Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Psyllium hulls?

I think I remember a recipe from this board that included psyllium hulls. Does that ring a bell?

Do any of you use natural psyllium hulls in your recipes? I remember seeing a recipe using this somewhere and I just mentually subbed flax seed, but I wanted to try it with the psyllium.

I bought it as a natural fiber (nothing added, just psyllium) but it's VERY natural and it tastes like wood chips. NO lie! So, now I have this big honking container of it and don't know what to do with it.

I guess I could feed it to the chickens ;D, maybe they'd lay more eggs, tee hee!

Anyone know about this? Thanks!

MG
RealFoodLiving is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2004, 12:56 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slots
Stats: 181/130/125ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/21/2003
These are really good

Psyllium Pancakes

The basic recipe is Induction legal

Basic recipe:

2 eggs
2 level teaspoons psyllium husk
1 tbsp flax seed (rounded)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Splenda
2 tbsp heavy cream

Optional additions:
1/4 tsp cinnamon and a few drops of vanilla extract are also quite nice.

Blend all ingredients, adding psyllium husks last, and allow the batter to stand for at least 5 minutes to thicken, while you heat the pan.
When it bubbles and browns, turn it over carefully with a wide spatula. This recipe makes one serving of 2 pancakes and a bit less than 4 net carbs in total.

Many of the low carb pancake syrups are too thin to have a good mouth feel. I suggest blending them with softened (almost melted) butter, or with sour cream.
You can make delicious cinnamon pancake butter by mixing a low carb syrup with softened butter and cinnamon.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:58 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slots
Stats: 181/130/125ish
Start Date: 8/21/2003
Forgot to tell you, that I also add a slightly rounded Tablespoon of Flax Meal ... good for ya !
Slots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 06:50 AM   #4
wingie

Gallery: wingie
I remember someone posting a recipe for crackers made with psyllium husk, but I couldn't find it later when I went looking for it. They sounded really simple to make.
Does anyone have it?
Thanks
Old 01-24-2004, 07:14 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: lulu1125
Start Date: Started June 15 2003, REstarted Sept 5 2003
This is a recipe by Dottie that I found - looks interesting!!!

Psyllium husks!
Seriously- mix 3-4T of psyllium(unflavored)with a pinch of salt, pepper, garlic powder(optional), about a teaspoon of olive oil and enough water to make a thick but spreadable paste.
Spread on parchment paper very thin then nuke until it looks 'dry' on top. Let cool and break into cracker sized pieces.
Loads of fiber, so make sure you drink plenty of water

I do this in 3-4 batches because if you nuke a big sheet of them, the get burned on the outside areas and still damp in the center of the sheet
lulu1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:56 AM   #6
wingie

Thanks lulu! That's not the one I was thinking of, but sounds interesting.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:07 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wingnut,
here's some I found, but haven't made them.

Author Comment
Phos4us
Chef la Vida
(4/5/02 1:29 pm)
Reply Birgit's Psyllium Crackers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted on (9/19/01 7:23:28 pm)

Ok guys ... I have been experimenting again ... yeah I know ... so what else is new
I found a source of the psyllium husk powder ... initially to use it in the bread but so far that hasn't worked well for me at all ... can you say paving stones?!
Anyway ... so I have this stuff and I figured there's gotta be another way of using this pretty much zero carb stuff.
So I did the following:

0.5 cups of psyllium husk powder
2 1/4 cups water
1 egg
0.5 cups cheese (I used a mixture of various cheeses)
2 tbsp Tahini (sesame butter)
salt, pepper and other seasonings to taste (I used salt, lemon pepper, a little onion powder and a little garlic powder)

Throw it all in a blender and whizz (don't try and mix this in a bowl by hand ... all you get is lumps as the powder thickens immidiately it touches the water). Spoon into a bowl and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450 F.

Place little 1/4" marbles of the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.... space them well apart. Oil the bottom of a flat cup or glass and flaten each little marble as much and as thinly as you can. Put cookie sheet in the oven for about 10 min ... take them out and flatten them again with the glass (no oiling necessary this time). Turn the oven onto broil and leave the chips in there for about 7 minutes, then turn the oven down to 300 and leave them in there until they are crispy through and through (they turn very dark brown naturally during baking). You might want to turn them around toward the last 5 minutes ... they will come easily off the parchment at this point!

I got about 150 ( ) of those huge chips ... they taste great (ok so they look a little ugly in their deep brown but hey ... ) ... and ya know ... the best part is that the whole batch only yielded 8g ecc. ....basically that means that this is one food that you can munch along and don't really have to watch the carbs. If you however are sensitive to fiber ... these aren't your thing ... according to life form the batch has 27g protein, 106 carbs and a whopping 98g fiber !!

They are a bit of work to prepare ... but when making a big batch like this they will last a while and I find it worth it !

PS: For those of you who have a food dehydrator... I kinda got tired waiting for the last batch to dry out, so I placed the chips in the dehydrator as soon as the edges started getting crispy and finished them off in there. Works just as good and that way you don't have to watch them !

Shirley's phsylli cinnamon crackers
Thursday, 15-Jul-1999 10:26:58
208.251.171.123 writes:

Shirley's phsylli cinnamon crackers 1/4 cup phsyllium husks 3 tablespoons melted butter 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 2 tablespoons splenda a pinch of salt 1/2 cup water Blend together the water, salt,splenda, and cinnamon. combine the phsyllium and melted butter. Mix well. Add the water mixture and blend very well until thickened. Press out between two sheets of waxed paper until thin and evenly smooth. Cut into desired shape. Place on foil lined cookie sheet and bake 25 minutes at 375 degrees. These smell good and taste very good.

Snacks and Appetizers
Flax Crackers
Imported from the Usenet-group: alt.support.diet.low-carb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients
1/2 Cup flax seeds
1/2 Cup whey protein
1/2 Cup psyllium husks
1 tsp baking powder

1 egg
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup water
olive oil

Preparing
Basic Mix: Measure a half cup of flax seeds, and grind them in a little coffee grinder. Put in a bowl and add a half cup of whey protein powder (another sort might work, even soy powder, but would be higher in carbs), and a half cup of psyllium husks. Add 1 tsp of baking powder and mix completely.

Store that in a lidded container in your fridge.

To make the crackers, put an egg in your food processer with a 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 cup of water. Process and then slowly add approx 3/4 cup of the above basic mix. Stop adding and processing when the mixture is stiff and coming away from the sides of the bowl.

Put a little olive oil in a plate. Tear off little bits of dough, dip them in the oil and use your fingers and palms to shape flat little wafer type things, and place on an oven tray. About a teaspoon full of dough is about right, to get 25 to 30 little crackers. The bit of oil stops them from sticking, both to your hands and to the tray.

Cook at 300 to 325 degrees for 10-15 minutes, turning them over once during the process. Store in a lidded container.

Dietwatch didn't have psyllium or flax seeds in it, and I bought both those items "plain-pack", so I don't know the exact count. I figure approx 2 grams fibre per cracker though, and because they are so healthy I am not concerned with the carb count. I am sure 2 of them must be less than one gram though. I'm going to have a couple with my morning coffee at work tomorrow!
Old 01-24-2004, 08:11 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's a couple more:

* Exported from MasterCook *

CRACKERS PSYLLIUM HUSK

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : 0-5G Low Carb Bakery Cookies-Biscuits Savory
Znew Znew2001

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 tbsp psyllium husk powder
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp onion powder -- or garlic powder
1/2 cup Water
increments - used approx. 1 1/2 cups.

There were not complete mixing and cooking instructions with this recipe, but this is what I did:
Mixed psyllium, olive oil, salt garlic and 1/2 cup of water. Mixed by hand.
Added another 1/4 cup water and mixed again by hand.
Added another 1/2 cup and got out the electric mixer.
This is the most slimy, gooey mess of a batter you've ever seen in your life!! :-)
Sprayed a cookie sheet liberally with non stick spray and spread the mixture as thin as possible, keeping my fingertips wet (that was part of a tip). The batter was still chunky - wasn't sure this was the consistency I was looking for, but it worked.
I cooked it @ 200°F- 100°C for approx. 1 1/2 hours.
(Not sure - started at 30 minutes and every time I checked it was still a bit 'wet' so I'd set the timer for another 15-20 minutes.
Broke it up into pieces and placed in a air tight Tupperware. They're really quite good

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 14 Calories; 1g Fat (69.2% calories from fat); trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 535mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : The AUSSIE Low Carb Gourmet Tony Blakemore jan. 2001
[color=red]removed.[/color]
Over 5,000 Low Carb, LC Diabetic, LC Kosher Recipes

FLAX CRACKERS

Recipe By :Imported from the Usenet-group:
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:25
Categories : 0-5G Low Carb Bakery Cookies-Biscuits Savory
Znew Znew2001

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup whey protein Isolate
1/2 cup psyllium husks
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup water
olive oil

Basic Mix: Measure a half cup of flax seeds, and grind them in a little coffee grinder. Put in a bowl and add a half cup of whey protein powder (another sort might work, even soy powder, but would be higher in carbs), and a half cup of psyllium husks. Add 1 tsp of baking powder and mix completely.
Store that in a lidded container in your fridge.
To make the crackers, put an egg in your food processor with a 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 cup of water. Process and then slowly add approx 3/4 cup of the above
basic mix. Stop adding and processing when the mixture is stiff and coming away from the sides of the bowl.
Put a little olive oil in a plate. Tear off little bits of dough, dip them in the oil and use your fingers and palms to shape flat little wafer type things, and place on an oven tray. About a teaspoon full of dough is about right, to get 25 to 30 little crackers. The bit of oil stops them from sticking, both to your hands and to the tray.

Cook at 300°F-150°C to 325°F-160°C for 10-15 minutes, turning them over once during the process. Store in a lidded container.

Diet watch didn't have psyllium or flax seeds in it, and I bought both those items "plain-pack", so I don't know the exact count. I figure approx 2 grams fibre per cracker though, and because they are so healthy I am not concerned with the carb count. I am sure 2 of them must be less than one gram though.
I'm going to have a couple with my morning coffee at work tomorrow!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 22 Calories; 1g Fat (50.0% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 8mg Cholesterol; 48mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : The AUSSIE Low Carb Gourmet Tony Blakemore Nov. 2000
[color=red]removed.[/color]
Over 5,000 Low Carb, LC Diabetic, LC Kosher Recipes
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 621 0 0 0 0 0
Old 01-24-2004, 08:28 AM   #9
wingie

Thanks MountainGirl, I'm going to try one of those soon. Good detective work.