Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mfarm
Stats: 153/118/120 Height 5'0"
Start Date: 8/20/03
All-Bran muffins

Does anyone have the recipe for the All-Bran muffins that used to be on the box? I bought the All-Bran with extra fiber and was thinking about making some of the muffins but can't find the recipe. I know I would have to make some changes to the original recipe.
mfarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: mommedawne
Stats: Bigger than I ought to be, smaller than I was.
WOE: Drastically reduced carbs.
I was curious so I googled for you.

Is this it?

1 1/4 c all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tesp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all bran or bran buds cereal
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
1/3 cup shortening or vegetable oil
stir together flour. baking powder, salt and sugar set aside
measure cereal and milk into a large mixing bowl combine then set aside 1-2 minutes to soften. add egg and shortening beat well. add flour mixture, stirring only until combined.
fill 12 muffin cups bake at 400 for 25 minutes

or this?

Make Ahead Bran Muffin Batter
Whenever I worked at Pillsbury on a Bake-Off I would make a batch of these muffins on Sunday evening. Then every morning, I got up at 5:30, put a batch in the oven, took a shower, and the muffins would be ready when I was.

5 cups flour
1 15-oz. box bran flakes cereal with raisins
3 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup plain vegetable oil
4 cups buttermilk

Combine flour, cereal, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix well to combine. Add beaten eggs, oil and buttermilk and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Cover bowl tightly with waxed paper and foil. You should chill this batter in refrigerator for at least 24 hours before using. The batter will keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

When you're ready to bake the muffins, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line muffin pans with paper liners. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean and the tops spring back when touched lightly with fingertip. Makes 48 muffins

Click Here For Printer-Friendly Version
mommedawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:31 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

mommedawne, the first recipe sounds like it. I'm going to try subbing and see what I come up with. If they turn out, I'll post it. If not, in the trash they go!! Thanks so much!
Old 02-01-2004, 06:55 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 265.5/240.5/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
Here's a recipe that was on the FiberFit web site (liquid splenda), using the All-Bran extra fiber cereal. I made it using TrishZ's liquid splenda.

* Exported from MasterCook *

FiberFit Bran Muffins

Serving Size : 12

2 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup half and half
1 tablespoon FiberFit -- or liquid sweetener equiv to 4T sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract -- or maple extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup whey vanilla protein powder
4 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
1 cup All-Bran Extra Fiber cereal
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350f. Line or grease 12 muffin tins very well. Add ingredients to mixing bowl in order listed, scraping sides as needed. Bake 14-16 minutes.

This makes a very good, but "plain" bran muffin, which is not overly sweet, by design. You may wish to double the amount of Fiberfit, or extract, use a different kind of nut, or jazz up these muffins by adding a half cup of chopped dried fruit.

Source: "TrulyLowCarb.com"

Per Serving (excluding nuts): 188 Calories; 17g Fat (73.4% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 40mg Cholesterol; 148mg Sodium.
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:32 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
The one I have from the All-Bran box (from many years ago) is the same as the first one mommedawne posted, except it calls for 1/4 cup oil, instead of 1/3 cup and they bake for 20 minutes. I also have the one from the Nabisco 100% Bran box:

Better Bran Muffins
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups 100% Bran
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup oil

Mix bran cereal and milk; let stand 5 minutes. Add egg and oil; beat well. Add combined dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:02 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Linda, may I ask for your opinion? Subbing the sugar for Splenda and the milk for cream is no problem, but what would you think of subbing the flour for almond flour and soy flour mixed? Or would you think I would have to use the baking mix for this?

Thanks everyone for the recipes. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'm going to try one of them. Hope they turn out!
Old 02-01-2004, 09:08 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Jazzy, did you think they turned out "plain" when you made them or did someone else add that to the recipe? Also, I don't have the Fiberfit or liquid Splenda, any ideas of how much the granular Splenda I would use or would it even work since it isn't liquid?
Old 02-01-2004, 12:02 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
mfarm, my low carb bread and baking experience is very limited. I'm just starting to use things like bake mix. I've never used soy flour. I think I might try using a bake mix (such as MiniCarb or Atkins) and see what happens. I think that almond flour might be too dense with all that bran, but who knows.

It looks like the Nabisco 100% Bran recipe might be easier to convert to low carb than the All Bran one because it uses less flour, milk and bran cereal, but you still get 12 muffins. It's been so long since I've made either recipe, but I seem to recall that I liked that one better anyway.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:47 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 265.5/240.5/185
WOE: Low Carb/Weight Watchers
mfarm, that info was original to the recipe, not my words. Because of it, I upped the artificial sweetener a bit and I thought they were fine (I used maple extract instead of vanilla). You can use granular Splenda instead of liquid. Since it measures just like sugar, that would be 4T of Splenda (or 6 packets) and it would add 6g carbs to the total or 0.5g to each muffin.
JazzyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:11 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jazzy for the info!