Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2004, 06:11 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrielee
LOL, I love you guys too! I'm happy to share and make life easier to live with low carb. I agree, life is just easier with a sandwich in it!

Sherrie
sherrielee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2004, 06:38 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
I didn't have any parchment paper so I tried freezer paper, then wax paper. I had to throw both away. The tortilla cooked to the papers and was not coming off. Then I tried my silpat and it worked great. I don't know if it's my microwave oven (almost 25 years old) or using the silpat but I had to cook them 2 1/2 minutes to get them done in the middle. I only made mine about 7" circles. My daughter was very impressed. We're both tired of the La Tortilla brand because of the strong soy taste.

The enchiladas were wonderful. I've always layered my tortillas instead of rolling them so I didn't have to worry about these cracking. I make this sort of like lasagna. A layer of sauce, tortillas, meat, cheese and repeat till dish is full. Tonight I used some left over grilled chicken for the meat. It was yummy!!!
Thanks, Sherrielee!

Beverly
Old 01-31-2004, 02:35 AM   #63
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: marilole
Stats: 345/315/175
WOE: lean for life
Start Date: restarted May 13th 2004
I was wondering if I could use the "release" foil paper and instead of microwave, i can put it in an iron grill? I guess I just have to try it.. any other suggestion? this paper is not supposed to stick.
marilole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 03:11 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Motts Landing
Start Date: restarted Jan 08'
Alright...I admit defeat!! These lil' critters whooped me for sure
I tried making these but the 1st one was a tad thick and took 2min. to get cooked in the middle. Thinned it out a bit and spread further out. Maybe my microwave (3 years old) does not cook right because every one needed a minimum of 1 1/2 minutes. They did not puff up at all like yours did Linda Sue. Mine were more like a crepe. No matter what I tried (parchment paper, waxed paper) they would not just "peel off." They tore, or got holes in them. Now I am not a dummy in the kitchen so what is the trick?? They have a wonderful flavor as I have made these into the waffle buns a few times but this tortilla thing has done me in for sure!!! I used approx. 1/4 cup batter per tortilla and gave up after 5 saving the remaining batter for tomorrow. I think it would have yeilded about 9 or 10 for me. Any ideas??
Thanks!
Motts Landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 04:20 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cbonk
Stats: 201/183/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 12, 2004
These sound wonderfull!!! But what is WPI???
cbonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 07:22 PM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NEPatriots
Start Date: 1 Jan 04
Ok...I made these today and we all loved them. The key for me was to make sure the mixture was really smooth like a thin cake batter. Parchment paper worked great and I got about 10-11 shells out of the recipe and I tipped it upside down and just peeled the paper off of the shell. Made great quesadillas out of them. Will use them next time for manicotti.
NEPatriots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 08:31 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: feather319
Stats: started: 180 lowest:127 now:184 goal: 140
WOE: Ketogenic/Anabolic/Paleo
Start Date: April 2002 Reinducted 2009
When you use cream instead of buttermilk, isn't it much thicker and aren't the calories and fat way more. I'll risk some carbs using the low-fat stuff if there is so much fat in these.

Do you microwave one at a time? How long does it take to make these?
feather319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 06:50 AM   #68
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
feather319, we're only talking about 1/4 cream or buttermilk here. I used cream because I couldn't see buying a whole bottle of buttermilk for only 1/4 cup, then throwing the rest away. I had cream on hand already.

According to the USDA site, 1 cup buttermilk (the lowfat kind) has twice the carbs of 1 cup cream, but only has about 5 grams of fat vs. 88 grams for cream.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:11 PM   #69
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Oh my, Nachos!

I just finished using up the Tortillas that I made last Saturday.....as the base for Nachos. They were just wonderful. I just put the tortillas on the oven rack at 300║ and crisped them, then busted them in to pretty nice chips and put the rest of the ingredients on them. We had Margarittas with them, all in all a very good start to watching the Super Bowl!
I have promsied more Qesadillas this week, so think I will make more Tortillas tomorrow.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 05:50 PM   #70

Gallery: Galatea
I made nachos - too.

YUMMMY!!
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:56 PM   #71
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: rowdy1
Stats: 5'5"..currently way tooooooooo much!!
WOE: carb monitoring w/yocheese
Start Date: 9/03...terminal uphill battle
Hey all, new to posting on the site...been using it for reference since Sept...this recipe sounds amazing and we love tortillas and crackers! We have been eating the LaTortilla Factory kind and think they work fine (kinda get used to the weird flavors from some of these items) but from the sounds of it, we are really missing out on these homemade ones. Thanks for all the great recipes and tips.
rowdy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:39 PM   #72
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kokopelli40
Stats: 177/current 169(mini 165)/goal135
WOE: Atkins as of 1/19/04
Start Date: 1/08/04
HELP! I made these with carbsense bake mix and they came out extremely dry. They fell apart when I attempted to use them as a wrap and the texture was very dry and crumbly? Does anyone know what I could have done wrong? I did make a cheese crisp with them & they were ok for that.....

TIA for your replies!

You all are B E A utiful!~
kokopelli40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:44 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

kokopelli40....
according to the past posts, you probably cooked them too long. I only cook mine on high for 1 minute, just enough to get the liquid cooked.

Sherrie
Old 02-03-2004, 01:48 PM   #74
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kokopelli40
Stats: 177/current 169(mini 165)/goal135
WOE: Atkins as of 1/19/04
Start Date: 1/08/04
thanks for your quick reply. I tried cooking for a minute, but they were still wet in the middle? I added time each time and still wet until around 1 minute 20 secs....& they were very very thin, some had holes in the middle. did i possibly make the batter to thick or thin?

thanks for much for your help. they did taste awesome!!!

Last edited by kokopelli40; 02-03-2004 at 01:56 PM..
kokopelli40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:03 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

my batter looks like pancake batter and I spread it so that there are no thin looking spots, mayby you should try to spread it a little thicker. once it cools you can remoce them pretty easy even though it may not look cooked in the center, it probably is.

Sherrie
Old 02-03-2004, 05:42 PM   #76

I made a batch using wheat protein isolate as the isolate ingredient within the fake bake mix instead of soy protein isolate and it was great and easier to make - much easier than the first batch. You have to thin this batter out quite a bit. You can't get "holes" if your batter is thin enough. Ifyour batter is too thick and you are spreading it by hand, then you get holes.

Mine are eggy and dougy in the center when I take them off the parchment, but after I throw it in a skillet on lo/warm it finishes off andisn't dough and eggy. They are very pliable and easily can be used as wraps. If I cook them longer - either in the pan or the microwave they are no longer pliable.

HTH

Last edited by Galatea; 02-03-2004 at 05:45 PM..
Old 02-03-2004, 05:50 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
Motts, is your baking powder old? This helps the tortillas puff up a little and it can go stale. Learned that lesson the hard way with biscuits once (more like bread bricks).
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 04:44 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nomoreww
what does pan toasting them mean? once they come out of microwave , why can't you just put them in refrigerator?

thanks
nomoreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 07:47 PM   #79
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: annieabc
Sherrilee! You are my new best friend! I love your tortilla recipe! I just made them this evening and they are wonderful- I would have never thought you could do that using the microwave and skillet. I put parmesan and some dried basil in part of my batter, and they taste so great! Next time I'm going to try this jalapeno popcorn salt we bought at Target- I think it'll make dynamite fajita wraps. The possibilities are endless- Thank you so much for sharing your cooking skills with us!

Annie
annieabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:12 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

nomoreww...toasting them in the pan finishes the cooking and gives them the look of a tortilla. Cooking them completely is the main reason.

Sherrie
Old 02-04-2004, 08:34 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pam40
Stats: 213/175/160
WOE: Whole foods, balanced diet
Start Date: 02/07/13
I've made these tortillas twice now and just love them. Today I did make a few modifications in order to cut the carbs and calories just a bit.

I made some yocheese yesterday using the Carb Countdown 2% milk. I then used this yocheese as a replacement for the cream cheese and also used the CC milk instead of cream in the recipe. They came out wonderful. I used them as a base for some creamy chicken enchiladas. Thanks so much for this idea Sherrielee!
Pam40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:44 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lifer
Stats: Unhealthy/better/best
WOE: Low carb, real food.
Start Date: May, 2009
I made these a couple of days ago using carbsense 0 carb bake mix and used carb countdown milk w/white vinegar (only set for 5 minutes) for the buttermilk (a tweak on what Galatea suggested) and Diabetisweet for the Splenda (to cut carbs further). I got 10 tortillas out of it. They were very fragile though we managed to eat chicken quesadillas out of them. The taste was wonderful! I think I may have cooked them a little too long (1 min 30 sec in microwave and pulled them off slightly "wet" and then onto the tortilla griddle till browned on both sides), thus the problem with them being fragile. I'll definitely be making these often and can see why this recipe would make some awesome tasting buns (which I plan to try also).

Thanks again, Sherrielee!

Karen
Old 02-05-2004, 12:17 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Boo1
Start Date: July 21, 2003
I know I sound dumb

53 yo and I have never heard of a spilpat. Would someone please tell me what it is.
Boo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 12:26 PM   #84

Re: I know I sound dumb

Quote:
Originally posted by Boo1
53 yo and I have never heard of a spilpat. Would someone please tell me what it is.
Its a silcon type sheet that looks like a rubber sheet. You can bake with things on it and it is super no stick - like parchment. You can use it forever.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:04 PM   #85
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: neeta
Stats: 164/137/130
WOE: atkins
Start Date: jan 2004
theese sound great, im going shopping 2moro to se if i can find the igrediants but ther ins'nt very much choice in england we havent got all the atkins range yet .
i havent done any baking since going on atkins im now on my 4th week (still induction) and i long to make somthing new these sound just the job. has anybody got any ideas to what else i could use as a flour/soy soya protein isolate? substitute? thanks
neeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:20 PM   #86
TrishC

Gallery: TrishC
Yum, just tried these and these are the best tasting "fake" flour bread/tortilla's I've had yet...you go sherrielee!! You rock!
Old 02-05-2004, 04:21 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

I know I sound dumb

Old 02-06-2004, 04:46 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Thank You

Galatea
Thank you so much for answering my question about the silpat.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:52 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: beva47
Bump
beva47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:57 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: beva47
Just made these and used them for mini pizza's. They were so easy. There cooling now.. YUM. I used Carbsense instead of Adkins.
beva47 is offline   Reply With Quote