Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2004, 06:53 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: duhfur
Start Date: 1/5/2004
Cheap Potluck Ideas Needed

Our church is having a potluck this weekend. I want to make a main dish so i am sure my husband and I have something to eat. We don't have a lot of money right now though.

I'm going to make deviled eggs but I need a main dish as well.

Any ideas? The only thing I have thought of so far is chicken wings in the crockpot...
duhfur is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2004, 07:16 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: mommedawne
Stats: Bigger than I ought to be, smaller than I was.
WOE: Drastically reduced carbs.
Hi, duhfur,
How about a nice spinach salad with some chicken mixed in? A hamburger chili or meatballs with sauce kept warm in the crock pot aren't too expensive. Or, try Dottie's green bean casserole with some chicken mixed in. A big pan full shoud only take a couple of breasts. maybe you could pick up a rotisserie chicken to put in the casserole. My Super Walmart puts theirs on sale for 1.98 sometimes. Have you checked the casserole sticky? There are quite a few good recipes there, including chicken and broccoli casserole. Veggie frittattas are really good and you can use up what's left in your fridge. I'll come back with more ideas later if you haven't already received more good ones.

Last edited by mommedawne; 01-27-2004 at 07:20 AM..
mommedawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 07:23 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Get a big pack of cheap ground beef and cook it with a chopped onion, some bell pepper and taco type seasonings(cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper)and add a can of diced tomatoes to kind of bind it together(you can add frozen spinach to this too). Spread that in the bottom of a big pan then top with salsa and some shredded cheese and just serve it with a spoon! It's a kind of mock piccadillo -very taste, pretty low carb and VERY cheap - especially if you can find ground beef that's marked down for quick sale!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:13 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diajoh
If it won't blow the budget, try chicken thighs on a stick. Buy boneless, skinless chicken thighs and slice into strips (easier while still frozen). Thread onto bamboo skewers and stick in a plastic bag with marinade. Cook in a pan, in the oven or on a grill (including GF). Serve with peanut sauce: peanut butter mixed with fresh lime juice, coconut milk and fish sauce if you have it. Curry is cheap: any cheap meat (again, even if you hate thighs try in curry) chunked and cooked with coconut milk and curry spices or curry powder. You can add leftover veggies to it to make it thicker, and serve on shredded, cooked or raw, cabbage. I like to use Thai curry paste and fresh basil in my curry, but really, it's whatever is in your spice cabinet along with meat and coconut milk or cream (not sugared, please!). You can add Splenda to it if you like a sweet curry, and top with shredded coconut and chopped nuts.
157/178/130
62" tall, 53 years old
Start Atkins 17.06.02 and failed badly
diajoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandee
Stats: 155/136/125
Start Date: Jan. 2003
We have potlucks at church once a quarter and I go through the same thing: trying to think of something different and keep it LC without breaking the budget. My staples for this are cole slaw and deviled eggs. I like your chicken wing idea. I have seen recipes for "pizza" casseroles that sound good and was thinking I would fix something like that next time. Or how about Linda's tuna or salmon muffins?
Sandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 04:27 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Here are some ideas. They all use hamburger, but then that's probably the quickest and easiest meat to prepare and relatively cheap.

ENCHILADA BAKE
Crust:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon low carb taco seasoning
8 ounces shredded cheddar

Beat or whisk the cream cheese and eggs until smooth. Add the cream and seasoning; mix well. Stir in cheese; mix well. Grease a 9 x 13" baking dish; spread the cheese mixture evenly over the bottom. Bake at 375║, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before adding the topping.

Topping:
1 pound hamburger
3 teaspoons low carb taco seasoning
8 1/2 ounce jar enchilada sauce
4 ounce can chopped green chiles
8 ounces shredded cheddar

Brown the hamburger; drain fat. Stir in the seasoning, enchilada sauce and chiles. Spread over the crust. Top with cheese. Reduce oven to 350║ and bake another 20 minutes or so until hot and bubbly. Serve with the toppings of your choice (add additional carbs).

