Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/191978-cinnamon-swirl-coffee-cake.html)

Bfranke 01-14-2004 06:28 PM

Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake

I got a flyer in the mail yesterday from Splenda with a $1.00 coupon for the bigger bags of Splenda. Well, the flyer was a little recipe book, and the Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake looked wonderful.
With some adaptations, I made it......invited another couple over for coffee tonight. And I don't have to worry about how long the leftovers will last, as while the cake made 16 pieces, there are only 5 left!!!

Here it is as written: (me: adapatations)
Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
3 c cake flour (Cake Flour Substitute below)
1 T BP
3/4 t soda
1/2 c butter (me: 2 oz coconut oil, 2 oz butter)
1 1/3 splenda (me: 1/3 c xylitol, 1/8 tsp liquid sucralose, 1 T cyclamate)
1 egg (me: 2 eggs, didn't use the egg subst.)
1/4 c egg subst.
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce (me: 6 oz pear baby food)
1 1/2 c light sour cream (me: since I used 6 oz pears, I only needed 1 1/4 c sour cream.....but I used 1/2 c reg sour cream and 3/4 c yogurt)
Fillling
3 T brown sugar (me: 1 T molasses, couple more drops sucralose concentrate)
2 T cinnamon
1/2 c chopped walnuts (me: recipe did not call for walnuts, but they were a nice touch...will add them again.)
Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 10" tube pan or non stick bundt pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
Sift dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients, add dry. Beat until smooth.
Make filling: Place 1/4 c batter in a small bowl. Add the molasses, cinnamon, sucralose and walnuts. Stir well.
Place 1/2 of cake batter in prepared pan. Top with filling. Swirl with knife. Top with remaining batter.
Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 min, or till toothpick comes out clean.

Cake Flour Substitute
1 c oat flour
1 c barley flour
100 g (1 c) almond flour or pecan flour (me: I used pecan flour, as that is all I have right now)
50 g (1 c) Wheat Protein Isolate
100 g (1 c) Whey protein Concentrate
1 t Xanthan gum
Sift together at least 4 times.

lgpars 01-14-2004 09:22 PM

This sounds really good but what is whey protein concentrate? I don't think I've heard of anything called "concentrate." How was the texture of this cake? Was it like a real cake or what?

Bfranke 01-15-2004 02:11 PM

The texture was a little heavier than a cake, more like.......a coffee cake. I suspect that using the real fine almond flour that some use would make this more delicate, like cake usually is.
The Whey protein concentrate I buy from All the Way dot com. I would use most any whey protein, I guess, vanilla flavored. Or not, and add more vanilla. The All the Whey is just the cheapest one with very low carbs that I have found and it works well for baking. I was using Optimum Nutritions whey (the lowest carb one) and found this one and like it just as well.
Bette

lgpars 01-15-2004 02:18 PM

Thanks, Bette, I am going to have to try this soon.

rediscovering me 01-16-2004 09:29 PM

Thank you this sounds wonderful. And a big thank you on the cake flour substitute recipe, I'll have to start looking for those ingredients!