Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2004, 06:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheryl5
Crawfish Boil

My local grocery store has crawfish on sale, and I was thinking of trying my own crawfish boil this weekend. Traditionally, they are boiled with corn on the cob and small potatoes...No-No's! I'm not crazy about turnips, but with all the cajun spices in the boil, it might mask the taste and be a good sub for the potatoes. Any suggestions on other vegetables to try?
Sheryl5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2004, 11:39 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: essence
Stats: 268/268/175
WOE: protein power/atkin 72
Start Date: December 3, 2013
Awe man i wish i could help u, i just been eating it by itself, no corn or potatoes oh how i wsh, i could have potatoe , i have never heard of any other veggies begin use, i have been looking for the low carb hienz ketchup so I can dip my crawfish in that and hot sauce
essence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

If you find the Heinz SF catsup, let me know where! I have read of people finding it in their grocery store, but haven't found it anywhere around here.

In the meantime, I may try the turnips. I don't think they will "ooze" any flavor onto the crawfish so I won't have lost much.

Also, since you're from Louisiana, you're probably practiced at this. About how many pounds of crawfish should I buy per person? And, do I just bring the water and seasonings to a boil, then add the crawfish? Any tips?

Thanks!
Sheryl

Last edited by Sheryl5; 03-02-2004 at 12:09 PM..
Old 03-02-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheryl5
If you find the Heinz SF catsup, let me know where! I have read of people finding it in their grocery store, but haven't found it anywhere around here.

In the meantime, I may try the turnips. I don't think they will "ooze" any flavor onto the crawfish so I won't have lost much.

Also, since you're from Louisiana, you're probably practiced at this. About how many pounds of crawfish should I buy per person? And, do I just bring the water and seasonings to a boil, then add the crawfish? Any tips?

Thanks!
Sheryl
i wish i could help u but it will likely depend on the size of the person or how much they can eat, I for one can eat 5+lbs, granted i have no potaoes and corn which are filler too , yes u put your water to boil with season bags, onions and lemons ( well u don't have to put lemon onion , but we do, once wate rcome to boil u add crawfish then boil them till they are bright red, we let out soak a while afte rto absorb as much of the seson as we can, then we pour it in a ice chest and sprinkle more season on it. Then enjoy
Old 03-02-2004, 01:06 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tulcat
WOE: LC with Atkins as a guide
Start Date: 10/1/03
If the crawfish are alive, put them in a bucket of saltwater first for a few minutes so they may empty their bowels (someone told me this once).

For vegetables, I would be adventurous and maybe try some greenbeans?
Tulcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:12 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tulcat
If the crawfish are alive, put them in a bucket of saltwater first for a few minutes so they may empty their bowels (someone told me this once).

For vegetables, I would be adventurous and maybe try some greenbeans?
Yes this is very important, only dif is my family lets the crawfish sit in water for about 2-3 hours, they let it sit then, pour water out, make sure crawfish don't fall out then add more salt and water to clean, crawfish are very dirty if they ar enot pond raise, we like our clean, more important if u eat the head like i do
Old 03-02-2004, 01:14 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

I think i should also tell u that when we boil we boil sacks of crawfish most are 30lbs( that may be why they take so long to clean them, some days we boils 2-3 30 lbsacks, can't wait for Good FRiday
Old 03-02-2004, 01:59 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tulcat
WOE: LC with Atkins as a guide
Start Date: 10/1/03
I'm like essence...

What's the use of eating mud puppies if you don't suck the head? That is about the best part!
Tulcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 02:17 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Essence,

If you use the season bags, what do you sprinkle on at the end...just cajun spice mix? You said you put them in ice chests. I assume that is just to have something big enough to put them all, right? You don't cool them, do you? If you are boiling 2 30 lb. bags, you have quite a feast! I will only be cooking for me, my husband, and my mom, so I think I'll go with a few less.

Thanks for reminding me about the saltwater. I will definitely remember to do that. My DH thinks I'm silly, but I go to great pains to devein my shrimp, too. That's why I won't eat boiled shrimp that you have to peel yourself (like they serve in retaurants). There is just something about that stuff being cooked in there!

As for sucking the heads, I haven't gotten that brave. I have heard that what you are mostly getting are the juices from the boil. Is that right?

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I can't wait to make these when we go to our beach house this weekend. Thank goodness, I don't have to wait until Good Friday!
Old 03-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheryl5
Essence,

If you use the season bags, what do you sprinkle on at the end...just cajun spice mix? You said you put them in ice chests. I assume that is just to have something big enough to put them all, right? You don't cool them, do you? If you are boiling 2 30 lb. bags, you have quite a feast! I will only be cooking for me, my husband, and my mom, so I think I'll go with a few less.

Thanks for reminding me about the saltwater. I will definitely remember to do that. My DH thinks I'm silly, but I go to great pains to devein my shrimp, too. That's why I won't eat boiled shrimp that you have to peel yourself (like they serve in retaurants). There is just something about that stuff being cooked in there!

As for sucking the heads, I haven't gotten that brave. I have heard that what you are mostly getting are the juices from the boil. Is that right?

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I can't wait to make these when we go to our beach house this weekend. Thank goodness, I don't have to wait until Good Friday!
u know if i am correct it called crawfish boil seaoning,it in a powder form you sprinkle it on it, it should be by the seasoning u use to boil we use the bags( u can also use the powder too, don't put tomuch powder its pepper, I have had craw fish only once so far this year, it cost me $30 for 10 lbs that way to high, it was already boiled and they were way to small , u are making me hungry fro crawfish, hubby said maybe we boiled some Saturday if weather right, I ma guessing it will be since it in the 70's now Happy eating
Old 03-02-2004, 02:45 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cleme
Stats: 116/112/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 9/8/03
Smoked sausage, weiners, and mushrooms are also great
in crawfish boils. They really soak up the seasonings. Zatarain's makes a really good crab/crawfish boil seasoning if you can find it in your area.

Good luck!
cleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:06 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Cleme,

Do you mean in with the crawfish, or to use the boil as seasoning for them in a separate dish? We live on the gulf coast of Texas, and will be between Galveston and Beaumont. I know I will find the Zatarain's. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:10 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cleme
Stats: 116/112/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 9/8/03
Sheryl,
When my family boils crawfish, they first season the water (with Zatarain's liquid or dry packet mix), then let it come to a boil. That's when they add the corn, potatoes, sausage mushrooms, lemons, etc (all boiled in a mesh-type sack so it comes out easy). They boil these "extras" first. Once they are done, they add the crawfish to the same boiling water. This way, the "extras" can also double as appetizers!

Hope this helps!!!

Gosh...now I want crawfish soooo bad!!! I will have to buy some already prepared ones this weekend!!!

Good luck!
cleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:57 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

WEll after this thread, i ended up buying almost 4lb of crawfish to share with hubby as snakc bfore dinner, they wer yummy, but oh still to small, it was like 7.00 for about 4lbs so the price are going down.

i have boiled meat with crawfish before, neckbones, ham hocks, i think too, but i can't do that now because dh is a vegetarian head, who occasionally eat seafood,and even the slight flavoring of meat will make him get real sick i spent enough days in ER to know better now, loll

Last edited by essence; 03-03-2004 at 08:59 AM..
Old 03-03-2004, 09:07 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I haven't looked at them at the store yet. I hope they are a fair size, but I'll bet if they're small in LA, they're small in Texas, too...WHOA! Wait! EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas, so no problem there. Right? I plan to get them on the way out of town Friday afternoon to cook when I get to the house that evening. I'll let you know how it goes. With all this good advice, I don't think I can go wrong.