Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #91
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: killerblues
Stats: 162/148/140 5'9"
WOE: atkins (ish)
Start Date: a long time ago
If you google, the pioneer woman, it's a blog and she has a lot of recipes, some can be low carbified. She has a good one for homemade ranch dressing and I think her ceasar is low carb and good too. I can't remember specifically if I've tried that one. lol

christine
killerblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lbecker28
Cabbage fried with bacon pieces and kielbasa is our favorite. I also make bacon, chedddar and chive fritattas alot.
lbecker28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
I've gotta try the whole cabbage in bacon thing...everyone seems to really like it and I have no idea why the idea sounds gross to me...I fry other things in bacon grease!
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Moogie303
Stats: 249/171.5/149
WOE: Physician's Weight Loss
Start Date: March 28, 2009
I've never fried my cabbage in bacon grease, but since I am a Southern Gal I was taught to always add a little bacon grease to my veggies.

I had gotten out of this practice over the years but have since resumed. I just made boiled cabbage last night with plenty of bacon grease added and I'll serve it with some turkey sausage.

Yummmy.

Angie
Moogie303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #95
DJ
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: DJ
Stats: just depressing.
Start Date: August 2004
subscribing
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #96

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Heather View Post
I get the BBQ spice at Foodtown, a local grocery. It's in with the 66 cent bottled spices.

I like it because it's a blend, but doesn't have sugar. If you aren't uptight about TINY amounts of sugar, you could use a seasoned salt, but do be aware it has sugar. The tiny amount wouldn't affect anyone, but I'm very rigid about knowingly consuming sugar.
I didn't realize until you mentioned that you got it at Food Town that I actually have some in my pantry. It's a nice, basic seasoning blend. Last time I bought some their spices were 2/$1.00. I guess they've gone up since then. Here are the ingredients:

Quote:
SPICE SUPREME BARBECUE SPICE:
salt, chili powder, red pepper, celery, MSG, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder and calcium stearate
To me, the celery seed is the predominant flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashimiMark View Post
But one recipe that I just absolutely love is Linda Sue's cauliflower bisque. I add half a pound of uncured bacon, which I puree into the soup (tiny flecks of bacon throughout) and a bag of frozen shrimp from Trader Joe's. Even though it's June, it's still fairly cool here in New England. This is what we're having tonight.
Mark, do you simmer the bacon along with the cauliflower or add it cooked to the soup just before you puree it? I like the idea of adding bacon to that soup.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #97
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Skylady
Stats: 203/185/140
WOE: low-carb
Start Date: 6/01/09
I'm not using any real recipes yet. Last night I made roasted fresh vegetable kabobs (onion, green pepper, zuchini, summer squash, grape tomato, mushrooms, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle garlic powder) and had a chicken breast on the side. I'll have chicken wings one night, some shrimp, leftover chicken, sausage, all with a cooked vegetable like cauliflower, spinach, green beans, etc. I make a huge salad the first of the week...lasts me for several meals. Breakfast is usually eggs, couple slices of bacon or a mushroom, green pepper and onion omelet.
Skylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #98
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Mindy
WOE: All Sorts of LC
I made stuffed peppers today using peppers out of my DBF's garden - easy, delish, and the possibilities are endless...
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Purple Crayon
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2003
B: I rotate through differents types of crustless quiche during the week, sausage-spinach, salmon-swiss, ham-zucchini. Weekends I make a big ol' omelet.

L: Tuna salad and celery sticks, dollar salad from McD's with taco beef added at home or ham and egg.

D: Broiled steak, pork chop, chicken, salmon with a veggie like green beans, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, zucchini.
Favorite foods I keep in the freezer,
George Stella's Meat Lasagna
Dottie's Burger Scramble Florentine
Chicken, Sausage, Mushroom Casserole
Cabbage Goulash
King Ranch Chicken a la Low Carb
Chicken wings

I also keep homemade Minestrone soup in the freezer. I miss the convenience of canned soup.

Now that summer's here, I'm eating fresh berries every week. Can't wait for the tomatoes to start getting ripe!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SashimiMark
Stats: in love with myself
WOE: organic whole foods with lots of fat
Start Date: January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
Mark, do you simmer the bacon along with the cauliflower or add it cooked to the soup just before you puree it? I like the idea of adding bacon to that soup.
I pre-cook the bacon, but not all the way. Then I add it to the soup to cook with the veggies while they soften.
SashimiMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: delonewolf
Stats: 210+/195/145?
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killer View Post
Lisa, I am the salad queen by default. It is a goal of mine to get to the R.R. more often & follow thru...

Will keep an eye on this thread! I appreciate the 'research on a platter' eveyone is providing! Very valuable service!

