Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: firechef
Stats: 311/302.6/210
WOE: VLC - High Fat %
Start Date: 1/1/14
Leftover Chicken?

Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before, but how do you all use leftover chicken. I have a HUGE amount of leftover smoked chicken that I made for a party last weekend. Other than chicken salad, what are some tasty low-carb things I can make with this?

Thanks so much,

firechef
firechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenifer_in_CA
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/28/04
Hah! When I read your title, the first thing that came to mind was chicken salad. LOL

What about some type of soup, like a chicken vegetable or something? Or maybe you can do an egg drop type. I bet that would be yummy. Some chicken broth, a touch of sesame oil and an egg.

Let's see, what else ....... you can make SherrieLee's tortillas and do enchiladas or make some of that artisian bread and make sandwiches!

Ooh, or you can make the cheesey chicken and green bean recipe that's floating around here. It was originally Dottie's green bean recipe, but then someone changed it to add chicken. I've had it before and it was DELICIOUS! Come to think of it, there are probably a ton of casserole type dishes you could make.

Hope this helps!
Jenifer_in_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
today i took leftover pork (you could use chicken) and i put it in a pan with some butter, peppers, onions, 1/4 cup of kidney beans and cajun seasoning. i then heated it all up. i put the mix in 2 lettuce leaves with a sprinkle of cheddar and a dollop of sour cream for awsome bean and pork (or chicken) burrito's.
trishthedish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:35 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SkinnyinTexas
Make the Mushroom Chicken and Sausage Casserole that I believe Dottie Or LindaSue posted. This is GREAT!!!

3 - 4 Cups cooked chicken, cubed
1 lb. pork sausage (hot)
1 stalk celery, chopped fine
1 Tbls. onion, chopped fine
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
16 oz. bag frozed cauliflower, cooked & well drained.
8 oz. shredded cheddar
Salt
1/2 teas. black pepper
Paprika

Brown the sausage whith celery, onions and mushrooms. Stir the cream cheese into the sausage mixture until well blended. Coarsely chop the cooked cauliflower. Mix all ingredients and spread ina greased 9x13 baking dish. Dust top with paprika. Bake covered with foil at 350 for about 30 min. Uncover and bake until hot and bubbly and top is slightly browned about 15 min.
SkinnyinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:02 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: firechef
Stats: 311/302.6/210
WOE: VLC - High Fat %
Start Date: 1/1/14
Thanks for all of your suggestions, it really got me thinkin!
firechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:41 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SSin-Deb
Stats: 245/164 /160 ~ 6'1"
WOE: HCG R4P2 (previous Somersizer)
Start Date: April, 2008 (Somersize 2-01)
We buy rotisserie chickens from Costco, bring them home and pull all the meat off the carcass just for these recipes. We Somersize and don't count carbs, so I apologize in advance if any of these recipes are too high in carbs. Here are 3 of our favorite ways to use cooked chicken: My personal notes are in <> and at the end.

Chicken Enchilada Soup

Here’s a yummy recipe I recreated that a local restaurant makes. This tastes just like eating chicken enchiladas and easy to make too!!

1 Spanish onion, peeled <I use sweet onions>
4 cloves garlic, peeled <I use 3 tsp of jarred minced garlic>
1 4oz can diced green chilies
6 cups chicken broth (3 cans)
2 tbs olive oil
1 tsp red chili powder <I use 2 tsp>
2 tsp ground cumin
3 tbs. tomato paste (freeze the rest for later use in zip loc bag) <I use the whole small can>
1 lb thinly sliced chicken breast (or 7-8 chicken tenders)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese <sometimes I put this in - most times not>
1 lime <I omit>
salt and pepper to taste

1. Puree first 3 ingredients together in food processor. Heat stock pot with olive oil add the puree, chili powder, cumin and tomato paste, sauté stirring constantly about 1 minute. Add broth and let simmer for 15 minutes. (You can simmer longer to enhance flavors)
2.Add in thinly sliced chicken breast and simmer about 15 more minutes. Add in lime juice, salt and pepper (a few dashes of Tabasco are good too) to your liking.
3.Before serving stir in a cup of cheddar cheese until melted.
4.Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with full fat sour cream , more cheese, diced tomatoes and scallions.
FOR LEVEL 2:
After step 1 add 4 broken up corn tortillas (toasted in oven).Simmer for additional 10 minutes then puree with hand held blender.
Continue on to step 2.

Posted by shannymarie on SS board
--------------------------------------------------------------------
CHICKEN CHOP SUEY (mjlibbey)
3 tablespoons peanut oil {we use 50-50 peanut and sesame}
2 slices gingerroot, cut into 1x1/8" pieces {omitted}
1 cup chopped onion {scallions}
2 cups chopped celery {will omit this next time - there’s celery in the canned veggies}
dash pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons water chestnut flour (optional)* {we used 2T}
1 can (14 ounce) chicken broth
3 cans La Choy Fancy Vegetables, drained
2 cups precooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
2 teaspoons soy sauce {increase}
sweetener to equal 2 teaspoons of sugar {1 packet splenda)}
Over med-hi heat in fry pan, heat oil and slices of gingerroot. When oil is hot enough the root will sizzle. Let it sizzle for 15 seconds, then add onions, celery and pepper. Saute for 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in water chestnut flour, if using. When combined, add in broth, vegetables and chicken. Heat to boiling. Add soy sauce and sweetener. Mix well to combine and dissolve sweetener.
*This ingredient has been declared not legal by Suzanne's site. It's up to you, if you want to use it or not. It's made from dehydrated water chestnuts and then ground into a flour.
Hope you enjoy this dish.

Mary @ SS site

Deb’s notes are in {....}
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Layered Chicken Salad

This has been one of our favorite salads for years. I had to Somersize it by replacing the original peas with sugar snap peas. It's really easy to make and tastes so good. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

3-4 boneless (skinless) chicken breasts
1 head chopped lettuce
1 can diced water chestnuts (I then chop them)
8oz sugar snap peas
1-2 bunches of green onions (scallions)
mayonnaise
grated (powdery) Parmesan cheese

Chop a head of lettuce (head lettuce) and put that in for the bottom layer in your bowl. For the chicken, I typically use rotisserie chicken meat (it's so moist and flavorful). You can also simply boil chicken breasts and then shred them (I pulse them a bit in my food processor - not too much though, you want 'pieces'). Then add the water chestnuts, chopped scallions and chopped sugar snap peas. Cover this all a good layer of mayonnaise, then sprinkle on a generous layer of parmesan. Cover and chill for 24 hours. Stir well and enjoy.

Notes: I have a neat little manual hand chopper that I use for the sugar snap peas. These peas (if you're not familiar with them) are not the snow peas, which are flat and typically used in stir fries. These are very plump and depending how mature they are, will have 'peas' inside.

This recipe is basically "to taste". We use a lot of parmesan cheese - it really flavors the dish. This will typically last about 2-3 days, then it starts getting watery.

DebB @ SS site
Old 01-28-2004, 08:39 AM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Kmcg
WOE: Atkins / Maintenance
Don't forget you could also freeze it in meal-size portions for the foundation of several quick meals. I love having cooked chicken, pork and ground beef in my freezer, ready to grab when I'm in a hurry.

Karen
Kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote