100 plants.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #282
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
Esther--I don't understand about cradle the squash comment with plastic bags--why do you do that and when and please explain further--I never have heard of doing that--is it done with all squash? like zukes and yellow squash etc? I have always just let mine grow at will. TIA

we used a fence to make tomato cages--a whole lot cheaper that way and provides good support all the way around
OK cradling the squash I'm talking about them being trellised . When you go vertical I use panty hose to hold fruits while they are growing. Like delecata, sweet dumpling and spaghetti squash.

Zucchini and yellow squash are fine growing on the ground. I have a small garden now so I go vertical.My sister is learning for the first time to grow in containers. She's new at it but it's coming along nicely. We grew up on a farm LOL.

LOL am I helping.

Last edited by rosethorns; 05-28-2013 at 01:09 PM..
Old 05-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

Esther, how do you use the pantyhose to hold fruits? And how do you use plastic bags to cradle the squash? I am confused...
Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #284
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafoot View Post
Esther, how do you use the pantyhose to hold fruits? And how do you use plastic bags to cradle the squash? I am confused...
LOL I'm sorry to confuse. You tie them on both sides to your trellis or fence,making a hammock so that the fruit can sit into the panty hose or plastic bags. It's really how I do it for vertical gardening because if you don't cradle them they can't hang very well. I can get 8 squash plants if I go straight up.

I have a 12' x 20' garden so I want as much as I can get in there. If I'm still confusing please tell me.

I also go vertical for cukes and they just hang. The squash is too heavy.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

that is just plain cool, Esther! I bet that would work well using pieces of pantyhose for my humongous mortgage lifters, too. They tend to bend and break the vines when I grow the plants vertically (which I always do). Now I want to try this with squash, too!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Esther thanks for explanation--I have been talking to the DH about this thread-he understands it totally what you are doing--I am visual of course-I think I get it! its a novel idea for limited space-I wouldn't have thought of it!

we planted garden today--always late here due to the clay soil-but even later due to the rain! we have more to plant tomorrow and then any stray things I might see to try..anxious to get at it!!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #287
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm hoping that is helping.

Diana I'm so glad you told me about the Mortgage lifters. I've to do it for my brandywines already.

Jeanne It sounds like your DH is a farm boy. Happy Gardening. I've to do it later here also because of the rain. If you go vertical you can have a lot more in your garden.You say clay soil. Have you and DH amended your soil?

We are suppose to have sun by Saturday. YAY!!!!!

Last edited by rosethorns; 05-29-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Yes he is a farm boy-hates even visiting the grands in Indy with the big city driving--we have figured a way to go the back country road way! Not sure what you mean about the amending?

Hope you get the sun--we are headed into a 3 day rain again--we have one more clear day tomorrow before it starts tomorrow evening--have to make hay while the sun shines!

Last edited by jbatchelor; 05-29-2013 at 07:06 PM..
Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #289
Blabbermouth!!!

I love it I knew he was a farm boy.
So amending soil. I have had to amend soil everywhere I live. Amending soil is adding things to your soil to loosen it up so your have good drainage. Do you use compost?
Here is what I amend with depending on how big your garden is.
Peat moss
more soil ( compost too)
bone meal
steer manure
I have very rich soil that drains well. And it started as clay.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

we routinely use grass clippings as mulch in our garden but haven't added anything else as far as helping the clay-the DH has wanted to add horse manure from our neighbor's horses but I haven't encouraged that simply for the smell and worry about E-coli issues. we currently have two large gardens which might be cost prohibitive to apply peat moss-I have never heard of using bone meal-I will be discussing these things with him-I think he has brought in something now that I think about it for one of the gardens but it didn't change it at all...thanks for the info Esther--sorry I didn't get back sooner!

Jeanne
Old 06-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #291

We have clay, too, and I've been looking into a remedy for that.
I want to try tyfon one day.
It's supposed to break up clay, when it's not the growing season.
Bonus: it's edible for humans!
If it works, great!
If not, I've wasted some seed.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

So Pami-do you just till it in after its done growing? I haven't ever heard of this--so much info here--I would love to do something that easily done! where are you getting the seed if I may ask? it looks robust!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #293
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
DH and I made and canned 21 half pints of jelly/jam this past weekend - 7 each of pomegranate, blueberry, and fresh seedless black grape. All sugarfree of course! We also had 12 oz. each of the pom and blueberry "left over" (because my steam canner comfortably holds 7 half pints at a time - any that doesn't fit into one of those 7 half pint jars goes into a saved Smuckers jelly jar). Only a smidge of the grape was left - but it's all gone now!

It's so satisfying to see all those wonderful jars of jelly/jam in the cupboard!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #294
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
DH and I made and canned 21 half pints of jelly/jam this past weekend - 7 each of pomegranate, blueberry, and fresh seedless black grape. All sugarfree of course! We also had 12 oz. each of the pom and blueberry "left over" (because my steam canner comfortably holds 7 half pints at a time - any that doesn't fit into one of those 7 half pint jars goes into a saved Smuckers jelly jar). Only a smidge of the grape was left - but it's all gone now!

It's so satisfying to see all those wonderful jars of jelly/jam in the cupboard!
Charski that sounds wonderful. I hope you had a good time. Sounds delish.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #295
Blabbermouth!!!

Clay is a hard one.Your DH is on the right track using manure to break it up. I have a small garden now.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #296
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
We had a great time, Essy! DH really enjoys helping me, which is nice when it comes time to actually bottle the stuff up. Plus he's the one who eats most of it so he figures he ought to have a hand in the work!

It was a foggy cool day so it was perfect for jelly-making.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #297

Quote:
So Pami-do you just till it in after its done growing?
Yes, that is my understanding. Harvest what you're going to use- bury the
rest.

Quote:
I haven't ever heard of this--so much info here--I would love to do something that easily done! where are you getting the seed if I may ask? it looks robust!
It's not wildly popular and the seed is a little hard to find. Nichols Garden
Nursery (Albany, OR) sells it in small amounts, for those of us not running
a whole farm.

You can also search "green manure" for more ideas- I just have tyfon on my
mind, because of the prevalence of clay in the soil around here.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:45 AM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Haven't done any canning yet, but am sure looking forward to it. Here's our garden, some helpers, my long row of tomatoes, beans, and lots more. The sugar peas are almost ready to pick, they need a little rain. Maybe soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg may2013 084.jpg (77.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg June 2013 042.jpg (100.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by dmburk; 06-22-2013 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: adding pics
Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

And this is our own grass fed beef, on the hoof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 2013 040.jpg (60.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #300
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmburk View Post
Haven't done any canning yet, but am sure looking forward to it. Here's our garden, some helpers, my long row of tomatoes, beans, and lots more. The sugar peas are almost ready to pick, they need a little rain. Maybe soon
Dorcas I LOVE LOVE your new avatar. Your place reminds me of my family farm in sounthern Jersey. Beauriful.