Nics
For a different kind of "salad", I use cucumbers, green or red peppers, and onion. I put garlic salt and freshly ground pepper. I love bleu cheese dressing mixed in and also have added cubed cheese (sometimes even sliced-up pepperoni). This makes a meal for me.
delonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #102
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
Stats: 279/272/180
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
My favorite is cilantro salmon trout. I make a paste out of diced garlic, cilantro, olive oil and lemon. Rub this over fresh salmon trout and bake until cooked through.

This is insanely good. Unless you hate cilantro.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #103

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashimiMark View Post
I pre-cook the bacon, but not all the way. Then I add it to the soup to cook with the veggies while they soften.
Thanks!
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #104
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue View Post
Thanks!
Linda- I have never seen you on the forums before, but I wanted to tell you your web site is my favorite LC site. All of your recipes I have tried are wonderful and visiting your site really helps keep me on track. You have done an amazing job.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tuscanytrace
Stats: 208.8/172.6/113 5'1.5"
WOE: Atkins 1972,VCO, WAPF/whole foods,
Start Date: Oct 15, 06/restart 5/07/ restart 3/08
What a useful thread!

My whole family demands we make Vegetable Chicken Alfredo about once every other week. No pasta for most of us. Veggie is cauliflower, so it comes in very low-carb. Once in awhile I do it with Dreamfield's to stretch it a little.

Egg Creams--every single day! For breakfast, and sometimes lunch. Almond milk and fresh cream skimmed off the top of that day's raw milk. Stevia, Capella flavor drops, coffee and a couple of eggs.

Coconut bark

Skillet Ham with Creamy Horseradish Sauce (my DH's invention--super yummy)

Notato Salad with Snow Peas

Salade Nicoise (or pasta salade Nicoise, done with Dreamfield's)

Classic American Barbecued Chicken (from Dana Carpenter's Barbecue Cookbook)

Twitter

Facebook

Blogging, Menu planning, Homeschooling Mom of 3
Started Atkins May '02 lost 45 lbs. Low: 138 and stable until March '04, pregnancy. Delivery weight: 186.
Peaked 210 Sep. 06. Restart: March 27, 08 208.8
Tuscanytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerblues View Post
If you google, the pioneer woman, it's a blog and she has a lot of recipes, some can be low carbified. She has a good one for homemade ranch dressing and I think her ceasar is low carb and good too. I can't remember specifically if I've tried that one. lol

christine
LOVE Ree (the Pioneer Woman)! Former pre-pro ballerina who gave it up for love and now lives on a ranch and homeschools her kids to avoid a 3-hour daily round trip into town for school? Terrific photographer and writer and cook to boot? What's not to love?

I had just noticed a recent post of hers that was definitely low-carbifiable. Wish I could remember which one.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovelette View Post
Ditto on the Linda Sue plug.

However one thing that the OP (5 years ago) brought up was falling off the wagon after running out of ideas. I dunno if anyone else does this, but every few days I set up my menu for 2 weeks in advance (meaning after I set it up for 2 weeks and 3 days pass, I schedule the next 3 days at the end to bring me back to 2 weeks). I do this for lunches and dinners and find it REALLY helps me with both shopping, money budgeting and staying on track. Breakfasts I don't worry too much about - I have a "rotation" of stuff I usually eat (either a protein pancake, crepes, plain eggs, eggs and cheese, eggs and cream, an egg cream, veggie omelet).

I do this all in Excel, have a column for Day, Date, Meal (lunch or dinner), then the food, ingredients I'll need to buy below that, and then a column for the cost. You could also add a carb column, I just haven't done that.

Yeah. Well. Type A. What can I say.

This also helps keep me from getting bored and also incorporating variety - so I don't eat just chicken or just pork every night...I can rotate through the main "food groups" ie chicken, pork, fish and eggs lol.
I do this, too. Matter of fact I'm planning on making it available to others, but I've been fighting with technology to make it happen (plus had end-of-the-school year busyness to deal with). I really wish there was a truly induction-friendly menu plan service out there, but there isn't. So I'm going to offer mine...if I can ever figure out the tech end of it!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscanytrace View Post
LOVE Ree (the Pioneer Woman)! Former pre-pro ballerina who gave it up for love and now lives on a ranch and homeschools her kids to avoid a 3-hour daily round trip into town for school? Terrific photographer and writer and cook to boot? What's not to love?

I had just noticed a recent post of hers that was definitely low-carbifiable. Wish I could remember which one.
I like Ree, too! The photography at her site is gorgeous.