Makes 8-12 servings (8 servings - 4.5 net carbs each) (12 servings - 3 net carbs each)

This may not look pretty, but it's cheap and very tasty:

DOTTIE'S BURGER SCRAMBLE FLORENTINE
2 pounds hamburger
1 1/2 ounces onion, chopped (about 1/2 a small onion)
10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
8 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Spray a 2-quart casserole with non-stick spray. Brown hamburger and onion in a large pot or Dutch oven; drain fat. Stir in spinach; mix until well combined; add salt and pepper. Add cubed cream cheese and stir until blended, mashing it into the meat to blend well. Stir in parmesan and cream; mix well. Pour into casserole dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350║ 30-35 minutes, until bubbly and browned.

Makes 6-8 servings (6 servings - 3 net carbs each) (8 servings - 2.5 net carbs each)

Variation: This is very good with a 4 ounce can of mushrooms, drained, and a clove of garlic, minced, added.
Makes 6-8 servings (6 servings - 4 net carbs each) (8 servings - 3 net carbs each)

HAMBURGER-BROCCOLI ALFREDO CASSEROLE
2 pounds hamburger
1 small onion, diced (2 1/2 ounces)
10 ounces frozen broccoli florets
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a large skillet, brown the hamburger and onion, seasoning with salt and pepper; drain fat. Meanwhile, cook the broccoli until tender-crisp; drain very well and season with salt and pepper. Put the cream cheese in a microwaveable bowl and microwave on HIGH about 45 seconds until soft. Whisk until creamy and smooth. Gradually whisk in cream until smooth, then stir in parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Mix hamburger and broccoli in a large, greased casserole (2 1/2 quarts or larger). Pour in cream sauce and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bake at 350║ for about 35 minutes, until bubbly and browned on top.

Makes 6-8 servings (6 servings - 4 net carbs each) (8 servings - 3 net carbs each)

This is a very nice, homey casserole. My husband gave it a thumbs up. Mushrooms would be a nice addition, but count the additional carbs.

SPINACH LASAGNA
10 ounce frozen, chopped spinach, thawed & drained
1 pound hamburger
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce (mine had 10 carbs per 1/2 cup)
8 ounces cream cheese
1 egg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 ounces mozzarella, shredded
2 tablespoon parmesan cheese (I used the kind in a can)

Brown the hamburger with the onion; drain off fat. Mix in the garlic powder and spaghetti sauce; season to taste and heat until bubbly. Meanwhile, soften the cream cheese in a medium-size microwaveable bowl for about 40-60 seconds. Stir until creamy; beat in egg and pepper with a spoon until well mixed. Blend in the spinach. Spread half the meat mixture evenly in the bottom of a greased, 8 x 8" glass baking pan. Spread spinach mixture over the meat; top with the mozzarella, then the rest of the meat (it may not completely cover the top, but that's ok). Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and vent one corner. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes; then reduce to MEDIUM and cook for another 7-10 minutes until hot and bubbly. Let stand 3 minutes before serving.

Makes 6-9 servings (6 servings - 4.5 net carbs each) (9 servings - 3 net carbs each)
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:48 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaulaP
I can attest to Linda Sue's enchilada ake - it is awesome! My non-low-carbing DH loved it too. When I took leftovers to my office, everyone wanted to know what smelled so good when I was nuking it.
PaulaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:28 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lifer
Stats: Unhealthy/better/best
WOE: Low carb, real food.
Start Date: May, 2009
Bumping this because I just tried the enchilada bake and it was awesome!! (It reminds me of a mexican pizza)
Looking forward to the lasagna.
LindaSue, you are a low carb culinary genuis!

Thanks!
Karen
Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:09 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Lifer, if you've had the Deep Dish Pizza, you might recognize some of the ingredients and cooking procedures. The Enchilada Bake is a Mexican take on that recipe. Thus, it's Mexican pizza!
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:47 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bruce
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1 June 1999
potluck

Try chicken adobo. 3 pounds of chicken thighs, 2/3 cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup soy sauce, a medium onion sliced and some minced garlic. Jut throw it all in a pot and simmer. Very easy and very delicious. If you want to cut down on carbs, you can leave out the garlic or onion and it will still be good.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:09 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Bumping for _jr.

[COLOR=red]*waving to jr*[/COLOR]

"Mom"

Hey, Bruce...just noticed you posted here. Are you the same SuperBruce that used to post a lot about a year ago? The one with all the awesome recipes like Klingon Blood?
(Don't reply if you are traveling incognito)
Lifer
Old 02-06-2004, 01:31 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
Bumping for Leslie!!!

Nikki
Nikki2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Bump (cuz I haven't got these all printed out yet)

Karen