Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2004, 08:01 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BayAreaGal
Can I use Atkins Pancake Mix in place of Bake Mix?

I went "off" Atkins pancakes about a year ago when I started to worry about my soy intake. But I still have about 7 boxes of it left. What can I do with it? I was wondering whether I can use it to make the Artisan Bread that everyone is raving about.
BayAreaGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2004, 06:40 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Exelis
Stats: 295/265/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: (1st 1/6/03 - 70 lbs lost) This time: 4/2/05
I don't think it will work in place of the bake mix very often. I'm sure you've noticed that the final product tends to be very dense, and a little sweet. You could try it, I suppose, in sweet recipes.

If desired, adding a little baking powder and/or sour cream may help to 'lighten' up the final product a bit, instead of leaving it so dense.
Exelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Exelis

Is there anything else I can use the Pancake Mix for? Breading perhaps? I don't want it to go to waste. I just don't want to use it for pancakes, especially now that I've discovered that I prefer almond flour pancakes.

Last edited by BayAreaGal; 02-05-2004 at 07:05 AM..
Old 02-05-2004, 07:08 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Exelis
Stats: 295/265/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: (1st 1/6/03 - 70 lbs lost) This time: 4/2/05
I've used it (with baking powder and seasoned with onion, garlic, and salt) as a sort of tempura coating. Mix it a little thick, refrigerate for a while, and dip partially frozen chicken strips into it. (batter sticks better when it's cold and going onto cold food) Immediately drop into deep fryer with oil around 375 degrees F.

Don't do too many at a time, though, else you'll cool the oil too much and get icky greasy chicken... The key is to keep the oil hotter than 350.

These come out very much like the 'chicken fingers' sold at a chinese food place. You could also make a sweet and sour sauce for it, much like the Chinese places do. I do this the same as I do orange sauce... Just use splenda-sweetened pineapple and cherry sodas if available (about 4 parts pineapple to 1 part cherry, I'd say). Here's the link to my sauce recipe: My LC BBQ Sauce (plus)

You could do something similar with fish, or veggies, maybe changing the seasonings a bit.

Last edited by Exelis; 02-05-2004 at 07:14 AM..
Exelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:36 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Ooooo! That sounds good! Thanks, Exelis!