Does she live on a farm, or is it just a ranch? Is there a difference? She seems to use so much processed food (Crisco, velveeta, pita chips) that I always wonder about that! At least she uses butter, haha.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
Worthy of a bump!
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoelattegurl
Stats: 255/209/175
WOE: 17 Day Diet
Start Date: 10/30/2011
Bumping as a reminder to myself. Lots of good ideas in here that I need to write down!
shoelattegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #111
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cheercoach
Made the Cheddar Burger tonight on my George Foreman! I'll never eat a plain hamburger again! It was Awesome!!!

Terri
cheercoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:52 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheercoach View Post
Made the Cheddar Burger tonight on my George Foreman! I'll never eat a plain hamburger again! It was Awesome!!!

Terri
Can you copy and paste the link to that recipe, thanks.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Iffy336
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart 1/21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcq View Post
Hi ,

I wonder if any of you are like me. I find that I have about 2 favourite LC recipes that I use often. They normally take me through a week then I am at a blank........and what often happens is that I fall off the wagon cause I don't know what to eat. So I was thinking that if you folks don't mind sharing your most used (FAVOURITE) recipes maybe we could try and compile a LONG list of recipes and see if we can have a long list of food ideas to take us through a month or more:

I'll start..........................My most used recipes are:

1.) mock mashed potatoes- boiled cauliflower, grated cheese, sauteed onions...whipped all together in the food processor

2.) LC lasagne - make exactly as you would ordinary lasagne but just substitute EGGPLANT for noodles (I cut my eggplant in long lenghts. About four to five slices per eggplant)
Your number 2 sounds like eggplant parmesan - yummy and you don't miss the pasta because of the eggplant! yummy!
Iffy336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/133/124? 5'2"
WOE: various intermittent fasting with mod carb
Start Date: low carb off and on since 1967, IF 4/2013-now
That Cheddar Burger recipe looks so good, but what the heck is bbq spice? You guys that have made this, what do you use for the bbq spice? Thanks tea cup
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dovelette
WOE: Atkins OWL, Current HCG R1P2
Start Date: WLS 4/20/2004, Atkins 3/31/09, HCG 4/9/13
I buy BBQ spice from Penseys. It's an amazing way to get the flavor without the carbs (or you can mix it with ketchup and make your own sauce).
Dovelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I searched this thread and can't find the cheddar burger recipe, can someone help me out please?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
Marking my spot for later--what a great thread idea!
lcmiller461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #118
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cheercoach
Here's the recipe for the Cheddar Burgers from Houston Heather--actually it's on page 1 of this thread! I didn't have BBQ spice, so I put Old Bay seasoning. I also didn't use the BBQ sauce, but I can only imagine how much better that would make it!

Cheddar Burgers
1.5 pounds ground beef
1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/4 t red pepper flakes
1 t BBQ spice (but keep the shaker around)
A few shakes each of onion powder, black pepper, and garlic powder
Wood chips - hickory or mesquite
"Light" or no-sugar BBQ sauce

Start coals. You need to do this on a grill. Mix all ingredients well as you wait for the coals. Form patties. When the coals are ready, add 3 handfuls of woodchips as you place the burgers on the grill. You should be gasping for air by now.

Close the grill and run in the house . After about 10 minutes, check the burgers and flip. If the woodchips have burned up, add more. You want a good smoky flavor in the meat.

When a meat thermometer says they have reached an internal temp of 160 (Yes, I'm a food safety geek), brush on BBQ sauce and allow too cook in briefly, then remove from grill.

Grab a few burgers, stand back, and wait for the compliments to start rolling in!
cheercoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Cheer, funny it didn't show up in the search. Hmmmm.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheercoach View Post
Here's the recipe for the Cheddar Burgers from Houston Heather--actually it's on page 1 of this thread! I didn't have BBQ spice, so I put Old Bay seasoning. I also didn't use the BBQ sauce, but I can only imagine how much better that would make it!

Cheddar Burgers
1.5 pounds ground beef
1.5 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/4 t red pepper flakes
1 t BBQ spice (but keep the shaker around)
A few shakes each of onion powder, black pepper, and garlic powder
Wood chips - hickory or mesquite
"Light" or no-sugar BBQ sauce

Start coals. You need to do this on a grill. Mix all ingredients well as you wait for the coals. Form patties. When the coals are ready, add 3 handfuls of woodchips as you place the burgers on the grill. You should be gasping for air by now.

Close the grill and run in the house . After about 10 minutes, check the burgers and flip. If the woodchips have burned up, add more. You want a good smoky flavor in the meat.

When a meat thermometer says they have reached an internal temp of 160 (Yes, I'm a food safety geek), brush on BBQ sauce and allow too cook in briefly, then remove from grill.

Grab a few burgers, stand back, and wait for the compliments to start rolling in!
Sound good.. Have to fix this when grilling out this weekend.

My favorite LC food is the LC Chocolate Mayo Cake..I fix it about 2 times a month...
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote