Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2004, 07:00 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrielee
Tortillas Under 1 carb each! HUGE & TASTY

Sherrie's Tortillas
---------------------------------
Basically it's my burger bun recipe posted below, but I discovered that if you take a big round peice of parchment and spread a very thin layer of the mixture onto the paper and nuke it for 1 minute. You can actually watch it puff up like a tortilla in the microwave. They only luck I have had is on parchment paper.

Take it out and place the paper on a dish towel since it will be steaming pretty royally! Let it cool completely and then gently take a butter knife and free the edges all the way around and then it will peel right off the paper. It's pretty sturdy after that, I was really surprised! It won't seem like it when you are freeing it from the paper.

You can then lightly toast it in dry pan on the stove on both sides and store them in the fridge. It's really good too when you add some seasonings or just plain. We tried some parmesan sprinkled on top and it was awesome and still under a carb per wrap! That's our favorite ones, parmesan wraps.

I got about 20 11" rounds out of the recipe, so they are under a carb each! If your mix gets too thick while sitting just add a little water to it. It should be the consistancy of pancake batter.

They are my hubby's new favorite thing! I think you could add some sweetner in place of the garlic/onion and get an awesome crepe that holds up better than my high carb ones did.

They don't get stiff at all and they warm right up on about 20 seconds nuking.

Give it a try and tell me what you think! Now we are making our own subway wraps and storing them in the fridge! They are great cold!

Sherrie

Basic Brurger Bun Recipe
---------------------------------
1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
3 eggs
3 tsp Splenda
1/2 cup Atkins Bake Mix
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1/4 cup buttermilk

Beat cream cheese with mixer until blended smooth, add the remaining ingredients. Spray pan with a light coat of olive oil flavored non stick spray and pour in pan about 1 to 2 Tbps of mix. It will make a perfect round bun! You can freeze them and reheat them in the toaster! My hubby says this is the best bread yet.

It should come out to about 1 carb per bun! The whole recipe is 17 carbs
------------------------------------------------------
Make your own Atkins Bake Mix

1 cup soy flour
2 cups soy protein isolate
2 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Splenda

Sift together then store and use as you would Dr. A's. It's much cheaper and things come out about the same.
sherrielee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2004, 08:43 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ladygladys
Stats: 240.6/234/130
WOE: Pregnant so Maintenance
Start Date: January 15th 2004
Thank you sherri!

Thank you Sherri! I love all your recipes! Keep 'em coming!

Gladys
ladygladys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Galatea
Thanks, Sweets

Here are a couple of substittions for those who don't have fresh whole buttermilk on hand for the buttermilk in the recipe

1) Place l/4 C cream in bottom of blender, add 1/2 TBS of white vinegar, stir, and let it sit for about an hour. Then add all other ingredients

OR

2) Use powdered buttermilk (available in baking section of grocer) with additional 2 TBS of Bake Mix.

Last edited by Galatea; 01-23-2004 at 09:02 PM..
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 01:51 AM   #4

I made these and here are my comments and tips for others making them.

1) When I made the first ones, I seriously thought I had a thin amount, but in reality the batch would only have made about 7 - 8 tortillas - so then I thinned the batter and made them exceptionally thin. Thinner than I thought could really work - That made all the difference in the world. However, I still didn't realize they would work until later in the process.

2) I nuked them for the minute and then pan toasted them and stored them in the fridge. I was afraid after the toasting in the pan, that they wouldn't be pliable as they seemed brittle. However after a couple of hours in the fridge, they were no longer brittle.

3) When my son came home with his friends I got them out and made quesedillas and grilled burritos in them. WOW - - there is so much fat in the batter, that they grilled up as quesadillas and grilled chimichanga style burritos without having to use butter or new grease.

These are much better than La Tortilla brand tortillas which I think taste lousy.

These are super easy and really good!

Last edited by Galatea; 01-24-2004 at 02:01 AM..
Old 01-24-2004, 02:54 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pita
Stats: Lost 40 lbs
WOE: LC
I MADE CRACKERS !!!!

I made a wonderful mistake because I wasn't paying attention !!!!
I used the carbsense zero carb bake mix ( i don't have atkins bake mix and I don't want it either) After I mixed everything up I put it in the nuker and because of a distraction ended up cooking for about a minute and a half....so it was kind of overdone, I cooked it in a pan on the stove (like you said) but because I was so busy talking to my DH I overcooked it (again) It was kind of crispy so I just kept cooking it for a while longer. It was not extremely crispy until it cooled. I was just thinking yesterday that i wish i had crackers to eat with my guacamole and now I do.
I used to use the la tortilla for crackers ( i nuked them) but they don't really taste good by themselves and I don't get many crackers for 3 carbs. These "mistake" crackers are very good without anything on them and very low carb. I'm going to finish the batch sometime saturday , its 5 am now..... I'm sick of being in the kitchen. If things would have gone smoother in the kitchen I wouldn't have crackers.
pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 03:50 AM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LCRedhead
Stats: Total Lost 9.5
WOE: SS
Start Date: Aug. 22, 2008
I'm thinking Nachos! Can't wait to try this recipe.
LCRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 04:33 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debclements
Stats: 148/141/120 5'2" 52 yo
WOE: Clean 90% of the time
Start Date: 01/21/06
Thank you Sherrie for posting this! I will make these for sure...hopefully today!

You have no idea what a blessing you are to the Low Carb community - especially to those of us who are not creative in the kitchen!

Deb
NE Indiana
debclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 04:59 AM   #8

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
pita, do you think using the Carbsense bake mix had anything to do with the different texture? I plan to look for either some Carbsense or Atkins bake mix this weekend so I can try some of these recipes. I'd rather have zero carbs that the high carbs of the Atkins mix though, if it will work just the same. There are two Super Wal-Marts within about a mile or so of each other and I will scour every inch of both to see if I can find the bake mix.
LindaSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:46 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheryl5
LindaSue,

I haven't made this recipe yet, but I have subbed the Carbsense for Atkins Bake Mix in several things. I haven't noticed a difference in texture or "performance." I do think it tastes better, though, plus you get the added benefits of less carbs. It costs less, but you get less than the Atkins canister, so I guess that's a wash. Carbsense is definitely my choice!

Sheryl
Sheryl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:11 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CMIODOWS
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: 11/17/03
Silpat

Do you think you could use a Silpat instead of the parchment paper?
CMIODOWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:02 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
Sherrielee, you are an amazing cook! Keep it up girl
parrotchic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 11:01 AM   #12
LCF Game Room Groupie

Gallery: Jessi
These sound great, and I will definitely try them. Aren't you the one, Sherrie, who got us the Artisan Bread recipe? I am in love. Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!!!
Jessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 11:06 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LindaSue
[B]pita, do you think using the Carbsense bake mix had anything to do with the different texture?

I've never used the atkins bake mix so I really can't answer that but since a lot of people say that these 2 are interchangable I would try the carbsense if you can find it. It does not have a nasty taste (that's why I like it, and 0 carbs is great)
The only thing i can think of as far as the texture being different is that maybe my batter was a tiny bit thicker (it was like thin pancake batter but not really watery) and the fact that i overcooked it. I think overcooking it is key.

I was also impressed with the flavor ...it was very lite but it was a pleasant flavor, i would eat these without anything on them.

When you go to walmart try to find the atkins stuff -- ketchup, bbq sauce, muffin mixes etc... all the carbsense stuff was with the atkins items. If your walmart does not have something that other walmarts have I bet they can get it from their warehouse so you might want to talk to the manager.

Last edited by pita; 01-24-2004 at 11:07 AM..
Old 01-24-2004, 02:34 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

How thin?

How thin should I spread the batter on the parchment? How many tbsps ot tsps exactly? I wanna try and make these today because I am making beef fajitas for dinner.

Gladys
Old 01-24-2004, 03:01 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrielee
Spread them pretty thin, remember they will fluff up with they cook.

Sherrie
sherrielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 04:04 PM   #16

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi..

Just made these..they tasted great..Although the batter was
a little thick and I only got 11 out of them..which was fine.
Next time I will "thin it down" a little...Mine were more like
crepes, which was fine with me.. They were very easy to make.
and I did subbed oat flour for the soy and WPI for the soy protein
powder, as I always do.

I cooled them and put some parchment paper between them
and put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer.

Boy, that parchment paper is a miracle, isn't it???
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 04:46 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lifer
Stats: Unhealthy/better/best
WOE: Low carb, real food.
Start Date: May, 2009
Hi, LindaSue. I just came from my SuperWalmart (well, I say "my"...I had to drive over 30 miles and out into a really small community to get there...no SuperWalmart in St. Louis!!!) where I did find the carbsense 0 carb bake mix. They had a display in the side/center aisle that runs alongside of the food aisles. Not sure how other SW's do it but if you don't find it you should ask. I was really glad I picked up 2 boxes (under $5 each) when I got home and read this post.
They also had the Hood low carb milk but were out of chocolate.
It's really good...thick and rich like a milkshake @ 3 carbs per cup.
I found it for $1 more (than SW) at my local IGA.

Thank you, Sherrielee!!

Karen
Old 01-24-2004, 05:15 PM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
I made the Tortillas or wraps this evening. However, the recipe says it makes 20 11" tortillas or wraps. I got 15 really thin, but about 8" in diameter. I could see no possible way to make them any thinner, as they were so thin there are holes in them! They did work well on the parchment paper, and fried on the griddle very nicely. And they taste wonderful!
I then did a search for Quesadilla on the net, and found a recipe for Chicken Quesadillas. I used 4 of the wraps and made the Quesadillas for supper. They had not softened up, so broke up a bit as I put them together, but I proceeded and they tasted wonderful. My husband, (Mr Picky) said this is the very best thing I have ever made!
Now I need more suggestions on what to put in them for wraps that I might take to work with me this week. I can see making a type of burrito out of a scrambled egg, ham, onion and cheese. (And I am preparing ham for dinner tomorrow.) I think these would need to be heated in the microwave. Any other ideas? What about for a cold sandwich?
Thanks,
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:53 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

An Even Better Way To Make Crackers !!

I made Sherrielee's burger buns (on the stove) then I cut them into strips, put them on a double thickness of paper towels in the microwave (to soak up some of the oil). I cooked for 1 min then turned them over and cooked for 30 secs more. I let them cool for about 5 mins.

I am soooo happy. These crackers are fantastic !!!!!! Very crisp and taste great.

The buns I made ended up being 1/2 carb each so I got 4 little crackers for 1/2 carb. I might try to make them thinner next time so I can get more crackers (for the same amount of carbs)
Old 01-24-2004, 07:31 PM   #20
sarahj

Gallery: sarahj
OMG- I hope that these are as good as everyone says!! I love tortillas. I have tried the La Tortilla ones but I have to have a lot of goop to 'drown' out the taste of them. And I would much rather have one carb vs. three carbs.

How do these compare taste-wise to regular tortillas?

Thanks for the info. I can not wait to try them!
Old 01-25-2004, 01:58 PM   #21

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Bette: I think you can make them into Wrap Sandwiches..like
Subway..Because mine were thicker, they are more like egg
crepes. Last night I took some roastbeef, mayo and lettuce and
just wrapped it in the Wrap..so to speak...

Hmmm..if I were taking them to work, I would take my filling..
like egg salad, tuna salad separately, then put it together, so
they don't get soggy.

Tastewise, they don't taste like exactly like tortillas..(no corn), but
they have their own taste..and work well in many things..

I think they would work for lasagne noodles, too.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 02:40 PM   #22

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I tried these yesterday and couldn't get them off the parchment without them falling apart. I made them really thin. Maybe too thin. I ended up pouring the batter into a 9x13 pan and baking it. I cut it into squares and will use it for bread instead of tortillas. I wondered if you can use a Silpat mat for them? Can you even use Silpat in the microwave? I've never used one, but I've wanted one for a long time. I did like the flavor of these very well.
Sandy
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:02 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

They Taste Great But....

I may have over cooked mine because they stayed crispy so I couldn't wrap them around anything. I did dip them in some guacamole which was great!

I can't find FULL FAT buttermilk for the life of me so I had to use the 2% one ( added 2 more tbsp of the bake mix to make up for it).

Does anyone know how to make full fat buttermilk from scratch (sp?)?

Gladys
Old 01-25-2004, 03:08 PM   #24

I posted a substitute for buttermilk early in this thread and it is what I use. Just use cream and sour it with 1 Tbl of vinegar.

These aren't supposed to be like corn tortillas, they are suppose to be like flour tortillas.

My batch made 12 - they were about 9 inches across and they taste like flour tortillas when reheated afterbeinginthe fridge for a day.

Last edited by Galatea; 01-25-2004 at 03:12 PM..
Old 01-25-2004, 03:10 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Thank you!

Thanks, Galatea! So should I just throw away the low fat buttermilk?

Gladys
Old 01-25-2004, 03:12 PM   #26

I would still use it and toss in a little cream to make it thicker.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:26 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I made these today and I loved them, Had to have a piece ya know. The real test will come whrn my son and DIL and grandchildren come over for Fajitas tonight. I made some guacamole, and made someones Lemon dessertI think called fromage. Oh gosh, this was good too, I had to taste it. Now, I'm so full, I won't be able to eat dinner. Thanks to sherrie and the person who posted the lemon pudding dessert. I'll let ya know what the family thinks. Julie
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 04:23 PM   #28
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
I used yogurt in mine instead of the buttermilk. I don't think it made any difference, other than it might have made the batter a little thicker. I just added some more water to thin it down some, as Sherrie said in the directions to do if it thickened up while you were baking them. I have often used yogurt in place of buttermilk.
Bette
PS I made some ham spread with pecans and mayo, and will try that in a wrap tomorrow. Will see how it works and decide about taking them to work on Tues.
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:00 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenita
Yum

I made these yesterday, ate one with butter, then made them into enchiladas. Turned out really good! I used Carolyn's tip of subbing oat flour and WPI in the bake mix and had no problem peeling them off the parchment paper. Thanks for another great recipe.
Jenita
Jenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:04 AM   #30

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I have a ?. Do you spray the parchment paper with Pam first? And about how much batter do you pour on the paper for just one?
Thanks,
Sandy
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote