Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2004, 08:36 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miabelle
Stats: 193/179/150
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: January 2004
Deviled Egg Storage Questions...

Hi, all! I have a couple of deviled egg questions...

1. What's the best way to store them after they're made? I like to make 6 eggs at a time, which leaves me with 12 halfs... and I like to take 2 pieces to work each day for breakfast. I don't want to leave them exposed for fear they'll dry out, but when I cover them, they get all wet.....

2. How long do deviled eggs last in the fridge?

3. Does anyone have a favorite recipe (withOUT celery, ICK!) that they can share (or direct me to)?

THANKS A MILLION!
miabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 AM   #2

Gallery:
1. I just store them in a tupper ware. I didn't have any problems with them getting wet. Maybe line the bottom with paper towel? Make sure they're cold before you put the lid on. I can see the steam causing this.

2. According to FDA, "Use hard-cooked eggs (in the shell or peeled) within 1 week after cooking."

3. The best ones are Josie's Perfect Deviled Eggs, minus the parsley. It's in the "Awsome Appetizers" thread up in the sticky section. I made 6 eggs, and I ate the whole thing in 1 day!!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
sarahj

Gallery: sarahj
Can't really help you with the first two questions- sorry!

The way I make deviled eggs is to add some mayo, a dash of mustard, little splenda, then some grated cheddar cheese and bacon (cooked & crumbled). That's my fav but good without the cheese and bacon too!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:42 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Awesome info - thanks!! I especially appreciate the FDA info on the "fridge life" of hard cooked eggs - thank you! And I'll definitely be checking out the recipes. Would you believe I'd never had a deviled egg until I turned 30???!!! haha...

So far, I've only made plain old deviled eggs with mayo/mustard, but I'm definitely going to try something new and adventurous. Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:46 AM   #5

Gallery:
I wanted to edit my post, but something went wrong.... I wanted to add that I've seen tupperwares made specifically for deviled eggs. They have little egg wholes in them. I haven't seen them in a while, so I'm not sure if they still make them.

I'm also not sure if shelf life of deviled eggs are the same as plain, hard-cooked eggs. Chances are, you won't keep them around for that long anyway - they're so good!!
Old 01-14-2004, 10:26 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I make up 6 at a time too, my recipe is 1/2 cup mayo,3 Tbsp mustard, 1 Tbsp vinegar, lots of pepper and little salt. I line my tupperware with paper towels and let cool in frig before adding the lid, this is key to no water ? if you want something a little different then add 1 Tbsp dill relish. and use a pastry bag.
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:42 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I never make them up before I store them. Instead, I throw all the whites ina tupperware and put the yolk mixture in a plastic baggie. When I am ready to eat them, I snip off the corner of the plastic baggie and squeeze the yolk mixture into the whites and sprinkle with paprika. This makes them prettier too! LOL!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:43 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thanks again! Now I see the error of my ways - I WAS putting them in the fridge right after preparing, so maybe the fact that they were warm is what's creating all that moisture! Those buggers are slippery, too!

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 01-14-2004, 12:46 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: lulu1125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Started June 15 2003, REstarted Sept 5 2003
Sometimes I make mine with Trader Joe's wasabi mayonaise for a little kick! Yum!
lulu1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 03:59 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
The tupperwares that are made specifically for deviled eggs (someone mentioned them above) - they sell those at my Superwalmart. I just saw them the other day there.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:07 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Guess where I'm going after work to look for an egg tray! THANKS for the tip!
Old 01-14-2004, 04:23 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kellees24
Stats: more than I would like
WOE: depends on my mood
I have a tupperware egg holder and I LOVE IT. They usually come out right around easter (soon ). I did learn a wonderful trick for traveling with them, too. Sprinkle a little flour (if you still keep it in your house) into the egg holder (no, you will not consume the flour), put your eggs in and voila, no more sliding eggs.
Kellees24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:09 PM   #13
ohgayla

Gallery: ohgayla
I have a spice called chervel. It is wonderful in deviled eggs. you only need like 1/4 tsp for six eggs. It doesn't really do anything for other foods. But, I tell you it really helps out deviled eggs. It isn't spicy. it is very hard to explain, but, It kinda helps mellow out the mustard taste or something. try it, it is great:
Old 01-18-2004, 07:11 PM   #14
ohgayla

Gallery: ohgayla
oops. that would be chervil. sorry
Old 01-18-2004, 07:26 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lifer
Stats: Unhealthy/better/best
WOE: Low carb, real food.
Start Date: May, 2009
Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth...

You mentioned wanting to take two halves to work. What came to mind was placing the two flat sides together (so they form a "whole" egg) and wrapping it in saran wrap. I know you wouldn't be able to pile the filling up the way you might normally do but that's my thought.

I always use mayo, mustard and dill pickle (including a little bit of the juice).

Karen
Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:26 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
If you line the bottom of your container with paper towel, it will keep the eggs from getting wet.

Try putting a little mustard, mayo, salt, pepper, very finely chopped celery, and sugar-free sweet pickle relish in your eggs. Yum! I use the Mt. Olive Splenda sweetened sweet relish. It is really good.
lgpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:40 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Yum!

spicy mustard, mayo, pepper, celery salt and old bay seasoning!

marieze
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote