Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2004, 03:12 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: feather319
Stats: started: 180 lowest:127 now:184 goal: 140
WOE: Ketogenic/Anabolic/Paleo
Start Date: April 2002 Reinducted 2009
Making Knox gelatin vs jello brand jello question. Need help

I make my own jello from stevia, 2 packs of knox gelatin, and 1 koolaid packet. My jello seems so much firm than the jello brand gelatin from the box. I like my gelatin because it has 0 carbs and I eat a lot of jello but it is costing me a ton! I really like the jello brand b/c it tastes better and it's cheaper to buy but it has 4 carbs for the whole box.

I have 2 questions:

1) If I use one knox gelatin instead of 2, will my gelatin be softer like the jello brand?

2) I was thinking I could save money buy mixing the jello brand and my version of gelatin so I wouldn't have to use so much stevia. Plus, knox gelatin is more expensive than the premade stuff! This would make the jello have carbs but it would only have 2 vs 4 if I eat all 2 cups at one time. I use 1 Tablespoon to sweeten 2 cups worth of my gelatin. How could mix my version with the jello brand?
feather319 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2004, 04:10 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Galatea
Use one envelope of knox. You can get knox in a big tub at some stores. It is cheaper that way.
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:00 AM   #3

Gallery:
I use 3 envelopes, 2 Koolaid packets, and 4c water. It comes out not too firm, not too soft - perfect. I bought a huge box of Knox. I did wonder why it was more than the pre-mixed stuff...
Old 01-27-2004, 12:47 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheaKat
Stats: 257/220/150 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/09/03
Here is my recipe for SF (aspartame free) Jello...It's easy, flavorful, and has a consistency just like packaged Jello. You will need a 6cup bowl for this recipe.

2 packets unsweetened Kool-Aid
2 packets Knox gelatine
1 tsp liquid Splenda (you may want to experiment w/this amount)
1/4 tsp Stevia powder (I use NOW Stevia Extract)
dash of salt
2 cups boiling water
2 cups cold water

1. Mix dry ingredients (Kool-Aid, Gelatine, Stevia, salt) til well blended.
2. Add boiling water and stir, stir, stir until everything is completely dissolved...this may take 2 or 3 minutes.
3. Add cold water, stir.
4. Add liquid Splenda, stir. (Note: I have a very large sweet tooth, and I like my stuff really sweet, so you may want to start with 1/2 tsp and adjust to your own taste).
5. Cover & refrigerate overnight.
6. ENJOY!

This makes 4 one cup servings and has 0 carbs and 50 calories for the whole batch.

You can experiment with the sweeteners to suit yourself. You could eliminate the stevia, and just use the liquid splenda, or vice versa...just be sure to taste test before refrigeration.

I use the NOW Stevia Extract because it is a high quality and high rebausiside stevia powder...as recommended by locarbman...and
has a less bitter aftertaste if too much is used.

The reason I use two sweeteners is for the synergistic effect. They work well together for sweetening power and good flavor.

"No sugar tonight in my coffee...No sugar tonight in my tea" TheGuessWho
TheaKat is offline   Reply With Quote