Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2004, 03:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DaisysMom
Mexican casserole w/chicken breast

Can anyone think of a recipe off the top of their head? I am getting really tired of chicken breast, but something Mexican, spicy, with shredded chicken sounds sort of good...
DaisysMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2004, 05:18 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Here are some of my favorites:

GREEN ENCHILADA CHICKEN
4 boneless chicken breasts, pounded flat
2 teaspoons Seasoning for Tacos
4 ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
7 ounce can Green Mexican Sauce (I use La Costeña brand)*
4 ounce can chopped green chiles
A little chopped cilantro (optional)
2 chopped green onions (optional)

Sprinkle each side of the chicken breasts with 1/4 teaspoon of the seasoning. Heat oil in a large skillet; sauté the chicken until just done or grill on outdoor or indoor grill. Don't overcook. Place in a greased 9 x 13" baking pan. Mix sour cream, green sauce, chiles and cilantro in a small bowl; pour over the chicken. Cook in microwave on MEDIUM until hot and bubbly. Top each piece with 1/4 of the cheese and return to microwave until cheese is melted. Or, bake in a 350º oven for 25 minutes, then top with cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Top with chopped green onions, if desired.

Makes 4 servings (5.5 net carbs each)

I called this Green Enchilada Chicken because the sauce is based on a green enchilada recipe I've made for many years. The original sauce has chicken broth and is thickened with flour. I omitted the broth as it would make this too thin without any thickening.

* They've changed the name from Green Mexican Sauce to Green Mexican Salsa, but the ingredients and carb count are still the same. If you can't find that brand, it contains tomatillos, jalapeños, onion, salt, coriander (cilantro) and garlic. There are 10 carbs per 7 ounce can.

GREEN "ENCHILADA" CHICKEN CASSEROLE
4 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
8 ounce tub cream cheese with chives *
7 ounce can Green Mexican Sauce (I use La Costeña brand)
4 ounce can chopped green chiles
6 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
4 green onions, chopped

Grease an 11x7" baking pan. Put chicken in pan and toss with taco seasoning to coat. Soften cream cheese and whisk well with the green sauce in a medium bowl. Stir in the chiles. Pour sauce evenly over chicken; top with cheese. Bake at 350º 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with green onions.

Makes 6 servings (5.5 net carbs each)

I decided to turn my Green Enchilada Chicken into a casserole and it was a hit. My husband raved about it and said it was nice and spicy.

* The cream cheese with chives has more than double the carbs of plain cream cheese, so you could substitute regular cream cheese and blend in some chopped chives or finely chopped green onions. This would reduce the carbs per serving by about 1 net carb each.

MEXICAN CHICKEN
1 pound boneless chicken breasts, about 3-4 pieces
1 teaspoon Seasoning for Tacos
Salt, to taste
1/2 cup enchilada sauce
4 ounces cheddar, shredded
3 green onions, chopped

Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with taco seasoning; grill or sauté. Cut chicken into cubes and place in a greased 8x8" baking dish; season with salt to taste. Add the enchilada sauce and toss to coat chicken. Sprinkle cheese over chicken and bake at 350º for 10-20 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Scatter green onions over the top.

Makes 4 servings (2.5 net carbs each)

SALSA CHICKEN
4 boneless chicken breasts
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup sour cream
4 ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese
Chopped green onions, for garnish (optional)

Sprinkle both sides of chicken with taco seasoning. Pan fry or grill chicken. Place in a greased baking pan. Mix salsa and sour cream; pour over chicken. Bake at 350º for about 20 minutes or microwave on MEDIUM until hot and bubbly. Top with cheese and cook until cheese melts. Sprinkle green onions over the top, if using.

Makes 4 servings (4.5 net carbs each)

I'd wanted to make Green Enchilada Chicken, but realized that I didn't have any of the green sauce on hand. I did have some salsa and came up with this idea and everyone liked it.

SEASONING FOR TACOS
1 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch cayenne

Combine and add to 1 pound browned and drained hamburger. Add a little water, if desired. This will be drier than taco meat made with a commercial mix due to the lack of thickeners. It tastes just as good as the store bought kind and is a lot cheaper to make.

Makes enough for 1 pound hamburger (3 usable carbs for the whole batch) (4-6 servings - .5-1 usable carb each)

(A package of Taco Bell taco seasoning has 18 carbs and Old el Paso brand has 30 per package)

I mix up a bunch of this and put it in a small jar. I just measure out 4 teaspoons of the mixture per 1 pound of hamburger. See recipe below for a larger batch.

This recipe makes enough for about 6 batches of taco meat:

2 tablespoons chili powder
5 teaspoons paprika
4 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne

Mix and store in a small jar. Mix well before measuring. Makes 24 teaspoons.

1 teaspoon - .75 usable carbs
2 teaspoons - 1.5 usable carbs
3 teaspoons - 2 usable carbs
4 teaspoons - 3 usable carbs
5 teaspoons - 4 usable carbs
6 teaspoons - 4.5 usable carbs
8 teaspoons - 6 usable carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 04:53 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DaisysMom
Oh my gosh! I feel like I've hit the jackpot!
Thank you Linda! Now I just have to decide which one to make tomorrow!!!!
DaisysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:06 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LCRedhead
Stats: Total Lost 9.5
WOE: SS
Start Date: Aug. 22, 2008
These look so good but I have never been able to find Green Mexican Sauce. Can you please tell me a little more about it? Maybe I am not looking in the right place in the store.

Is this very spicy?

Oh and Daisys Mom If you don't have the link to LindaSue's web site get it..........ITS THE MOTHER LOAD

Last edited by LCRedhead; 03-07-2004 at 05:07 AM..
LCRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 06:41 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherJanet
Stats: 150/137/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2003
I found La Costena Green Mexican SALSA medium in Kroger yesterday. It was located in the isle where the authentic Mexican products are sold. The can is about 3" tall and the label is mostly red. It comes in an easy to open lift top can.
HeatherJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 06:50 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I think you could substitute most any green salsa that comes in a can, jar or bottle, but the flavor may be a bit different. Green salsas tend to be lower in carbs than red ones and they have a unique tangy flavor.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote