Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2004, 12:12 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oreo2
WOE: lc
bump
oreo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2004, 08:27 PM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
bump
Bar10der is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:01 AM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mayz
Stats: 170/155/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/11/04
How can I save this thread...

Is there away I can save this thread forever for reference?
Thanks, Mayz
Mayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:13 AM   #94
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SweettoothLady
SweettoothLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:38 AM   #95
Whoosh Fairy

Gallery: SusanY
Start Date: Today
Just a note to say that I am definitely going to try these next trip to the grocery store to get the ingredients.

Wanted to get my name on here for notification of any future posts on this thread.
SusanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:47 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Re: How can I save this thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mayz
Is there away I can save this thread forever for reference?
You can print it. There's a link at the bottom of the page that says "Show Printable Version". If you click on that, then print the thread, you'll have it for whenever you want it.
dizneegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:07 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: woodswoman
Stats: 157/120/125
Start Date: 4/21/03
Or if you use Internet Explorer, go to the top of your browser, click on File, then Save As and a box will pop up - pick a place on your computer to save it to (My Documents, etc.) and click Save.
( In case you don't have a printer. )

Last edited by woodswoman; 02-19-2004 at 03:10 PM..
woodswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:31 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/135/120 69yr.old 4'9"
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
Or make it one of your favorites by puting it in that place.
susume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:41 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NinaG
Stats: 5'2" 170/129/125?
Start Date: re-inducted 02/14/04
bump
NinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:42 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NinaG
Stats: 5'2" 170/129/125?
Start Date: re-inducted 02/14/04
bump
NinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:44 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kdog41
Stats: 197/156.6/160
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 01/12/2003
Quote:
Originally posted by LindaSue
pita, do you think using the Carbsense bake mix had anything to do with the different texture? I plan to look for either some Carbsense or Atkins bake mix this weekend so I can try some of these recipes.
I made the bake mix using the recipe below but using 3 cups of WPI for the soy ingredients.

Make your own Atkins Bake Mix

1 cup soy flour
2 cups soy protein isolate
2 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Splenda

You may want to give it a try if you have WPI.
kdog41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 12:22 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenks
Stats: 179/142/130
WOE: HCG shots
Start Date: April 2003/Jan 2004/March 2005/ April 2008
The soy protein isolate I bought to make my own bake mix has splenda in it. I made the tortillas without any spices and only added 1 packet of splenda, they were awesome but 2 sweet tasting for a sandwhich wrap, type stuff. Do you think adding spices will be enough or do I need a different kind of soy protein isolate.
TIA
jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 12:24 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

The soy protein isolate I bought to make my own bake mix has splenda in it- is this the wroung kind because when I made the tortillas they were too sweet to useas a tortilla, but I din't add any of the spices either. Do you think adding the spices would be enough or do I need a different soy protein isolate?
TIA
Old 03-06-2004, 08:52 PM   #104
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: amy031
Stats: 264.4/205.2/140
Quote:
Originally posted by jenks
The soy protein isolate I bought to make my own bake mix has splenda in it- is this the wroung kind because when I made the tortillas they were too sweet to useas a tortilla, but I din't add any of the spices either. Do you think adding the spices would be enough or do I need a different soy protein isolate?
TIA

is your soy protein isolate flavored---vanilla??? that is the only thing i can think of. b/c there is vanilla and unflavored or natural.

i haven't tried this recipe yet, but i can't wait until induction is over to give it a try.

i have a quesadilla with my name on it.
amy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:55 PM   #105
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: amy031
Stats: 264.4/205.2/140
Quote:
Originally posted by jenks
TIA

is your soy protein isolate flavored---vanilla??? that is the only thing i can think of. b/c there is vanilla and unflavored or natural.

i haven't tried this recipe yet, but i can't wait until induction is over to give it a try.

i have a quesadilla with my name on it.
amy031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:02 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

It was unflavored, but I went and bought a different kind-still tweaking for the right flavor. Do most of you soften the cream cheese first?TIA
Old 08-26-2005, 09:54 PM   #107
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sassy_7385
Sherrie is there any way possible you could post a picture of what the tortillas look like and how thin you spread them? I would truely appreciate it. I did not get 20 11" tortillas. I got like 15 and they were like 6" tortillas. Was my batter too thick? Also I used the kitchen aid silicone mat to microwave them on. The parchment paper was too hard for me to use. You need a lot of patience. Thanks in advance.
sassy_7385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetTLC
WOE: Atkins/moderate carbs.
Start Date: Re-inducted mid September 2004.
Hi there.

Well, I tried these. The taste was very good...like Lindasue said, they have a slight sweet, onion flavor...I really liked them and in my opinion, they are MUCH tastier than the low carb tortillas that I have purchased. I think that they would make great enchiladas. And, I think that you gals are right...these would make excellent savory crepes...maybe filled with creamed chicken or stuffed with ham and broccoli covered in cheese sauce. YUM!

I thought that these were very tricky to make. I ended up with about 15 tortillas...they were a little more thin than a regular tortilla and far more delicate and mine turned out to be about 8 inches in diameter. I did use water to thin the mixture out as was suggested and I ended up thinning the batter quite a bit. I did try the parchment paper method and it worked and I also tried using a stoneware plate with a circular center...I sprayed the center with Pam and poured mixture in that. The plate method worked about as well as the parchment for me. The only way that I could get the tortilla off of the parchment and the plate was to use a very thin metal spatula to carefully pry the tortillas up. I did rip about five of them while trying to remove them from the parchment and the plate. It took me quite some time to make all 15 tortillas because I had to be very careful but I think that they'd be worth another try...especially for enchiladas because the carb count is so low...plus, they do not have a strong soy flavor at all...I could not even taste soy! You have to work with your microwave to find the right amount of time to nuke these and sometimes I nuked them for more than a minute. If you nuke them too long, the edges start to get hard. Here's a pic:

God bless.

SweetTLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:13 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Hmmmm...I was just thinking of something else too. These would make good tortillas but the wrappers also remind me of lumpia skins...they are used for making Filipino style egg rolls. As an experiment, I took two tortillas that I made today and I tried to fry them. They are difficult to deep fry because they turn dark very, very fast. I used Atkins mix for the tortillas and Atkins mix does get dark very fast when you fry it...it's not the best for frying. So, maybe since Carbquick is better for frying, you could try to make the tortillas with Carbquick or Carbalose instead of Atkins mix and then try to use the wrappers for egg rolls or wontons. That would be a dream. I will have to try that sometime. If someone else tries that idea, let me know.

God bless.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:52 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hookmaster7
Stats: 220/180/130
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: JUNE 1999
Would CarbQuik work????
hookmaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:56 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

I'm not sure if carbquick would work but it's worth a try.

God bless.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:16 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Sorry that I have posted to this thread so many times *blush* but it has been fun to work with these and I want to share my results. Tonight I made some GOOD enchiladas using these tortillas (thanks, Sherrie)...the pic and recipe follows.

SweetTLC’s Classic Beef Enchiladas

Sauce ingredients:

2 Tablespoons Carbquick
4 ounces of tomato sauce (I use Cub Foods brand)
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 can of low sodium beef broth
Splenda (optional)
oil

Other ingredients:

8 tortillas from Sherrie’s Tortilla recipe (less than one carb each)
8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese
1 pound of cooked ground beef seasoned with Lindasue’s seasoning for tacos
( http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/seas...for_tacos.html )

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To make the sauce, whisk the Carbquick with a few tablespoons of oil in a medium sauce pan to form a loose paste over medium heat. Let it bubble while whisking for a minute or two. Then, SLOWLY whisk in the beef broth and the tomato sauce until the Carbquick mixture is fully incorporated and the sauce is smooth. Bring the sauce up to a low boil while stirring occasionally and then whisk in the spices. Turn the heat down to low and taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings to suit your taste. If you want to add a bit of sweetness, whisk in a bit of Splenda...if you think that the sauce needs salt, add salt. If you think that the sauce is too salty, adding a bit of Splenda will cut some of the saltiness. Set the sauce aside.

Spray a 9x13 pan with Pam spray. Put a couple of spoonfuls of sauce into the bottom of the pan just until the pan is covered. Mix 4 ounces of shredded cheddar into the seasoned meat. Carefully fill each tortilla with the hamburger mixture and put the rolled and filled tortillas into the pan. Pour enough sauce over the enchiladas to thoroughly cover. (extra sauce is good...much of the sauce will be absorbed by the tortillas while baking). Sprinkle the additional 4 ounces of cheese over the enchiladas and bake at 350 until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are heated through and bubbly. Garnish with sour cream.

Net carbs: 22.65 total for the whole pan or if you serve 4, 5.66 per serving
Old 09-06-2005, 04:52 AM   #113

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
Start Date: July 2002
They sure look yummy, SweetTLC!
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:20 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
I made a batch of these this afternoon and they are delicious. I just wanted to share that after reading all the comments about handling these, I was a little concerned. However, I sprayed the parchment with Pam and had absolutely no problem with removing these from the paper. I just took them straight from the microwave, dumped them from the paper to the skillet and browned them like a tortilla. I had no handling problems at all after I sprayed the paper.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:35 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan5767
Stats: 254/145/145
Start Date: 07/01/2004
I made these over the weekend and I agree with everyone the taste is great. However, despite using my microwave to soften up the tortilla mine remain rigid (more like a cracker). I've tried different times and so far haven't had any luck. Did I microwave and or toast them to long initially? Was my pan too hot that I used to toast them. Any ideas would be appreciated! I can't wait to try and make enchiladas!!

Susan
Susan5767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #116
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan5767
I made these over the weekend and I agree with everyone the taste is great. However, despite using my microwave to soften up the tortilla mine remain rigid (more like a cracker). I've tried different times and so far haven't had any luck. Did I microwave and or toast them to long initially? Was my pan too hot that I used to toast them. Any ideas would be appreciated! I can't wait to try and make enchiladas!!

Susan
I made some the other day. I did soften the cream cheese first, I just always do that, seems easier to mix that way.

Also, I cooked mine a little bit more until they weren't wet looking and let them cool completely. I used a butter knife to pry around the edges and then the rest of the tortilla came off easily. A couple of them left remnants stuck to the parchment paper. As someone said, spraying the parchment would help with that.

The first half of the batch I did according to recipe. The second half, I added chili powder and comino too, just for kicks. I got less out of mine, but I probably had them thicker and that's also why I had to cook them a bit longer, only 20-30 seconds.

I really like this recipe and only ate them as a sandwich bread. Tomorrow I'm going to try some more and make enchiladas, since that picture on this thread is so tempting...These are by far the best low-carb tortillas I've ever had and I've tried all the brands in the stores around here.

Thank you Sherrie for this recipe.
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:43 PM   #117
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kerrysgal
I think I missed something. Do the buns bake in the oven or the microwave? Can't seem to find that info. Thanks!
kerrysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #118
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrysgal
I think I missed something. Do the buns bake in the oven or the microwave? Can't seem to find that info. Thanks!
Hi! Are you talking about the tortillas or the best low carb bun ever?

For the tortillas, you use the microwave. For the buns, you use a waffle maker and some people use muffin top pans and use thier oven. There is a recipe for a bun that is made in the microwave--you use a tupperware bowl to make it. (sorry, can't recall the name of that recipe)
SugarBabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
has anyone put these into ****** to get the fat and calories/?
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:13 AM   #120

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm
has anyone put these into ****** to get the fat and calories/?
When I made them, I used MiniCarb bake mix and here's what I got from MasterCook:

Per Serving: 161 Calories; 13g Fat; 9g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

That's based on getting 8-10 tortillas per batch.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote