Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2004, 07:32 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KLO1
Great sounding dip recipe-need help with crackers!

Got this recipe off of another site long before I started L/C'ing. In digging thur my files I found it and think it would be a great L/C dip for us. But it calls for using crackers that are chicken-flavored. I have a couple of recipes for crackers, the almond thins and cheesy biscuit cracker thingies, but need help with the seasoning to make them chicken flavored. Low sodium chicken bouillon is the only thing I can think of!
Here is the recipe:

Buffalo Chicken Dip

2 (10 oz) cans chunk chicken, drained
2 (8 oz) packages cold cream cheese, cubed
1 cup prepared Ranch salad dressing
3/4 cup pepper sauce, such as Franks® Red Hot
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1 bunch celery, cleaned and cut into 4" pieces
1 (8 oz) box chicken-favored crackers

Heat chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat, until heated through. Stir in cream cheese and ranch dressing. Cook, stirring until well blender and warm. Mix in half or the shredded cheese, and transfer the mixture to a slow cooker. Sprinke the remaining cheese over the top, cover, and cook on Low setting until hot and bubbly. Serve with celery sticks and crackers.
KLO1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2004, 08:50 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheryl5
I wonder if there is a way to add the chicken flavor to the almond thins by sprinkling in some granulated chicken boullion? I think I might go with hazelnut flour, though, if you can find it or make it. I have made both (almond and hazelnut) and find the hazelnut a little more savory/crackery. The almond retains the almond flavor more, IMO. I am also tryng a batch today without the Splenda to see if I can get them even more savory. The crackers they are suggesting are probably those Chick 'N a Biscuit (Nabisco?). I can't remember if they are sweet. I do remember they are kind of buttery. Let us know how they turn out. I am excited to have so many great cracker recipes. I almost don't miss potato chips!
Sheryl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Sheryl5, I think your right about the kind of cracker it calls for. I'm afraid I can't find hazelnuts cheap enough in the off season to use them, also very hard to find where I live. I'm going to keep looking for other ideas for seasoning, surly there is something other that the bouillon to add chicken flavor without carbs!
Old 02-10-2004, 07:23 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Irishnonee
could you boil some chicken and use the broth as some of the moisture in the crackers? don't know just a suggestion. let us know what you do
Irishnonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:19 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

KL01,

Are you concerned about the carbs in the chicken boulllion? I only have the cube kind, but looking at my container (Herb-ox), 1 cube (equivalent to 1 tsp. loose granules, I think) has less than 1 carb, 0 fat, and 0 sugar. I don't think you would have to add very much of it. You wouldn't want to change the consistency of the dough. The bouillion is grainy, so you might grind it in a coffee grinder and replace the Splenda with the Almond Thins. Even without the hazelnuts, these may come out close to what you want. I don't think you would need to add salt at the end, though, because the boullion is kind of salty. I love those chicken crackers. This is making me want to try it myself. If you haven't, when I come back home next week I may try it myself!
Old 02-10-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: daisymae
KL01....

Since you're only about an hour from Dallas, maybe you could make a "shopping trip" down here.

A store called Central Market (located at Coit Road and the George Bush Freeway) carries BOTH almond four and hazelnut flour.

The almond flour is sold in "bulk" and runs about $7.00 a pound. The hazelnut flour is also sold in "bulk," but it costs less per pound.

Also, the Whole Foods Market at the corner of Preston and Park carries almond flour.

If you have a Costco or Sam's near you, you could buy almonds in bulk (about $7.00 for a 3 lb. bag) and grind them yourself.

I'll bet that either of these "flours" could probably be frozen for storage.
daisymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:45 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I've thought about taking a run down to Dallas but just haven't had the time here lately! I've been to the Whole Foods Market before and love it. Problem is I can spend waaay to much money there! Next time I can get to Dallas I'll check out Central Market too, have heard good things about it.
For now I'm going to try just adding the chicken boullion to the almond thins, I already have some almond flour. Think I'll also look at the back of the box of those chicken crackers and see if I can figure out the seasonings from that. For now I haven't even had time to bake anything, meeting myself coming and going!
Old 02-10-2004, 02:48 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Sheryl5, It's the sodium I'm concerned about in the boullion. I'm very sentive to it, hands and feet swell and itch something fierce! So I really try to watch my salt in-take.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:53 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

KL01,

(Been out of town...Sorry for the late reply.)

I agree with the salt problem. I think I have seen low-sodium boullion somewhere. If you haven't tried the crackers yer, it may be worth looking for. I haven't had a chance to try them yet either, but I'm anxious to see how they come out!
Old 02-17-2004, 11:58 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: lulu1125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Started June 15 2003, REstarted Sept 5 2003
I made this dip for a party I had Satrurday night. I served it with 'cheese crackers' made from american cheese. It was wonderful, and the 'cheese chips' were perfect with it! Thanks for the recipe - it's a keeper in our house now!
lulu1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:39 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smellykitty
Stats: 175/143.5/115
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/20/2004
I sure would like to know what the seasonings are in "chicken in a bisket"!
smellykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:57 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
KLO1 - your dip recipe sounds great... going shoppng tommorrow, so I'll be stocking up.

Sheryl5 _ Can you post your biscuit recipe? Sorry if it's been posted before, there are so many out there, and I do MISS my crackers... Thanks
Bar10der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:21 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

When I was in town today I checked the box of chicken flavored crackers and other that the "junk" the main flavoring was chicken! So I guess just using the chicken boullion will work!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stewcarol
I am trying this dip today. It had a ton of favorable reviews on a recipe site!
stewcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
StewCarol do a search in this forum and you will come up with a lot of threads.

Check this one out.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...in-course.html
I still love this one and the orginal dip.There are many friends here who love this and the main course one.

Last edited by rosethorns; 07-10-2013 at 10:20 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stewcarol
Thank you, dip turned out great and saving 2 tubs for future. Would cut in half in future for my family. Will check out main course version.
stewcarol is offline   Reply With Quote